Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:30 am I want a new bike.
Demo 8 is calling!
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:21 am
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:30 am I want a new bike.
Can we go in on an apartment somewhere to just hardpark bikes in?
Get rid of that tent topped short bus of yours and turn your garage into a bike palace.
Johnny_P

This is going to be an awesome bike. I’m much excite to see it built up!
Johnny_P

I rode the gravel bike this weekend. 3 of us went through some abandoned stuff in West Philly, through John Heinz wildlife preserve, and then through Darby and Cobbs Creek to get home. 40 miles. Got done before the snow/rain and it was a rather nice 36-40F the entire ride.

Felt really good to get out on the bike for a bit.

Johnny_P

Philly area peoples, here's a good resource for rides (mostly road) that are local to the city.

http://www.qcwcycling.org/qcw/area-rides/

Newcomers would be welcome at the pizza ride, Thursday hills ride, and possibly Vino Velo if there's a B group behind the fast guys. The Thursday hills ride is supposedly a lot of fun but I've never done it. Tuesday pizza ride and fountain rides are both pretty good. Fountain ends up being mostly grumpy dads but they're pretty quick and it IS a drop ride so you need to be able to hold a B/C pace of like 15-16 MPH. They get stopped at traffic lights often and will make sure you know how to get home if you can't keep up with them. I don't struggle to keep up with that ride but I do get a workout and am rather tired at the end. It's a GREAT ride to learn group peloton manners as they will call you out on bad habits, and you finish with a paceline and sprint at the end.

https://www.instagram.com/rohancycling/

Rohan Cycling will post up every Tuesday regarding pizza ride, if it's happening, what to expect, etc. Usually the post is up by 4:00 PM for the 6:00 PM meet up. But there's always people there regardless. Very chill group, and a great way to get to know people in the community with pizzas and peronis afterwards. Sometimes there is a CX group, sometimes a MTB group. There's almost always a "chill" slower no drop group and a "thrills" face pace drop group. Everyone is welcome, but if you cannot reasonably hang, someone might say the ride isn't quite for you. That said, "hang" is like 14 MPH, lol, we've only had to tell one or two people on cruiser bikes they shouldn't really be here. We've had CX bikes, mountain bikes, and fat bikes keep up with the B road group. Check the comments to see if someone is organizing a dirt ride but otherwise it's a road ride. Meet at the Italian Fountain behind the Art Museum.

https://www.instagram.com/belmont_trails/

Belmont Trails Alliance holds a VERY informal Thursday night MTB "race" series in the spring/summer/fall. This group is totally grassroots, everyone is extremely friendly, and while the front of the pack is racing, the back is just out for a fun group ride. This has everyone from the fastest Philly MTB racers to people new to the sport. 2 laps of the course which is marked very well with cones and flags. Meet at the big tree at the base of the Belmont Plateau by the "Car Barn" around 6:00-6:30 PM. FREE!!! Location:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Belmo ... 75.2095854

https://www.instagram.com/pioneerscycling/

Pioneers is my group that I ride with. We are pretty disorganized, but stay tuned. We post our rides up on Facebook because we're old and not cool. But we are trying for one a month. Mostly CX and exploration type rides 40-70 miles, with a mix of road and dirt and MTB trails. File tread or knobby tread recommended, almost everyone will be on a drop bar CX style bike. Many will have packs with them. Some bring whisky, lol. Come out and have fun we DGAF if you're fast or full turtle we just like riding bikes.

Just about every shop has a weekend ride. Cadence Cycling has a rather snotty very fast pace ride. Bicycle Therapy used to, and I think still does, have both a fast and slower ride that's a lot of fun. Bikesmith was doing rides for a bit but I don't think they do anymore. Best to call the shop and see what's up, or discuss with them if you stop in.

Only requirement for all these rides is to wear a helmet. They will ask you not to participate if you show up without one.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:23 amHelpful deets. I'd love to make it down to some of these rides this year. I enjoy a good group ride.
You should try and make it to the Thursday Belmont races. You'd like it I think. I'd be glad to lead a group ride through Belmont so you can see the terrain.
Johnny_P

Anyone doing any riding? Weather is nice.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

It gon rain Friday but I might say fuck it and go out sat afternoon.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:48 am Anyone doing any riding? Weather is nice.
Was hoping to sneak away from work and go riding yesterday afternoon, but I got stuck at the office. Boooooooooooooooooo. Now today it's effing pouring. Hopefully this weekend.
Johnny_P

New Bontrager wavecel technology for helmets looks legit af.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/wavecel-b ... ology.html

Might pick one up. I don't like how little protection my Specialized S3 has. I was going to get a Lazer for more temple protection but I might check these new Bontys out.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:11 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:23 pm New Bontrager wavecel technology for helmets looks legit af.

Might pick one up. I don't like how little protection my Specialized S3 has. I was going to get a Lazer for more temple protection but I might check these new Bontys out.
Sweet Jethuth, that's :waxer:

Neat tech, doe.
Yeah. $300 is :notsure:
But these helmets do seem to have a measurable gain in impact protection.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:13 pm Also, the Sacklist rides great - never posted an update on that.

Almost nailed my fit right out of the gate. Came home and compared it to the Schwinn, which was the last bike I was properly fit on, and I was less than a half inch off in saddle height (could've gone higher). I'll make that tweak and try to get out on it later this week (hopefully Thursday isn't the deluge they're calling for) and just nail down the final fit.

But it handles pretty well, a little more aggressive than expected but turn in is great. Literally point and shoot, the fork with the thru-axle is stiff AF. And man is it comfy.
What head angle and fork offset did you guys go with?
Johnny_P

Also, said it before and I'll say it again. I'm :jelly: as hell on that bike. Steel, thru axles, hydro disc, 40c tires, and 20 ish lbs is really ideal.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:23 pm New Bontrager wavecel technology for helmets looks legit af.

Neat tech, doe.
I've fallen off a bike hard enough to crack a helmet and have a severe concussion and post concussion syndrome for the better part of a year. $300 for a helmet is cheap.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:48 pm

Neat tech, doe.
I've fallen off a bike hard enough to crack a helmet and have a severe concussion and post concussion syndrome for the better part of a year. $300 for a helmet is cheap.
I am pretty sure I had a concussion from my road accident a couple years ago. Split my Specialized helmet in half. So it did it's job, but I still had a pounding headache for 2 days. Concussions result in brain damage. If an additional $150 prevents that I think it's worth the added cost.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:34 pm

What head angle and fork offset did you guys go with?
73* head angle, 47mm rake.
That's a pretty road-y front geo. But should be fine I think once you get used to it. My macho man is only a half degree slacker than that.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:00 am Went HAM on a bunch of stuff today.

Picked up a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt bundle @ REI, and ordered a couple extra mounts and sensors to convert the whole fleet over to the Wahoo setup. Done with the mish-mosh of bike computers and Strava on the phone. Time for one simple solution.

Also ordered some new spring riding gloves, some shot bloks, some socks, and some new toe covers. Need to keep my eyes open for some deals on spring/fall riding gear - I need a proper long sleeve jersey and bib knickers, and I could use some new arm warmers and knee warmers. I'd definitely ride earlier/deeper into the year with the right thermal gear.
https://www.theblackbibs.com/shop/the-black-bibs-plus

These get great reviews and don't break the bank. My next pair will be a set of these.

Also check out sierra trading post. I got a few really good deals last year on $200 bibs for $50-70.
Johnny_P

Fun day. 58 miles. Rode MTB trails at high rocks on the cross bike. Many gravel sections. Ate a ham and egg sandwich. Drank some beers. Dead.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Shit, this reminds me I need to swap my tires.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:00 am Went HAM on a bunch of stuff today.

Picked up a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt bundle @ REI, and ordered a couple extra mounts and sensors to convert the whole fleet over to the Wahoo setup. Done with the mish-mosh of bike computers and Strava on the phone. Time for one simple solution.

Also ordered some new spring riding gloves, some shot bloks, some socks, and some new toe covers. Need to keep my eyes open for some deals on spring/fall riding gear - I need a proper long sleeve jersey and bib knickers, and I could use some new arm warmers and knee warmers. I'd definitely ride earlier/deeper into the year with the right thermal gear.
FWIW... it was rather pricey.... but I LOVE my Ornot purple long sleeve thermal jersey. With just that, a long sleeve base layer, and a vest, I'm good down to freezing temps.

My vest is from Pactimo and it's ok. Wish it had more reflective stuff on the back, but it's warm enough. Deep pockets. Could use a zipper pocket.

My Smartwool arm warmers are awesome. They stay up on your arms and are nice and warm but still breathe well. I don't use them much anymore. Only time they're used is throwing them in the back pocket on early/late season pizza rides to keep me warm on the way home when it's dark.

Neck gaiters are awesome too, they add a few degrees to any outfit.

I need sunglasses. My buddy Bobby can get me some 100%'s at discount, I might take him up on it.
Johnny_P

One of my friends I was riding with yesterday had a Wahoo GPS bike computer. He was able to tell it to take us back to the car with just a few clicks and it started to route us. Pretty neat. Easy to read screen, easy to use. He said he likes it a lot more than the Garmins he used to own.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:54 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:34 am One of my friends I was riding with yesterday had a Wahoo GPS bike computer. He was able to tell it to take us back to the car with just a few clicks and it started to route us. Pretty neat. Easy to read screen, easy to use. He said he likes it a lot more than the Garmins he used to own.
I'm truly impressed with the Wahoo - excellent smartphone integration and awesome functionality.

I had it set up to broadcast my location on a map to the wife during the HoH yesterday so that she could time her arrival to my personal illegal feed zone, and it worked pretty flawlessly as long as I had a signal.
I did not realize it could do this. That is pretty :neat:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:54 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:34 am One of my friends I was riding with yesterday had a Wahoo GPS bike computer. He was able to tell it to take us back to the car with just a few clicks and it started to route us. Pretty neat. Easy to read screen, easy to use. He said he likes it a lot more than the Garmins he used to own.
I'm truly impressed with the Wahoo - excellent smartphone integration and awesome functionality.

I had it set up to broadcast my location on a map to the wife during the HoH yesterday so that she could time her arrival to my personal illegal feed zone, and it worked pretty flawlessly as long as I had a signal.
That's pretty :neat: !
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:57 am
I did not realize it could do this. That is pretty :neat:
Yeah, it's similar to Strava's Beacon feature but it's entirely independent of Strava. I rode for 6 hours yesterday and still had over 60% of the GPS battery left I believe, too. Need to check that tonight when I get home.
Did you use the mapping function on the Bolt itself? Like load the route beforehand so you got turn by turn nav or did you not play with that yet?

Reading more about these, seem they're awesome picks as MTB computers, as the maps can be pretty detailed.
Apex

How'd the #sacklist handle HoH?