Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:30 pm Orbea is painting a rear triangle for me to match the bike. ETA is 3 months.

I’m going to build a fun hardtail, and rent a bike when it’s time to hit the bike parks.

:boxodicks: incoming.
:mahman:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Facebook marketplace dude is selling one of these for $450. He threw on some knobbier tires and swept back handlebars.

It's a Kona Big Rove Steel. 2x10 mountain bike drivetrain, room for 700x50c (2" 29er!) tires, chromoly fork with all the rack and gear mounts, and rear rack mount points. Hydro disc. I don't know how to classify this. Kind of a rigid mountain bike but its designed to be a bikepacking rig or everyday runabout and still do well on road. I don't know though. Single butted steel frame and fork with super heavy wheels, it's going to weigh an absolute ton and feel dog slow.

Intent here would be to have a dad bike that I can just jump on whenever for whatever reason. Like, have an hour to go fart around so just go hit some local trails, or use it to run errands, or later on cart the kid around to day care or the park. Utilize the many mount points for a cargo basket, etc. At $450 price, I would be OK with changing some stuff on it like drivetrain to a 1x system or add a dropper post. But I won't be able to really drop weight unless I change wheels which is expensive. Hm.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:24 pm Facebook marketplace dude is selling one of these for $450. He threw on some knobbier tires and swept back handlebars.

It's a Kona Big Rove Steel. 2x10 mountain bike drivetrain, room for 700x50c (2" 29er!) tires, chromoly fork with all the rack and gear mounts, and rear rack mount points. Hydro disc. I don't know how to classify this. Kind of a rigid mountain bike but its designed to be a bikepacking rig or everyday runabout and still do well on road. I don't know though. Single butted steel frame and fork with super heavy wheels, it's going to weigh an absolute ton and feel dog slow.

Intent here would be to have a dad bike that I can just jump on whenever for whatever reason. Like, have an hour to go fart around so just go hit some local trails, or use it to run errands, or later on cart the kid around to day care or the park. Utilize the many mount points for a cargo basket, etc. At $450 price, I would be OK with changing some stuff on it like drivetrain to a 1x system or add a dropper post. But I won't be able to really drop weight unless I change wheels which is expensive. Hm.
At $450 that becomes an ultimate city bike. Screw the weight. Ride it and have fun with it, and when you taco a wheel, throw new wheels at it.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:Facebook marketplace dude is selling one of these for $450. He threw on some knobbier tires and swept back handlebars.

Sounds like you're looking for the same thing as me. In4resultz
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:24 pm Facebook marketplace dude is selling one of these for $450. He threw on some knobbier tires and swept back handlebars.

Bikes might be one of the few things where I don't think you could leave it sitting for sale and end up with a screaming deal. People are biking everywhere right now.

To that point, when I've been road biking, I always wave at other cyclists across the street or wherever, I've continued to notice that road cyclists are way less friendly than mountain bikers and mostly ignore me.

Is it because I have a three figure bike? No spandex? What gives?
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:44 am

Bikes might be one of the few things where I don't think you could leave it sitting for sale and end up with a screaming deal. People are biking everywhere right now.

To that point, when I've been road biking, I always wave at other cyclists across the street or wherever, I've continued to notice that road cyclists are way less friendly than mountain bikers and mostly ignore me.

A lot of roadies take themselves too seriously. “Train” hard so they can finish mid pack in the CAT3 race and maybe win a beer prime. They got no time for waves. MTB guys are way more likely to just be out fucking around. Like slam a beer at the trailhead. Those guys always wave and say hi. Yet another reason I love riding dirt.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:05 am

A lot of roadies take themselves too seriously. “Train” hard so they can finish mid pack in the CAT3 race and maybe win a beer prime. They got no time for waves. MTB guys are way more likely to just be out fucking around. Like slam a beer at the trailhead. Those guys always wave and say hi. Yet another reason I love riding dirt.
No “need” for spandex on dirt either. :fuckyeah:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

In4beerfilledwaterbottles
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:32 am

I wear it because I have 15-20 miles round trip on road to/from the trails.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:32 am

I have no issue with spandex if that's what people are comfy in... "just don't be a douche" is a good rule of thumb.

Man, I want to slam beers at the trailhead with this crew.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:41 am

I wave to everyone when I’m out, no matter how hard I’m riding. Most people wave back. :iono:

I did notice that when I rode in Miami, NOBODY waved. Bunch of dentists on :waxer: aero bikes.
:dat:

Here it is mostly really rich folk it seems... with sticks up their asses. :ohwell: I will just keep :hai:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:41 am

I wave to everyone when I’m out, no matter how hard I’m riding. Most people wave back. :iono:

I did notice that when I rode in Miami, NOBODY waved. Bunch of dentists on :waxer: aero bikes.
Freds
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:52 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:02 pm Cross bike front tire was flat today. Picked up a shard of glass and the stan's didn't seal it.

We'll see if its flat in the AM. Left it pointing down on the stand to hopefully get more sealant there.

That's another $60-70 plus re-taping the rim and even more stans sealant. :sad:
Can always pull it off, patch the inside of the tire, and reinstall.

Also, re-tape? :butwhy:
I have inner tube patches, not the self adhesive ones but vulcanizing ones. Think that'll work?

Pull the bead off, wipe area clean, maybe some solvent if I have any on that spot, and then apply the patchy jawn?

:disgust: but whatever. Tubeless is great until it isn't.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So I just ordered a Nukeproof Scout 27.5 frame and a few parts I need to build it up.

The plan is to build up a fun/aggressive hardtail and use as many donor parts from the Occam as I can for now - I have to strip that down anyway to disassemble the frame to swap over the rear triangle when it arrives. The Scout has a super slack 65 degree head angle (the Occam is 66.5 after I just updated it to 2019 spec) and is built around a 140mm fork and can take up to a 170mm dropper. It's Boost spaced so both of the wheelsets I have will work (one for XC tires and one for the AM/DH trails). The dropper post will fit, too.

Plan is to ride that out for the next few months, and I'll rent a bike when we go to the bike parks (if they're even open this season). When the Occam rear section comes back in, I'll buy a Fox 36 for that and put it back to the way it was. I'll then need a dropper and a basic drivetrain to complete the Scout.

The key question is: The Scout can take up to a 2.8" tire. Should I just say fuck it, and turn this into a plus bike from the outset?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:06 am

I have inner tube patches, not the self adhesive ones but vulcanizing ones. Think that'll work?

Pull the bead off, wipe area clean, maybe some solvent if I have any on that spot, and then apply the patchy jawn?

JB Weld
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Wouldn't you have replaced the tire anyway if it wasn't tubeless?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:20 am So I just ordered a Nukeproof Scout 27.5 frame and a few parts I need to build it up.
:popcorn:

I really wanted one of these, but they were out of stock for eternity and I ended up blowing way too much money on the Trance.
Last edited by coogles on Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:20 am So I just ordered a Nukeproof Scout 27.5 frame and a few parts I need to build it up.

The plan is to build up a fun/aggressive hardtail and use as many donor parts from the Occam as I can for now - I have to strip that down anyway to disassemble the frame to swap over the rear triangle when it arrives. The Scout has a super slack 65 degree head angle (the Occam is 66.5 after I just updated it to 2019 spec) and is built around a 140mm fork and can take up to a 170mm dropper. It's Boost spaced so both of the wheelsets I have will work (one for XC tires and one for the AM/DH trails). The dropper post will fit, too.

Plan is to ride that out for the next few months, and I'll rent a bike when we go to the bike parks (if they're even open this season). When the Occam rear section comes back in, I'll buy a Fox 36 for that and put it back to the way it was. I'll then need a dropper and a basic drivetrain to complete the Scout.

The key question is: The Scout can take up to a 2.8" tire. Should I just say fuck it, and turn this into a plus bike from the outset?
Can your current fork and ramz take a 2.8? I’m all about dat plus lyfe, it’s a lot of fun.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:51 am

Can your current fork and ramz take a 2.8? I’m all about dat plus lyfe, it’s a lot of fun.
I would think so... it's a boost spaced Fox 34.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:56 am
Apex wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:51 am

I would think so... it's a boost spaced Fox 34.
Ack. Actually, I forgot the 29ers usually have more clearance.

I may be limited to a 2.6 on the front. I'll measure when I get home.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Looks like a cool bike, Fled! I :wub: my hardtail, TBH.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:30 am

Wouldn't you have replaced the tire anyway if it wasn't tubeless?
No. Just throw a tube in there nfg. Inside the tire the threads were all intact. Just yet another pinhole type failure that stans was unable to cope with.
Johnny_P

Glued the patch on. We'll see what happens.
Johnny_P

Braaaped some singletrack in the Wissahickon today on the cross bike. Love this machine. Handles it’s own on trails that totally outclass it but can still rip pretty fast on the road.

Tire held with the tube patch glued to the inside. So that's cool.
Apex

Dirt was fabulous today; comfy when you smash into it too.
Nice fall this afternoon on my part. I heard someone coming up behind me so I went to check over my right shoulder and as I turned my head forward again my right hand smashed into a tree; kicked the front wheel 90 right and I go flying off out of the pedals. Landed like 2 feet away from the bike. I’ll probably feel that in the morning.

I usually don’t come out of the pedals when I fall. :lol: