Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:47 am

So the road setup I have is the stock boat anchor All City wheelset (Alex Black Dragon 32 spoke f/r with cheap Novatec-ish hubs probably like 2200g), to 32c Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons with tubes.

The tires have some added rolling resistance over GP5000's. But added puncture resistance. The wheels are probably the issue, mounted up they're notably heavier than my WTB/Bitex/40C Nano off road set.

The Macho Man's frame isn't the stiffest. Kind of pedals like an older steel bike, I'd bet its somewhat similar to your Schwinn. Some BB flex.

I really don't know why this bike feels so much slower than my Cervelo did. I guess that bike's stiffness really made it snappy and feel super fast. I'm a hell of a lot slower climbing on this bike than I was on the Cervelo. It weighs 10 lbs more than that bike did though.
Yeah, a noodly frame will definitely suck some watts out of the legs.

That’s how I feel on the Schwinn. The Sacklist is pretty stiff laterally, so power transfer is surprisingly good for a steel frame.
Yeah. I didn't notice the power suck nearly as much on the Macho King I test rode a few years ago, it felt way snappier and was a lot lighter. Alas that frame was unavailable, and the new one has a totally different frame. With Bike Revs closing, there goes my AC dealer too. It was Reynolds 853 though, so I'd assume any 853 frameset will be similar? Voodoo Rada could fill that gap.

Thoughts like these always spiral out of control though. I guess I could get a better wheelset for the road, something that can convert axle diameters easily, so I could swap it to a different bike at some point, which is likely in the minimum $500 range to try out. I think if I were to switch it up, it would be a Giant Revolt or a Santa Cruz Stigmata. But then there's the whole carbon fiber rigid bike off road vs steel... cheap vs expensive, etc.

I guess should go on a road ride on this thing and just try and focus on what it is that I don't like about it. I haven't been road riding much anyway. Mostly just dirt. All my friends only ride dirt/mixed surface anymore. Turn on Strava and find out how slow I really am.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:41 pm

Yeah. I didn't notice the power suck nearly as much on the Macho King I test rode a few years ago, it felt way snappier and was a lot lighter. Alas that frame was unavailable, and the new one has a totally different frame. With Bike Revs closing, there goes my AC dealer too. It was Reynolds 853 though, so I'd assume any 853 frameset will be similar? Voodoo Rada could fill that gap.

Thoughts like these always spiral out of control though. I guess I could get a better wheelset for the road, something that can convert axle diameters easily, so I could swap it to a different bike at some point, which is likely in the minimum $500 range to try out. I think if I were to switch it up, it would be a Giant Revolt or a Santa Cruz Stigmata. But then there's the whole carbon fiber rigid bike off road vs steel... cheap vs expensive, etc.

I guess should go on a road ride on this thing and just try and focus on what it is that I don't like about it. I haven't been road riding much anyway. Mostly just dirt. All my friends only ride dirt/mixed surface anymore. Turn on Strava and find out how slow I really am.
I use Strava to track fitness and miles. I don't pay much mind to how I compare to others too much, it's fun to nail a top 10 on a segment, but I'm more interested in how I compare to myself over time and how many miles I've ridden for the year.

You should ride the Sacklist sometime. Columbus tubing and aggressive geo makes it pretty smooth but snappy.

I wanna ride White Clay sometime soon, btw.
Yeah I’d like to check out your bike. I think it would just make me sad though lol. I'd also be interested in hearing what you think of the Macho Man, honest opinions on if I should go :fullretard: upgrading the fork and some other bits or just leave it and upgrade to something new.

I could be down to clown at white clay. You’re a hell of a lot faster than I am bruh I’d hold you back. But if you want a bit of an easier ride let me know. I was down that way last weekend and the trails are in good shape.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 am Just get a set of 30C slicks on a set of road wheels. My Sacklist is surprisingly quick on the road with the right rolling stock.
Also, are you using Stans Grail for both road and gravel?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:03 pm

Yeah I’d like to check out your bike. I think it would just make me sad though lol. I'd also be interested in hearing what you think of the Macho Man, honest opinions on if I should go :fullretard: upgrading the fork and some other bits or just leave it and upgrade to something new.

I could be down to clown at white clay. You’re a hell of a lot faster than I am bruh I’d hold you back. But if you want a bit of an easier ride let me know. I was down that way last weekend and the trails are in good shape.
I just wanna have some fun in the off-season.
I’m gonna take an upcoming Tuesday off. Come ride Six Mile with me; realllllyyyyy slloowwwllllyyyyy. :lol:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:37 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:35 pm

I just wanna have some fun in the off-season.
I’m gonna take an upcoming Tuesday off. Come ride Six Mile with me; realllllyyyyy slloowwwllllyyyyy. :lol:
Yoooo I’ll do that. I can’t last week of October tho. I’ll be in Houston again :foreveralone:
Johnny_P

Alright fam.

The bike with the road wheels. It’s fine. But it’s fucking slow. A few things at play. Frame flex, geared too easy, +10 lbs on my last bike, and I’m a lard.

But it’s all about the bike. I can fix the weight a tad bit the lightest this would get is about 24 with a CF fork, new crank, and carbon extra bits. Lots of cashola. And that will not fix the frame flex. This bike is awesome off road but on road it’s very compromised. Great ride. Slow.

So.... Stigmata? Giant Revolt? Or find a steel frame to build up?
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:28 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Yoooo I’ll do that. I can’t last week of October tho. I’ll be in Houston again :foreveralone:
Sheit, I was gonna say I’m also off on Halloween. :lol: we’ll ride soon doe!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:Alright fam.

The bike with the road wheels. It’s fine. But it’s fucking slow. A few things at play. Frame flex, geared too easy, +10 lbs on my last bike, and I’m a lard.

But it’s all about the bike. I can fix the weight a tad bit the lightest this would get is about 24 with a CF fork, new crank, and carbon extra bits. Lots of cashola. And that will not fix the frame flex. This bike is awesome off road but on road it’s very compromised. Great ride. Slow.

Ride faster, bikes don't matter.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:41 pm
Johnny_P wrote:Alright fam.

Ride faster, bikes don't matter.
That’s probably the majority of the problem honestly. I haven’t ridden much in the last 6 months.
Johnny_P

Went back out yesterday and was a little more focused on certain sections. I did much better, mostly by mentally telling myself not to grab a lower gear and instead suffer and pretend it's like a road bike. Still off my pace from the Cervelo but more in the ballpark. Effort was maybe 90% and I was mid pack with the Cervelo's efforts. Chalk much of that up to not riding nearly as much as I used to.

Frame flex, I feel a vibration in the pedals when I drop the hammer hard. But the BB doesn't seem to be swaying much if at all, so just resonance in the chain stays I think. It's a heavy bitch though. I think heavy wheels are what's making it feel like a pig because it feels like it carries more speed but takes more effort to get it there. It responds snappier with the cross wheels oddly.... that set is around 1.5 lbs lighter.

27 lbs according to my bathroom scale, so about 9 lbs heavier than the cervelo was similarly loaded up. Maybe not horrible. Hm.

Also experimented wtih tire pressures a little bit, rode at 45 front, 60 rear and it felt a little better but still draggy on the rear. Recs for tire pressures on a 32c tubed bike?
Johnny_P

Oh also raised my seat up a hair, it was a little low.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:36 pm Also, I run 60PSI in the Sacklist with the 32s. 38 with the 38s.
Alright so that’s ballpark where I run.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:Went back out yesterday and was a little more focused on certain sections. I did much better, mostly by mentally telling myself not to grab a lower gear and instead suffer and pretend it's like a road bike. Still off my pace from the Cervelo but more in the ballpark. Effort was maybe 90% and I was mid pack with the Cervelo's efforts. Chalk much of that up to not riding nearly as much as I used to.

Frame flex, I feel a vibration in the pedals when I drop the hammer hard. But the BB doesn't seem to be swaying much if at all, so just resonance in the chain stays I think. It's a heavy bitch though. I think heavy wheels are what's making it feel like a pig because it feels like it carries more speed but takes more effort to get it there. It responds snappier with the cross wheels oddly.... that set is around 1.5 lbs lighter.

27 lbs according to my bathroom scale, so about 9 lbs heavier than the cervelo was similarly loaded up. Maybe not horrible. Hm.

Also experimented wtih tire pressures a little bit, rode at 45 front, 60 rear and it felt a little better but still draggy on the rear. Recs for tire pressures on a 32c tubed bike?
27 lbs is about what my bike weighs without the tool/spare bag or water bottles, it's gotta be 30+ as it's ridden. :fatty:

You told me it's not worth getting a lighter bike :doe:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:41 pm If you wanna throw an obscene amount of money at having the equivalent of a GT350R with a 1.3 Ecoboost engine, go right ahead.
You mean a BRZ?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:20 pm
Johnny_P wrote:Went back out yesterday and was a little more focused on certain sections. I did much better, mostly by mentally telling myself not to grab a lower gear and instead suffer and pretend it's like a road bike. Still off my pace from the Cervelo but more in the ballpark. Effort was maybe 90% and I was mid pack with the Cervelo's efforts. Chalk much of that up to not riding nearly as much as I used to.

27 lbs is about what my bike weighs without the tool/spare bag or water bottles, it's gotta be 30+ as it's ridden. :fatty:

You told me it's not worth getting a lighter bike :doe:
Do whatever you want to do. Go be a Fred.
Apex

Looks over at my carboner MTB.

Reads thread.

Looks over at carboner bike.

:doomed:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Apex wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:33 am Looks over at my carboner MTB.

Reads thread.

:dat:

Bike is WAY more capable than I am.
Johnny_P

Reads thread.

I get my ass kicked routinely by guys on rigid 26’ers with cantilever rim brakes lol
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:57 am

Reads thread.

I get my ass kicked routinely by guys on rigid 26’ers with cantilever rim brakes lol
:lolol:

:aintcare: I get to go out and have fun anyway. I’ll never set a KOM anyway.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Reads thread.

:ohdang:

you should just hang it up :mahman:
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:14 am

Brb gonna go jump off a bridge.

I really only ride for fun and lolz anymore. I think at one point I held a KOM or two. Not anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:16 am
dubshow wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:14 am

Brb gonna go jump off a bridge.

I really only ride for fun and lolz anymore. I think at one point I held a KOM or two. Not anymore.
people that chase the KOM are illusive to me. I get being competitive but yeah... I just have fun with it. Hit some sweet jumps and bomb the bowl to catch some air and Im done.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
dubshow wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:18 am people that chase the KOM are illusive to me. I get being competitive but yeah... I just have fun with it. Hit some sweet jumps and bomb the bowl to catch some air and Im done.
I enjoy a good KOM carrot as a goal.
If it's actually remotely possible for you then that's cool. Most of us are humans :doe: so there's no point in even looking at those things.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:05 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:55 pm If it's actually remotely possible for you then that's cool. Most of us are humans :doe: so there's no point in even looking at those things.
I've got a few, many date back to 2013: https://www.strava.com/athletes/442051/segments/leader

Reminds me, I've gotta go back and try to steal this one back: https://www.strava.com/segments/1597345
Olde man
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I think I'm in the best shape of my life at #thisis30.

Looking forward to the move and busting my 1984 Raleigh road bike back out and then complaining about how it sucks in this thread.