Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:51 pm
coogles wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:11 pm

:science:

What's crazy, though, is two bikes with a similar suspension on paper can feel so damn different. The same day I demoed the Trance I rode a Scott Genius as well, and that bike is the definition of a couch. It was absolutely glued to the ground, while the Trance wanted to pop off of every little rise while having only 10mm less travel in the rear. :iono:
I'm also starting to think that shock settings can really make or break a test ride. Like, I'm 100% certain that the fork on the Specialized Stumpjumper I tested was set up with too much pressure because with that much travel there's no reason I should have felt so much chatter, while the Anthem was buttery smooth on the front. I'm also pretty sure that the Trek rear suspension was too low. But no shop worker or demo day flatbrim is going to take the time to properly adjust shock pressure to obtain ideal sag for a demo/test ride.

This is also why buying a cross or road bike is so straightforward. The only real variable is tire pressure. Other than that, it rides how it rides.
Absolutely. My bike feels slow and lethargic if I back the pressures down.

Take a shock pump with you, and set front sag to about 20% and rear sag to 25%. You're about the same weight as me, so on set the rebound to the middle setting, then go 2 clicks towards firm (there's 22 clicks on modern Fox forks and 16 or so on the rear) for a quick baseline I've found works well for me.

Once you own it you can fuck with coins and volume spacers from there.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Bike Park Wales does this with their rental bikes, too. Set you up with a baseline, have you make a quick lap on a rocky pump track with a small kicker, then check the travel o-rings and ask how it feels from there.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

How in hell is the cartridge in my dropper borked already? The thing is a whole year old. :rage:

That is all.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:19 am How in hell is the cartridge in my dropper borked already? The thing is a whole year old. :rage:

That is all.
What brand?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The seals should be replaced on my fork soon (probably the end of the season)... and probably for the rear shock.

I have discovered Fox 34's are all built off the same frame with some internal differences for the air shaft and volume spacers to set the travel.

The 2018+ Occam AM got a small bump in suspension travel from 140mm front and rear to 150. The only difference is a $40 shock mount on the frame, and a shock with a 10mm longer eye to eye. The air shaft for the fork is $35 and is apparently a 30 minute job with basic hand tools. I'll buy a take off Fox DXP2 for about $300, the air shaft and seals for the fork, and be able to upgrade the bike to the 2018+ spec for $400.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:24 pm The seals should be replaced on my fork soon (probably the end of the season)... and probably for the rear shock.

I have discovered Fox 34's are all built off the same frame with some internal differences for the air shaft and volume spacers to set the travel.

The 2018+ Occam AM got a small bump in suspension travel from 140mm front and rear to 150. The only difference is a $40 shock mount on the frame, and a shock with a 10mm longer eye to eye. The air shaft for the fork is $35 and is apparently a 30 minute job with basic hand tools. I'll buy a take off Fox DXP2 for about $300, the air shaft and seals for the fork, and be able to upgrade the bike to the 2018+ spec for $400.
:nice:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:18 pm
coogles wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:19 am How in hell is the cartridge in my dropper borked already? The thing is a whole year old. :rage:

That is all.
What brand?
It's the Giant Contact S Switch that came on my 2018 TA1. New cartridge should be here Friday, just in time for a weekend full of rain. More :rage:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:24 pm The seals should be replaced on my fork soon (probably the end of the season)... and probably for the rear shock.

DPX2 is fuckin sweet. So couchy.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:35 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:18 pm

What brand?
It's the Giant Contact S Switch that came on my 2018 TA1. New cartridge should be here Friday, just in time for a weekend full of rain. More :rage:
I’ve heard that happens with the giant droppers. Maybe replace with a PNW or RS?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:37 pm
coogles wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:35 pm

I’ve heard that happens with the giant droppers. Maybe replace with a PNW or RS?
If it fails again I’ll definitely look to another brand. New cartridge is already on the way, though, might as well swap it out and see how long the new one lasts.

I added a larger volume spacer to the DPX2 to see how that does, I’m crazy anxious to take it out. This bike never felt as poppy as the TA2 I demoed, so I’m hoping this will give me some of that feeling back. :excited:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:59 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:37 pm

If it fails again I’ll definitely look to another brand. New cartridge is already on the way, though, might as well swap it out and see how long the new one lasts.

I added a larger volume spacer to the DPX2 to see how that does, I’m crazy anxious to take it out. This bike never felt as poppy as the TA2 I demoed, so I’m hoping this will give me some of that feeling back. :excited:
Try a bit more pressure in the rear shock?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Just bought some new :fatty: bike shorts so I can get un :fatty:

Feels like such a waste because I'm hoping they're too big by the end of summer, but I know I won't ride as much without proper shorts/padding.
At least the ones I bought on amazon were on super sale for the :fatty: size.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:20 pm Try a bit more pressure in the rear shock?
I’m 180 pounds and to get the sag right I had to pump it up to 230. Shouldn’t have to go much over your body weight, plus I still found myself bottoming out more often than it should. A larger volume spacer should definitely help.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:20 pm Try a bit more pressure in the rear shock?
I’m 180 pounds and to get the sag right I had to pump it up to 230. Shouldn’t have to go much over your body weight, plus I still found myself bottoming out more often than it should. A larger volume spacer should definitely help.
I know nothing about shocks. In4results.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:23 pm
Not necessarily true with a RockShox rear shock... on wifey’s bike her pressure was up around 190 to set by sag, and she weighs 125lbs with a full hydration pack.

On the Fox EVOL I put on it recently, it’s closer to 120.

Don’t worry about what the pressure “should” be... I’ve found that setting the fork and rear shock to recommended sag percentages, I just dial in the rebound to the point the bike feels a bit poppy and ride from there.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:27 amNot necessarily true with a RockShox rear shock... on wifey’s bike her pressure was up around 190 to set by sag, and she weighs 125lbs with a full hydration pack.

On the Fox EVOL I put on it recently, it’s closer to 120.

Don’t worry about what the pressure “should” be... I’ve found that setting the fork and rear shock to recommended sag percentages, I just dial in the rebound to the point the bike feels a bit poppy and ride from there.
Mine is a Fox, a DPX2. The RS Deluxe RT on the TA2 I demoed was far more poppy than the Fox. The guy I bought it from was a little 140-150 pound dude and he put a smaller volume spacer in it, so fingers crossed this does the trick.

Then again, might just sell it. Already almost June and haven’t ridden it yet. Why in hell have a bike like this if I never ride?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Even though I bought the bike used, Giant is going to warranty the dropper. :fuckyeah:

Cartridge won't be here until Monday, though. :rage:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:51 pm Even though I bought the bike used, Giant is going to warranty the dropper. :fuckyeah:

Giant is a solid company
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:43 pm
coogles wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:51 pm Even though I bought the bike used, Giant is going to warranty the dropper. :fuckyeah:

Giant is a solid company
For sure. The bike shop bro I talked to said they’ve had a lot of Giant dropper cartridges come in. Might be :fakenews: , but Giant has updated the part numbers and the new ones are supposed to be better.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:42 pm Man, between the Tennessee trip, the deck project, all the rain, and all the rain... I haven't touched my bikes since the beginning of the month.

:(
Weather looks good this weekend.
Was good yesterday until the downpour.
Going out today with some friends for a "funk" ride. One of my buddies is in a funk and we're gonna try and cheer him up, lol. Gravely thing.
Going on a 50 mile road / gravel / singletrack ride tomorrow.

I wanna buy a bike. I think I owe it to myself to demo a Trance before I plunk way too much money on a Pivot. $4300 for a Fox36, DPX2, NX eagle, and carbon wheels. Debatably better spec'd (rear shock for sure) and $2k cheaper than the 5.5 and geometry numbers are pretty close.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:50 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:42 pm Man, between the Tennessee trip, the deck project, all the rain, and all the rain... I haven't touched my bikes since the beginning of the month.

Going out today with some friends for a "funk" ride. One of my buddies is in a funk and we're gonna try and cheer him up, lol. Gravely thing.

I wanna buy a bike. I think I owe it to myself to demo a Trance before I plunk way too much money on a Pivot. $4300 for a Fox36, DPX2, NX eagle, and carbon wheels. Debatably better spec'd (rear shock for sure) and $2k cheaper than the 5.5 and geometry numbers are pretty close.

It's a great spec. Nearly the same spec as last year's TA1 but with a more burly for for $800 less.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:50 pm

It's a great spec. Nearly the same spec as last year's TA1 but with a more burly for for $800 less.
Apex

Dat is a really great looking bike. And if you wait until next year, it'll be on sale!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:11 pm Dat is a really great looking bike. And if you wait until next year, it'll be on sale!
:lolol: :iswydt:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:37 pm
Apex wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:11 pm Dat is a really great looking bike. And if you wait until next year, it'll be on sale!
Pot, Kettle... :notsure:
:notwrong: