Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

:ohdang: Thanks!

Which of those do you think off the best bang for your buck? Obviously, cheaper would be easier to fit in the budget, but I also wouldn't want to skimp either.
The panda hath arrived.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Jaxper wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:45 pm

Which of those do you think off the best bang for your buck? Obviously, cheaper would be easier to fit in the budget, but I also wouldn't want to skimp either.
Either the Allez or the Crossrip. I think for what you want to do, the crossrip sounds good. But really just make sure shifters work, brakes work, and that the bike fits you. If you feel too stretched out on it pass it up, it looks a little large visually despite being a 58. Both of those can take 28mm tires and sit you a bit more upright. The crossrip can probably take 35s (better for hopping curbs and potholes). And it'll be easy to add racks and bags to either one.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:55 pm
Jaxper wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:45 pm

Either the Allez or the Crossrip. I think for what you want to do, the crossrip sounds good. But really just make sure shifters work, brakes work, and that the bike fits you. If you feel too stretched out on it pass it up, it looks a little large visually despite being a 58. Both of those can take 28mm tires and sit you a bit more upright. The crossrip can probably take 35s (better for hopping curbs and potholes). And it'll be easy to add racks and bags to either one.
Thanks again! I appreciate the input from someone much more knowledgeable on the subject.
The panda hath arrived.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

EDIT: Double post.
The panda hath arrived.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Assuming I were to go through with this, what other gear is necessary? Helmet is obvious, but what should be considered for commuter rides (~1h15m each way)?
The panda hath arrived.
Johnny_P

Jaxper wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:49 am Assuming I were to go through with this, what other gear is necessary? Helmet is obvious, but what should be considered for commuter rides (~1h15m each way)?
Blinky light for the back if you’ll be on the road comes with a strong recommendation from me.
Maybe a headlight if you’re riding at dawn
I ride with flat repair stuff like a tube, tire levers, and a mini pump in a small bag under my seat. Any shop or REI can teach you how to fix a flat it’s easy.

U lock with cable for the front wheel if it’ll be outside or on a rack.

Air floor pump for home

That’s about all really. Add stuff if you want it. Some sunglasses would be a good call you can use whatever for that though.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Appropriate shorts/liners for comfort in the saddle.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Thanks @Johnny_P and @Apex :like:
The panda hath arrived.
Johnny_P

Philly peoples: 60-65 ish mile CX and mixed surface metric century on July 21st. It'll be brutal. Come out and get rekt. My recommendation is a cross bike with 35-40mm tires, tubeless, and you should be able to ride about 16-18 MPH consistently. 65 miles of mixed surface is like 80 miles of pavement.

This should go through some stuff you've never ridden before.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:01 pm Philly peoples: 60-65 ish mile CX and mixed surface metric century on July 21st. It'll be brutal. Come out and get rekt. My recommendation is a cross bike with 35-40mm tires, tubeless, and you should be able to ride about 16-18 MPH consistently. 65 miles of mixed surface is like 80 miles of pavement.

That sounds genuinely awful.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:01 pm Philly peoples: 60-65 ish mile CX and mixed surface metric century on July 21st. It'll be brutal. Come out and get rekt. My recommendation is a cross bike with 35-40mm tires, tubeless, and you should be able to ride about 16-18 MPH consistently. 65 miles of mixed surface is like 80 miles of pavement.

That sounds genuinely awful.
It’s a great route with beers at the end. But yeah you’ll be roasted by the end of it.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:55 pm

Sounds awesome.

I should order another wheelset for the Sacklist and some fatter tires. It's exactly what I built the bike for.
Can it take 650b? I have 40mm WTB nanos they’re good. A lot of my friends ride WTB resolute and like them.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:43 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:58 pm

Can it take 650b? I have 40mm WTB nanos they’re good. A lot of my friends ride WTB resolute and like them.
:iono:

It's designed around 40mm 700c tires.
Hm. Maybe not then. But 700x40 should be fine for anything up by us. Anything more than that and you should probably just be on a mountain bike anyway.

I really do like my Nanos. They're worth checking out of you want something that's a bit more dirt ready but still rolls great.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Haven't had much serious interest in the bike so I decided to take it out for a loop at Town Run over lunch. I left myself time to do two, but honestly I was bored as hell. :notsure: if it's because I was riding alone or because I'd already sort of come to terms with selling the bike, but I'm pretty sure I'm ready to off the thing for the first reasonable offer I get. :sad:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:19 pm Haven't had much serious interest in the bike so I decided to take it out for a loop at Town Run over lunch. I left myself time to do two, but honestly I was bored as hell. :notsure: if it's because I was riding alone or because I'd already sort of come to terms with selling the bike, but I'm pretty sure I'm ready to off the thing for the first reasonable offer I get. :sad:
What about The Pro's Closet? I think you can sell it to them? There may be more places like that for used high end good condition bikes.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:31 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Hm. Maybe not then. But 700x40 should be fine for anything up by us. Anything more than that and you should probably just be on a mountain bike anyway.

I really do like my Nanos. They're worth checking out of you want something that's a bit more dirt ready but still rolls great.
I’ve been rolling these 32c Refuses and they’ve been fantastic. Fast rolling and very versatile.
I should look at those when I need new roadie tires. The Conti 4seasons are a little rough. The boat anchor wheelset can't take tubeless though so I dunno.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:31 pmWhat about The Pro's Closet? I think you can sell it to them? There may be more places like that for used high end good condition bikes.
Hadn’t heard of it, but seems promising. I put in a submission, so we’ll see if/what they offer. :popcorn:
Johnny_P

Bicycle Revolutions in Philly is closing. That sucks hard, it was a great shop. That's where I bought my cross bike, and I've gone there countless times for advice or suggestions. They always had a great stock of bikes and gear. :sad:

I guess stay tuned for DEALS DEALS DEALS. Bryan will probably blow out remaining inventory starting in August. I'll probably pick up some new tires at least. Gotta get over there soon, I don't mind paying full price for stuff I know I need.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:31 pmWhat about The Pro's Closet? I think you can sell it to them? There may be more places like that for used high end good condition bikes.
Hadn’t heard of it, but seems promising. I put in a submission, so we’ll see if/what they offer. :popcorn:
:well: ?? :popcorn:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

So... What's the best way to try this whole trail riding thing which is supposed to be better than driving cars? I know some trails must exist in the area, but don't own a bike or know anyone locally who does. Places I'd prefer NOT to ride: Roads, rivers, rocks. I'm out of shape and have the short legs of a 5'7" dude despite being 5'10" in height. Yeah, coogles has a bike for sale for short legged folks but I don't have $3k to blow on something that I might only use 3 times. :csb: :whocares: :notsure:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:32 pm So... What's the best way to try this whole trail riding thing which is supposed to be better than driving cars? I know some trails must exist in the area, but don't own a bike or know anyone locally who does. Places I'd prefer NOT to ride: Roads, rivers, rocks. I'm out of shape and have the short legs of a 5'7" dude despite being 5'10" in height. Yeah, coogles has a bike for sale for short legged folks but I don't have $3k to blow on something that I might only use 3 times. :csb: :whocares: :notsure:
https://www.trailforks.com/region/corni ... =-77.14529
There's an app too and it works offline if you cache the area so you can take a map "with you" when you ride.

Looks like Erwin Wildlife Management Area has trails. Really close to you. Looks like you have a bunch of options in a 1 hr drive.

As far as the bike, I'm not sure. You could try calling local shops and see if they have a rental or "demo" program. Expect to pay about $100 a day to "demo" a bike. A "rental" is probably cheaper like $50-70 a day and maybe a weekly rate that is less. But a decent way to see if you want to get into it or not. "Rental" = meh bike, "Demo" is usually the big dick $6k+ bike.

Babcocks Bike Shop in Endicott would be worth a call.
Wheels Unlimited in Bath
There are a few in Elmira that may work
Or maybe Chenango Point Cycles in Binghamton

Check craigslist if you want to buy a bike to try it out. But there's not much in Corning itself. Would be worth a drive to get something.
https://ithaca.craigslist.org/bik/d/bro ... 86858.html
https://elmira.craigslist.org/bik/d/201 ... 58119.html
https://rochester.craigslist.org/bik/d/ ... 06531.html
https://rochester.craigslist.org/bik/d/ ... 57242.html

New bikes are going to be a lot more.

Please please do not ride MTB without a helmet. You hit your head way more on the mountain bike than you do cruising around a neighborhood.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:53 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:14 pm

They offered $2,1xx cash, $2,4xx on trade. I was really hoping to get at least $2,500 out of the thing and I let the offer expire. Probably shouldn’t have, I’ve had exactly zero real interest from anyone who actually wants to buy the bike. I’m headed out on vacation but might resubmit when I get back just to be done with it.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:48 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:53 pm

They offered $2,1xx cash, $2,4xx on trade. I was really hoping to get at least $2,500 out of the thing and I let the offer expire. Probably shouldn’t have, I’ve had exactly zero real interest from anyone who actually wants to buy the bike. I’m headed out on vacation but might resubmit when I get back just to be done with it.
Hm. That's not great. But I guess interest from them is better than no interest at all. I can't sell my Cervelo for $700. I thought it would be a slam dunk at that price considering what else is on the market but no. All I get are inquires from :manuel: asking if I'll let it go for $500 cash.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:32 pm So... What's the best way to try this whole trail riding thing which is supposed to be better than driving cars? I know some trails must exist in the area, but don't own a bike or know anyone locally who does. Places I'd prefer NOT to ride: Roads, rivers, rocks. I'm out of shape and have the short legs of a 5'7" dude despite being 5'10" in height. Yeah, coogles has a bike for sale for short legged folks but I don't have $3k to blow on something that I might only use 3 times. :csb: :whocares: :notsure:
Find a local bike shop, see if they'll let you rent or demo a bike for a day.

Also, you're going to encounter some rocks on the trail. :doomed:
Some rocks is fine, I just don't want to do the bike equivalent of :jeep: rock crawling at 0.5 mph with 2 winches... Bunny hops were fun when I was 12, now I just wanna go fast without being run over by an F150 or getting speeding tickets.