Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:27 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:53 pm That looks badass.

So what kind of trail/bike is that called? That looks exactly like a longer version of the same kind of stuff we used to ride on back in middle school... except we were on 20" BMX bikes. What makes it need 29" :ramz: and full suspension and multiple gears and 2+" wide knobbies? Is it just that I'm 33 instead of 13?

I went to the local little bike store today. They mainly sell Trek and the guy knows all of the local riding options - he seemed to think that a more hybrid or even road-ish thing would be better for 95% of the trails here. For new stuff his best guess was a DS or FX from the Trek lineup depending on whether you want the front shocks, around $600 locally.
29" wheels roll over stuff easier, but they're a little less "fun" - 26" doesn't exist anymore really. Everything is 27.5 or 29.

27.5 is fun and super tossable - to a taller guy like myself, it makes the bike feel small. I prefer the feel of a 29" bike.

The bikes in the video are likely just general trail/enduro style bikes with about 130-150mm of travel F/R, which is more than enough. I've got 120 on my Orbea and it's plenty. Rear suspension is great if you're into rougher stuff and big jumps, but hardtails are plenty capable. If you're stuck on the idea of a hardtail, check out the Santa Cruz Chameleon. That's basically a cross between a MTB and a BMX bike.

When you say trails though - are you talking rail trails, or are you talking mountain bike trails? Because if you're taking a hybrid on MTB trails, you're gonna have a bad time. And don't bother with front shocks on those things - just get a cross bike or gravel bike instead. They're better suited to actually going fast.
This.

Rail trails or "bike paths" get a rigid cyclocross or gravel bike. They're basically beefy road bikes with fat tires.
Actual mountain bike trails get a mountain bike with knobby tires and at least front suspension.
The "hybrid" bikes with upright seating and super tall handlebars made for comfort and those dinky front shocks that don't work aren't what you'll want when you're confronted with a log over or a drop off.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 pmMan that trail is so smooth. I'd ride that on my cross bike. Ride to the trail, ride the trail, ride home. Actually we have a downhill in Belmont that's similar to that, well groomed and smooth as hell. Cross bikes absolutely rip on it.
Would ride to a trail 72 miles from home and back again? :impressive:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:32 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 pmMan that trail is so smooth. I'd ride that on my cross bike. Ride to the trail, ride the trail, ride home. Actually we have a downhill in Belmont that's similar to that, well groomed and smooth as hell. Cross bikes absolutely rip on it.
JP has all the time in the world to ride right now.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:32 pm This is an hour from my house. I just need to nut up and go get shreddy. This trail looks like stupid fun.

I should make the trip down there and ride it. My dad has done it a few times and loves it down there.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:32 am
72? Ouch. Here an hour drive is about 10 miles.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Ah, so a "cross bike" is cyclocross and not crosscountry? Cyclocross bike being basically a more expensive gravel bike, both of which are just heavy duty road bikes and not "mountain bikes"?

I'm wondering if any suspension at all is worth bothering with since it's going to be a shitty suspension on anything that's remotely cheap enough to consider. I'm not spending 4 figures on a bike and am :notsure: how much I really want to fuck with maintenance and modding stuff, at least not during the first year.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:49 am Ah, so a "cross bike" is cyclocross and not crosscountry? Cyclocross bike being basically a more expensive gravel bike, both of which are just heavy duty road bikes and not "mountain bikes"?

I'm wondering if any suspension at all is worth bothering with since it's going to be a shitty suspension on anything that's remotely cheap enough to consider. I'm not spending 4 figures on a bike and am :notsure: how much I really want to fuck with maintenance and modding stuff, at least not during the first year.
No suspension is better than an SR Suntour coil spring shock.

When I refer to cross I mean cyclocross. They’re beefy road bikes with knobby tires that retarded people like me use as light duty mountain bikes. It’s fun in a “I shouldn’t be doing this” type of way.

Gravel bikes are a newer breed and much like cyclocross are beefy road bikes but can take even fatter tires and have a lower more stable geometry as they aren’t really intended for single track off roading, just hauling ass on gravel roads.

XC = cross country which is probably what you’d be looking for.

Look for a used bike with a rock shox or fox suspension fork.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:56 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:49 am Ah, so a "cross bike" is cyclocross and not crosscountry? Cyclocross bike being basically a more expensive gravel bike, both of which are just heavy duty road bikes and not "mountain bikes"?

When I refer to cross I mean cyclocross. They’re beefy road bikes with knobby tires that retarded people like me use as light duty mountain bikes. It’s fun in a “I shouldn’t be doing this” type of way.

Gravel bikes are a newer breed and much like cyclocross are beefy road bikes but can take even fatter tires and have a lower more stable geometry as they aren’t really intended for single track off roading, just hauling ass on gravel roads.

Is there not a halfway decent middle of the spectrum option that will work for trying out paved roads, dirt roads, rail trails, and wimpy smooth MTB trails? I live in the middle of nowhere, maybe my aversion to using roads is not well-founded, especially since with my schedule I'd probably be riding around late morning during weekdays before lunch - and not having to load up, drive to starting point, unload, and then do the reverse with every ride would make the whole idea a lot more efficient. Get on bike and go would make it pretty much the same as motorcycling except with no worrying about speed limits or 60 mph wind noise.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:26 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:56 am

Is there not a halfway decent middle of the spectrum option that will work for trying out paved roads, dirt roads, rail trails, and wimpy smooth MTB trails? I live in the middle of nowhere, maybe my aversion to using roads is not well-founded, especially since with my schedule I'd probably be riding around late morning during weekdays before lunch - and not having to load up, drive to starting point, unload, and then do the reverse with every ride would make the whole idea a lot more efficient. Get on bike and go would make it pretty much the same as motorcycling except with no worrying about speed limits or 60 mph wind noise.
What you're describing is possible on any cyclocross or mountain bike, with or without suspension. It literally won't matter what you have.

Let me poke around on crangslist in your area a bit more, maybe I can find something older and rigid that would be good.

Can you link the bike that shopbrah recommended?
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:34 am

What you're describing is possible on any cyclocross or mountain bike, with or without suspension. It literally won't matter what you have.

Let me poke around on crangslist in your area a bit more, maybe I can find something older and rigid that would be good.

:word:

The shop people were between the DS2 and FX3 for Treks depending on how strongly I felt about the suspension, but both of them seemed to think that there's no need for suspension on 99% of the stuff in the area where I might actually ride. The site shows the FX3 costing a lot more, but IIRC the price tags in the store were closer to each other. I think it was $520 for DS2 and $600 for FX3? Plus NY tax and helmet and probably water bottles and cages, etc. Likely $1000 all-in which seems :yikes: as an entry level thing primarily to be used as workout gear.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... c/p/21572/

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... 2/p/23067/

The "trails" I'm looking at are primarily pretty damn smooth. Shorter local-ish one and longer one 45 mins away:

https://www.traillink.com/trail/catharine-valley-trail/

https://www.traillink.com/trail/pine-creek-rail-trail/

There's also an element of possibly wanting to buy something from the local guy who is the only shop in town and knows all of the trails/roads and probably all of the clubs and regular riders in town too.
Johnny_P

Troy:

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/bik/d/b ... 44974.html
This would handle everything well. I think its too much but around $240-280 it could be worth getting. I'd put knobbier tires on it, that's another $40 each plus tubes so like $80-90. He says extra tires included though? Wonder if they're dry rotted. This is an OLD bike but should work. Make sure the front suspension actually moves up and down.

https://scranton.craigslist.org/bik/d/s ... 15153.html
I don't know if this would fit you, but again would handle everything.

If all you want to do is street and gravel roads literally any bike will work. Anything.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:47 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:34 am

The shop people were between the DS2 and FX3 for Treks depending on how strongly I felt about the suspension, but both of them seemed to think that there's no need for suspension on 99% of the stuff in the area where I might actually ride. The site shows the FX3 costing a lot more, but IIRC the price tags in the store were closer to each other. I think it was $520 for DS2 and $600 for FX3? Plus NY tax and helmet and probably water bottles and cages, etc. Likely $1000 all-in which seems :yikes: as an entry level thing primarily to be used as workout gear.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... c/p/21572/

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... 2/p/23067/

The "trails" I'm looking at are primarily pretty damn smooth. Shorter local-ish one and longer one 45 mins away:

https://www.traillink.com/trail/catharine-valley-trail/

https://www.traillink.com/trail/pine-creek-rail-trail/

There's also an element of possibly wanting to buy something from the local guy who is the only shop in town and knows all of the trails/roads and probably all of the clubs and regular riders in town too.
Oh yeah so he's recommending a path bike. No need for suspension on a rail trail. You could likely get a full on road bike with skinny tires and be OK, it'll just be a bit bumpy riding. Literally any bike can handle that.
troyguitar

I suppose if I really wanted to :scrooge: I could spend a few hours fixing up the Schwinn that I haven't been on in 10 years. It's probably pretty fucked up by now :doe: since it lives in the back yard. Last I knew the tubes didn't hold air, the :ramz: weren't straight, and the shifter only got you into some of the gears. :thisisfine:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:01 am I suppose if I really wanted to :scrooge: I could spend a few hours fixing up the Schwinn that I haven't been on in 10 years. It's probably pretty fucked up by now :doe: since it lives in the back yard. Last I knew the tubes didn't hold air, the :ramz: weren't straight, and the shifter only got you into some of the gears. :thisisfine:
That's an option that would probably work.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:10 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:01 am I suppose if I really wanted to :scrooge: I could spend a few hours fixing up the Schwinn that I haven't been on in 10 years. It's probably pretty fucked up by now :doe: since it lives in the back yard. Last I knew the tubes didn't hold air, the :ramz: weren't straight, and the shifter only got you into some of the gears. :thisisfine:
Yep, and bikes aren't complex things. It's really not a lot of work to get it tuned up and sorted out.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:46 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:10 am

Yep, and bikes aren't complex things. It's really not a lot of work to get it tuned up and sorted out.
That's now plan A, then if I decide to actually ride often I can buy something better suited to whichever specific style I like. :scrooge:

Having suspension on a bike felt really weird just sitting on it in the store - and "adult sized" bikes in general feel weird to me. I put thousands of hours in on BMX style bikes up until I was just about the same size I am today, maybe an inch or two shorter and 20-30 lbs lighter. Fully upright riding position, standing on the pedals, with wide high handlebars... I only ever sat on the seat to coast when I was too tired to pedal. This whole idea of being way up high off the ground, unable to put my feet on the ground without dismounting, and tucked forward to grab the handle bars? It doesn't feel natural at all.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:56 am

If you're gonna be on the road in any capacity, get something with drop bars. Cross bike would be perfect for exactly what you're describing. Gravel bike is a little more road oriented and could do everything but the trail stuff, but depends on the bike.
Yas
troyguitar

If you're gonna be on the road in any capacity, get something with drop bars. Cross bike would be perfect for exactly what you're describing. Gravel bike is a little more road oriented and could do everything but the trail stuff, but depends on the bike.
For drag reduction? That position is the exact opposite of comfortable to me, but I guess you get used to it. :iono:

The Schwinn does have drop bars anyway so I can try it. I really liked the grips on the FX3 in the shop, but I know grips are relatively easy to change on flat bar bikes. They had a wing on them to spread the load and felt nice. Looked like these or very similar:

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/p ... OoQAvD_BwE
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:11 pm

For drag reduction? That position is the exact opposite of comfortable to me, but I guess you get used to it. :iono:

The Schwinn does have drop bars anyway so I can try it. I really liked the grips on the FX3 in the shop, but I know grips are relatively easy to change on flat bar bikes. They had a wing on them to spread the load and felt nice. Looked like these or very similar:

For various / alternate hand positions for longer rides.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Aero, stability, gets your mass lower when you’re goin’ fast.

It’s unnatural because it’s not what you’re used to. Once you do it, though, it all makes sense. Ride flat bars into a headwind and ride drop bars into a headwind. :math:
Flat bars kinda suck on asphalt.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Aero, stability, gets your mass lower when you’re goin’ fast.

It’s unnatural because it’s not what you’re used to. Once you do it, though, it all makes sense. Ride flat bars into a headwind and ride drop bars into a headwind. :math:

I say that I'm new to bikes but really I probably put 5000 hours in on the BMX/freestyle stuff, so I need to forget a whole lot of muscle memory. I used to be on the bike an hour a day during school and several hours a day during summer/weekends. On any kind of adult-sized bike I have maybe 5 hours total over 20 years and 5 different bikes, none of which were any good.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:23 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:55 pm

I say that I'm new to bikes but really I probably put 5000 hours in on the BMX/freestyle stuff, so I need to forget a whole lot of muscle memory. I used to be on the bike an hour a day during school and several hours a day during summer/weekends. On any kind of adult-sized bike I have maybe 5 hours total over 20 years and 5 different bikes, none of which were any good.
The muscle memory in your legs for pedaling is stronger than simply rotating your hands to hold handlebars differently. Adaptation would be pretty easy.

I mean, I switch from MTB to road every other ride.
Plus some Peloton rides thrown in the mix.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:36 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Plus some Peloton rides thrown in the mix.
:dat:

I'm ambicyclous.
:hue:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:23 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:55 pm

The muscle memory in your legs for pedaling is stronger than simply rotating your hands to hold handlebars differently. Adaptation would be pretty easy.

I mean, I switch from MTB to road every other ride.
:dat:
troyguitar

I did a quick dust off on the Schwinn today and it's pretty terrible. After lots of fuckery I think I got the shifters working OK, but the brakes are horrible and neither wheel is straight plus the tires are garbage. :thisisfine:

I did ride it for 5 minutes, god damn is it awkward to be up so high. How do you guys stop and start when your feet can't even touch the ground?