Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:17 pm

That is really cool looking.

Is there something equivalent to these types of bikes with straight handlebars?
+1

I think that I basically want a rigid 29" MTB with a "women's style" low top tube, disc brakes and gravel tires.
Convert yours to a flat bar! Easy peasy.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:33 pm

+1

I think that I basically want a rigid 29" MTB with a "women's style" low top tube, disc brakes and gravel tires.
Meh, blowing $200 on a bike worth $200 seems a little silly. I'll just jack the bars up as high as I can get them and ride it for now, if the winter ever ends.

I basically want the top tube to meet the seat tube like 6-8" lower, plus have a dropper seat post so that I can put my feet flat on the ground when I'm :drunk: or otherwise derping around at walking pace.

Think "adult BMX bike" with gears and disc brakes. As it turns out, I have no interest in riding for more than about an hour at a time so a road bike was the :wrong: choice.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:46 pm

Meh, blowing $200 on a bike worth $200 seems a little silly. I'll just jack the bars up as high as I can get them and ride it for now, if the winter ever ends.

I basically want the top tube to meet the seat tube like 6-8" lower, plus have a dropper seat post so that I can put my feet flat on the ground when I'm :drunk: or otherwise derping around at walking pace.

Think "adult BMX bike" with gears and disc brakes. As it turns out, I have no interest in riding for more than about an hour at a time so a road bike was the :wrong: choice.
Word. Have you tried any of the dirt or power line type roads out? There’s got to be a bunch out your way.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

+1

I wonder if I can convert the Raleigh to flat bar easily... may look into it, but like :mahtroy: also don't want to blow two hunnit.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:50 pm

+1

Why the 'women's style' again?
Just to keep the bar out of my :balls: and have space for the seat to drop down.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:50 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:46 pm

Word. Have you tried any of the dirt or power line type roads out? There’s got to be a bunch out your way.
Not yet, haven't been on the bike since October. I'm not immune to the cold like [user not found] the Unfeeling.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:55 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Why the 'women's style' again?
Just to keep the bar out of my :balls: and have space for the seat to drop down.
I would kind of prefer it as well. Fortunately all bikes seem to have migrated that way a bit with newer styles/geometries.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:52 pm

I wonder if I can convert the Raleigh to flat bar easily... may look into it, but like :mahtroy: also don't want to blow two hunnit.
Get a used handlebar for cheap. Verify the clamp size you need. Might be printed on the bar itself.

Tektro makes good brake levers that are cheap. You'd need to find some that are "Road pull" or short pull.

And then some grips. Like Oury.

And for shifters, easiest thing to do is just leave them where they are if it's like a downtube thing. Or get thumb shifters and associated cables, housing, and downtube housing stops.

Velo orange makes a lot of this stuff too.

Some inspiration:
So in that they relocated a downtube shifter to the bars with their thumb mounts. New Tektro levers. New grips. And a swept back handlebar. All new that's probably over $200. But you can go used / scrooge route for a lot less. Used bar like $5, new brake levers like $20, grips $10-15, and don't relocate the shifter.
troyguitar

Does anyone even make a rigid MTB anymore? Seems like you'd have to buy something old or buy a new "women's gravel" frame and build it up yourself to get in that ballpark.
troyguitar

I don't know what it is but somebody posted this a few weeks back on the racing forum and it looks pretty sweet, though more beefy than I really need. My 40mm tarz are plenty.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:52 pm

Get a used handlebar for cheap. Verify the clamp size you need. Might be printed on the bar itself.

Tektro makes good brake levers that are cheap. You'd need to find some that are "Road pull" or short pull.

And then some grips. Like Oury.

And for shifters, easiest thing to do is just leave them where they are if it's like a downtube thing. Or get thumb shifters and associated cables, housing, and downtube housing stops.

Velo orange makes a lot of this stuff too.

Some inspiration:
So in that they relocated a downtube shifter to the bars with their thumb mounts. New Tektro levers. New grips. And a swept back handlebar. All new that's probably over $200. But you can go used / scrooge route for a lot less. Used bar like $5, new brake levers like $20, grips $10-15, and don't relocate the shifter.
:nice: Thanks. It does have the down tube shifters ("suicide" shifters). I can live with them, honestly not terrible.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Who wants to help me pick a bike storage option? I'm finally starting to organize the garage since I'm trying to make a home gym of sorts now too and need to save some space. For right now we only have three bikes, but eventually I'll probably need one for each :baby: :baby: :baby:. Vertical would be best I'd think, the ceilings are too high to reach. Something like this my best bet or are there others you prefer?

https://www.etrailer.com/Bike-Storage/Saris/SA6006.html
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:33 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:59 pm I don't know what it is but somebody posted this a few weeks back on the racing forum and it looks pretty sweet, though more beefy than I really need. My 40mm tarz are plenty.

Something like a Salsa Fargo with flat bars would be ideal for you then.

http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/p/ ... sions.html

Even comes in purple!

https://www.huckleberrybikes.com/produc ... ike-purple

Anyways, I personally prefer drop bars on a road bike for aerodynamics/handling, but I'm :wrong:
Yeah $2300 plus another $200+ to swap all the shit over is a big ole :nope:

My dad has my old 20" BMX style Mongoose, all original including tires circa 1997 and now a good amount of rust from the :salt: water down at his boat in FL. I cleaned it up a bit when I was down there 2 months ago and moved the seat/bars a little and was instantly more comfortable riding that thing than my 29" drop bar bike even with the bars up as high as they go. This road bike is so damn big and awkward it's in no way comfortable to me, but obviously I'm :wrong: and should just learn to ride. :iono: :whocares:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:16 pm Hanging them vertically on the walls is what I do.

I use the rubbermaid Fasttrack so that I can move them around as need be.

Nice, that looks perfect. :like:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:43 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:27 pm

Yeah $2300 plus another $200+ to swap all the shit over is a big ole :nope:

My dad has my old 20" BMX style Mongoose, all original including tires circa 1997 and now a good amount of rust from the :salt: water down at his boat in FL. I cleaned it up a bit when I was down there 2 months ago and moved the seat/bars a little and was instantly more comfortable riding that thing than my 29" drop bar bike even with the bars up as high as they go. This road bike is so damn big and awkward it's in no way comfortable to me, but obviously I'm :wrong: and should just learn to ride. :iono: :whocares:
I don't think it's a 'learn to ride' issue.

But it's very obvious your body is not flexible nor your core strong enough for riding a drop-bar bicycle, hence why you find an upright seating position more comfortable.

What size bike did you get, and how tall are you again?
:word:

I'm 5'10" and have the "55cm" size with this geometry:

Short-ish legs :doe: so I can just barely touch the ground with my tip-toes. Yeah yeah, you're not supposed to be able to touch the ground because pro riders don't touch the ground blah blah blah. I'm not a pro.
troyguitar

Yeah I rode nothing bigger than that 20" BMX bike for my whole life, with the seat set so that I can put my feet on the ground and my ass on the seat. Anything else feels :wrong:

If I want to use my whole leg, I stand up. :iono:

You automatically unclip and jump off and then jump on and reclip every single time you slow down and are just expected to know how to do that magically without ever practicing it somehow? How does that happen? It's awkward as fuck and feels flat out dangerous to do with other traffic nearby. Traffic which I already can't see well because instead of having my head upright it's bent the fuck over looking down at the ground. Dunno, the whole thing feels about as practical as driving an F1 car on your commute to me.
troyguitar

I'm probably the one who's just fucking terrible here and I need to do the equivalent of beginner autox lessons first on a closed course with an instructor before I go out in public.

I've never even watched anyone in real life riding a "real bike" let alone had anyone show me how to do it. All I know is it feels like I'm going to hurt myself on the damn thing. It is in no way fun. The BMX was instantly fun even without riding it for probably 10+ years. I can still do bunny hops and wheelstands and ride wheelies and stuff like I'm 12, super "rad" or whatever you guys call it these days.

I'm just pissed that I blew a bunch of time and money trying to do this right and not only is it not fun I don't even feel safe doing it... yet you guys all seem to think it's amazing. Obviously I'm missing a bunch of YUGE things here.
troyguitar

Oh I don't even try to use the drops, except that also feels unsafe because my leverage on the brakes and control of the bars is terrible on the hoods... but the vision complaint I have is largely about forward vision. If my neck is aligned with my spine, then my head is pointed down and I'm looking directly at my front tire. I can't see more than maybe 20 feet down the road without craning my neck back.

I come from a car background. I'm ALWAYS looking as far forward as I possibly can. That means I'm killing my neck trying to do that on the bike.

Most of the guys in your example photos aren't even watching the road - or they have their heads tilted way back in order to see the road. How do you maintain that for hours on end without killing your neck?
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:13 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:16 pm Hanging them vertically on the walls is what I do.

I use the rubbermaid Fasttrack so that I can move them around as need be.

Nice, that looks perfect. :like:
Z's setup is perfect for what you want to do. Keep the bikes with suspension forks rear wheel on top. Keeps the fork high point in the same position.

I use these, 3 of them daisy chained together.
https://www.feedbacksports.com/product/rakk-black/
But because I can't put a rack on the wall. It's compact but not as good as wall mount.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:44 pm Yeah I rode nothing bigger than that 20" BMX bike for my whole life, with the seat set so that I can put my feet on the ground and my ass on the seat. Anything else feels :wrong:

You automatically unclip and jump off and then jump on and reclip every single time you slow down and are just expected to know how to do that magically without ever practicing it somehow? How does that happen? It's awkward as fuck and feels flat out dangerous to do with other traffic nearby. Traffic which I already can't see well because instead of having my head upright it's bent the fuck over looking down at the ground. Dunno, the whole thing feels about as practical as driving an F1 car on your commute to me.
If you want to be :stig: you use your whole leg every pedal stroke. If your saddle is too low you lose a ton of power. That means, though, you cannot touch the ground when you stop if you stay on the saddle.

Unclip one foot, pull your body forward, and tripod yourself with one foot on the ground. When light turns green push forward and sit on saddle and clip back in. After a (long) while you can clip in basically in one movement from foot on ground to pedal.

Or just roll it and don't stop :derp: which is what I do through stop sign hell of South Philly. YMMV. You may die.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:13 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:44 pm Yeah I rode nothing bigger than that 20" BMX bike for my whole life, with the seat set so that I can put my feet on the ground and my ass on the seat. Anything else feels :wrong:

Not jump off completely. I stand up, slide forward of the saddle, and as I come to a stop, drop one foot on the ground, nearly always my left (designate one foot to be your trained 'oh-shit' foot), like this:

I leave my right clipped in so that when I am ready to move, my dominant leg (right leg) is ready to push down and propel me forward as I clip in with the left. It's all a fairly smooth motion for me now.

Most of the time, when I'm riding, I'm in this position on the bars:

The drops are saved for a few times:
- Sprints:

- Descents:

- Being as aerodynamic as possible in a paceline:

They don't typically get used for climbing, unless it's a short power climb, where it's basically an uphill sprint.

And sometimes I'll put my hands on the flat narrow area of the bars, which I'll do for climbing:

Or sometimes I'll do it to change up my hand position and reduce fatique.

Generally you want your neck aligned with your spine, and on a road bike, you're in a pretty good position to either look over your shoulder or under your arm to check for traffic from behind.
Road chodes
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:23 pm Oh I don't even try to use the drops, except that also feels unsafe because my leverage on the brakes and control of the bars is terrible on the hoods... but the vision complaint I have is largely about forward vision. If my neck is aligned with my spine, then my head is pointed down and I'm looking directly at my front tire. I can't see more than maybe 20 feet down the road without craning my neck back.

I come from a car background. I'm ALWAYS looking as far forward as I possibly can. That means I'm killing my neck trying to do that on the bike.

Most of the guys in your example photos aren't even watching the road - or they have their heads tilted way back in order to see the road. How do you maintain that for hours on end without killing your neck?
Your neck will be pointed like 30-45 deg up. Shouldn't really hurt though. Maybe I've just been doing it forever.

You can get a riser stem if you want to bring the bars up more. Or a stem extender. There's no wrong answer here. Do what you want to the bike.

Bike fit is annoying as hell though. Big part of why I am so weary about mail order stuff. I always want to try it out so I know it's the right size. Bought too many wrong size bikes in my life.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Not yet, haven't been on the bike since October. I'm not immune to the cold like [user not found] the Unfeeling.
Just looking around gmaps, your area is ripe with that stuff. But mountains. It would be a leg burner of a ride for sure but the top would feel oh so sweet and probably some great views!

It'll be 50-60F pretty soon and that's prime climbing weather.
troyguitar

My neck might just be fucked from hockey. Dunno, would need to live in a real city to see some real doctors and some real bike fit pros. Not gonna happen this year.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:44 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:51 pm My neck might just be fucked from hockey. Dunno, would need to live in a real city to see some real doctors and some real bike fit pros. Not gonna happen this year.
Riser stem would help, and getting a fit analysis done would also help.

Any proper bike shop should have someone trained in bike fit and body geometry.
I think we had this conversation once before, the closest place that's remotely "proper" is 3-4 hours round trip and some stupid amount of money for fitting. Plus the cost of parts or whatever whole new bike they try to sell me.

I'm done spending money, either I'll get good on the bike or I'll put it on crangslist this summer.