Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:56 am South Mountain Cycles in Emmaus. Saucon have one in Medium but I think it's a bit big for her.

Owner of the store is great... was telling me they've grown so much they just moved into a 13k sq/ft store and opened a cafe, and just got an OK to start serving beer and food later this summer.

I don't mind paying a premium simply because they have the bike, and if it fits... they win my business simply because of that and deserve to make a few bucks.
Thats awesome. I'd pay up too if they have the bike, as no damn bike store has bikes anymore. I really need to try out a Trance.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Bike sizing really is :fullretard: That's why it's important to ride a thing you're going to buy first...and makes bikesdirect a bit risky.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

If anyone is interested in Wifey's old bike...

Most bike shops are doing trade-in's now with Bicycle Blue Book, it seems. Every bike shop I've talked to is in the program. Their system can't account for upgraded components, so I'm basically getting $500 for the bike.

I'm going to put the bike back to stock with the OEM wheels and tires and RockShox Gold suspension, and list it for $795 online. New MSRP was $1470. If anyone here wants it for their other half, it's yours for $500. It's a size S Embolden good for 5'2" to 5'7".

I'll probably end up leaving the SLX drivetrain and dropper on it, and take the fork/wheels and build up a hardtail from the rest of my spare parts bin.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:29 pm If anyone is interested in Wifey's old bike...

Most bike shops are doing trade-in's now with Bicycle Blue Book, it seems. Every bike shop I've talked to is in the program. Their system can't account for upgraded components, so I'm basically getting $500 for the bike.

I'm going to put the bike back to stock with the OEM wheels and tires and RockShox Gold suspension, and list it for $795 online. New MSRP was $1470. If anyone here wants it for their other half, it's yours for $500. It's a size S Embolden good for 5'2" to 5'7".

I'll probably end up leaving the SLX drivetrain and dropper on it, and take the fork/wheels and build up a hardtail from the rest of my spare parts bin.
:evilplan:
Apex

Shit, I'd probably need to pick up some thru-axle adapters...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:28 pm Bike sizing really is :fullretard: That's why it's important to ride a thing you're going to buy first...and makes bikesdirect a bit risky.
:word:

I also believe a bit in the whole idea of buying things from shops who provide support, but it's hard to argue with the pricing and variety of interweb stuff. AFAIK no name-brand has any of these road-ish gravel/cross/whatever bikes for under $1200. The shop in the next town over had advertised a leftover 2017 Trek CrossRip 1 for $840 vs $1200 for the current version of it (Checkpoint AL3) but it had been sold for weeks and their website was not updated... and shops don't generally stock much anyway so you're still left ordering most things, just with perhaps a better return policy where you aren't paying for return shipping.

Is there a 3 figure option I'm missing from a name brand?
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:54 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:23 am Damn moran engineers strike again. How :dafuq: does 55 centimeters convert to 17 inches? :derp: :math:
Modern bikes are no longer sized off of the length of the seat tube. That's how classic frames are measured.

Ready to go down a wormhole and be introduced to a bicycle industry legend?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html
Oh man...this guy. :lolol:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:28 pm Bike sizing really is :fullretard: That's why it's important to ride a thing you're going to buy first...and makes bikesdirect a bit risky.

I also believe a bit in the whole idea of buying things from shops who provide support, but it's hard to argue with the pricing and variety of interweb stuff. AFAIK no name-brand has any of these road-ish gravel/cross/whatever bikes for under $1200. The shop in the next town over had advertised a leftover 2017 Trek CrossRip 1 for $840 vs $1200 for the current version of it (Checkpoint AL3) but it had been sold for weeks and their website was not updated... and shops don't generally stock much anyway so you're still left ordering most things, just with perhaps a better return policy where you aren't paying for return shipping.

Lower end Trek and Giant stuff should be in the 3 figures. For your purposes, seems adequate. :iono:

OR

Test ride stuff at the bike shop, find one you like and get the geometry chart online. Then try to find the closest thing to it on Bikesdirect.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:00 pm
The :mahtroy: of bikes.
:notbad:

I've seen a tiny amount of his site but not gone very far. It's no Time Cube but it's still :impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:00 pm
The :mahtroy: of bikes.
He should be on DFD.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:02 pm
Lower end Trek and Giant stuff should be in the 3 figures. For your purposes, seems adequate. :iono:

OR

Test ride stuff at the bike shop, find one you like and get the geometry chart online. Then try to find the closest thing to it on Bikesdirect.
I had my bike custom build based off of geometry on bikes I knew I liked.

Bottom line is, you have to ride things to find what you're looking for.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

And a poor fitting bike can really ruin the experience.
troyguitar

OR

The cheapest one I can find is this:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tough ... -gx-2-2020

$1100 vs $500 for basically the same shit from BikesDirect... and again, the shops don't actually stock shit so you can't test it either way.

If I drive to Philly can I actually take bikes which exist in stock to test for a few days? I'd consider doing that vs blowing $1200 with tax on a custom order in town or $500 on a blind online order.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:56 pm Shit, I'd probably need to pick up some thru-axle adapters...
For the Liv?

It'd be coming to you with a QR fork and the standard non tubeless wheels for $500. If you want all the goodies on it (120mm Fox 32 Performance, Fox DPS shock, Stan's wheels and full SLX drivetrain/brakes), it'd be $1k. I'd throw in a RockyMounts TA bed mount for you for the $1k.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:11 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:56 pm Shit, I'd probably need to pick up some thru-axle adapters...
For the Liv?

It'd be coming to you with a QR fork and the standard non tubeless wheels for $500. If you want all the goodies on it (120mm Fox 32 Performance, Fox DPS shock, Stan's wheels and full SLX drivetrain/brakes), it'd be $1k. I'd throw in a RockyMounts TA bed mount for you for the $1k.
Ahhh, forgot the stock wheels were QR.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:13 pm
He should be on DFD.
He's ded. :pouroneout:
:ohdang:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:14 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:10 pm

The cheapest one I can find is this:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tough ... -gx-2-2020

$1100 vs $500 for basically the same shit from BikesDirect... and again, the shops don't actually stock shit so you can't test it either way.

If I drive to Philly can I actually take bikes which exist in stock to test for a few days? I'd consider doing that vs blowing $1200 with tax on a custom order in town or $500 on a blind online order.
That toughroad actually looks to be exactly what you're looking for. :notbad:
Which is why I'm looking at interweb shit, because $500 vs $1100 is :mindblown: :dillerman: markup well beyond the realm of the reasonable. It seems like the local shops themselves should start stocking/ordering from BikesDirect.
Johnny_P

Welcome to my complaints for the past 300 pages :popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:21 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:14 pm

That toughroad actually looks to be exactly what you're looking for. :notbad:
Which is why I'm looking at interweb shit, because $500 vs $1100 is :mindblown: :dillerman: markup well beyond the realm of the reasonable. It seems like the local shops themselves should start stocking/ordering from BikesDirect.
Again, just see if you can find some things to ride to get an idea of the geometry you like. Then take that and shop it on bikesdirect.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

OR

Which is what's so frustrating about finding :boxodicks: for Wifey. Nowhere has bikes. I've had several stores tell me the only way to ride something they don't have is to pay $100 to demo a bike and they'll have a rep bring one in within 5-10 days. Some shops have offered me a good discount on the Intrigue Advanced 2 sight unseen but I have to gamble on size and pay a restocking fee EVEN IF I BUY ONE IN A DIFFERENT SIZE! They're just not willing to bring in a $4k bike for us to test.

A few factory owned Trek stores have offered at most $250 off a Remedy 8 with an MSRP of $4k... She rode one in Wales and loved it, but it's 32.5lbs in a medium and still more expensive than the 28.8lb Liv.
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:30 pm

Which is what's so frustrating about finding :boxodicks: for Wifey. Nowhere has bikes. I've had several stores tell me the only way to ride something they don't have is to pay $100 to demo a bike and they'll have a rep bring one in within 5-10 days. Some shops have offered me a good discount on the Intrigue Advanced 2 sight unseen but I have to gamble on size and pay a restocking fee EVEN IF I BUY ONE IN A DIFFERENT SIZE! They're just not willing to bring in a $4k bike for us to test.

A few factory owned Trek stores have offered at most $250 off a Remedy 8 with an MSRP of $4k... She rode one in Wales and loved it, but it's 32.5lbs in a medium and still more expensive than the 28.8lb Liv.
What shops offer discounts and demos? I think I need to just fucking drive down to PA if I want to actually test anything. Small town lyfe.

Up here it's 100% of MSRP and order-only with no demo options.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:32 pm

What shops offer discounts and demos? I think I need to just fucking drive down to PA if I want to actually test anything. Small town lyfe.

There's a lot of competition around the Philly metro area. I've literally called or stopped in 20+ Giant/Liv dealers since Sunday and asked how I can go about physically seeing something before i throw a few grand their way. It's a bit like car shopping anymore, it sucks.

This last shop I found that actually has the bike is 120 miles away from home. It's a lightly staffed shop with 3 employees and I got the owner on the phone when I called. I told him up front what my local store offered on price, and told him as long as the bike fits and he can come down off MSRP he's got my business simply because he actually stocks the thing. I told him I need her to physically get on the bike before I spend any money, and I'd hate to use his store just for a bike fit after a 240 mile round trip. Super cool guy and didn't seem to be feeding me a line of BS.
Johnny_P

:popcorn:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:32 pm

Syracuse or Rochester has GOT to have something. Rochester especially. If you come to Philly I'll take you on a ride :hubba:
Philly area shops don't really stock mountain bikes either. I think there are demos available though, and a few shops have some sort of rental thing going on for mountain bikes.
troyguitar

It looks like Giant is starting to come around, I missed these ones on their site before:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-3-2020

$100 cheaper than the Toughroad and with better hardware, Sora vs Claris. A little less tire clearance but still fits 38's which ought to be plenty for anything I'd ever care about. :notsure:

$200 cheaper than the Trek version:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... Code=white

That might maybe be worth waiting for? September availability is winter here :doe: so maybe wait until Spring to see what else comes out.
Johnny_P

Troy:

Rochester has some stuff.
https://www.tomsprobike.com/articles/bi ... pg1406.htm
$60/day for a full suspension bike. $30/ additional day.

https://www.tryonbike.com/products/demos-rentals
$50/day to rent, $75/day to demo something expensive, demo fees up to $150 deducted from a new bike purchase