Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:17 am
Johnny_P wrote:I started using strava again and I feel slow as molasses compared to 2015. Balls. I now don’t have an appropriate bike for the more intense road riding either. What do? Ain’t care or shop roadies that are more comfy than the Cervelo was?
What's wrong with the CX bike?
The CX bike is fine for road derping and goofing off. It doesnt have the top end gearing, frame stiffness, or light weight to be competitive on the road. As such I’m slower on it. Nothing is actually wrong with the bike at all unless you care to be road race type competitive on it.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:01 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:09 am I started using strava again and I feel slow as molasses compared to 2015. Balls. I now don’t have an appropriate bike for the more intense road riding either. What do? Ain’t care or shop roadies that are more comfy than the Cervelo was?
Ain't care, bro.

I use Strava to track mileage first, track roads or places I've ridden 2nd (heatmap is hellacool), and check fitness third.

Get a set of road wheels for Randy Savage, if you have to.
I have the stock boat anchors wrapped in 32c road tires right now. They’re so heavy lol. I should find some China cf disc wheels for it.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:23 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:04 am 85% of my love for steel bikes is in the thin tubing and paint jobs that AC does. 15% is the “ride quality of steel.”
Lol

The galaxial unicorn certainly is a nice bike. I don’t like the spec this year the gold and black one was WAY better spec’d.
The black and gold was ugly, doe. :lol:
It had a yuengling Black and Tan “graduating high school was my best life achievement and now I live in central PA making minimum wage at the local Boscov’s pounding yuenglings” look.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:55 am

It had a yuengling Black and Tan “graduating high school was my best life achievement and now I live in central PA making minimum wage at the local Boscov’s pounding yuenglings” look.
Just needed a screaming chicken decal and Burt Reynolds' signature.
Yes this
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Initial results on the stem+saddle swap are positive. I'm still sore, but less than yesterday and I was faster while trying less hard. 17 mph average on the open roads. I need to move the saddle a little higher :doe: since my knees aren't fully extending - I didn't realize that the new saddle just isn't as tall as the stock one.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:23 pm Initial results on the stem+saddle swap are positive. I'm still sore, but less than yesterday and I was faster while trying less hard. 17 mph average on the open roads. I need to move the saddle a little higher :doe: since my knees aren't fully extending - I didn't realize that the new saddle just isn't as tall as the stock one.
If you want to get a little more scientific about your fit - you want your knee to be at a 30 degree angle with your crank arm parallel to the seat tube.

Position the ball of your foot directly over the pedal axle, and then you should be able to drop a plumb line from the front of your kneecap to the pedal axle.

Also, make sure your back is flat when on the bike, don't do any of that turtleshell stuff - engages your glutes and hamstrings as well as your quads.
I think that poor posture was a big part of why I got so sore on the longer rides.

Maybe I should build a bike stand to get better measurements on all this stuff.
Johnny_P

https://www.voodoocycles.com/rada

Could buy one of these and build it up Sram 1x or Shimano GRX. :notsure: how much that would cost. Probably way too much.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:https://www.voodoocycles.com/rada

Could buy one of these and build it up Sram 1x or Shimano GRX. :notsure: how much that would cost. Probably way too much.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/sram ... 19370.html

I feel like you might as well just buy the Crockett for $1679 :doe:

Bikesdirect.com has a 1x11 Gravity Zilla for $799 too. You could buy it and throw the frame in the garbage and come out ahead.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:47 pm
Johnny_P wrote:https://www.voodoocycles.com/rada

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/sram ... 19370.html

Bikesdirect.com has a 1x11 Gravity Zilla for $799 too. You could buy it and throw the frame in the garbage and come out ahead.
Not wrong. That bike isn't exactly what I want though, being cable disc. The Crockett 5 is closer. Aluminum though, and the wheelset still sucks on it.

I want hydro disc, steel frame, carbon fork, 1x gearing with a 10-42 XD or better gearing on the next bike.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:47 pm https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/sram ... 19370.html

Not wrong. That bike isn't exactly what I want though, being cable disc. The Crockett 5 is closer. Aluminum though, and the wheelset still sucks on it.

I want hydro disc, steel frame, carbon fork, 1x gearing with a 10-42 XD or better gearing on the next bike.
Why steel?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The cable disks on my bike seem fine. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:14 pm I almost went 1X on the Sacklist because I love the idea of the simplicity, but being that it's more choad focused, 2x was better.

Would've been a sweet build, though.
#sacklistreloaded
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:18 pm The cable disks on my bike seem fine. :iono:
Cable is fine, hydro is better. :fax:
Obviously, just not sure I see the benefit for the cost
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:18 pm The cable disks on my bike seem fine. :iono:
Hydros provide greater braking power with less lever pull and force. They are a lot stronger and more immediate.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Why steel?
No real good reason I just like the way they look and ride. Steel tends to ride smoother than aluminum and is more durable for the dumb shit i do on this bike. Most of my friends ride steel CX type bikes. We beat the shit out of these things.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:14 pm I almost went 1X on the Sacklist because I love the idea of the simplicity, but being that it's more choad focused, 2x was better.

Yeah the top end isn’t that great even at 40x10. Taller tires make up for some of that but still you’d get dropped on road sprints.

48x10 would do it. But then you’re killing the low end of the gearing for trail duty so bleh.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:

Yeah the top end isn’t that great even at 40x10. Taller tires make up for some of that but still you’d get dropped on road sprints.

48x10 would do it. But then you’re killing the low end of the gearing for trail duty so bleh.
Good thing I'm slow. 50/13 is plenty for me, so 40/10 is fine too.

Do you really use a gear that fast and that slow? Seems like if you're 100+% stronger than me then you should be fine with a 48/42 low gear?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:51 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Good thing I'm slow. 50/13 is plenty for me, so 40/10 is fine too.

Do you really use a gear that fast and that slow? Seems like if you're 100+% stronger than me then you should be fine with a 48/42 low gear?
I spin out on descents quicker than I’d like with a 46x11 top gear. On flats I can’t go as fast in an all out sprint either.

I need the low gear for off roading. Right now I have a 36x36 as the low. Would be better if it was underdriven. I can make it up most things but a 40x42 would be nice.
Johnny_P

Apparently 10-46 cassettes work with Sram Force1 rear derailleurs. Not bad. Could go with a 42t front then.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:Apparently 10-46 cassettes work with Sram Force1 rear derailleurs. Not bad. Could go with a 42t front then.
:notbad:

That seems pretty perfect. I really like the idea of 1x11.
troyguitar

Saw this one at the store today, I drove up near Rochester to try on shoes and donated the Schwinn.

11-42 rear but pretty cool otherwise. :jalepenis: brand logo, don't know anything about them. Image
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:52 pm Saw this one at the store today, I drove up near Rochester to try on shoes and donated the Schwinn.

11-42 rear but pretty cool otherwise. :jalepenis: brand logo, don't know anything about them. Image
Salsa makes great bikes. Warbird is a gravel race bike. A friend of mine has one and he loves it.
troyguitar

I just finished installing my pedals and cleats. This is going to be... interesting tomorrow. :fullretard:

It was nice to go to a shop that actually stocks some stuff. Maybe I'll try to test ride some different things later.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:41 pm I just finished installing my pedals and cleats. This is going to be... interesting tomorrow. :fullretard:

It was nice to go to a shop that actually stocks some stuff. Maybe I'll try to test ride some different things later.
Sit on the bike and clip in and out a million times, and you’ll still have a good chance of falling over. :lol:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:41 pm I just finished installing my pedals and cleats. This is going to be... interesting tomorrow. :fullretard:

Try clipping in and out a bunch while standing still and holding onto a wall, etc. Then ride around in the grass a bit until you can get out of them easily. You’ll probably fall over. Most of the time newbies fall over while standing still with one foot on the ground.