Supplements

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Don't know if we ever had a definitive supplements thread on the old DFD, so here we go.

What do you take? What brands do you like?

I always have, and always will be an Animal fan. Unfortunately I feel that a lot of their product line is overpriced. Animal Pak, however, comes in at a somewhat reasonable cost for a multi-vitamin. You can get 44 packs on Amazon for $26. Just about a month and a half if you take one a day as recommended. In addition to regular vitamins, you get a solid dose of amino acids, anti-oxidants, a virile complex, and other goodies. I haven't been using it, or any multi-vitamin lately, but I know I need to be taking something, so I just ordered a can.

Pre workouts I like to change up and take time off between uses. Some of my favorites are Dust v2 Extreme by Blackstone Labs and AdreNOlyn Bulk by Blackmarket Labs. I'm a big fan of adding pump products to my preworkout, so I usually keep a bottle of BSN's Nitrix2.0 on hand and pop three of those with my preworkout. Definitely notice more vascularity and fuller pumps.

Creatine is a staple in my routine too. And it's dirt cheap. I buy 2.2lb bags of it from a bulk supplement company (Hard Rhino) on Amazon for $16. 5g/day every day that I lift. The 2.2lb (1kg) bag ends up lasting you 200 days at that dose. I either mix it in with my preworkout, or I'll add it to the aminos that I sip on while lifting.

Aminos, I like to get from Scivation. Their Xtend product is pretty straight forward, 2:1:1 ratio of the three BCAAs, some electrolytes, and some flavoring. Plenty of research showing that ingesting aminos while lift helps prevent catabolism, and you can get 90 servings for like $40-50 or something on Amazon depending on what flavor you get. I've been doing reading about including EAAs instead of just BCAAs so I may switch to an EAA product after this tub is gone based on more reading.

Protein: Whey is whey. Animal puts out some really tasty flavors, and I like that they include a digestive enzyme to help you break it down. Optimum nutrition has great flavors too. I don't currently take an actual protein supplement, since I'm trying to get most of my intake from solid meals. I do however take a mass gainer to get some quick carbs and protein in right after lifting. My go-to for that is Real Mass by Universal Nutrition (Animal's parent company).
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

5/7 post will read again
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I don't really do the supplement thing. I have some MetRx whey at home and Optimum Nutrition whey on the road that I enjoy and I'll have a few scoops a week as needed. Typically since I'm not home much and my roommates steal my food, I don't really have anything to eat here, so I'll just have it as a pre/post gym "snack", quick breakfast when I know I'll eat later, etc. When I'm traveling if I'm at a hotel that doesn't offer free breakfast, I'll usually just do a scoop of whey with some milk instead of paying $15 for a really unhealthy breakfast.

I've been thinking about trying creatine out again :doe: . I never really found it made me stronger or anything, but it does seem to give a nice pumped up look. I'm trying to gain some strength over the next few months and eating a solid amount, so maybe it could help a little.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote:I don't really do the supplement thing. I have some MetRx whey at home and Optimum Nutrition whey on the road that I enjoy and I'll have a few scoops a week as needed. Typically since I'm not home much and my roommates steal my food, I don't really have anything to eat here, so I'll just have it as a pre/post gym "snack", quick breakfast when I know I'll eat later, etc. When I'm traveling if I'm at a hotel that doesn't offer free breakfast, I'll usually just do a scoop of whey with some milk instead of paying $15 for a really unhealthy breakfast.

I've been thinking about trying creatine out again :doe: . I never really found it made me stronger or anything, but it does seem to give a nice pumped up look. I'm trying to gain some strength over the next few months and eating a solid amount, so maybe it could help a little.
I think it'll help you out. The pumped up look is because it helps draw water into your muscle cells and volumizes them. You won't notice a huge spike in strength gains, but you should notice less fatigue during longer workouts since creatine is a phosphate and is used in converting ADP to ATP.

And at under $30/year, even a :scrooge: like you can't pass up on at least trying it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

balius wrote:
D Griff wrote:I don't really do the supplement thing. I have some MetRx whey at home and Optimum Nutrition whey on the road that I enjoy and I'll have a few scoops a week as needed. Typically since I'm not home much and my roommates steal my food, I don't really have anything to eat here, so I'll just have it as a pre/post gym "snack", quick breakfast when I know I'll eat later, etc. When I'm traveling if I'm at a hotel that doesn't offer free breakfast, I'll usually just do a scoop of whey with some milk instead of paying $15 for a really unhealthy breakfast.

I think it'll help you out. The pumped up look is because it helps draw water into your muscle cells and volumizes them. You won't notice a huge spike in strength gains, but you should notice less fatigue during longer workouts since creatine is a phosphate and is used in converting ADP to ATP.

And at under $30/year, even a :scrooge: like you can't pass up on at least trying it.
Yeah, I've taken it before and it was nice for a pump/looking more vascular. I think I actually have some pills still, but I'm not really worried about the cost.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

I'm too cheap to buy that stuff.
:therapist:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I'm just a whey and creatine guy. 5g's of creatine, Bulk Supplements off Amazon, in my morning shake with a scoop of MetRx Natural whey.

I've got some BCAAs I should try.
Apex

BTW balius, fitting avatar. 5/7
lagunasecaballs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: All the E46 M3s

Creatine? No thanks. I don't do steroids.

:trollface:
Apex

lagunasecaballs wrote:Creatine? No thanks. I don't do steroids.

:trollface:
:lolol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

balius wrote:Don't know if we ever had a definitive supplements thread on the old DFD, so here we go.

I've become a big fan of Blue Star products.

Pre-workout I take P.P.K. and Status, during I do AminoFast, and after I do a Vegan protein from Exos Performance since I'm allergic to casein plus the regular creatine mono from Blue Star.

The biggest boost for me has been Status - the stuff is amazing. I have an autoimmune disease that I've managed to get into remission, but the stresses it's put on my body lowered my natural test levels like crazy. At 28 I had the test levels of a ~60 year old man, not fun. I haven't had my test levels checked again, but my voice dropped back down, I lost body fat, gained 5ish pounds even while losing body fat and I've had energy and a drive like I haven't had in 10 years (now 30). It probably wouldn't help most people as much as it does me, but this stuff has literally changed my life.
SAWCE

coogles wrote:
balius wrote:Don't know if we ever had a definitive supplements thread on the old DFD, so here we go.

I've become a big fan of Blue Star products.

Pre-workout I take P.P.K. and Status, during I do AminoFast, and after I do a Vegan protein from Exos Performance since I'm allergic to casein plus the regular creatine mono from Blue Star.

The biggest boost for me has been Status - the stuff is amazing. I have an autoimmune disease that I've managed to get into remission, but the stresses it's put on my body lowered my natural test levels like crazy. At 28 I had the test levels of a ~60 year old man, not fun. I haven't had my test levels checked again, but my voice dropped back down, I lost body fat, gained 5ish pounds even while losing body fat and I've had energy and a drive like I haven't had in 10 years (now 30). It probably wouldn't help most people as much as it does me, but this stuff has literally changed my life.
Nice man! That's awesome you had such good results. I'll have to look into Blue Star since I've never heard of them. Guessing Status is a natural test booster?
SAWCE

Apex wrote:BTW balius, fitting avatar. 5/7
Danke
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

balius wrote:Nice man! That's awesome you had such good results. I'll have to look into Blue Star since I've never heard of them. Guessing Status is a natural test booster?
Yessir. Basically an estrogen blocker and also contains an herb that is supposed to suppress the stress hormones the body creates. Mine creates a shit-ton of them, which leaves less room for production of testosterone.

https://www.bluestarnutraceuticals.com/products/status
SAWCE

coogles wrote:
balius wrote:Nice man! That's awesome you had such good results. I'll have to look into Blue Star since I've never heard of them. Guessing Status is a natural test booster?
Yessir. Basically an estrogen blocker and also contains an herb that is supposed to suppress the stress hormones the body creates. Mine creates a shit-ton of them, which leaves less room for production of testosterone.

https://www.bluestarnutraceuticals.com/products/status
Looks solid. As I was reading their description of how it works I was wondering if I'd see Ashwaganda root in the ingredient list, so I was excited to see that itat the KM-66 or whatever is. Lots of good research around Ashwaganda root, and I've been thinking about adding it in to my daily supplementation.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

I've used creatine and pre-workout before, but not anymore. Now, it's just whey. I switched to myProtein after hearing good things about them. I bought an 11 lb bag of vanilla, for, IIRC (I could be wrong though), ~$90. Pretty reasonable for what I got. I stopped the pre-workout and just bring a whey/coffee shake before my workouts.
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

Ordered Animal Fury when it was released Friday, and it showed up Saturday morning at 10AM ready for me to use for that day's session.

Really solid pre-workout. Super basic, but since it doesn't have a lot of random stuff, it's actually dosed nicely for the stuff it has. 5g of BCAA, 6g Citrulline Malate, 2g Beta-Alanine, 1g L-Tyrosine, and 350mg of caffeine. 350mg of caffeine is a shit ton, but if you don't do any other caffeine the rest of the day it shouldn't be an issue. Even with that much caffeine, I didn't get jittery at all, just good clean energy and focus.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Jaxper wrote:I've used creatine and pre-workout before, but not anymore. Now, it's just whey. I switched to myProtein after hearing good things about them. I bought an 11 lb bag of vanilla, for, IIRC (I could be wrong though), ~$90. Pretty reasonable for what I got. I stopped the pre-workout and just bring a whey/coffee shake before my workouts.
Iced coffee with whey is tasty. I have that sometimes, usually I just have a cup of coffee before the gym in the morning.

I took some creatine and BCAA this morning, had them in the house from a year or two ago. I figure I may as well take this stuff I have and see if it makes any difference.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/11/1 ... rcise.html

Im going to suppliment with some balloons.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/11/1 ... rcise.html

Im going to suppliment with some balloons.
What could happen?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Littleazn248
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: Mk6 Turbo Yaris/F30 335i

I'm about to start Legion Pulse and Phoenix.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Nordic Naturals fish oil.
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

None of the stuff I take daily is relevant to workouts and I wish I understood more about what the heck was going on in here. I take fish oil, a probiotic, and try to remember to take vit C and D daily, since I've been low on those on blood work before. A coworker of mine has had his daughter on a probiotic for a while and it's slowly been undoing her food allergies. That's not why I'm taking it, but boy would that be an awesome result.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:27 am Nordic Naturals fish oil.
Thanks
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

stripethree wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:31 am None of the stuff I take daily is relevant to workouts and I wish I understood more about what the heck was going on in here. I take fish oil, a probiotic, and try to remember to take vit C and D daily, since I've been low on those on blood work before. A coworker of mine has had his daughter on a probiotic for a while and it's slowly been undoing her food allergies. That's not why I'm taking it, but boy would that be an awesome result.
Interesting. Need to try that. I drink kefir when I think about it