Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:11 pm Dat is a really great looking bike. And if you wait until next year, it'll be on sale!
:mahtroy:
Johnny_P

This was one of the most fun mountain bikes I’ve ever ridden. The price is just outrageous though.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 pm Image

This was one of the most fun mountain bikes I’ve ever ridden. The price is just outrageous though.
You can say the same thing about the STI.

Some things are worth a premium for a reason.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:42 pm Man, between the Tennessee trip, the deck project, all the rain, and all the rain... I haven't touched my bikes since the beginning of the month.

:(
3 rides in the last year. It's more :disappoint: than :sad:

Hence - viewtopic.php?f=8&p=370886#p370886
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

This is what my dad built. He loves it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:45 pm

I was surprised by it. Way more plush than the 429 Trail. Rode more like the Switchblade. But the tiny wheels are just more of a riot. It has a ton of plow into shit ability while also remaining easy to loft into the air and couch like when you're pedaling.

The Hightower I rented in Sedona was a dump truck in comparison. Pedaled ok and rode well, but didn't have the descending capability, or loft-ability this did, and had some definite low speed/climbing wheel flop typical of long wheelbase 29ers.

I tested a Mach 6 same day as the 5.5. And I think the 6 actually climbed better. Could have been down to the tires, they were more aggressive. But I noticed wheel flop on that bike. And, it had the same "big bike" feel the Specialized Stumpjumper had, where it just wanted to party downhill but around tighter things or over logs or whatever it was kind of a handful.

I think they hit a pretty sweet spot with the 5.5. Its like a longer travel 5010, maybe a little less jumpy than that bike, but more confident and pedals way better.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:45 pm
I was surprised by it. Way more plush than the 429 Trail. Rode more like the Switchblade. But the tiny wheels are just more of a riot. It has a ton of plow into shit ability while also remaining easy to loft into the air and couch like when you're pedaling.

The Hightower I rented in Sedona was a dump truck in comparison. Pedaled ok and rode well, but didn't have the descending capability, or loft-ability this did, and had some definite low speed/climbing wheel flop typical of long wheelbase 29ers.

I tested a Mach 6 same day as the 5.5. And I think the 6 actually climbed better. Could have been down to the tires, they were more aggressive. But I noticed wheel flop on that bike. And, it had the same "big bike" feel the Specialized Stumpjumper had, where it just wanted to party downhill but around tighter things or over logs or whatever it was kind of a handful.

I think they hit a pretty sweet spot with the 5.5. Its like a longer travel 5010, maybe a little less jumpy than that bike, but more confident and pedals way better.
Did you buy one yet?
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:52 pm

Did you buy one yet?
Dude, the spec and price are retarded. I'd want a Sram Eagle one (I like Eagle better than Shimano, and Shimano is going 12 speed on their new stuff just announced like last week, and will require special hub bodies so you'd be buying an instantly outdated machine) hopefully with a Fox36 Fit4 fork and a DPX2. Well scratch the DPX2 because its only on the dentist builds so you're stuck with the smaller DPS which is probably fine.

"XO1 Eagle Race" which is really a hodgepodge of XO1, X1, and GX, $5500 and Fox36 Grip and a throwaway wheelset
"XO1 Eagle Pro" which is all XO1, $6400 and Fox36 Fit4, and a decent wheelset

Its just painful. Especially when a Trance Advanced 2 is $4300 and comes with a Fox36 Fit4, DPX2 rear, Sram NX (a downgrade from XO1 for sure), but has a carbon wheelset to make up for it. $2100 less, better suspension, downgrade on drivetrain (1 shifter, 1 derailleur, 1 cassette lol).

The :math: sucks on this.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:04 pm

Did you buy one yet?
Dude, the spec and price are retarded. I'd want a Sram Eagle one (I like Eagle better than Shimano, and Shimano is going 12 speed on their new stuff just announced like last week, and will require special hub bodies so you'd be buying an instantly outdated machine) hopefully with a Fox36 Fit4 fork and a DPX2. Well scratch the DPX2 because its only on the dentist builds so you're stuck with the smaller DPS which is probably fine.

"XO1 Eagle Race" which is really a hodgepodge of XO1, X1, and GX, $5500 and Fox36 Grip and a throwaway wheelset

Its just painful. Especially when a Trance Advanced 2 is $4300 and comes with a Fox36 Fit4, DPX2 rear, Sram NX (a downgrade from XO1 for sure), but has a carbon wheelset to make up for it. $2100 less, better suspension, downgrade on drivetrain (1 shifter, 1 derailleur, 1 cassette lol).

The :math: does suck on it. So go ride a Trance? I think Sourland Cycles has some demo bikes.
ChrisoftheNorth

Did you buy one yet?

Yea, but you have the money and this is your main hobby it seems....so just :troywax: already.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Trance, but ride is super subjective and you have to really love what you ride.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:12 pm

The :math: does suck on it. So go ride a Trance? I think Sourland Cycles has some demo bikes.
Shops around me have Trances to demo. So I think I owe it to myself to do that before going full retard on a bike purchase.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:16 pm

Shops around me have Trances to demo. So I think I owe it to myself to do that before going full retard on a bike purchase.
Do it mang, and then stop beating yourself up over things and pull the trigger on something.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:19 pm

Do it mang, and then stop beating yourself up over things and pull the trigger on something.
:iono: not really beating myself up. I have a mountain bike that's fine for the trails I ride. Just want something different, but at these prices I'm in no rush.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, I thought you've ridden one.

:doit:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Rode an Anthem, which was fun. Just too short on travel for what I want.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Rode an Anthem, which was fun. Just too short on travel for what I want.
Trance has always been the sweet spot with travel IMO.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:21 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:19 pm

:iono: not really beating myself up. I have a mountain bike that's fine for the trails I ride. Just want something different, but at these prices I'm in no rush.
When I went through the :boxodicks: saga back in the day and was getting screwed over buying the alloy version of my bike, the shop offered me the deal on the carbon Occam...

I hemmed and hawed over it for a week. It was $800 more than the alloy bike I'd ordered and paid for, and that just felt like insane money to spend given my financial situation at the time. It was a full $1400 off it's list price and ultimately I bit the bullet and don't regret it at all.

Then I took this stupid job and have no time to ride.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:44 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:21 pm

When I went through the :boxodicks: saga back in the day and was getting screwed over buying the alloy version of my bike, the shop offered me the deal on the carbon Occam...

I hemmed and hawed over it for a week. It was $800 more than the alloy bike I'd ordered and paid for, and that just felt like insane money to spend given my financial situation at the time. It was a full $1400 off it's list price and ultimately I bit the bullet and don't regret it at all.

Then I took this stupid job and have no time to ride.
Hard to pass up a deal like you got on the Occam. The :boxodicks: saga just sweetened it in the end anyway.
Johnny_P

Breakaway Bikes in Philly is closing. Becoming a Trek store. :sad:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

I saw there was a mountain bike event at wiss this past weekend.

It's mid june I haven't even ridden yet. :(
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:34 pm I saw there was a mountain bike event at wiss this past weekend.

:dat:

Ride count of zero since September. Somebody buy the Trance already!
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:34 pm I saw there was a mountain bike event at wiss this past weekend.

LMK if you want to ride. I'm always down to clown.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:13 pm

:dat:

Ride count of zero since September. Somebody buy the Trance already!
Nice signature :hubba:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:20 pm Nice signature :hubba:
Thought you might like that. :lol:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Just gotta get out man.
The problem is transport. I'm 99% sure I don't want to roof rack anymore. That leaves hitch as the only option. :disappoint: