Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:32 pm That's how it is when you start out. And how it is for me in March of every year because I hate indoor trainers so I just don't ride over winter. Eventually you build up the muscles to sustain it all. Holding yourself up by your core helps. Seat time helps more.
:dat:

Other than a dull ache in my quads, hamstrings, and calves that tells me I did something yesterday... I don't really feel any different today.
My legs had been sore 24/7 since I got the bike and my upper body gets sore if I try to ride for over an hour. Taking 5 days off to go to the kart track last week helped with the legs, by the 3rd or 4th day off they were finally back to normal... until I rode for 40 minutes today, now they're sore again.

I've never experienced exercise of any kind making me feel good. That's :fakenews: as far as I am concerned. The cost of being in shape is being tired and hungry 24/7.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:55 pm
[user not found] wrote:
:dat:

Other than a dull ache in my quads, hamstrings, and calves that tells me I did something yesterday... I don't really feel any different today.
My legs had been sore 24/7 since I got the bike and my upper body gets sore if I try to ride for over an hour. Taking 5 days off to go to the kart track last week helped with the legs, by the 3rd or 4th day off they were finally back to normal... until I rode for 40 minutes today, now they're sore again.

I've never experienced exercise of any kind making me feel good. That's :fakenews: as far as I am concerned. The cost of being in shape is being tired and hungry 24/7.
Make sure you're spinning at a fast enough RPM. Youtube might have some good pointers so you can see what 80-90 RPM looks like. You also don't have to go HAM the entire time you ride. Your body will benefit from an intense effort followed by a light spinning, repeat that a few times sort of thing. Mix it up.
Johnny_P

Philly peoples: Bicycle Revolutions going out of bidnizz sale. 10-60% off everything. Gitchoo some new tires or something. They are gone mid September.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:13 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:55 pm

You probably went too aggressive with the fit and don't have the core and upper body strength to support an aggressive bar placement.

Start doing pushups and planks.
Also probably need more calories post-workout. A small shot of simple carbs, some caffeine, and a dose of protein will help your :massles: recover. A magnesium supplement probably wouldn't hurt, either.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:13 pm You probably went too aggressive with the fit and don't have the core and upper body strength to support an aggressive bar placement.

Start doing pushups and planks.
Also probably need more calories post-workout. A small shot of simple carbs, some caffeine, and a dose of protein will help your :massles: recover. A magnesium supplement probably wouldn't hurt, either.
Could be. I'm fucking wrecked by the time I get home at the top of the damn hill. A 40 minute ride is enough that I'm largely useless for the rest of the day and takes probably 2 hours to fully catch my breath and stop sweating, so I don't eat anything for about that long afterward... and I can't even crack 16 mph average counting the hill. :jalepenis:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:38 pm
coogles wrote:
Could be. I'm fucking wrecked by the time I get home at the top of the damn hill. A 40 minute ride is enough that I'm largely useless for the rest of the day and takes probably 2 hours to fully catch my breath and stop sweating, so I don't eat anything for about that long afterward... and I can't even crack 16 mph average counting the hill. :jalepenis:
Nooooooooooo you need a brotien shake or pizza or something with protein right after you ride you gotta give your leg muscles some fuel to build with.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:38 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:29 pm

This too.

I burned over 4000 calories on my ride yesterday. I refueled like a boss.
My number is fucking up an entire pizza after a ride. Works great.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:47 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:38 pm Could be. I'm fucking wrecked by the time I get home at the top of the damn hill. A 40 minute ride is enough that I'm largely useless for the rest of the day and takes probably 2 hours to fully catch my breath and stop sweating, so I don't eat anything for about that long afterward... and I can't even crack 16 mph average counting the hill. :jalepenis:
...you considered getting a stress test done?

All those years of Fat Ron's and Big Caesar's might be coming back to haunt you.
You leave LC outta this you heathen
Johnny_P

Chuck E Cheese has a ball pit so you can exercise and refuel at the same time #gainz
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:38 pm Could be. I'm fucking wrecked by the time I get home at the top of the damn hill. A 40 minute ride is enough that I'm largely useless for the rest of the day and takes probably 2 hours to fully catch my breath and stop sweating, so I don't eat anything for about that long afterward... and I can't even crack 16 mph average counting the hill. :jalepenis:

All those years of Fat Ron's and Big Caesar's might be coming back to haunt you.
:iono:

My bloodwork and pressures are always fine and my 5k run time is 20 minutes. You can really push at 100% for HOURS? That's not normal.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:48 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:47 pm

You leave LC outta this you heathen
:lolol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:29 pm

This too.

I wonder how many calories I burn during a hockey game. Nowhere near 4,000, but they only last 1:15. I've done a :science: experiment where I don't drink anything after a game until after I get home and get on the scale, and I'm usually 7-8 pounds lighter after a game. :sweaty:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:50 pm
[user not found] wrote:

My bloodwork and pressures are always fine and my 5k run time is 20 minutes. You can really push at 100% for HOURS? That's not normal.
He’s been doing it so long that his 100% is your 200%. His 80% is where he will sit at which is your 100%. Just how cycling goes mang someone is always faster and stronger than you are.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:52 pm

This too.

I wonder how many calories I burn during a hockey game. Nowhere near 4,000, but they only last 1:15. I've done a :science: experiment where I don't drink anything after a game until after I get home and get on the scale, and I'm usually 7-8 pounds lighter after a game. :sweaty:
You sweat more than my morning poops. Not bad.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:50 pm
[user not found] wrote:

I'm nowhere near as well-conditioned for cycling as Zil, but I can easily do an hour of high-intensity riding and be just fine the rest of the day. Hockey is probably as applicable a sport for cycling as there is, though.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:30 pm Dumb question: what do you use for kickstands?
Those aren't cool, no matter how useful they are.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:50 pm :iono:

I'm nowhere near as well-conditioned for cycling as Zil, but I can easily do an hour of high-intensity riding and be just fine the rest of the day. Hockey is probably as applicable a sport for cycling as there is, though.
Do you not ride/skate as hard as you can? I can barely stand up after a hockey game, that's 100% effort for 100% of my time on the ice.
Johnny_P

Coogles you sandbaggin’ mother fucker
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:04 pm My refueling yesterday:

Chicken, corn, black beans, brown rice, pico salsa, sour cream, cheese, crushed taco shells, lettuce, lime juice, and salsa verde. Seasoned with cilantro, chili powder, and some chipotle Tabasco.
Key ingredient is beer
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Do you not ride/skate as hard as you can? I can barely stand up after a hockey game, that's 100% effort for 100% of my time on the ice.
I'm a goaltender, so only going 100% when I need to. But I also don't get to sit my ass down and rest ever. So, yeah, my ability to walk the next day has a lot to do with how many shots I face and how shitty the defense in front of me is on any given night.

When I ride I don't sprint 100% the entire time, I spin at a cadence where I don't have a massive buildup of lactic acid, but no lower. The bike paths / roadie trails near me all have cross streets where a rider will need to stop and start back up again, so I sprint away from those before I settle in to a high pace but one I can hold basically indefinitely. It's like a base pace while running - you could do it for 20+ minutes, but any faster and you'd burn out in 4-5.
Last edited by coogles on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:06 pm Coogles you sandbaggin’ mother fucker
:lolol: maybe?
Johnny_P

Point of this all is, don’t be a Fred
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:10 pm Point of this all is, don’t be a Fred
No, definitely be a Fred. Wear weird clothing on a shitty bike and pass all the dudes on their $5,000 bikes who dress like they're on a leg of the Tour de France.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
I'm a goaltender, so only going 100% when I need to. But I also don't get to sit my ass down and rest ever. So, yeah, my ability to walk the next day has a lot to do with how many shots I face and how shitty the defense in front of me is on any given night.

When I ride I don't sprint 100% the entire time, I spin at a cadence where I don't have a massive buildup of lactic acid, but no lower. The bike paths / roadie trails near me all have cross streets where a rider will need to stop and start back up again, so I sprint away from those before I settle in to a high pace but one I can hold basically indefinitely. It's like a base pace while running - you could do it for 20+ minutes, but any faster and you'd burn out in 4-5.
Ah I've never played goal, no idea how it feels. Running never had a base pace for me though (unless you count walking, I couldn't run even at 10 min/mile for 6 hours straight) - and casual runners don't go out for 4+ hours. That's where I'm struggling to understand this shit... 4 hours is a marathon at a slow pace, that's super serious runner territory requiring lots of training - and not doing it multiple times a week.

Are cyclists just way more fit than runners? Are DFD members all former tour de France winners who thought it was too easy?
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:15 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:15 pm

No, definitely be a Fred. Wear weird clothing on a shitty bike and pass all the dudes on their $5,000 bikes who dress like they're on a leg of the Tour de France.
This is why the Schwinn hangs around - I enjoy embarrassing people on that bike.
It’s fun hanging with roadies when I’m on my cross bike. Surprises a lot of them.