Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:59 pm Wait you can move the shifters down? That would be great. There is a comfortable spot for me on the drops but I can't reach the shifters from there so I don't like using it much.
Yeah look up how to install them, they can be positioned a little up or a little down on the bars. Warning. You may have to re-tape the handlebars to do this, I'm not 100% sure. A good shop won't install the bar tape until you've test ridden it and they make any changes.

Getting the bars re-wrapped would likely be like $10 + material ($20-30?) at the local bike shop though.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:59 pm Wait you can move the shifters down? That would be great. There is a comfortable spot for me on the drops but I can't reach the shifters from there so I don't like using it much.
Yeah look up how to install them, they can be positioned a little up or a little down on the bars. Warning. You may have to re-tape the handlebars to do this, I'm not 100% sure. A good shop won't install the bar tape until you've test ridden it and they make any changes.

Getting the bars re-wrapped would likely be like $10 + material ($20-30?) at the local bike shop though.
Cool. Will check that out. I've noticed that bar shapes vary a lot, it almost seems like a hard angle at the shifters would be better than a constant curve but I must be missing something since nobody runs that.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I just re-wrapped the bars on my bike last week. First time doing it, not that bad IMO and turned out decent for my first shot. I wouldn't let bar tape deter you from improving the position of things on the bike. It's simple.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:55 am I just re-wrapped the bars on my bike last week. First time doing it, not that bad IMO and turned out decent for my first shot. I wouldn't let bar tape deter you from improving the position of things on the bike. It's simple.
Just takes some patience and electrical tape. Not hard really.
troyguitar

Bumped it up to 35 miles today. Apparently my legs and lungs are in OK enough shape that I can pedal along at 15 mph for what feels like all day - but my whole upper body starts getting sore after an hour. My thumbs, wrists, elbows, shoulders, and neck are all feeling it waaaaaay worse than my legs. My legs feel like I could go right back out for another 35 miles.

Any idea how to evaluate how much of this is fitness (my upper body is super weak, I do know that) vs riding form/technique/posture vs bike fit/ergonomics?

45 minutes and I'm fine, but by an hour I'm getting sore despite moving hand positions often and even taking long water breaks.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:13 pm Bumped it up to 35 miles today. Apparently my legs and lungs are in OK enough shape that I can pedal along at 15 mph for what feels like all day - but my whole upper body starts getting sore after an hour. My thumbs, wrists, elbows, shoulders, and neck are all feeling it waaaaaay worse than my legs. My legs feel like I could go right back out for another 35 miles.

Any idea how to evaluate how much of this is fitness (my upper body is super weak, I do know that) vs riding form/technique/posture vs bike fit/ergonomics?

45 minutes and I'm fine, but by an hour I'm getting sore despite moving hand positions often and even taking long water breaks.
Try putting less weight on your hands and hold yourself up with your core more.

Also keep riding. Your body will get used to the position. It’s still pretty new for you.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:43 pm Try putting less weight on your hands and hold yourself up with your core more.

Also keep riding. Your body will get used to the position. It’s still pretty new for you.
This.

You need to develop the muscle specificity for riding. Also, make sure you're keeping your back flat, and not arching it.

Add some yoga and core workouts to your routine for upper body and core strength and flexibility.

I do 20 pushups and some stretching every day before going to bed and after getting up. Helps significantly.

Also, consider investing in some shoes and pedals so you can pull up AND push down on the pedal stroke. You've got incomplete combustion going on right now.
:word:

I suspect that there are a lot of fitness and form issues to deal with, probably more than actual fit stuff since I'm right in the ballpark of a general endurance geometry.

Where does one start on shoes and pedals? There are hundreds and ain't no way I'm going to test drive them.
troyguitar

Narrow if anything. I have both 11.5 narrow and 11 regular width running shoes - all of which are really too wide for cycling. I hit both feet frequently on the cranks and frame wearing them, just been too lazy to do anything about it yet since it's my upper body that's uncomfortable.
Johnny_P

I find shoes are worth going to the local bike shop for and paying the local premium. Of course I say that after buying a pair of Specialized shoes from the LBS that fit and were comfy in the store but on the first ride my feet got so hot because they don't fucking breathe at all that I refuse to wear them and can't return them....

Anyway. Competitive cyclist is really good about returns. You can send them an email or chat with one of their gear heads on the site and they could probably point you in the right direction.
troyguitar

Haha, if I had local stores worth a damn then I wouldn't be on forums. I don't think either semi-local store has any shoes whatsoever.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:12 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:04 pm What's the Rav4 hybrid of MTB?
An ebike? :iono:

This is what I want.

https://www.pivotcycles.com/en/bike-mach-55-carbon-1

Way too fucking expensive tho. I should check out a Trance. Still haven't done that.
My dad actually owns both. He describes the difference as:

The Trance feels like a truck compared to the Pivot as a sports car.

However

The Trance is much better hammering gnarly stuff, he said it feels more durable and takes anything you throw at it. I absolutely love the Trance personally. As a linebacker, it's the only bike I've ridden that feels bother agile and indestructible.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Troy's taking to cycling is damn :impressive:. I had the CAAD10 for 6 years and took it for total of two rides in the 35 mile range. Hated it both times and it sat for at least the last two years I had it without ever being touched aside from one miserable commute to work. :lolol:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:58 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:12 pm

An ebike? :iono:

This is what I want.

https://www.pivotcycles.com/en/bike-mach-55-carbon-1

Way too fucking expensive tho. I should check out a Trance. Still haven't done that.

However

The Trance is much better hammering gnarly stuff, he said it feels more durable and takes anything you throw at it. I absolutely love the Trance personally. As a linebacker, it's the only bike I've ridden that feels bother agile and indestructible.
Maybe he can provide some input then. I'm looking for something that is playful first and foremost. Easy to get airborne, easy to chuck into corners, easy to loft the front end over things, etc. Some bikes I've ridden that have been no doubt excellent machines but missing that playful aspect include the Specialized Stumpjumper 29er (way too planted, too hard to loft it), Pivot Mach 6 (enduro sled that doesn't have much maneuverability), and the Santa Cruz Hightower (not at all playful, hard to control at low speeds).
Aside from that I want something that's a couch. So 2.6" wide tires would be ideal. And 27.5" wheel size.

The Pivot felt very plush, tracked straight as an arrow, and felt quick. Not sluggish handling, despite weighing a lot. It was playful enough for me, easy enough to take a jump line or rail a corner. The Giant Anthem was actually more chuckable but since I was using all the travel at Nockamixon.... I'd be getting hammered around in the Wiss. So its not enough travel. Same thing holding me back from the Santa Cruz 5010 (that and poor pedaling performance).
The Trance should fit that bill I think.

The Mach 6 has me wondering though. That bike climbed like a goat, it was phenomenal. Much better than the Mach 5.5... I think it has a longer rear end. Maybe I'd learn to be maneuverable on something like that?

Anyway. $5500-6500 ish for the Pivot is retard money for a bike that I'll send off ledges intentionally. Around 3k would be most ideal. Especially since I'm not bringing in any money right now. And the 5.5 can't even fit a normal sized bottle in the frame so meh.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:06 am Troy's taking to cycling is damn :impressive:. I had the CAAD10 for 6 years and took it for total of two rides in the 35 mile range. Hated it both times and it sat for at least the last two years I had it without ever being touched aside from one miserable commute to work. :lolol:
He's doing it for a specific goal though, not to enjoy it. Its like going on a kale smoothie cleanse, nobody wants to do it but they want the benefits of it.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I ride because I love to ride and it helps me escape real life. :iono: everyone has their own jam.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:12 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:58 am

However

Maybe he can provide some input then. I'm looking for something that is playful first and foremost. Easy to get airborne, easy to chuck into corners, easy to loft the front end over things, etc. Some bikes I've ridden that have been no doubt excellent machines but missing that playful aspect include the Specialized Stumpjumper 29er (way too planted, too hard to loft it), Pivot Mach 6 (enduro sled that doesn't have much maneuverability), and the Santa Cruz Hightower (not at all playful, hard to control at low speeds).
Aside from that I want something that's a couch. So 2.6" wide tires would be ideal. And 27.5" wheel size.

The Pivot felt very plush, tracked straight as an arrow, and felt quick. Not sluggish handling, despite weighing a lot. It was playful enough for me, easy enough to take a jump line or rail a corner. The Giant Anthem was actually more chuckable but since I was using all the travel at Nockamixon.... I'd be getting hammered around in the Wiss. So its not enough travel. Same thing holding me back from the Santa Cruz 5010 (that and poor pedaling performance).
The Trance should fit that bill I think.

The Mach 6 has me wondering though. That bike climbed like a goat, it was phenomenal. Much better than the Mach 5.5... I think it has a longer rear end. Maybe I'd learn to be maneuverable on something like that?

Anyway. $5500-6500 ish for the Pivot is retard money for a bike that I'll send off ledges intentionally. Around 3k would be most ideal. Especially since I'm not bringing in any money right now.
This is exactly how my dad describes his 5.5, especially compared to the Trance. Riding them back to back he says is like night and day.

I personally really like the Trance for all around performance and value. Playful enough, durable enough, "affordable".
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

@Johnny, have you seen this dude's youtube channel? Probably the best consumer advice-related channel I've found and has ridden probably everything you're considering. Dude can shred, too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqjVKl ... lcQ/videos
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:27 am @Johnny, have you seen this dude's youtube channel? Probably the best consumer advice-related channel I've found and has ridden probably everything you're considering. Dude can shred, too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqjVKl ... lcQ/videos
Yeah! His vids are entertaining for sure.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:12 am The Giant Anthem was actually more chuckable but since I was using all the travel at Nockamixon.... I'd be getting hammered around in the Wiss. So its not enough travel.
Not necessarily... it was likely poorly set up suspension if anything. The difference in my Occam when it's dialed in is amazing... even when I take it to the bike park- if anything I just add a few PSI and a click of rebound.

My guy at South Mountain told me to expect 2020 demo days starting in September. They have a Large 2019 Trance Advanced 1 in stock if you feel like taking a ride up the NE Extension.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:40 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:12 am The Giant Anthem was actually more chuckable but since I was using all the travel at Nockamixon.... I'd be getting hammered around in the Wiss. So its not enough travel.
Not necessarily... it was likely poorly set up suspension if anything. The difference in my Occam when it's dialed in is amazing... even when I take it to the bike park- if anything I just add a few PSI and a click of rebound.

My guy at South Mountain told me to expect 2020 demo days starting in September. They have a Large 2019 Trance Advanced 1 in stock if you feel like taking a ride up the NE Extension.
Hm. I mean, the Anthem I had no problems with. It was plush enough and ramped nicely off jumps and such. The rebound was right and it rode well. Just looking at the shock and fork, I def used all the travel. And Nox isn't exactly challenging terrain. I was surprised at the Wiss the other day. It got really chunky in the last 1-2 years. Lots of fist sized rocks all over the place.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
coogles wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:06 am Troy's taking to cycling is damn :impressive:. I had the CAAD10 for 6 years and took it for total of two rides in the 35 mile range. Hated it both times and it sat for at least the last two years I had it without ever being touched aside from one miserable commute to work. Imageol:
He's doing it for a specific goal though, not to enjoy it. Its like going on a kale smoothie cleanse, nobody wants to do it but they want the benefits of it.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I ride because I love to ride and it helps me escape real life. :iono: everyone has their own jam.
:dat:

You're already fit so you don't need to slog through meaningless miles. I also don't have anyone to ride with. :foreveralone: small town lyfe
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:01 am :dat:

You're already fit so you don't need to slog through meaningless miles. I also don't have anyone to ride with. :foreveralone: small town lyfe
There's gotta be cycling groups in your area.

https://fingerlakescycling.org/

https://www.strava.com/clubs/4124

https://www.nysbra.com/about/find-a-new-york-club/
The group rides are over 2 hours driving round trip and the shortest loops are 50 miles with lots of hills. Way beyond my fitness and commitment levels.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Finally decided to keep the bike. OEM roof bars and a Kuat Trio on the way. :popcorn:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:23 am :like:

This is the MTB?
Yessir, my Trance. CAAD10 sold awhile back, so I just have the 2018 TA1 and my old AF Cannondale F6 26er that I use for :derp: ing around the neighborhood.
troyguitar

I decided to go :fullretard: and ordered some SPD pedals last night. My stock pedals feel like the bearings are made of gravel and none of my shoes work well for riding anyway. Still need to decide on a shoe to try, but I was surprised at how cheap pedals can be - looks like the shoes will cost more than the pedals.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:45 am I decided to go :fullretard: and ordered some SPD pedals last night. My stock pedals feel like the bearings are made of gravel and none of my shoes work well for riding anyway. Still need to decide on a shoe to try, but I was surprised at how cheap pedals can be - looks like the shoes will cost more than the pedals.
Personally I never found anything that was as remotely as comfortable as a set of even the lower end Sidis, but YMMV. A good clipless setup is definitely worthwhile.