Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Today’s ride:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:18 pm Today’s ride:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:stig:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

OK How the fuck do I make Zwift easy enough so that the workouts are possible for weaklings?

I did the ramp test yesterday and got a pitiful 166W. Now the workouts are supposed to be calibrated to that, so today is the beginner's intro 30 minute workout: "Jon's Short Mix"

It says that I should be able to easily do this:

5min warmup

1min 250w
30sec 105w
1min 250w
30sec 105w
2min 125w
10sec 250w
1min 125w
10sec 330w
1min 125w
10sec 415w
4min 100w
10min rampup

3min cooldown

:bruh: I made it maybe halfway through the fucking third step before I was up near 200 bpm, legs shot, can't breathe, kill me now. 125 or 100 watts is nowhere near low enough for me to recover. 250w for 1 minute is a full effort sprint for me. 125 watts "recovery" is a high intensity barely sustainable effort at 170 bpm. I can't do it.

Zwift only lets you tune the workouts plus or minus 10% and even down 10% this is nowhere near doable for me. I can barely even stand up right now and I didn't make it 1/3 of the way through the workout at the lowest possible intensity level.

What the fuck am I supposed to do?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

got the vintage Schwinn rehabbed for now

Schwinn suburban https://imgur.com/a/L8auZY8

1st pic is how I bought.

90 for bike, 55 for tires, tubes, rim strips, and a new brake cable. 145 plus about 3 hours of time.

I did tires and tubes, cleaned chain, adjusted deruilers, lubed chain, adjusted seat and bars. rides real fucking nice. looks cool as shit. Maybe soon I'll properly clean both bikes.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:44 pm OK How the fuck do I make Zwift easy enough so that the workouts are possible for weaklings?

I did the ramp test yesterday and got a pitiful 166W. Now the workouts are supposed to be calibrated to that, so today is the beginner's intro 30 minute workout: "Jon's Short Mix"

5min warmup

1min 250w
30sec 105w
1min 250w
30sec 105w
2min 125w
10sec 250w
1min 125w
10sec 330w
1min 125w
10sec 415w
4min 100w
10min rampup

3min cooldown

:bruh: I made it maybe halfway through the fucking third step before I was up near 200 bpm, legs shot, can't breathe, kill me now. 125 or 100 watts is nowhere near low enough for me to recover. 250w for 1 minute is a full effort sprint for me. 125 watts "recovery" is a high intensity barely sustainable effort at 170 bpm. I can't do it.

Zwift only lets you tune the workouts plus or minus 10% and even down 10% this is nowhere near doable for me. I can barely even stand up right now and I didn't make it 1/3 of the way through the workout at the lowest possible intensity level.

I don't know anything about trainers, but can you just start riding at your own pace, does it have to be a "class"? I bet if you do an hour a day for a week or two, you'll be golden to start these.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:18 pm got the vintage Schwinn rehabbed for now

1st pic is how I bought.

90 for bike, 55 for tires, tubes, rim strips, and a new brake cable. 145 plus about 3 hours of time.

I did tires and tubes, cleaned chain, adjusted deruilers, lubed chain, adjusted seat and bars. rides real fucking nice. looks cool as shit. Maybe soon I'll properly clean both bikes.
That color really pops :jimp:
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:18 pm got the vintage Schwinn rehabbed for now

1st pic is how I bought.

Nice! I’d love to find something like this for city use. Those dropped top tube frames ride great. They flex a lot more than double triangle designs.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:44 pm OK How the fuck do I make Zwift easy enough so that the workouts are possible for weaklings?

5min warmup

1min 250w
30sec 105w
1min 250w
30sec 105w
2min 125w
10sec 250w
1min 125w
10sec 330w
1min 125w
10sec 415w
4min 100w
10min rampup

3min cooldown

Go a bit more basic than that.

5 min spin to warm up
5 min medium effort
Then sprint all out 30 sec
2 min cool down back to easy/med effort
And repeat the sprint/cool like 4 more times
Then 5 min cool down.

Or just spin. You need to get your leg muscles conditioned for this type of use. You do that by just going through the motions. Ramp up the effort gradually.
Johnny_P

75 today. Fun ride, lots of dirt. I'm roasted.

Neat pic. You can see the Philly skyscrapers in the WAY background. Like, go directly up from my rear hub.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Sun May 17, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Johnny_P

Is there a way to shrink lycra bibs without destroying them?

The Rapha Core bibs I have are either relaxing or I'm getting skinnier. They're bunched up and look awful now. Jersey is fine.

I need new bibs anyway. My Pactimo ones and the Ornots are the only 2 I have that fit anymore. I threw out the last pair of Castellis I had because they were disintegrating. Could be that the Raphas are doing the same now.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:25 pm 75 today. Fun ride, lots of dirt. I'm roasted.

Neat pic. You can see the Philly skyscrapers in the WAY background. Like, go directly up from my rear hub.
:like:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

22 mile recovery ride today. Met up with a friend on the Cynwyd Heritage Trail and easy pedaled for a bit. Then sprint home for BBQ ribs.

Got into the top 10 on pipeline climb in Belmont. Not bad. I might be able to KOM it if I really try.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:37 pm 22 mile recovery ride today. Met up with a friend on the Cynwyd Heritage Trail and easy pedaled for a bit. Then sprint home for BBQ ribs.

Got into the top 10 on pipeline climb in Belmont. Not bad. I might be able to KOM it if I really try.

:nice:
Johnny_P

It’s weird PR’ing road segments on my CX bike with knobby tires.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:It’s weird PR’ing road segments on my CX bike with knobby tires.
How is going faster than you have ever gone a "recovery"?

I still just plain don't understand any of this shit.

So I have basically 3 devices: Tacx vortex trainer, polar hr monitor, withings scale.

I'd like to set up an acct somewhere to do workouts based on HR, with the trainer adjusting resistance automatically based on the HR monitor. Then log those workouts automatically with the accompanying data from the scale for that morning so that I can look at everything in one place.

Zwift and TrainerRoad do not allow you to base workouts on HR. "Power is everything" :rolleyes:

Tacx training software does seem like it might be able to use HR but definitely not the scale data.

With how serious and nerdy road bikers are, it seems like this should not be so hard to find.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote:It’s weird PR’ing road segments on my CX bike with knobby tires.
How is going faster than you have ever gone a "recovery"?

I still just plain don't understand any of this shit.

So I have basically 3 devices: Tacx vortex trainer, polar hr monitor, withings scale.

I'd like to set up an acct somewhere to do workouts based on HR, with the trainer adjusting resistance automatically based on the HR monitor. Then log those workouts automatically with the accompanying data from the scale for that morning so that I can look at everything in one place.

Zwift and TrainerRoad do not allow you to base workouts on HR. "Power is everything" :rolleyes:

Tacx training software does seem like it might be able to use HR but definitely not the scale data.

With how serious and nerdy road bikers are, it seems like this should not be so hard to find.
It was mostly easy pace with a few harder efforts in there, but ultimately a short distance and duration for me.

I think Chris Charmichael had a training plan. I don't know what the base line is for it though. You're starting essentially from zero. You just gotta ride, man. Get more saddle time, get your :peach: used to it, get your legs used to the constant pedaling, etc. The heart rate stuff and power stuff is nice but I don't ride with either, I just go out and ride my bike :iono: Sometimes I just easy pedal to get some miles in. Sometimes I go harder. I'll usually have a few hills or a few sprints in the middle of the ride so I can get my heart rate up and then recover and keep going.

I think [user not found] is best equipped to answer this question though. He rides with HR, he can maybe give some direction on how to figure out your HR zones and how long to spend in each one.
troyguitar

Yeah, starting from zero is the hard part. There is no such thing as an easy mile. It is not fun in any way. There is no recovery pace other than getting off the bike and sitting down. Especially if I go outside I can never end a ride with a cooldown. The last mile is a hard uphill climb, with the steepest part being right at the top... exactly the opposite of what every single plan tells you to do.

...so I want to stay inside and at least be efficient about this shit if it's not going to be fun. Start up a mindless workout and throw on an episode of Star Trek.

"Just ride and enjoy it" which I've read often is garbage advice, I won't ride at all if I only ride for fun.

Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:53 pm Yeah, starting from zero is the hard part. There is no such thing as an easy mile. It is not fun in any way. There is no recovery pace other than getting off the bike and sitting down. Especially if I go outside I can never end a ride with a cooldown. The last mile is a hard uphill climb, with the steepest part being right at the top... exactly the opposite of what every single plan tells you to do.

...so I want to stay inside and at least be efficient about this shit if it's not going to be fun. Start up a mindless workout and throw on an episode of Star Trek.

"Just ride and enjoy it" which I've read often is garbage advice, I won't ride at all if I only ride for fun.
Yeah starting out is rough for sure. You should build up muscles pretty quickly though. The key thing right now I think is saddle time. So set a goal of 3x a week minimum on the trainer, 30 mins each. Not flat out the whole time but a comfortable pace, and 3-5 sprints in the middle of it with a 2 min cool down between them.

That should help at least. You could also try finding a spin class on like YouTube or something and using that as a guide. It won’t use power necessarily but they’ll coach you on how hard to go at what time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:53 pm Yeah, starting from zero is the hard part. There is no such thing as an easy mile. It is not fun in any way. There is no recovery pace other than getting off the bike and sitting down. Especially if I go outside I can never end a ride with a cooldown. The last mile is a hard uphill climb, with the steepest part being right at the top... exactly the opposite of what every single plan tells you to do.

You're majorly overthinking this.

Here's a plan:

Ride three times a week. Start at 5 miles per ride. Add one mile to each ride each week. Get results.
troyguitar

I was specifically told that only riding 30-45 mins a day will build nothing but fatigue.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 pm I was specifically told that only riding 30-45 mins a day will build nothing but fatigue.
That's stupid (in my opinion). I have gone from fatass to good shape a few times in my life and it was always just simple, incremental work.

If you were at your first track day ever, most instructors will tell you... worry about one thing at a time. Like one session, just think about braking, or just focus on one corner until you nail the line, etc.

A lot of people were good at biking before all of the computers and data were a thing, they just pushed themselves harder and harder over time. Eventually, you'll be at a point where a 10 mile ride is fun. Then a 20 mile ride.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:31 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 pm I was specifically told that only riding 30-45 mins a day will build nothing but fatigue.
That's stupid (in my opinion). I have gone from fatass to good shape a few times in my life and it was always just simple, incremental work.

If you were at your first track day ever, most instructors will tell you... worry about one thing at a time. Like one session, just think about braking, or just focus on one corner until you nail the line, etc.

A lot of people were good at biking before all of the computers and data were a thing, they just pushed themselves harder and harder over time. Eventually, you'll be at a point where a 10 mile ride is fun. Then a 20 mile ride.
:dat: :dat: :dat: :dat:

Exercise is exercise.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

I "figured it out" mostly. If I ignore watts and speed but vigilantly keep my heart rate under 170 then I can ride for a long time (for me). By about 50 minutes in my ass is so fucking sore that I might as well be cell mates with :[user not found]: but the rest of my body feels mostly fine. Good thing I have a standing desk. I can't sit down.

Of course, staying under 170 bpm means that I am riding at all of 9 fucking miles per hour... Dangerously slow.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:17 pm I "figured it out" mostly. If I ignore watts and speed but vigilantly keep my heart rate under 170 then I can ride for a long time (for me). By about 50 minutes in my ass is so fucking sore that I might as well be cell mates with :[user not found]: but the rest of my body feels mostly fine. Good thing I have a standing desk. I can't sit down.

Of course, staying under 170 bpm means that I am riding at all of 9 fucking miles per hour... Dangerously slow.

:nice: It's a start, you will get better and :datass: will hurt a lot less after a week or two of riding.

Plus, you get to go to London while quarantined :notbad:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:17 pm I "figured it out" mostly. If I ignore watts and speed but vigilantly keep my heart rate under 170 then I can ride for a long time (for me). By about 50 minutes in my ass is so fucking sore that I might as well be cell mates with :[user not found]: but the rest of my body feels mostly fine. Good thing I have a standing desk. I can't sit down.

Something seems odd to me here.

Load up zwift and do a spin down in Zwift - at the device selection screen there should be a little wrench icon that you can go in and perform an in-game spindown too.

That seems way off to me.