Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:impressive:

I haven't touched my bike in a couple of months now. Got the trainer wheel all built up and ready but have been too lazy to clear space and actually use it. Maybe next week to burn off the turkey.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

My NX Eagle stuff seems to work well? :iono:

Guide T brakes could be beefed up a bit doe.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:45 am I think it's also a case of lower-tier equipment getting a lot better in the last couple years. Carbon wheels used to be for the elite. Now a pleb can rock out with his carboner out.

Interesting to see Giant ditching 27.5, though.
That's a good point too. Years ago, you had 3 sort of good component groups. XTR, XT, SL (X later). Outside of those 3 and Sram equivalents nothing would hold up to real trail abuse.
Now Sram has added more components to the lower end, and Shimano Deore is acceptable for trail usage. And those lower sets get good reviews saying it's a bit more plastic or not as smooth feeling but still durable with good shift quality, so not much to lose.

And yeah I bet Giant (world's largest bike manufacturer) has figured out a way to quickly mass produce a shitload of mid-quality carbon wheels, hence you're seeing it on a lot more of their lineup. And the reality is, a carbon wheel provides a lot more bennies than stepping up from Sram SX to Sram NX.

Wish they wouldn't be cheaping out on the forks quite as much though.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:56 am My NX Eagle stuff seems to work well? :iono:

yeah! exactly. GX was their lower end groupset for a while. Now they added NX and one lower SX but everyone seems happy with them which is awesome.
Sram brakes have been meh for a while. Serviceable, but not quite industry leading power.

The interesting part, to me, is seeing NX on a $4500 build which used to be GX/X0 territory.
Johnny_P

If anyjuan is considering getting some nice high quality lights, Action LEDs is having their annual 25% off Gloworm sale.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/

Code: FRIDAY25

I have the XS and Alpha lightsets. The batteries last a long time and are somewhat compact. Handlebar mount for the XS is great, it's a quick release and stays put. XS is a triple LED unit with 3 power settings, it's almost good enough to use on its own but for trail work you'll probably want another spotlight on your :melon: which is why I got the Alpha to go with it.

For my 50% night ride yesterday I only had the XS and even on MTB trails on my CX bike (read: cautious riding) the middle power level was adequate.

Apparently you can change lenses from spot to flood and whatnot but I haven't :neek: 'd with that.

5/5 purchase, would buy again.
Johnny_P

ALSO also. If anyone wants my old LED light you can just have it. Venmo me a few $ for shipping.

It's a 700 lumen JetLites A-51. Mount it to your helmet and it's usable off road although you'll need to go a bit slower than in daylight. I replaced it because I was out-riding it too often but it works fine. Has a bit of a dark spot in the center of the beam.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Apex wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:56 am My NX Eagle stuff seems to work well? :iono:

Interesting to see your Guides doing the same thing as wifey’s.

They’re 4 piston junk. I’m ditching them for XTs.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:56 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:45 am I think it's also a case of lower-tier equipment getting a lot better in the last couple years. Carbon wheels used to be for the elite. Now a pleb can rock out with his carboner out.

Interesting to see Giant ditching 27.5, though.
That's a good point too. Years ago, you had 3 sort of good component groups. XTR, XT, SL (X later). Outside of those 3 and Sram equivalents nothing would hold up to real trail abuse.
Now Sram has added more components to the lower end, and Shimano Deore is acceptable for trail usage. And those lower sets get good reviews saying it's a bit more plastic or not as smooth feeling but still durable with good shift quality, so not much to lose.

And yeah I bet Giant (world's largest bike manufacturer) has figured out a way to quickly mass produce a shitload of mid-quality carbon wheels, hence you're seeing it on a lot more of their lineup. And the reality is, a carbon wheel provides a lot more bennies than stepping up from Sram SX to Sram NX.

The New Marzocchi Bomber z2 line is a Fox 34 rhythm internal with different lowers and a slightly different crown. The Rhythm is an OEM only fork so now they can offer it to end users in the $500 range.

The giant AM rims on her Intrigue are the same as my Bontrager Line Comps. It appears their carbon hoops are almost identical to the Line Pro rims too.

Which makes sense, seeing as Giant are an OEM for so many major brands.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 pm

Interesting to see your Guides doing the same thing as wifey’s.

They’re 4 piston junk. I’m ditching them for XTs.
:like:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:07 am Ain’t never heard anyone say anything good about Guide anything.
Yeah sadly. The codes seem to review ok but all the Shimano brakes at SLX or above are so damn good anymore there’s no reason not to get them.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:18 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:56 am

The New Marzocchi Bomber z2 line is a Fox 34 rhythm internal with different lowers and a slightly different crown. The Rhythm is an OEM only fork so now they can offer it to end users in the $500 range.

The giant AM rims on her Intrigue are the same as my Bontrager Line Comps. It appears their carbon hoops are almost identical to the Line Pro rims too.

Which makes sense, seeing as Giant are an OEM for so many major brands.
Yeah that was a good move on Fox’s part. Bringing back the bomber name and making it a lower entry cost burlier version of the 34 and 36 chassis.

And I bet you’re right on the ramz. The Bonty ones likely come from Giant.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:17 pm ALSO also. If anyone wants my old LED light you can just have it. Venmo me a few $ for shipping.

It's a 700 lumen JetLites A-51. Mount it to your helmet and it's usable off road although you'll need to go a bit slower than in daylight. I replaced it because I was out-riding it too often but it works fine. Has a bit of a dark spot in the center of the beam.
I’ll take it, Venbro incoming.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:19 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:17 pm ALSO also. If anyone wants my old LED light you can just have it. Venmo me a few $ for shipping.

:sissyfight: I’ll get it shipped out this week!
Johnny_P

Anyone been playing bikes or anything like that?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Too cold and shit weather.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 am Too cold and shit weather.
True, true. We've officially entered frozen vampire weather mode.

If rain holds of this week, I might try and get out with my buddies for a night ride in Belmont or Wiss.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:51 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:19 am

:sissyfight: I’ll get it shipped out this week!
Thanks! No rush, really.

I rode Friday, my buddy was a bit :pussy: so it was a bit shorter/slower than I would like, but still fun. Sherman Branch where we went is one of my favorites around here, quick, flowy, fun.

I am planning to ride Wednesday morning, might freeze my :tits: off but oh well.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 am Too cold and shit weather.
:dat:

Plus I ditched the roof rack, so no easy way to carry the bike anymore. The weatherstripping where the rack goes over the door on my friend's Jetta, who rocks his 24/7, is drooping down like your grandma's :tits:. Decided to pull mine off since I probably wouldn't be riding all winter anyway.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:20 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:12 pm

:dat:

Plus I ditched the roof rack, so no easy way to carry the bike anymore. The weatherstripping where the rack goes over the door on my friend's Jetta, who rocks his 24/7, is drooping down like your grandma's :tits:. Decided to pull mine off since I probably wouldn't be riding all winter anyway.
Just get a SeaSucker rack.

Can go on any car, any time, any where.
Car needs to be kept clean for those to work :disgust:
Johnny_P

I've been getting, no shit, about 5 emails A DAY from Competitive Cyclist re: black friday cyber monday sales :tubeman: :disgust:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:30 pm I've been getting, no shit, about 5 emails A DAY from Competitive Cyclist re: black friday cyber monday sales :tubeman: :disgust:
i cant clear my email fast enough from EVERYTHING.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:36 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:30 pm I've been getting, no shit, about 5 emails A DAY from Competitive Cyclist re: black friday cyber monday sales :tubeman: :disgust:
I gave up.

198+ emails just waiting for me to unsubscribe from whenever I can get some air.
I don't remember them doing this last year. :wtf:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:27 pm Car needs to be kept clean for those to work :disgust:
GTI is almost certainly getting replaced in the spring with who knows what, but bike carrying abilities will be a factor. I imagine a hitch mount will be option #1 so it can swap between whatever I get and the Atlas.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:43 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:27 pm Car needs to be kept clean for those to work :disgust:
GTI is almost certainly getting replaced in the spring with who knows what, but bike carrying abilities will be a factor. I imagine a hitch mount will be option #1 so it can swap between whatever I get and the Atlas.
IMO hitch mount is super ideal. Doesn't cut MPGs, easy to remove when not needed, super easy to load heavy mountain bikes on (seriously, every MTB out there is 30 lbs anymore). If you have a place to store it, and aren't worried about getting rear-ended, go for it.

I'm about 90% convinced a rat faced hybrid Rav4 is what I should get. Carries bikes and dogs easily, nobody cares about it, good MPG and low running costs. I'm so upset with everything lately, man. A part of me sort of thinks I should go full retard on the STI and keep it, get a roof rack, get the fancy coilovers, get a tune, etc, and turn it into an awesome brap machine. A part of me thinks I should just give up on everything I like and accept a life of beige blandness because it's impossible to have anything nice.
Johnny_P

I'm ready to blow my brains out with bike stuff. I'm so overwhelmed with life that I'm literally incapable of doing things like checking out bikes, talking to salespeople about what's in stock and pricing, etc. Full on overload. Too much stuff out there on the market, and prices are so high and bikes are so darn hard to sell used that it's a losing proposition. You should be able to get a ripper of a bike for $3k brand new. The Pivot 5.5 was great, but $6k for an outdated drivetrain isn't going to fly. Especially when you consider I used my MTB about 10 times last year, total. 95% of my riding was on my Macho Man.