Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Guys. Strava is shafting us. Features like leader boards for segments, your training dashboard, and route planning are going behind a pay wall. :wtf:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

fledonfoot wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:17 pm I "figured it out" mostly. If I ignore watts and speed but vigilantly keep my heart rate under 170 then I can ride for a long time (for me). By about 50 minutes in my ass is so fucking sore that I might as well be cell mates with :[user not found]: but the rest of my body feels mostly fine. Good thing I have a standing desk. I can't sit down.

Of course, staying under 170 bpm means that I am riding at all of 9 fucking miles per hour... Dangerously slow.

Something seems odd to me here.

Load up zwift and do a spin down in Zwift - at the device selection screen there should be a little wrench icon that you can go in and perform an in-game spindown too.

That seems way off to me.
It's called being weak.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:14 pm Guys. Strava is shafting us. Features like leader boards for segments, your training dashboard, and route planning are going behind a pay wall. :wtf:
I saw that email. They did a nice job making it seem heartfelt :doe:

I may look into the paid version at some point... honestly though, I'd rather they just used ads.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:14 pm Guys. Strava is shafting us. Features like leader boards for segments, your training dashboard, and route planning are going behind a pay wall. :wtf:
They aren’t profitable. They’re going to need cash sooner or later.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:31 pm
I saw that email. They did a nice job making it seem heartfelt :doe:

I may look into the paid version at some point... honestly though, I'd rather they just used ads.
:dat:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:26 pm
fledonfoot wrote:
Something seems odd to me here.

Load up zwift and do a spin down in Zwift - at the device selection screen there should be a little wrench icon that you can go in and perform an in-game spindown too.

That seems way off to me.
It's called being weak.
Something is not right with your setup. You ride faster and for longer outdoors, right?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:58 pm Also I’ve been paying for Strava for a few years now. It’s a good app, I like data. Good services are never free.
How many dollhairs?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:13 pm
Apex wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:09 pm

How many dollhairs?

I do the annual membershit - I think it’s $60 for the year?
Oh that’s not bad.
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:05 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:26 pm It's called being weak.
Something is not right with your setup. You ride faster and for longer outdoors, right?
Not really, plus I ride a lot harder without the HR in front of me. The best I have ever done is like 16-17 mph at 175 bpm during the 7-8 mi flatter section of my old loop.

Taking out the giant hill at the end of this virtual ride puts it at around 8.5 miles at ~14 mph with a 154 bpm average. I had to drop to my lowest 30 front 32 rear gear to make it up the last stupid hill at 3 mph.

I'm fucking weak and slow. The only rides over 10 miles I have done involved LONG breaks in the middle sitting on a bench. Even the 10 mile loop I always stopped in the middle for at least a couple of minutes.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:48 pm Not really, plus I ride a lot harder without the HR in front of me. The best I have ever done is like 16-17 mph at 175 bpm during the 7-8 mi flatter section of my old loop.

Taking out the giant hill at the end of this virtual ride puts it at around 8.5 miles at ~14 mph with a 154 bpm average. I had to drop to my lowest 30 front 32 rear gear to make it up the last stupid hill at 3 mph.

I'm fucking weak and slow. The only rides over 10 miles I have done involved LONG breaks in the middle sitting on a bench. Even the 10 mile loop I always stopped in the middle for at least a couple of minutes.
What did you expect, to be some cycling phenom right off the bat? That only happens with farm boys who have :derp: strength.

Your body has not developed the muscle specificity or endurance for riding, but that comes with time. Keep at it. You’ll get faster and stronger.
Seems like other beginners can all do 2+ hr rides at 15+ mph, even 200+ lb dudes... With no training I did 7-8 minute miles on foot fairly easily so yeah I expected to not be the slowest person I have ever heard of on the bike. Obviously I was :wrong: and like most things it'll be harder for me than for most people.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:44 am
[user not found] wrote:
What did you expect, to be some cycling phenom right off the bat? That only happens with farm boys who have :derp: strength.

Your body has not developed the muscle specificity or endurance for riding, but that comes with time. Keep at it. You’ll get faster and stronger.
Seems like other beginners can all do 2+ hr rides at 15+ mph, even 200+ lb dudes... With no training I did 7-8 minute miles on foot fairly easily so yeah I expected to not be the slowest person I have ever heard of on the bike. Obviously I was :wrong: and like most things it'll be harder for me than for most people.
It is weird how people are good at different things. I'm a horrific runner and there's really only been one year where I gave running a decent effort. With no training at all my first miles were in the 9 minute range and even by the fall I was still in the high 7 minute range on my 3+ mile runs. But yeah, a 2 hour ride at 15 mph is a casual ride for me on a roadie. :iono:
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

Trek store hooked it up for fixing the bike again yesterday.

I think I mentioned the pinky finger sized blister on the rear tire halfway into my ride last Wednesday which turned into a flat overnight; finally got a chance to drop it off yesterday to get a quick service done after its initial break in period and then they replaced the tire and tube without charging me for it. Looks like they even bumped it up to a Bontrager R2...I say that slightly sarcastically since the only difference seems to be dimples on the rolled edges of the rubber lol.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:58 pm Also I’ve been paying for Strava for a few years now. It’s a good app, I like data. Good services are never free.
Yeah I really love it. I haven't needed the "paid" version up to this point but wouldn't mind kicking them a few bucks either way.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:44 am
[user not found] wrote:

Nah man. It's difficult to put a finger on for me personally as I've always owned a bike and never been a true beginner. In college I commuted to school on my bike, in my early 20s I mountain biked a bit, rode around casually some, etc.

I remember going on my friend Matt's bachelor party in Montreal and a bunch of us decided to rent bikes and ride around the city. Our grand total ride was like 8 miles with a bunch of stops to look at stuff. This was probably 8 miles over at least two hours. Half of the dudes were nearly in tears, just pathetic honestly. But there is a real world example of at least 5 20 something year old guys f various sizes worse than biking at biking than you.

On the flip side, my wife and I rode 19 miles in under two hours on our honey moon and she doesn't really exercise at all and did that with relative ease... probably just because she grew up on a farm :lolol:
Johnny_P

Lisa can do like 8 on a flat road. And then she’s completely wiped out for the rest of the day.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:02 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:44 am Seems like other beginners can all do 2+ hr rides at 15+ mph, even 200+ lb dudes... With no training I did 7-8 minute miles on foot fairly easily so yeah I expected to not be the slowest person I have ever heard of on the bike. Obviously I was :wrong: and like most things it'll be harder for me than for most people.
Nah man. It's difficult to put a finger on for me personally as I've always owned a bike and never been a true beginner. In college I commuted to school on my bike, in my early 20s I mountain biked a bit, rode around casually some, etc.

I remember going on my friend Matt's bachelor party in Montreal and a bunch of us decided to rent bikes and ride around the city. Our grand total ride was like 8 miles with a bunch of stops to look at stuff. This was probably 8 miles over at least two hours. Half of the dudes were nearly in tears, just pathetic honestly. But there is a real world example of at least 5 20 something year old guys f various sizes worse than biking at biking than you.

On the flip side, my wife and I rode 19 miles in under two hours on our honey moon and she doesn't really exercise at all and did that with relative ease... probably just because she grew up on a farm :lolol:
Farm :massles: are no joke.
troyguitar

Day 2: Re-re-re-checked trainer calibration and tire pressure, no issues.

Big change was actually choosing a route that's relatively flat. 21 ft/mile instead of 150+ ... apparently I am really really terrible at going up hills. The other thing I noticed is that my power/speed fall off a cliff as the pain in my ass from sitting on this damn thing increases, plus I have to drop to damn near a full stop in order to cool down or recover. On this flat-ish route during the 40 minutes of riding without counting the warmup/cooldown portions I did 124 watts at 164 bpm, 16 "miles" per hour. So like 33% better performance overnight. DEM GAINZZZ BRO. :yeahok:

My ass was still fucking killing me at even 30 minutes in and it's hardly bearable by 50 minutes. I feel like my legs could indeed go for 2+ hours if kept at a slow enough pace, but I need a smaller butt plug to :dealwithit:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3483513723/overview

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:58 pm Day 2: Re-re-re-checked trainer calibration and tire pressure, no issues.

Big change was actually choosing a route that's relatively flat. 21 ft/mile instead of 150+ ... apparently I am really really terrible at going up hills. The other thing I noticed is that my power/speed fall off a cliff as the pain in my ass from sitting on this damn thing increases, plus I have to drop to damn near a full stop in order to cool down or recover. On this flat-ish route during the 40 minutes of riding without counting the warmup/cooldown portions I did 124 watts at 164 bpm, 16 "miles" per hour. So like 33% better performance overnight. DEM GAINZZZ BRO. :yeahok:

My ass was still fucking killing me at even 30 minutes in and it's hardly bearable by 50 minutes. I feel like my legs could indeed go for 2+ hours if kept at a slow enough pace, but I need a smaller butt plug to :dealwithit:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3483513723/overview

:nice:

I'd definitely check out some of the padded boxers/shorts, should help your issue a lot and less than $15 on Amazon.
Johnny_P

Padded shorts are good. I like bib shorts. Bike not comfy to ride for any real length of time without the diaper butt. To a bar sure but a real ride naw.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Or just get one of these seats like I have on my road bike, my ass never hurts. I rode two hours this morning, no diaper, no issues. I was just wearing basketball shorts over some tights and a long sleeve work out tee (it's a little chilly today).
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Bib shorts changed my life.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

The only bibs I know of are what you give babies to eat with in a futile attempt to reduce their mess.
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:52 pm The only bibs I know of are what you give babies to eat with in a futile attempt to reduce their mess.
These are the liners I ride with:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GSOZ8VI/re ... XEbPBMXJ55
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I have these I posted a page or two ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C1 ... UTF8&psc=1
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

https://www.theblackbibs.com/shop?categ ... %20Apparel

I have a couple pairs from where. Super solid and fantastic value.

Read their sizing guides closely.