Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:30 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:37 pm

Road bikes as cross bikes :wub:
I have done this before.
It's stupid.

Nice ride brah. Now you need some 40 mm tires.
I'm glad I spec'd the bike for 40s now - I definitely want them after Sunday.

I'm amazed I don't have any blisters on my hands. My left foot was on fire for the last 20 miles, too.

What amazes me is that I felt like I was absolutely crawling up the climbs and still set times fast enough to be first or second on the leaderboard. How steep were they. :mindblown:

https://www.strava.com/segments/21875244?filter=overall

https://www.strava.com/segments/21875340?filter=overall

https://www.strava.com/segments/21875354?filter=overall

https://www.strava.com/segments/21875389?filter=overall
Beast
What 40s you looking at? Olde English or Steel Reserve? :pouroneout:

I wonder if my bike can fit 650 x 47
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Whoa. Want.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/allez ... 902-171321

That's... almost reasonable.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:52 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:01 pm Whoa. Want.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/allez ... 902-171321

That's... almost reasonable.
Never been a big Speshul Ed fan but I'm digging the Allez Sprint frames this year.
Friend of mine has one. He got it when his wilier frame split from a stick getting kicked up by the wheel. He liked it. Said it was fast and rode nicely. He doesn’t ride anymore he just drinks a bunch of beer and moved to Cali.

I think they look cool. Aluminum that gives a CAAD a run for its money. IMO it’s the better bike out of those two due to less proprietary crap.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I didn't look at the geometry or anything, that paint job just looks amazing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Alright... so I've brought this up here before but I want to restart the conversation. I have been dabbling with purchasing my fiancee a bike for a while. She has always liked "beach cruiser" type bikes, which I found :disgust: so haven't pulled the trigger. I was actually showing her strava and showed her some of [user not found]'s rides which were quite inspiring to her. She really likes the idea of group rides and has always loved cycling when we've rented bikes on a bunch of trips. Regularly does spin classes as well.

So I'm kind of torn... could get her a road bike and we could start doing that stuff together, which I think would be an awesome hobby to share. I have an older Raleigh I could ride - I'd rather her have the better bike as I'll be faster. It's hard to know if we would really do this or it's more of a fantasy thing - so the question is, what type of bike do you start with? How much to spend? What other gear is needed? How do you plan rides that are safe?

I'm willing to dump a fair chunk of change if she actually got into it but afraid she'll find it "scary" to ride in our area and it'll get back burnered. Anyone had any similar experiences with a spouse/close friend? Curious how it went.

Obviously a lot of questions in my post here... but I'd love for this to work.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:17 pm Alright... so I've brought this up here before but I want to restart the conversation. I have been dabbling with purchasing my fiancee a bike for a while. She has always liked "beach cruiser" type bikes, which I found :disgust: so haven't pulled the trigger. I was actually showing her strava and showed her some of [user not found]'s rides which were quite inspiring to her. She really likes the idea of group rides and has always loved cycling when we've rented bikes on a bunch of trips. Regularly does spin classes as well.

So I'm kind of torn... could get her a road bike and we could start doing that stuff together, which I think would be an awesome hobby to share. I have an older Raleigh I could ride - I'd rather her have the better bike as I'll be faster. It's hard to know if we would really do this or it's more of a fantasy thing - so the question is, what type of bike do you start with? How much to spend? What other gear is needed? How do you plan rides that are safe?

I'm willing to dump a fair chunk of change if she actually got into it but afraid she'll find it "scary" to ride in our area and it'll get back burnered. Anyone had any similar experiences with a spouse/close friend? Curious how it went.

Obviously a lot of questions in my post here... but I'd love for this to work.
Rent her a nice road bike for a week and ride in your area. See if she likes it.

Helmet, water bottle, air pump to make sure the tires are good (check before each ride), and go. Try to rent a womens specific bike if you have a choice.

For planning rides that are safe.... you have a few easy options. 1) Ask bike shop employees. They may know of an easy / casual ride, or can point you in the direction of a safe place to go that you may not know of. 2) Google maps, turn on the bicycle filter. Green roads have a bike lane or are off road, dashed are "safe" for riding on, usually. 3) Strava heat map. If you do this, be sure to gmap check the road for a shoulder. 10 miles is probably plenty for a first road ride. Go up in distance if you want from there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik/d/ ... 66240.html

Seems decent. I know nothing of road bikes.
Johnny_P

Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:32 pm https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik/d/ ... 66240.html

Seems decent. I know nothing of road bikes.
Very good bike.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:43 pm Women's cycling groups are typically very inclusive and awesome - they'll get together for rides, coffee, and to talk :tits:

In terms of riding the road, you need to remember to not ride like you'd drive. Use it as an excuse to find the quiet roads that are less travelled.

If you're a paid Strava user, you can get on there and view cycling heat maps that'll show you popular riding roads (and if you see little/no riding activity in an area, areas to straight out avoid).
Yeah. There are a lot of womens groups around Philly, all are super receptive to new riders. Many have beginner rides weekly for women / LGBTQ types ONLY so there's no pressure from males.

Ask around at shops. The shop employees will know.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:43 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:41 pm

Very good bike.
Get her sized for a bike. Nothing worse than a bike that doesn't fit.
:dat:

Griffballz aside from that, parts wise, I'd look for Shimano 105 or better (ultegra, sram anything, etc) on a used bike, or Shimano Tiagra on a new bike. A road bike that's more endurance oriented will sit her a bit more upright (Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Roubaix and Ruby, Specialized Dolce, Liv Avail, Trek Lexa are good places to start a search).
Johnny_P

So, bikes?

Y'all think I should order one of them new All City Macho Kings in "old banana" paint? I'd likely just do a frame and fork, build it up 1x with Sram or Shimano GRX hydro disc. I don't like the off the shelf build due to poor gearing choices, trash hubs, cable disc. Should be similar to my Macho Man Disc just about 4 lbs lighter when all said and done.

It has slightly better tire clearance, thru axles, carbon fork, better (lighter, stiffer) frame, flat mount brakes.

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:17 am So, bikes?

Y'all think I should order one of them new All City Macho Kings in "old banana" paint? I'd likely just do a frame and fork, build it up 1x with Sram or Shimano GRX hydro disc. I don't like the off the shelf build due to poor gearing choices, trash hubs, cable disc. Should be similar to my Macho Man Disc just about 4 lbs lighter when all said and done.

It has slightly better tire clearance, thru axles, carbon fork, better (lighter, stiffer) frame, flat mount brakes.

There are two answers here.

Yes, and Fuck Yes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:05 am
[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:43 pm Women's cycling groups are typically very inclusive and awesome - they'll get together for rides, coffee, and to talk :tits:

In terms of riding the road, you need to remember to not ride like you'd drive. Use it as an excuse to find the quiet roads that are less travelled.

If you're a paid Strava user, you can get on there and view cycling heat maps that'll show you popular riding roads (and if you see little/no riding activity in an area, areas to straight out avoid).
Yeah. There are a lot of womens groups around Philly, all are super receptive to new riders. Many have beginner rides weekly for women / LGBTQ types ONLY so there's no pressure from males.

Ask around at shops. The shop employees will know.
:disgust: sexist pigs. The hope would be for us to ride together :doe: . I'm not really keen on the group thing but maybe she'd be into a women's group. I'll open up the discussion. I think sizing/rental would be a good place to start although some of the bikes you listed are :nice: , I wouldn't mind :troywax: $500-800 on it. Got a ton going on now with the wedding in less than three months, looking to buy a house, etc... so we'll see if we can do it, may end up being a spring thing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:53 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:30 am

:disgust: sexist pigs. The hope would be for us to ride together :doe: . I'm not really keen on the group thing but maybe she'd be into a women's group. I'll open up the discussion. I think sizing/rental would be a good place to start although some of the bikes you listed are :nice: , I wouldn't mind :troywax: $500-800 on it. Got a ton going on now with the wedding in less than three months, looking to buy a house, etc... so we'll see if we can do it, may end up being a spring thing.
Get her into doing some spin classes first so when she rides a bike for the first time she's not :sad:
She already does them at least weekly.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:59 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:53 am

Get her into doing some spin classes first so when she rides a bike for the first time she's not :sad:
She already does them at least weekly.
We rode CitiBikes 12 miles in NYC last month and she was keeping up with me a lot better than the other couple we were with, she's :notbad:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:55 pm Also, come out and do some epic Gravel stuff, :wasteful:

https://rocknroadgravelseries.com/
Pine barrens maybe. Can’t do Lehigh I’m busy that weekend.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Pine barrens maybe. Can’t do Lehigh I’m busy that weekend.
Also tell your Pioneers bwoys to do Sunday gravel things.
If you want in on them you’re welcome to come. We usually fart around on sundays. I hadn’t mentioned it because a lot of what we do is bushwhacking and mountain bike trails linked by gravel and some road. Not fast riding but out all morning is typical.

You should go to Gritty 2.0. Check Facebook.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Saturday, I woke up early to catch Cars and Coffee and then hit the local Comite trail. Hooked up my Kuat Transfer 2 rack to the :gorf: for the first time. Xcal 9 looking on fleek.

Hit trail head with my uncle by 9:30. He brought is $5k e-bike. Im not the fastest but can ride most of the technical trail stuff. The climb usually gets me. So he is just putting lots of gap on me. 3/4 of the way into a 6 mile trail, he stops. I catch up and we take a water break. He says to take his bike for a spin and dont get :jelly:

Holy hell. It takes all the grueling climb out and makes it effortless. You get so much speed quickly you really have to use the brakes to speed check. The bike is 47 lbs I think I shared pics here a year ago. It really is a cool hybrid between a dirt bike and mountain bike. Makes trail riding very enjoyable. It has about a 2 hour battery life in medium mode.

Caught a sunday morning ride with Chalupabatman too. He is still faster than me but I didnt stop and had a good time. No pics were taken/.

dis is the $5k ebike.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo ... e/p/126252
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

here is a vid of riding our local trail.

Looks very weird, there is a lot more tree growth now.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Full vid of the ride

Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:32 am
[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:27 pm Looking at making some last minute changes to the Sacklist before this UnPAved event.

Going to flip the 52/36 Praxis carbon crank over to the CAAD and order up a 50x34 aluminum crank for the Sacklist. Also working on snagging a 2nd wheelset with some 38c Maxxis Ramblers mounted up on the Facetube marketplace.
Crank on order with a bottom bracket for the CAAD, and I've got a 2nd Grail wheelset on order as well.

Tires secured from a guy in Ohio parting out a Pivot Vault. 38C Maxxis Ramblers.
Fat tires :datass:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Dang, I need a film crew to follow me around too.

:drool:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:43 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:42 am

Fat tires :datass:
You and me going on a gravel date thoon, bwoy.
My definition of gravel or yours? :mahman:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:29 am That kind of riding is always fun - riding the rollers through swampland. Very roller coaster like, and no big climbs.
yeah, compared to actual mountain climbs, we got nothing. It is pretty flowy with a few quick STEEP hills to get up and over.

Ordered my repair parts for Kuat rack. thanks :doge: