The Official Ski/Broboarder Thread

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Its been 5 years since I have been in any powder for sport of even a snowball.

I really REALLY want to get out skiing this year. My issue is the lack of mountains in South Carolina and no gear.

I would be willing to drive a few hours to the mountains. But my issue so far is finding one with more than like 6 slopes.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I own skis. They're Salomon alpine skis. Fast.
Johnny_P

Shouldn't this be in the Gym forum?
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote:I love skiing.
You're close to some decent PA stuff up there. Camelback and Elk. I really enjoy trips to Elk Mountain because you can make it a day thing.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: You're close to some decent PA stuff up there. Camelback and Elk. I really enjoy trips to Elk Mountain because you can make it a day thing.
I'm about 15 minutes from bear Creek and 40ish from Blue.

Good times.

Assuming my boy gets his legs solid under him this year, I'm going to try and at least get him standing in skis in the flat.
Last time I went Blue was all ice. So I kind of avoid it :sad:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Well this is timely, I just got back from Keystone, CO last night. Tons of snow the Th/Fr/Sat I skied, and aside from the huge crowds on Saturday combined with the limited number of runs that were open this early in the season, it was a perfect few days of skiing.

First on the slopes in 11 years and didn't do too damn bad. Took a full day of lessons on Thursday and was whipping down the learning hill by the end of the day. My instructor said anyone who's played hockey usually picks up skiing pretty quickly and that was true for me, thankfully. Ditched the instructor for the next two days, did a couple runs down the long green and then tried a couple blues. Started off well, but as I got tired I got sloppy and had quite a few spills in the afternoon. Unfortunately a couple were due to my bindings being too loose for the steeper stuff and the powder on one of the runs, so on day 3 I got a longer & stiffer ski with a stronger binding setup and did much better. Only had 2 falls the whole day in just over 15,000 feet.

We're planning another trip in Feb, cannot wait to get back. :fuckyeah:

Also ready to move to Colorado. Skiing in the winter, hiking, climbing, & MTB riding in the summer. ALL the things to do. :fuckyeah: :fuckyeah: :fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Since we got snow so early in the season, I'm really hoping to get some time on the slopes. We have snowboards, I haven't been in years, Infamous has never.

I love it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

But we may do some cross country skiing instead.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote:But we may do some cross country skiing instead.
Cross country. :disgust:
Barnes93cb

Instructor? I went once in January of 2012 with a friend as my "instructor" and never since. Im not planning to use an instructor this time either.

Is that a bad idea?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote:
[user not found] wrote: I'm about 15 minutes from bear Creek and 40ish from Blue.

Good times.

Assuming my boy gets his legs solid under him this year, I'm going to try and at least get him standing in skis in the flat.
Last time I went Blue was all ice. So I kind of avoid it :sad:
That's just typical conditions for the area.

But as [user not found] said, much fast.

I am so hoping to get out a couple times this season.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Last time I went Blue was all ice. So I kind of avoid it :sad:
That's just typical conditions for the area.

But as [user not found] said, much fast.

I am so hoping to get out a couple times this season.
I don't like ice because I lose control of my speed and/or wash out on turns :sad:
I'm not the best skier.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote:
Detroit wrote:But we may do some cross country skiing instead.
Cross country. :disgust:
Yea, :iono: Never done it, so it's worth a shot.
Barnes93cb

Booking a ski day with my brother. Looking forward to going.

Looks like we will be hitting up Wisp on the 23rd. I cant beat $69 for all day skiing and rental. Im going to see if I can :scrooge: and get a military discount on top. I was hoping for a lodge deal and stay the night. Couldnt find any for the holiday weekend that were resonable. It looks like we might just drive the 4 hours back home after.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

I got in a few days in November before leaving for work. I go back home to Colorado the 23rd and I'll get a couple days in before I leave again after New Years.

As far as CO resorts I very much dislike Keystone. One of the only resorts without easy access to skiing bowls. There you have to pay extra to get a ride on a snowcat to ski a bowl.

I do the Rocky Mountain Super Pass Plus, so I have Eldora, Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Steamboat, and Crested Butte.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

So far the season here is off to a great start! Skied the last 5 days. Hunter Sunday, Killington Mon/Tues and Blue the last two nights! Woo hop!
Barnes93cb

I couldnt imagine being able to ski 5 times a year. Let alone 5 times a week. I really hope I move to Denver next year.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Dbest wrote:I got in a few days in November before leaving for work. I go back home to Colorado the 23rd and I'll get a couple days in before I leave again after New Years.

As far as CO resorts I very much dislike Keystone. One of the only resorts without easy access to skiing bowls. There you have to pay extra to get a ride on a snowcat to ski a bowl.

I do the Rocky Mountain Super Pass Plus, so I have Eldora, Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Steamboat, and Crested Butte.
First time skiing in 11 years, there was plenty for me to do there.

:wtf: is a ski bowl?
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

When you look at a mountain in the distance along the top edge your see a concave area. Like someone took an ice cream scoop to a clay sculpture of a mountains. Those are bowls. High alpine, natural terain, natural obsticales, never groomed, never maintained, and the steeper the better.
Barnes93cb

[user not found] wrote:
Barnes93cb wrote:Booking a ski day with my brother. Looking forward to going.

Looks like we will be hitting up Wisp on the 23rd. I cant beat $69 for all day skiing and rental. Im going to see if I can :scrooge: and get a military discount on top. I was hoping for a lodge deal and stay the night. Couldnt find any for the holiday weekend that were resonable. It looks like we might just drive the 4 hours back home after.
An instructor would be useful at Wisp. That's a tough mountain in part.s
I guess ill buy the instructor package. Ive been to wisp once 5 years ago. It was a blast with friends. But thats also my only time on skis.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I only have a cell phone but here

Montezuma Bowl at A-Basin
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

My wife sat out all last season while preggers, yesterday we went to Copper and she got back on skis for the first time. It was an easy day, no bowls, only 1 mogul run, nothing real difficult just a get your legs back kinda day. She's a great skier in general but she started off a bit shaky compared to her normal self. It took a couple runs to knock the rust off, by the end of the day she was cruising along great. Her stance is still a bit wider than normal and she hasn't worked up the confidence or high speeds again yet but all in all fantastic day. Blue bird skies, great surface conditions, no ice, no crud, no chattering skis while trying to grab an edge. We're going to hit the slopes again tomorrow. Probably Winter Park.

On a side note I got to try out my new Zeal Z3 goggles. They have a really really high quality photochromatic lens that self tints as needed and it has build in GPS with a heads up display. Pretty cool.

Here's the deets from the day https://engage.reconinstruments.com/trips/291227
Time on the mountain: 2 hours and 50 minutes
Lifts Up: 8
Max. Elevation: 13,127'
Min. Elevation: 9,711'
Total Vertical Skied: 13,575'
Distance Covered: 22.3 Miles
Max Speed: 57.9 mph

Wifey

Wifey

I love Copper
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Dbest wrote:I only have a cell phone but here

Montezuma Bowl at A-Basin
Last March I hopped into Montezuma somewhere near Schauffler. I recall being amazed at the scenery while hiking up. Breathtaking.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

While there is no such thing as a bad day on the mountain yesterday left a lot to be desired. Official snow stake at WP was 2" of fresh, MJ was actually closer to 5"-6" which was great. Fresh snow, good snow, blue skies, beautiful snow covered pines, everything just kinda sparkled as you went by from the beaming sunlight reflecting off the fresh snow flakes. Absolutely gorgeous day.... with crazy lift lines and jamb packed slopes. It was a beautiful disaster.

Here's the deets from the day https://engage.reconinstruments.com/trips/292512
Time on the mountain: 2 hours and 54 minutes
Lifts Up: 7
Max. Elevation: 13,1157'
Min. Elevation: 10,502'
Total Vertical Skied: 7,714 '
Distance Covered: 16.5 Miles
Max Speed: 41 mph

Apex