Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:34 pm Image

It begins.
:popcorn:

I'm going to be :jelly:, that's the bike I really wanted.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:54 am
coogles wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:23 am

Anything’s for sale at the right price. :dillerman:
ha, no point now. The Trance is fine, I just didn't want to spend that much on my mtb.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:23 am

I made the mistake of totaling up what I've spent to make this happen. Turned into a 2 bike overhaul and a build on the third...

Fox 36, Fox Transfer and SLX M7120 brakes for the new Occam frame when it arrives so I can use the 34, transfer and XT 8000 brakes on the Scout. GX drivetrain for the Intrigue so I can use her NX stuff. Frame, Spank wheels, Rekon+ tires, custom hoses/cables, saddle, grips, bar, stem, Saint pedals...

As usual, I went a bit nuts.

Never fully custom spec'd out a bike from scratch before and may never do it again, so I figured what the hell... let's make something special and unique.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:01 am

ha, no point now. The Trance is fine, I just didn't want to spend that much on my mtb.
Could buy a Trance 29 Pro 3 for what I've got into this mess so far.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:08 am Could buy a Trance 29 Pro 3 for what I've got into this mess so far.
Dang. I'd have just bought a complete bike, I think the 290 Comp was $1,499 or something when I was looking? I ended up dropping $3,100 on the Trance. :wasteful:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:30 am
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:08 am Could buy a Trance 29 Pro 3 for what I've got into this mess so far.
Dang. I'd have just bought a complete bike, I think the 290 Comp was $1,499 or something when I was looking? I ended up dropping $3,100 on the Trance. :wasteful:
Yeah, the Comp was there, and then they had a $2200 Race version with a Fox 36 Rhythm, SLX drivetrain and some cheap DT Swiss wheels.

They don't sell it as a 27.5+ bike, and that's what I decided to go with.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:06 am

I made the mistake of totaling up what I've spent to make this happen. Turned into a 2 bike overhaul and a build on the third...

Fox 36, Fox Transfer and SLX M7120 brakes for the new Occam frame when it arrives so I can use the 34, transfer and XT 8000 brakes on the Scout. GX drivetrain for the Intrigue so I can use her NX stuff. Frame, Spank wheels, Rekon+ tires, custom hoses/cables, saddle, grips, bar, stem, Saint pedals...

As usual, I went a bit nuts.

Never fully custom spec'd out a bike from scratch before and may never do it again, so I figured what the hell... let's make something special and unique.
I kinda want to do a frame-up build on a full-squish at some point. Seems like a fun way to blow a few grand...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

How fucked am I? And what the fuck happened to my tar? Fixed one tiny puncture and now this.

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:pouroneout:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:59 pm How fucked am I? And what the fuck happened to my tar? Fixed one tiny puncture and now this.

That's odd.
Is the bead seated on the rim all the way around? Like is the sidewall of the tire pulled under itself? Or is the rim bent there, like rubbing the brake pads at that spot?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I got some new shifter cables for the road bike as mine were mucked up and sticking in the little pass throughs on the bottom of the frame. So. my dumbass didn't realize that you can just pull the cables through the shift levers, so I took these apart:
One of #14 screws was missing, and in reassembling them, it doesn't seem like they will work without it. I also managed to lose one of the #9 slot washers. All of this should be easy to source at a hardware store, but... can't go to one. Any reason to not just put one side back together and roll with only the rear derailleur for now?

I started to go down the rabbit trail of upgrading to non down tube shifters, but that seems like it puts you in new bike territory really quickly.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:32 pm
I started to go down the rabbit trail of upgrading to non down tube shifters, but that seems like it puts you in new bike territory really quickly.
I am not the person you want to talk to right now. :lol:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:21 pm
You have a talent... or something. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:mahman:

I'm :notsure: if I'll actually like road biking post COVID :lolol: So I don't think I want to go full :boxodicks:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:09 pm

I'm :notsure: if I'll actually like road biking post COVID :lolol: So I don't think I want to go full :boxodicks:
You can probably find some cheap ones on eBay or something.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:09 pm

They do seem to be available... but I'm considering giving these a whirl, can't see why it wouldn't work. https://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-SLM10-Fr ... B007QMJH86
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:19 pm

They do seem to be available... but I'm considering giving these a whirl, can't see why it wouldn't work. https://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-SLM10-Fr ... B007QMJH86
Those seem to be handlebar mount shifters. Maybe just make sure they can work on a typical down tube shifter post. If you want to put them on the bars you’ll need housing stops to bolt into your frame, and housing long enough to get to the bars. It’s easy to trim to length if you have shears or wire cutters.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:40 pm Griff, you should be able to find someone selling old take-off downtube shifters on eBay. Same goes for newer brifters (brake lever shifters).
:word: I did find the down tube shifters, just thought that maybe I could relocate my shifters if I'm already blowing time and money on this I thought perhaps not having down tube shifters would be cool. Do friction brifters exist? Let me look into that.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:18 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:40 pm Griff, you should be able to find someone selling old take-off downtube shifters on eBay. Same goes for newer brifters (brake lever shifters).
:word: I did find the down tube shifters, just thought that maybe I could relocate my shifters if I'm already blowing time and money on this I thought perhaps not having down tube shifters would be cool. Do friction brifters exist? Let me look into that.
Gevenalle or however you spell it. They’re cool. Probably expensive.
You could do the bar top thumb shifters. Looks like that kit has everything except the down tube cable stops which you can get on velo orange for not too much cash.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:59 am

The option you’d have for friction bar shifters would be either bar end shifters ( http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/slr96 ) or ones that would mount on the bars near the stem like these: https://velo-orange.com/collections/shi ... b-shifters

You’re not going to see brifters with a friction shift, otherwise you’d have brake levers at goofy angles.

You could also do a stem shifter setup.
:wrong:

Those bar end shifters are probably what I’d look into, Griff. A little easier to grab, still simple, just need cable stops and housing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The option you’d have for friction bar shifters would be either bar end shifters ( http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/slr96 ) or ones that would mount on the bars near the stem like these: https://velo-orange.com/collections/shi ... b-shifters

You’re not going to see brifters with a friction shift, otherwise you’d have brake levers at goofy angles.

Thanks dude!

That is what I figured. I looked into them a bit but it appears that some major :troywax: would be required.

I think I'll try the VeloOrange things. The bar end shifters still appear to be indexed for the rear... I have a 2Fx6R gear setup... which doesn't seem to be a common thing. I don't want to go down a road of replacing all the components as the bike works fine and I don't want to blow all my :thankstrump: bux on this when I could still get laid off/furloughed. If I still like road biking when cars are back on the road, I may change bikes or get something better for commuting, but for now this bike should be decent with the new :225: , cables, bar tape, and pedals.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:50 am

Thanks dude!

That is what I figured. I looked into them a bit but it appears that some major :troywax: would be required.

I think I'll try the VeloOrange things. The bar end shifters still appear to be indexed for the rear... I have a 2Fx6R gear setup... which doesn't seem to be a common thing. I don't want to go down a road of replacing all the components as the bike works fine and I don't want to blow all my :thankstrump: bux on this when I could still get laid off/furloughed. If I still like road biking when cars are back on the road, I may change bikes or get something better for commuting, but for now this bike should be decent with the new :225: , cables, bar tape, and pedals.
This is a good plan. Lots of great road bikes out there for not a ton of cash, especially used because everyone wants a gravel bike now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apparently VeloOrrange already shipped my shit and is in Annapolis, so it should probably be here by Friday :fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:36 pm Apparently VeloOrrange already shipped my shit and is in Annapolis, so it should probably be here by Friday :fuckyeah:
:boxodicks: incoming
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Some progress...

I’ll have the weekend to finish it properly, I think.

New fork decals are here, I went with the OEM style black/gray. I’m thinking I should have gone with Orange... oh well.