DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Really good workouts Friday and Saturday. So nice having my BIL in town to lift with. Friday morning a few hours after I picked him up from the airport we did my normal arm routine. We both napped, ate, watched a movie, and just chilled for a while before getting ready to go back and I followed him through a chest/back superset workout. Great pump and done in like 30-45 minutes.

4 rounds of incline db flye superset with db rows.
4 rounds of incline db press superset with pull-ups.
3 sets of double drop sets on close grip pull downs.
4 rounds of cable flyes.

Huge pump, pouring sweat, got authorized for cheat meal for hitting two workouts that day, so went to the Padres vs. Cubs game and crushed a huge thing of tri-tip nachos.

The next morning we went back to World Gym for legs. Did my full routine, but I changed my squats to go heavy with him.
My plan was to try 315 for 4 sets of 6. Got my first set, then he moved up to 335, so I did another set of 6 with that. Threw 365 on next, and hit 3 reps. Moved from there to 405. I'd tried it and failed twice before. Got it this time :fuckyeah: I'll see if I can post the IG video on here for those not on there.
SAWCE

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:fuckyeah:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:56 am
most impressive
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Thanks guys. Really happy with the depth I hit on it.
SAWCE

Good chest workout last night. Got in a little late, so I had to wait for this circuit group to get off the smith machine, but once I got on it was good.

Moved that up to 235, hit 10, 9.5 (racked where it was then took a few breaths and unracked to push the rest of the way up), 6, 6 +2+2 (rest pauses)
70lb dumbbell presses. Lost a few reps there from the last time, but I was okay with that since I'd moved up on incline press and really gave that my all.
Finished all my dumbbell incline flyes with 40lb dumbbells. 3 sets of 12.
Finished my machine flyes with 120lbs. 3 sets of 12, and was able to squeeze out an extra rep to really push to failure.
Quick ab workout after that. Pump in my chest was unreal. Looked like I had tits.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

I got in three good workouts last week finally. Nothing this week yet, Mondays are basically impossible. Normally Tuesday/thurs/Friday are good, but the kiddos actually stayed asleep last night and I was running such a sleep deficit that I decided it was more beneficial to snag an extra hour of sleep than go to the gym.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

6th day (2 weeks) of 255 squats...that didn't feel too terrible. 2nd day of deads at 265, 2nd day of press at 105.
The deads felt pretty ok, the press was definitely easier than last time.

I guess I'll add 10 lbs to the squat & dead and 5 lb to the press next workout....
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:32 pm 6th day (2 weeks) of 255 squats...that didn't feel too terrible. 2nd day of deads at 265, 2nd day of press at 105.

I guess I'll add 10 lbs to the squat & dead and 5 lb to the press next workout....
I know injury is a concern, especially as we age, but maybe 5x5 isn't working as well for you because you let yourself stay at a weight even after getting all 5x5 or 3x5, whichever you're doing. Just a thought. Like 'pecs pointed out, I've never truly run a routine like this, so I'm not super educated in how it works.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

8 plates is always fucking heroic on any lift. Good job B
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:45 pm 8 plates is always fucking heroic on any lift. Good job B
Thanks!
SAWCE

I think I've talked about my coworker Doug before... semi-pro bowler, Microsoft Excel guru, avid morning surfer, knows every stat about every sport, etc... he'd gotten into lifting recently, and is claiming just stupid numbers already. He'd lifted before this, but was telling me about how he only puts 2 plates on each side of the leg press machine, because "he doesn't need his legs to be any bigger" (he's a fat guy, although he's been dropping weight lately). So a month or so ago he said he was gonna try 405lb squat. I told him to film it, (because I don't believe him) becuase "everyone get's their first 405 on tape". He comes in the next week claiming to have hit it, but didn't get it on camera. My thought is that he's either blatantly lying, or he isn't hitting anything close to actual depth.

So yesterday another coworker and I are talking about me finally hitting 405, and Doug chimes in that he hit 465lbs... for two reps on Saturday :yeahokay: Funny part is that he said the guy he was lifting with told him how cool that was and asked what his max is, and Doug told him that before that day, his max was 385.. :bruh: I thought you hit 405 before? Dude is all over the place. It's hilarious to listen to.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:45 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:32 pm 6th day (2 weeks) of 255 squats...that didn't feel too terrible. 2nd day of deads at 265, 2nd day of press at 105.

I know injury is a concern, especially as we age, but maybe 5x5 isn't working as well for you because you let yourself stay at a weight even after getting all 5x5 or 3x5, whichever you're doing. Just a thought. Like 'pecs pointed out, I've never truly run a routine like this, so I'm not super educated in how it works.
Well I thought the program was to add weight every session that you keep good form, but i know my form was not ok until today's lifts. If you fail at a weight that you needed to bust yourself down to the previous weight.

soo.....that's what I'm trin'
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:43 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Well I thought the program was to add weight every session that you keep good form, but i know my form was not ok until today's lifts. If you fail at a weight that you needed to bust yourself down to the previous weight.

Gotcha. The form thing makes sense. I was interpreting what you were saying before that the weight just felt heavy so you didn’t want to go ups
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:05 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Gotcha. The form thing makes sense. I was interpreting what you were saying before that the weight just felt heavy so you didn’t want to go ups
Yea, just trying to be honest about dat form and depth. I don't want to be your 8 plates after two months guy :lol:
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:30 pm

Yea, just trying to be honest about dat form and depth. I don't want to be your 8 plates after two months guy :lol:
:word:

He's talked about hitting a weekend session together some time. I'll have to take him up on that one day just to see what's actually going on with his lifts.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Post a vid sometime :fax:
SAWCE

:fax: still liking lifting at the home gym? Miss going to an actual gym at all?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:34 pm

I'd have to put on legit gym shorts :disgust:
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:49 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:34 pm

Lifting naked now? :impressive:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:52 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:49 pm

tighty work out pants that the general public would find :gay:
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:08 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:52 pm

tighty work out pants that the general public would find :gay:
General public? No. This. Is. DFD!

I'm pretty used to seeing bodybuilders wearing them in all their IG videos, so I would have thought it was a totally normal video for you to post.
SAWCE

Back day yesterday. Nothing special about it or the weight I moved, but got a good pump.

25lb weighted pullups. Matched my reps from last week.
215lb barbell row. Felt heavy. Moved up from 205 I hit last week.
180lb pull downs. Matched reps, but felt a better contraction this time around.
90lb t-bar rows. Added weight, matched reps. Kept a nice controlled tempo. Will move up again next time.

Back is definitely my easiest body part to grow, and it's out-pacing everything else. They say shows are won from the back, so I'll take whatever growth back there that I can get. As long as I can add some size to my legs and arms between now and then I'll be pretty happy with how I look up on stage.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

I failed this morning, I was just so goddamn tired.

:therapist:
SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:16 pm I failed this morning, I was just so goddamn tired.

Start doing sets of 20 pushup and pullups every time one of the kids wakes you up.