Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:06 pm I think we had this conversation once before, the closest place that's remotely "proper" is 3-4 hours round trip and some stupid amount of money for fitting. Plus the cost of parts or whatever whole new bike they try to sell me.

I'm done spending money, either I'll get good on the bike or I'll put it on crangslist this summer.
A fit would cost you whatever in gas, some time, and around $100. And would require us to not be in a damn lockdown.

Or just look up bicycle fit tips online. You’ll get really damn close. It’s the last 5% that’s near-impossible to nail down yourself unless you’ve got a power meter and know your own body limitations.
Starts at $120+tax but yeah. As you might guess, I've done the online research as much as I could and in theory I have a more or less perfect fit. I'm just a :pussy: and need to play through the pain - which I can do but really don't want to, this shit is supposed to be fun. How many miles do I need to ride before the fun starts?

Dunno, I'm rambling because it's 37 degrees and fucking raining and I'm bloody sick of the whole damn world right now. (I know you're in a worse position and in part I'm pissed off on your behalf)
troyguitar

On a lighter note, what's the best way to carry 2 bikes on my car? Looks like a hitch and hitch carrier might cost more than our bikes and be questionably safe. The slambert twin hitch is only rated for 100 lbs tongue wt, most hitch rack carriers are 30 or so lbs, my bike is 30 or so lbs, and the wife's is probably closer to 40. :doomed:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:33 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:59 pm I don't know what it is but somebody posted this a few weeks back on the racing forum and it looks pretty sweet, though more beefy than I really need. My 40mm tarz are plenty.

Something like a Salsa Fargo with flat bars would be ideal for you then.

http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/p/ ... sions.html

Even comes in purple!

https://www.huckleberrybikes.com/produc ... ike-purple

Anyways, I personally prefer drop bars on a road bike for aerodynamics/handling, but I'm :wrong:
Dang. Now I want this: https://www.huckleberrybikes.com/produc ... atbar-sora
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:23 pm Oh I don't even try to use the drops, except that also feels unsafe because my leverage on the brakes and control of the bars is terrible on the hoods... but the vision complaint I have is largely about forward vision. If my neck is aligned with my spine, then my head is pointed down and I'm looking directly at my front tire. I can't see more than maybe 20 feet down the road without craning my neck back.

I come from a car background. I'm ALWAYS looking as far forward as I possibly can. That means I'm killing my neck trying to do that on the bike.

Most of the guys in your example photos aren't even watching the road - or they have their heads tilted way back in order to see the road. How do you maintain that for hours on end without killing your neck?
FWIW, I don't like the drops either, and I feel I am actually getting pretty good at biking. I rode my MTB 22 miles on the road the other day no problem (granted at slow ass wife pace).

When I was riding to work with a fairly heavy backpack (laptop, lunch, change of clothes, towel, etc) it really hurt my kneck to look forward. No backpack that doesn't bother me as much, but I flip from the top of the bars to the droppers probably every minute or two.

My biggest issue is that blind spots with the droppers are really bad. A lot of my commute is on a pretty shitty four lane road where the traffic is going about 60 MPH at rush hour (headed away from town into work but still pretty highly trafficked).So I will ride on the righthand sidewalk, every cross street I am worried some :derp: will hit me as I cross and they turn right. With the drop bars it's extremely hard to look over your shoulders and see what's coming up from behind, making i rather :yikes:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:02 am
[user not found] wrote:
A fit would cost you whatever in gas, some time, and around $100. And would require us to not be in a damn lockdown.

Or just look up bicycle fit tips online. You’ll get really damn close. It’s the last 5% that’s near-impossible to nail down yourself unless you’ve got a power meter and know your own body limitations.
Starts at $120+tax but yeah. As you might guess, I've done the online research as much as I could and in theory I have a more or less perfect fit. I'm just a :pussy: and need to play through the pain - which I can do but really don't want to, this shit is supposed to be fun. How many miles do I need to ride before the fun starts?

Dunno, I'm rambling because it's 37 degrees and fucking raining and I'm bloody sick of the whole damn world right now. (I know you're in a worse position and in part I'm pissed off on your behalf)
Also, it has taken me riding about 50 miles a week for eight weeks to notice a huge improvement in comfort level, physical ability, etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:18 am On a lighter note, what's the best way to carry 2 bikes on my car? Looks like a hitch and hitch carrier might cost more than our bikes and be questionably safe. The slambert twin hitch is only rated for 100 lbs tongue wt, most hitch rack carriers are 30 or so lbs, my bike is 30 or so lbs, and the wife's is probably closer to 40. :doomed:
Is that the hitch that mounts to the tow hook points on the 86? That seems like the cool/easy way to go? Room racks look cool but are actually kind of anoying in practice, hitch works way better for ease of loading/unloading, cost effectiveness, and fuel economy.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My :scrooge: Amazon one is fine too. It is a hanging style which is definitely worse than a tray style, but it works :aintcare:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:38 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 am My :scrooge: Amazon one is fine too. It is a hanging style which is definitely worse than a tray style, but it works :aintcare:
If you're imparticular about the paint finish on the bike (and if your bike frames are more traditional), the hanging style is fine too. They don't work well (or possibly at all) for full-suspension bikes, and compatibility with bikes that have a slanted top tube can put the bike at weird angles and make you prone to dragging a wheel on the ground depending on your car.

They do allow the bikes/wheels to move around in transit if things aren't strapped down further, but a couple bungees can fix that.

But they are cheap.
Yeah I bungee mine and don't use the holder closest to the car to make sure they don't hit the car. I don't GAF about paint on my bikes, MTB is an MTB and my other bike is 36 years old. It is definitely a tad ghetto, but I can't bring myself to :wasteful: hundreds to upgrade. Maybe one day now that I'm riding more, if I'm still riding more. I'm contemplating a trailer hitch on the Kamry at the moment.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:02 am
[user not found] wrote:

I know the feels man. Being locked up, shit weather, gray skies, etc. We're all in it together but some of us are getting royally shit on, sadly :sad:

As for the when does it get fun part. That's up to you, really. Some people have fun immediately. I didn't. Took me maybe a year to have fun on a mountain bike, because I couldn't ride any obstacles and had to walk over them. Only once I got the courage to try and ride things did it start to get fun. Gravel cycling was immediately fun to me, but that's because I had ridden road bikes for a long ass time. But road bikes, with the position, distances, time in saddle etc took a year at least. I think once you get over the initial lack of endurance it picks up quick. Like, start out and 15 miles is all you can do tops. Then it goes to 20, then 30, then 40, then you can ride however long you want or you get faster at the shorter distance rides.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:50 am I found Troy's perfect bike.

:mahtroy:
This is a :notbad: bar bike for :drunk: path riding home.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:12 am
[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:33 pm

Something like a Salsa Fargo with flat bars would be ideal for you then.

http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/p/ ... sions.html

Even comes in purple!

https://www.huckleberrybikes.com/produc ... ike-purple

Anyways, I personally prefer drop bars on a road bike for aerodynamics/handling, but I'm :wrong:
Dang. Now I want this: https://www.huckleberrybikes.com/produc ... atbar-sora
Dad spec :megusta: I like this. Rack mounts everywhere too. Takes giant ass tires.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:18 am On a lighter note, what's the best way to carry 2 bikes on my car? Looks like a hitch and hitch carrier might cost more than our bikes and be questionably safe. The slambert twin hitch is only rated for 100 lbs tongue wt, most hitch rack carriers are 30 or so lbs, my bike is 30 or so lbs, and the wife's is probably closer to 40. :doomed:
Best option would be to outfit the wife's car for bike duty. But I think a hitch type carrier would be best if its possible. Tray loading is simple. They're easier to use, and I don't think your car can technically take a roof rack. Which is the main / only reason I went WRX instead of BRZ.
Johnny_P

Easton apparently makes chainring sets for their EC90 crank arms in 46/30 tooth combination. That's pretty fucking rad. The crank would be 150-200g lighter than my current jawn, and then I could drop to a 11-32t cassette in the rear and drop another 100g while ALSO getting an even lower climbing gear AND keeping my same top gear AND keeping same breakover clearance for logs.

250-300g drop is decently significant while keeping 2x drivetrain.

Pie in sky thoughts though. That would be like $600. Bike stuff is retarded expensive. I'd save more weight with a china carbon fork for $100.
Johnny_P

Would save 600g from just the carbon fork :mahman:

christ I'm fucking bored
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:15 am
Best option would be to outfit the wife's car for bike duty. But I think a hitch type carrier would be best if its possible. Tray loading is simple. They're easier to use, and I don't think your car can technically take a roof rack. Which is the main / only reason I went WRX instead of BRZ.
FWIW my buddy is 6'4"+ and fits his XL mountain bike in the back of his FRS no problem.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:50 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:15 am

FWIW my buddy is 6'4"+ and fits his XL mountain bike in the back of his FRS no problem.
XLs fit in flash drives that can go in any car :mahman:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:06 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:50 am

XLs fit in flash drives that can go in any car :mahman:
:lolol:

His bike is huge :doe: , I am 6'2" and can't even ride it at all. Just pop off the seat post and front wheel and it slides right in like a hotdog down a Toyobaru hallway.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:06 am XLs fit in flash drives that can go in any car :mahman:
Imageol:

His bike is huge :doe: , I am 6'2" and can't even ride it at all. Just pop off the seat post and front wheel and it slides right in like a hotdog down a Toyobaru hallway.
Yeah but 2 bikes, 2 people, and hopefully some luggage is going to require the bikes be outside somehow. Even the wife's mazderp3 would require the same thing, and I'd rather drive my car than be stuck taking hers.

Unfortunately it looks like a $300 hitch and a $XXX hitch carrier is the only real answer. Should've bought a :truk:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:35 am
D Griff wrote:
Imageol:

Yeah but 2 bikes, 2 people, and hopefully some luggage is going to require the bikes be outside somehow. Even the wife's mazderp3 would require the same thing, and I'd rather drive my car than be stuck taking hers.

Unfortunately it looks like a $300 hitch and a $XXX hitch carrier is the only real answer. Should've bought a :truk:
Hitch is $300? :wtf:

Normally they are around $100, in fact, my same buddy with FRS mentioned when we rode MTB the other day that it was around $100 for his car. And the $XX hitch carrier does work just fine, I have been using it successfully on the C5 for at least three years now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

But doom and gloom on.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:But doom and gloom on.
Yeah the tow hook hitch is $300. I guess it's only 1% of $30k :doe:

:math:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:44 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:51 pm My neck might just be fucked from hockey. Dunno, would need to live in a real city to see some real doctors and some real bike fit pros. Not gonna happen this year.
Riser stem would help, and getting a fit analysis done would also help.

Any proper bike shop should have someone trained in bike fit and body geometry.
If you do get a "proper" bike fit, be sure you're clear about what you intend to be doing with the bike, though. I'm pretty damn bendy and plenty flexible enough to get into the drops, but not necessary in cycling condition for it, nor was I ever planning of doing any racing of any kind. But when I got a free fitting on my CAAD10 when I bought it, the guy put on a longer stem and because I'm already leggy for my height, the drop + reach to the bars was REALLY excessive for anything other than short crit racing. About 90 minutes on that thing was all I could stand, and it made me never want to ride it. Couple that with a stiff aluminum frame and tiny 23c tires and that bike did nothing but sit for years.

I rode a size larger Emonda SL last summer and, between taller head tube, less seat post sticking out, larger tires and carbon frame, it felt like I could have ridden that bike for hours and not complained too much. Had I bought a Madone one size up I might have actually enjoyed cycling to some degree.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Orbea came back and told me they're only going to replace the rear triangle, they don't stock any in orange, and my choice is red, or black and green.

I told them I want a new frame. If I had a customer with an issue and I gave them car back with a different color hood, seat or trim panel, that would not fly.

I asked for a new complete frame. They've offered me a 20% discount on a new bike and that's all they will do. They'll still fix it with the mis-matched triangle.

New Occam's off the table.
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote:Orbea came back and told me they're only going to replace the rear triangle, they don't stock any in orange, and my choice is red, or black and green.

I told them I want a new frame. If I had a customer with an issue and I gave them car back with a different color hood, seat or trim panel, that would not fly.

I asked for a new complete frame. They've offered me a 20% discount on a new bike and that's all they will do. They'll still fix it with the mis-matched triangle.

:disgust:

Time for Halloween spec orange and black. :pumpkin:
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:59 am Orbea came back and told me they're only going to replace the rear triangle, they don't stock any in orange, and my choice is red, or black and green.

Yeah sadly I think many companies have this sort of policy. That blows man. Get the rear triangle from them and paint match it with spray bike or something?