Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:10 am I won't be riding this on trails dawg - I'm not a full rigid kinda guy. What I do want, is a bike that I can start doing these gravel rides on, and knock out some long road rides on. The CAAD is too racy, the Schwinn can't handle bigger tires, and mud and rim brakes blows.

I'm essentially looking to build up a chubby CAAD. With discs, a threaded bottom bracket, and steel.
Sounds like exactly what I want. I have the full squish MTB for trails, but a steel cross bike for road or gravel rides & commuting fills in the rest of what I'd need. Macho King gives me a :dong:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:29 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:10 am I won't be riding this on trails dawg - I'm not a full rigid kinda guy. What I do want, is a bike that I can start doing these gravel rides on, and knock out some long road rides on. The CAAD is too racy, the Schwinn can't handle bigger tires, and mud and rim brakes blows.

I'm essentially looking to build up a chubby CAAD. With discs, a threaded bottom bracket, and steel.
Sounds like exactly what I want. I have the full squish MTB for trails, but a steel cross bike for road or gravel rides & commuting fills in the rest of what I'd need. Macho King gives me a :dong:
MK is the one I wanted. It's like the Macho Man Disc but more betterer because it's a LOT lighter, hydro disc, and the (tubeless ready!) wheelset is easily converted to a Sram XD driver for MTB gear range on the 1x system. It's super ideal and not much of a price increase really over the MMD. BUT..... All City is totally sold out of them in 58cm size. None left. Nada. NGH. IF they do another run of them, I'll get one to replace my MMD.

Tire size you're limited to 42mm on the MK, and that'll be pushing it really. 40 is close on my bike which has the same frame clearances.
Johnny_P

:nice:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:13 pm Also, it's gon' b purple.

Thinking Plum Crazy.
:evilplan:
Johnny_P

Omfg dead lol
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I don't even know why you're asking. Perfect.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:50 am Image

Thinking this purp for the Blacklist build.

Thoughts?
Do it
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:51 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:22 pm

Do it
:yesth:

Building my :unicorn: bike.
Using :dedong: for a single aero handlebar?
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:07 pm So here's where we're at so far:

Columbus Life tubing with a Columbus carbon fork and Paragon dropouts and braze on hardware
Thomson carbon bars with Thomson elite stem + seatpost
WTB Silverado Team saddle 133mm wide, titanium rails
Stans Grail wheels with centerlock hubs
Continental GP5000 TL 32c tires
Shimano R7000 105 gruppo with R8000 Ultegra RD and 11-30 cassette and hydro brakes (140R/160F rotors)
Praxis Works Zayante carbon crank with 52-36 chainrings

A bit of a :fullretard: build but it's a joint marketing exercise.
Not bad at all!! I might suggest a hair lower gearing, spinning on washed out gravelly uphills is a nice option. But you're a lot stronger than I am.

Also look into how Conti tires play on stans wheels. Likely fine, but Stans rims are a hair oversized for a tight seal with normal tires, as such they can be a complete bitch to use with tires that are "tubeless ready." Like I said, probably fine, just worth looking into how they play with Conti, Challenge, Donnelly, etc, because at some point you might want to try like a file type tread which seems really popular with the packed gravel crowd (lots of TLR 30-35c file tread tires out there). Other options for wheels, that aren't stupid expensive, Velocity Aileron rims are really nice for a fast gravel setup, and I do like my cheap ass Bitex hubs. WTB rims like I have might be too wide for what you're looking to do. H Plus Son makes good rims that are stupid strong and dirt cheap. 28/32 spoke setup f/r would be my rec. Mine are 32/32 but I do MTB shit. Most of these pre built wheels are of dubious quality but people do seem to like Stans stuff so IDK.

Grouppo option is spot on perfect. That ultegra rear is a nice piece of kit, I love mine. Big range capability and it tucks away like the shadow MTB ones. Crank is perfect option too. Praxis makes awesome shit and their chainrings are sooo stiff.

Throw in some King Cages. They're the best and look incredible on steel frames!

I'm standing by my rec to go full jacketed or internal routed rear derailleur cable. Minimal weight, a godsend if you're going through mud and muck.

Maybe go one size wider on your handlebars than you'd normally go? More control on washed out rutted downhills which is very very common on gravel rides.

Youre gonna love this thing. I'm excited for you!
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:47 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:42 pm

Not bad at all!! I might suggest a hair lower gearing, spinning on washed out gravelly uphills is a nice option. But you're a lot stronger than I am.

Also look into how Conti tires play on stans wheels. Likely fine, but Stans rims are a hair oversized for a tight seal with normal tires, as such they can be a complete bitch to use with tires that are "tubeless ready." Like I said, probably fine, just worth looking into how they play with Conti, Challenge, Donnelly, etc, because at some point you might want to try like a file type tread which seems really popular with the packed gravel crowd (lots of TLR 30-35c file tread tires out there). Other options for wheels, that aren't stupid expensive, Velocity Aileron rims are really nice for a fast gravel setup, and I do like my cheap ass Bitex hubs. WTB rims like I have might be too wide for what you're looking to do. H Plus Son makes good rims that are stupid strong and dirt cheap. 28/32 spoke setup f/r would be my rec. Mine are 32/32 but I do MTB shit. Most of these pre built wheels are of dubious quality but people do seem to like Stans stuff so IDK.

Grouppo option is spot on perfect. That ultegra rear is a nice piece of kit, I love mine. Big range capability and it tucks away like the shadow MTB ones. Crank is perfect option too. Praxis makes awesome shit and their chainrings are sooo stiff.

Throw in some King Cages. They're the best and look incredible on steel frames!

I'm standing by my rec to go full jacketed or internal routed rear derailleur cable. Minimal weight, a godsend if you're going through mud and muck.

Maybe go one size wider on your handlebars than you'd normally go? More control on washed out rutted downhills which is very very common on gravel rides.

Youre gonna love this thing. I'm excited for you!
I'll probably stick with a 44mm bar, and gonna switch up tires to a 32c Maxxis Refuse (recommended for the Stans wheels).
Nice!
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:26 pm Any of you guys using Zwift should see if there's an FTP test within the menu or something - really good way to track overall cycling fitness.

Just did my 2nd FTP test, last one was September. Last time, I held 304W over 20 min, which works out to a 288W FTP. This time I was at 307W for 20, 292W FTP.

Can't wait for March.
There is, and also FTP training programs built in, too.

The app also averages out your Power on “road” rides for best 1/5/20/60 minute averages. When I started on the bike again I was in the 130’s on a 20 minute average. On tuesday’s 14 mile/1200ft climb ride I was in the 160 range.

Legs are starting to come back a bit.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

No real improvement, it’s just symptom management, really. The meds do help a good amount but it’s never really gone.

I was knocking on the door of 180lbs a few weeks ago, the heaviest I’ve ever been. I’ve typically always been 158-160, but old age is catching up. Stamina is coming back and I’m back down to 175 after two weeks.

On tuesday’s ride on the NYC zwift course, the big climb is .85 miles, 6.5% average grade and 300ft of vertical. The 6.5% average is after a few rolling 4-10% sections, a short plateau before a 8-12% grade, one last 30 second plateau before the final punch that goes from 10-18% grade.

In 2 weeks I’ve knocked 90 seconds off the ascent on 3 attempts, and the last attempt was 7:12 at 194W.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:51 pm No real improvement, it’s just symptom management, really. The meds do help a good amount but it’s never really gone.

I was knocking on the door of 180lbs a few weeks ago, the heaviest I’ve ever been. I’ve typically always been 158-160, but old age is catching up. Stamina is coming back and I’m back down to 175 after two weeks.

On tuesday’s ride on the NYC zwift course, the big climb is .85 miles, 6.5% average grade and 300ft of vertical. The 6.5% average is after a few rolling 4-10% sections, a short plateau before a 8-12% grade, one last 30 second plateau before the final punch that goes from 10-18% grade.

In 2 weeks I’ve knocked 90 seconds off the ascent on 3 attempts, and the last attempt was 7:12 at 194W.
We need to ride.
Apex

Ya’ll are tiny. :lol:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:22 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:51 pm No real improvement, it’s just symptom management, really. The meds do help a good amount but it’s never really gone.

Yeah, I had to do something drastic once I cleared 180 lbs too.

I'm now back down into the 165ish range. Keep at it. :like:
I'm 160 always. I can eat nothing and stay the same weight, or eat a truckload of hamberders and no difference.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:33 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:03 pm Ya’ll are tiny. :lol:
You:

Accurate. :lolol:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:33 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:03 pm Ya’ll are tiny. :lol:
You:

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:34 pm

I'm 160 always. I can eat nothing and stay the same weight, or eat a truckload of hamberders and no difference.
I was like that until I turned 34.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:04 pm

I was like that until I turned 34.
:wasteful: is now 34. :doomed:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:15 pm Blacklist build begins:
- Stans Wheelset order submitted
- Shimano component order submitted

Deciding on geometry tonight, and then we'll get the drawings finalized and tubing ordered.

ETA is mid-march.
Much excite
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:15 pm Blacklist build begins:
- Stans Wheelset order submitted
- Shimano component order submitted

Deciding on geometry tonight, and then we'll get the drawings finalized and tubing ordered.

ETA is mid-march.
:evilplan:
Apex

I ordered up some Maxxis Ardents today. 2.4/2.25
:troywax:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I want to ride some trails. Very badly. The weather has been :poop: for a while but it's back to :nice: now, I think I may try to go early tomorrow morning before work.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fuck you.

:hai:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

160. pfffft. :massles: