DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:28 am :word:

Thanks bro.

I think my new schedule will be something like 10-7 so afternoon workouts ain't happening. I'm also just a morning person and don't really want to fuck with it after work.
Yeah going in at 10 should give you plenty of time to wake up and eat before lifting, as long as you aren't a crazy nightowl and staying up forever after work. If I were you my day would look like:
6am wake up breakfast/meal 1
7-830am work
9am post workout shake/meal 2
3pm lunch break/meal 3
8pm dinner/meal 4

Easy way to split the protein up into your 50g at a time. Have a normal meal at work consisting of another 6-8oz of another leanish protein, then dinner with Allison if it's not too late for her when you get home. None of your meals will be huge, but you should see some good strength gainz with the more structured eating and higher protein than you've been doing.

That cup of rice before the gym will give you 45g of carbs, then do another cup after with a banana will give you another 70ish.. so there's 115 of your 390 for the day. You could thow a banana before the gym too, or some berries with either of the meals to get more carbs. If you have trouble hitting that many carbs during the day, or just want to increase your peri-workout carbs, add a scoop of gatorade powder to the water you'll drink in the gym, easy extra 35g of carbs or so, and it'll keep your endurance in there up. It's a pretty easy plan to follow.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

SAWCE wrote:If you lift in the morning, and you're going to do cardio with it, definitely do the cardio after lifting and not before.

Quick meal before lifting in the morning can be that cup of white rice again (it digests really quickly for most people, so as long as you can wake up and eat that like half an hour before you go, you shouldn't notice any discomfort from it), then I'd swap the chicken breast for a few hard boiled eggs. You won't get as much protein this way, but it'll be much lighter and quicker to digest, so should give you energy for the gym without weighing you down.
What’s the benefit to cardio after lifting vs vice versa?

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:46 am
SAWCE wrote:If you lift in the morning, and you're going to do cardio with it, definitely do the cardio after lifting and not before.

Quick meal before lifting in the morning can be that cup of white rice again (it digests really quickly for most people, so as long as you can wake up and eat that like half an hour before you go, you shouldn't notice any discomfort from it), then I'd swap the chicken breast for a few hard boiled eggs. You won't get as much protein this way, but it'll be much lighter and quicker to digest, so should give you energy for the gym without weighing you down.
What’s the benefit to cardio after lifting vs vice versa?

Sent from the Beer Depository
If you're just in the gym to burn calories for the sake of burning calories, nothing. But if you're trying to build strength or size, doing that cardio before is going to tap into your stored glycogen and electrolites which are needed to maximize muscle contractions and exert a maximal force on the weights. You'll lift less weight than you could have if you had lifted first and done the cardio after.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote:
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:28 am :word:

Thanks bro.

I think my new schedule will be something like 10-7 so afternoon workouts ain't happening. I'm also just a morning person and don't really want to fuck with it after work.
Yeah going in at 10 should give you plenty of time to wake up and eat before lifting, as long as you aren't a crazy nightowl and staying up forever after work. If I were you my day would look like:
7-830am work
3pm lunch break/meal 3
8pm dinner/meal 4

Easy way to split the protein up into your 50g at a time. Have a normal meal at work consisting of another 6-8oz of another leanish protein, then dinner with Allison if it's not too late for her when you get home. None of your meals will be huge, but you should see some good strength gainz with the more structured eating and higher protein than you've been doing.

That cup of rice before the gym will give you 45g of carbs, then do another cup after with a banana will give you another 70ish.. so there's 115 of your 390 for the day. You could thow a banana before the gym too, or some berries with either of the meals to get more carbs. If you have trouble hitting that many carbs during the day, or just want to increase your peri-workout carbs, add a scoop of gatorade powder to the water you'll drink in the gym, easy extra 35g of carbs or so, and it'll keep your endurance in there up. It's a pretty easy plan to follow.
Yep, that's pretty much what I'll be doing. I think I'll actually enjoy the hours.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:48 pm
SAWCE wrote:
7-830am work
3pm lunch break/meal 3
8pm dinner/meal 4

Yep, that's pretty much what I'll be doing. I think I'll actually enjoy the hours.
In4 BROkyogriff.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

the broken ankle reset might be doing things. I still need to properly get into 531 and start the program, but...

I did 205 for three sets of 5 on the bench press. last rep of last set was ugly but got it up. So, gainz.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:49 pm the broken ankle reset might be doing things. I still need to properly get into 531 and start the program, but...

I did 205 for three sets of 5 on the bench press. last rep of last set was ugly but got it up. So, gainz.
Nice man. Hope the 531 stuff made more sense after I emailed you. Here's an article about the program from the author. I bought his book once years ago, but do know where it is any more.. https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-h ... e-strength
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

the broken ankle is really cramping the style with working out.

Seated press is hard AF, not sure i can compare with standing #'s.

Pull Ups not going well because doing all the upper body moves back to back allows for no recovery. Expected, but still trying. doing negatives so im sure its helping.

But I really think once i'm back on the foot i'll do one more week on old program and move on to an intermediate program, its time. I did my bench presses first today at 205 3x5 and with 5 days of rest they were easier than on the 27th IMHO. The very last one was still a little but of a grind, but still got it. 205 is a PR using 'good' form.

i did finish both bar moves today with sets of 10 at a lower weight. 135 for 10 on BP, bar only on seated OHP. pull ups, i just did negatives till i couldn't hold on anymore.

Anyway, looking forward to being cleared from doc so i can squat again.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:00 pm the broken ankle is really cramping the style with working out.

Pull Ups not going well because doing all the upper body moves back to back allows for no recovery. Expected, but still trying. doing negatives so im sure its helping.

But I really think once i'm back on the foot i'll do one more week on old program and move on to an intermediate program, its time. I did my bench presses first today at 205 3x5 and with 5 days of rest they were easier than on the 27th IMHO. The very last one was still a little but of a grind, but still got it. 205 is a PR using 'good' form.

i did finish both bar moves today with sets of 10 at a lower weight. 135 for 10 on BP, bar only on seated OHP. pull ups, i just did negatives till i couldn't hold on anymore.

Good job keeping on it and hitting upper body still while it heals. Must not be too bad of a break if you're looking to get cleared somewhat soon?
SAWCE

I'm supposed to deadlift tonight, but my hamstrings are shot from having hit compound leg lifts (hack squat, leg press, smith machine front squat, walking lunges) on Saturday, and then doing a full hamstring day on Sunday (laying curl warm up, stiff legged deads, seated curls, stanging curls, laying curls).

Gonna be fun to push through that pain. I think two weeks ago I hit 355x 10, 10, 8, 7, so looking for 10, 10, 10, then 8 or 9 on my last set. If I get that I'll bump up to 365 next time.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:09 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:00 pm the broken ankle is really cramping the style with working out.

Good job keeping on it and hitting upper body still while it heals. Must not be too bad of a break if you're looking to get cleared somewhat soon?
yea, it was a very smol break.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

355x 10, 10, 10, 8 for deadlifts tonight. Three reps more than last time. Gonna move up to 365 next time.
SAWCE

Moved up to 365 for deads. 7,8,6,6. Not great, not terrible. Belt was killing my sunburn. I’ll for sure do better in two weeks when I hit them again.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote:Moved up to 365 for deads. 7,8,6,6. Not great, not terrible. Belt was killing my sunburn. I’ll for sure do better in two weeks when I hit them again.
Dat bed burn, doe. :hue:

I also DL yesterday, got 305X6 on my AMRAP set. Not all that impressive but my first time dead lifting over 300 in more than a year and post fucking up my back, which is kind of exciting.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:57 pm
SAWCE wrote:Moved up to 365 for deads. 7,8,6,6. Not great, not terrible. Belt was killing my sunburn. I’ll for sure do better in two weeks when I hit them again.
Dat bed burn, doe. :hue:

I also DL yesterday, got 305X6 on my AMRAP set. Not all that impressive but my first time dead lifting over 300 in more than a year and post fucking up my back, which is kind of exciting.

Nice dude. Since it was your first time over 300 it must have been your 1+ AMRAP? 6 reps is solid for that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah, that's always how it is for me, I'm good at high volume, suck at high weight, so my calculated 1RM is always way off. Like I could probably pull 225 20 times...

SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:21 pm Yeah, that's always how it is for me, I'm good at high volume, suck at high weight, so my calculated 1RM is always way off. Like I could probably pull 225 20 times...

Those higher reps are better for hypertrophy anyways. You aren't trying to compete in powerlifting, so stay high rep and take those lighter weights to failure and just gain some size.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:21 pm Yeah, that's always how it is for me, I'm good at high volume, suck at high weight, so my calculated 1RM is always way off. Like I could probably pull 225 20 times...

Those higher reps are better for hypertrophy anyways. You aren't trying to compete in powerlifting, so stay high rep and take those lighter weights to failure and just gain some size.
:wrong:
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:36 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:34 pm

:howdareu:
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:39 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:36 pm

:hue:
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:42 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:39 pm

:massles:
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:58 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:42 pm

:massles:
:dat: :fuckyeah:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

holy crap...first time squatting in a month....didn't even get to do 205 for reps. inside hip muscles are not happy.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:03 pm holy crap...first time squatting in a month....didn't even get to do 205 for reps. inside hip muscles are not happy.
Yeah dude, coming back after an injury like that sucks. Look up the Defranco Agile 8.. there are a few moves in there that open your hips up pretty good that have really helped me. The fire hydrants specifically.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

today went better.

Almost got all my presses at 115, missed the last rep and was rewarded with a strained trap muscle. hope its minor and heals quick.

did squats at 225 for reps, didn't feel terrible, don't feel terrible a few hours after. will bump to 255 or so next session; hope to be back to 315 sooner vs later.

Did some pullups. 5 with purple band, 2 sets of 5 with green.
brain go brrrrrr