Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Just checked my bike, I need a new chain. Thanks for the reminder :mahtroy:
Wonder if that's the cause of my shift quirks.

Troy the cassette orbiting a little while it freewheels is a cheap hub thing. That won't cause excess chain wear as your derailleur is all on pivots and will take up / give slack as needed.

If you're cross chaining often (big ring in front big cog in back type thing, or small-small) it'll cause excess chain wear and make a bunch of drivetrain noise and gritty pedaling feeling. A worn chain will do the same. The 11 tooth cog will typically pedal like that even if its new.

Sucks that happened. KMC makes good chains too. You could replace it with a shimano XT/Ultegra level chain. Make sure you get a 7/8/9 whatever your bike is speed chain. That one is stamped X10.... that's a 10 speed chain.... on an 8 speed bike? THAT is likely the problem.
Johnny_P

Yeah def 10 speed chain on an 8 speed bike. That's the issue. The chain is too narrow for the width of the cogs. Surprised you haven't had major chain suck issues. You could probably get away with a 9 speed chain on your 8 speed bike, but a 10 is too narrow.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:27 am :lolol:

Good catch, Pflugtag. 10 speed chain on an 8-speed drivetrain. That'll cause issues for sure.
Seems like a really shitty derp on BikesDirect's end.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I thought that was a stock photo from park tools? Not :mahtroy: s actual chain?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Wow.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
Apex wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:32 am I thought that was a stock photo from park tools? Not :mahtroy: s actual chain?
:derp:

I think you're right.
:dat:

I just had the same amount of gap, probably a little bit more. I replaced it with the higher end KMC chain with a master link so I can remove and reinstall it by hand for cleaning in the future.

There aren't many (any?) high quality 8 speed compatible parts on the market anymore. I guess I could still get pretty good hubs and an older 10-speed 105/ultegra/dura-ace derailleur if I really wanted to commit to this bike.

It seems dumb to do that :doe: - the future is not in a low end 3x8 setup. If anything I'd like to eventually run 1x11 with hydraulic brakes and no exposed metal shift cables running under my frame.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:56 pm :dat:

I just had the same amount of gap, probably a little bit more. I replaced it with the higher end KMC chain with a master link so I can remove and reinstall it by hand for cleaning in the future.

There aren't many (any?) high quality 8 speed compatible parts on the market anymore. I guess I could still get pretty good hubs and an older 10-speed 105/ultegra/dura-ace derailleur if I really wanted to commit to this bike.

It seems dumb to do that :doe: - the future is not in a low end 3x8 setup. If anything I'd like to eventually run 1x11 with hydraulic brakes and no exposed metal shift cables running under my frame.
My one friend who runs Blacklist runs a custom 50T front ring and 11-42 rear setup - 1x11 on his ever-evolving mutt of a road bike. He runs out of gear on the bigger descents, and it gets a little mashy on the steeper climbs, but overall it's not a bad setup if you're in flatter terrain.

I'd probably stick with 2x11 if I were you. 36/50 or 52 in the front, 11-28 in the rear. At least until you've got the guads to handle the climbs.
:iono:

They make 11-46, 10-42, and even 9-46 cassettes for 1x11 setups. Seems like any of those would be fine with the right front ring.

Right now I have from 50/11 down to 30/32 but I really only ever use the 50/13 occasionally and never touch the 50/11. I'm in the 30/32 every ride for the last couple of blocks up the hill to get home.

A 40T with the 10-42 or a 44T with the 11-46 cassette would cover what I actually use.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:40 pm FYI: 2020 Trek Fuel EX looks pretty :neat:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/08/15/2020-t ... clearance/
Shame they kept the knock block.
Full floater is gone, that's no surprise.
Chainstay clearance on the chain is really tight... be prepared for chain slap damage.
The gear box is cool.
Geo numbers look good.
Trek is KILLING IT with colors and simple frame branding.
2.6" tires on a 29er is almost dump truck status.

These ride like couches. Soak everything up. I wonder if they updated the Remedy at all. Probably just colors, as this Fuel EX is following some of the Remedy formula in the geo and shock mounting details.
troyguitar

Finally got back out today and felt decent on the bike. Something is still a little noisy but fuck it. Spending more time working on the thing than riding it is dumb.

I think my bike fit is pretty good but my core strength and presence of mind are lacking. Is it normal to need to really focus on keeping your weight supported by your gut instead of your arms?

I frequently find myself leaning on the handlebars as my focus changes to pedaling or anything other than posture.
troyguitar

:jesus:

:plaid:
Apex

DatCyborgDoe.

I'm assuming you CAADed dat ride?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:26 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:19 pm DatCyborgDoe.

I'm assuming you CAADed dat ride?
Yeah - Sacklist would've been a bit too slow for that ride.

We were doing 27-30 MPH on the flats in areas.
:impressive:

I should road sometime.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:29 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:27 pm

:impressive:

I should road sometime.

Choad riding is crucial for getting faster on the MTB.
:science:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:30 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Choad riding is crucial for getting faster on the MTB.
Park is more fun doe.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:21 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:30 pm

Park is more fun doe.
:notwrong:
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

Spreading with little man.

www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Dbest wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:43 pm Spreading with little man.

That's pretty awesome. As much as I love hanging with a 13 month old, I sort of can't wait until my son is old enough to do these sorts of things with him.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Talk about :fullretard:.

I'm on a sudden kick of wanting a road bike again. I've had a case of plantar fasciitis severe enough that I haven't been able to run for a couple months, so I've been trying out other cardio options. I dropped into a couple spin classes at my gym and actually found myself enjoying them, which of course led me to stop by the bike shop in my neighborhood (Trek dealer) to hop on a couple bikes.

They pointed me in the direction of the Émonda and, first of all, disc brakes on a roadie are such a :megusta: experience. I hopped on a rim brake version first and even though the brakes on my CAAD never bothered me, after spending time on the Trance, I was honestly startled how poorly the rim brake bike came down from speed. Hopped on the ALR 5 Disc version next and the experience was just night and day. Screw the weight penalty, I'd take discs all day.

Just riding up and down the street I remembered what drew me to a roadie in the first place. Almost effortless to get up to 20+ mph, versus slogging away on a trail with no sense of speed until the trail turns nose down for some short period of time. Plus, there are (usually multiple) group rides (CIBA Ride Calendar) every single day near me, whereas my former MTB friend has refused to come out to the trails with me all summer long and I've been riding alone.

I couldn't really tell a difference between the aluminum and carbon bikes, either in terms of weight or ride quality, even though the alloy bike comes with 25s and the carbon bike is on 28s. Otherwise the kit is exactly the same. Both seemed MUCH more comfortable than my CAAD was. Only real reason to choose the carbon bike seems to be the color options, namely the Emerald Iris.

:fap:

Reminds me of the mystic SN95 Cobras -

Not sure I'll do anything, but either option is 10% off and they offered enough on trade for the Trance to cover the $1,800 for the ALR version, 105 pedals, and shoes. Would all but cover the $2,250 for the carbon SL bike.

Bike :plac: :iono:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:59 am Talk about :fullretard:.

I'm on a sudden kick of wanting a road bike again. I've had a case of plantar fasciitis severe enough that I haven't been able to run for a couple months, so I've been trying out other cardio options. I dropped into a couple spin classes at my gym and actually found myself enjoying them, which of course led me to stop by the bike shop in my neighborhood (Trek dealer) to hop on a couple bikes.

They pointed me in the direction of the Émonda and, first of all, disc brakes on a roadie are such a :megusta: experience. I hopped on a rim brake version first and even though the brakes on my CAAD never bothered me, after spending time on the Trance, I was honestly startled how poorly the rim brake bike came down from speed. Hopped on the ALR 5 Disc version next and the experience was just night and day. Screw the weight penalty, I'd take discs all day.

Just riding up and down the street I remembered what drew me to a roadie in the first place. Almost effortless to get up to 20+ mph, versus slogging away on a trail with no sense of speed until the trail turns nose down for some short period of time. Plus, there are (usually multiple) group rides (CIBA Ride Calendar) every single day near me, whereas my former MTB friend has refused to come out to the trails with me all summer long and I've been riding alone.

I couldn't really tell a difference between the aluminum and carbon bikes, either in terms of weight or ride quality, even though the alloy bike comes with 25s and the carbon bike is on 28s. Otherwise the kit is exactly the same. Both seemed MUCH more comfortable than my CAAD was. Only real reason to choose the carbon bike seems to be the color options, namely the Emerald Iris.

:fap:

Reminds me of the mystic SN95 Cobras -

Not sure I'll do anything, but either option is 10% off and they offered enough on trade for the Trance to cover the $1,800 for the ALR version, 105 pedals, and shoes. Would all but cover the $2,250 for the carbon SL bike.

Bike :plac: :iono:
Riding with groups helps keep you alive if the drivers are tards. If you’re going to use it then go ahead! Trek makes great bikes.
troyguitar

Whoa. That Emonda is sweet and apparently the AL version weighs exactly the same as the carbon one at 19.x lbs. I kind of want that. Somehow I missed that those existed, I thought the Domane was it for Trek in the non-SRSBZNS road bike category. A 105-equipped Domane in the same purple is $2900 instead of $2000 for the Emonda. :waxer:

I guess that would eliminate the option of ever doing offroad shit for me :doe: - dunno if I really care. :iono: :wrong:
troyguitar

Meh, N = 1 with no garage and an already overly full living space. I still don't understand how you can be on a bike for 4+ hours straight anyway so I'm in no danger of ever doing group rides where I'd need anything faster to keep up. Winter is coming, the real :troywax: will need to be on zwift shit so I can maybe be in decent shape by June.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:40 am Speaking of choad rides... here's Sunday's ride:

Mapped out 80 miles/6k feet of climbing, went out with 3 other fairly strong dudes in spandex on faster bikes. I figured I'd crack apart somewhere around mile 60, and it just never happened. I was the first one to the top of every climb, set a number of PRs, and even nailed a couple top 10 times on Strava for a few of them.

I'm back to 2013 fitness form, baby.
Damn. #goals
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:03 pm Meh, N = 1 with no garage and an already overly full living space. I still don't understand how you can be on a bike for 4+ hours straight anyway so I'm in no danger of ever doing group rides where I'd need anything faster to keep up. Winter is coming, the real :troywax: will need to be on zwift shit so I can maybe be in decent shape by June.
Because it's not just a workout for me, it's fun, it's a social activity, and it was a gorgeous day.

I enjoy pushing myself to the limit on the bike. Next goal is to complete 100 miles this year. Might be this coming sunday.
Even sitting on the bike and pedaling at zero intensity for 2 hours left my upper body sore for almost a week. This has jack shit to do with motivation - unless you live in pain 24/7?
Johnny_P

I have no time to ride my bike. Haven't touched either of them in like 3 weeks now.
And this week is shaping up to be a shit show so NGH despite the weather being awesome.

:sad:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:05 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Because it's not just a workout for me, it's fun, it's a social activity, and it was a gorgeous day.

I enjoy pushing myself to the limit on the bike. Next goal is to complete 100 miles this year. Might be this coming sunday.
Even sitting on the bike and pedaling at zero intensity for 2 hours left my upper body sore for almost a week. This has jack shit to do with motivation - unless you live in pain 24/7?
That's how it is when you start out. And how it is for me in March of every year because I hate indoor trainers so I just don't ride over winter. Eventually you build up the muscles to sustain it all. Holding yourself up by your core helps. Seat time helps more.