Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote:
Fuck, that looks fun.
Sure does! :excited:

The climb to the top would be just your kind of crazy too.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

:megusta: braaaap
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:37 pm Am going to try to bug out of work a little early tomorrow to hit up Southwestway. I was too big of a :pussy: to go down the first line when I had my Orbea, but it’s time to head back now that I’m getting better. Here’s to hoping I don’t die on the rock garden heading into the jump track.

Things are slow at work for the moment so I took a leisurely 2 hour lunch break to come here. I started with a short loop that's about a mile long just to get warmed up, then hit the climb up to the trailhead where the 3 main downhill runs start. I did the second line in this video first, but it was SO dry today that I had a really hard time keeping my speed up through the berms. I just did not have enough speed to carry me over the tabletops because of it. I'm sure some of it was me, but I couldn't put much of any weight on the front tire or it'd wash out instantly. I tried to keep my weight back and really drive the back wheel around with the outside leg, but that only seemed to get me so far. I don't think the High Roller II helps much here. The outside lugs are spaced really far from the center ones, so there's this big dead zone as you start to lean the bike over. Thinking of swapping it out for the DHR II.

I tackled the rock garden next after walking it first, and it was a :knot: -puckering experience to say the least. Unlike in the video I tip-toed my way down before mashing the pedals to pick up speed once I hit the dirt. Similar to the first trail, though, I couldn't keep my momentum in some sections to clear everything like it was designed. Still sort of fun, but nowhere near as fun as it should be. I'm definitely not a good enough rider yet to take full advantage of that run.

In other news, my former riding buddy just went and sold his bike out of nowhere. Just :rage: quit MTBing. :foreveralone:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Is it worth going cheap on one of these vs full :troywax: on a trainer that mounts directly to the crank?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/ ... taEALw_wcB

I plan to use the thing probably 5-10 hrs a week on zwift for the 8 months a year of shit weather up here. Fuck riding in the dark, ice, salt, etc.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:37 am Is it worth going cheap on one of these vs full :troywax: on a trainer that mounts directly to the crank?

I plan to use the thing probably 5-10 hrs a week on zwift for the 8 months a year of shit weather up here. Fuck riding in the dark, ice, salt, etc.
They work. You’ll need a trainer tire if you go that route. They are slick and hard wearing and can take the heat without flaking apart. Your knobbies are not compatible with that.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:47 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:37 am Is it worth going cheap on one of these vs full :troywax: on a trainer that mounts directly to the crank?

They work. You’ll need a trainer tire if you go that route. They are slick and hard wearing and can take the heat without flaking apart. Your knobbies are not compatible with that.
Yeah it seems like either way I need to buy more shit to make any of this work, but it's more a question of durability and general "feel" of the cheap roller unit vs direct drive. $250 vs $750+ for a direct drive unit seems hard to argue against unless the roller just plain sucks. :iono:

As usual, NFW will I be able to try any of these things out for myself. Especially not before the clearance sale runs out on the Vortex.

Edit: screw it, ordered one. The $20 off for new accounts stacked with the clearance price so it was $230 shipped. Couldn't afford not to buy it! :troywax:
Johnny_P

I played bikes today.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:01 pm I played bikes today.
:jelly:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 pm
Johnny_P wrote:I played bikes today.
Deets?

I wanna come down and ride wiss.
Just a quickie (slowie?) through Belmont. 17 miles. PR'd crossbow trail :notbad:

New tires are good. I'm up to a 2.3 Nobby Nic on the front and moved the 2.2 NN to the rear. Lots more grip than that conti had.

The dirt is good right now brah. Wiss would be prime.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Just a quickie (slowie?) through Belmont. 17 miles. PR'd crossbow trail :notbad:

New tires are good. I'm up to a 2.3 Nobby Nic on the front and moved the 2.2 NN to the rear. Lots more grip than that conti had.

Yeah, riding all over is solid right now. I ripped Mercer on Tuesday night and set a new KOM/PR on my race loop.

Been trying to beat my previous best time for 2 years.

https://www.strava.com/segments/20532363?filter=overall
Dope. You’re fast.

I’m amazed at the grip and plushness. That damn conti had sidewalls that were way too stiff. The NN on the back may be too aggressive but I’m loving the sheer grip and keep setting PRs. Even more today.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Yeah, riding all over is solid right now. I ripped Mercer on Tuesday night and set a new KOM/PR on my race loop.

Holy shit I’m still second.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I went with the smart trainer for the realistic road feel. I’ve had to have my KICKR Core warrantied out twice, but haven’t put any time on the second replacement other than make sure it works. Wahoo definitely had some qc issues.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Holy shit I’m still second.
Sher-dog is 16 overall. :like:
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote:

I went with the smart trainer for the realistic road feel. I’ve had to have my KICKR Core warrantied out twice, but haven’t put any time on the second replacement other than make sure it works. Wahoo definitely had some qc issues.
This one is also "smart" just with a roller instead of direct drive. I still need to find a cheap rear wheel to put a trainer tire on too and wait for it to ship :doe: so it'll be awhile before I try it.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:14 pm
fledonfoot wrote:
This one is also "smart" just with a roller instead of direct drive. I still need to find a cheap rear wheel to put a trainer tire on too and wait for it to ship :doe: so it'll be awhile before I try it.
Velomine.com has cheap wheelsets, but for a single rear wheel eBay will probably be best.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:37 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:14 pm This one is also "smart" just with a roller instead of direct drive. I still need to find a cheap rear wheel to put a trainer tire on too and wait for it to ship :doe: so it'll be awhile before I try it.
Velomine.com has cheap wheelsets, but for a single rear wheel eBay will probably be best.
Could just get a tire and tube
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
fledonfoot wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:37 pm Velomine.com has cheap wheelsets, but for a single rear wheel eBay will probably be best.
Could just get a tire and tube
Could but I don't want to do that swap twice every time I want to ride inside/outside. Looks like a wheel+cassette should exist for <$100. I'm :notsure: what I need on spacing :doe: since my stuff is wide at 135mm.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Uggghhhh.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/ ... 03444.html

Ultegra build with carbon Bontrager Aeolus Comp 5 TLR wheels. :stig:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:50 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:19 pm Uggghhhh.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/ ... 03444.html

Ultegra build with carbon Bontrager Aeolus Comp 5 TLR wheels. :stig:
I think the new Treks are great looking bikes.

The minimalistic paint/graphics really is a 5/7 move by them.
Yep they look awesome.

:datass:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:57 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Yep they look awesome.

:datass:
You gonna come shred with us at Nox tomorrow? Play hooky and :doit:
I have nothing to play hooky from :lolol:

I'm playing referee today tho.

Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:58 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:57 pm

You gonna come shred with us at Nox tomorrow? Play hooky and :doit:
I have nothing to play hooky from :lolol:

I'm playing referee today tho.

:wub:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:50 pm I think the new Treks are great looking bikes.

The minimalistic paint/graphics really is a 5/7 move by them.
I find that red incredibly boring, but I loved how the Emonda rode and that's a great spec for the price compared to $2k for an aluminum 105 build new. The purple chip is fucking sweet, tho.

Financial forecast with twins is :doomed:, however.
Apex

Someone beat you, on a bike, by an hour? :impressive:
Looks like a ridiculous ride. I’m Wahoo curious now. :lol:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:38 am
Apex wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:26 am Someone beat you, on a bike, by an hour? :impressive:
He was on a Specialized Tarmac, not a gravel bike, so he could really crush the pavement sections in the first half of the course. His pace was equal to mine on the back half of the course though. Plus, he blew right past the first aid station, and barely stopped at 2 and 3. I utilized the hell out of the aid stations, I was blowing through 2 bottles every 25 miles because it was so damn dry and hot.

I also took a look at the Strava flybys - and it seems the guy who finished 3rd cut a nice little chunk off the course. I was wondering how he caught me out of nowhere.
Those cheeky bastards!
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:38 am
Apex wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:26 am Someone beat you, on a bike, by an hour? :impressive:
He was on a Specialized Tarmac, not a gravel bike, so he could really crush the pavement sections in the first half of the course. His pace was equal to mine on the back half of the course though. Plus, he blew right past the first aid station, and barely stopped at 2 and 3. I utilized the hell out of the aid stations, I was blowing through 2 bottles every 25 miles because it was so damn dry and hot.

I also took a look at the Strava flybys - and it seems the guy who finished 3rd cut a nice little chunk off the course. I was wondering how he caught me out of nowhere.
Road bikes as cross bikes :wub:
I have done this before.
It's stupid.

Nice ride brah. Now you need some 40 mm tires.