DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Good back workout last night. Not looking forward to being 6-8 weeks deep in this diet and feeling the strength loss.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Royally effed up my back Tuesday morning.

Sidelined for now.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Calvinball wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:06 pm Royally effed up my back Tuesday morning.

Sidelined for now.

How?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Desertbreh wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:06 pm Royally effed up my back Tuesday morning.

Sidelined for now.

How?
Going for that good ol “just one more rep” with deads.

Bad strain, I’m thinking. My guess is I should’ve taken it easy after hours of power washing our deck over the weekend, where I did a lot of leaning forward/holding the nozzle extended out.

:therapist:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Calvinball wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:51 am
Desertbreh wrote:
How?
Going for that good ol “just one more rep” with deads.

Bad strain, I’m thinking. My guess is I should’ve taken it easy after hours of power washing our deck over the weekend, where I did a lot of leaning forward/holding the nozzle extended out.

Ah, that sucketh. Sorry my man.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

ok, im stalled on my bench presses with the Starting strength method. What do I do to get off this 3x5 @205 plateau.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:51 am ok, im stalled on my bench presses with the Starting strength method. What do I do to get off this 3x5 @205 plateau.
Add volume. Maybe on OHP days, add in some 3x10 bench reps at 165 or so.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:52 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:51 am ok, im stalled on my bench presses with the Starting strength method. What do I do to get off this 3x5 @205 plateau.
ok..... so its better to do some volume on non BP days? IE dont lift heavy then drop weight and immediately crank out reps?
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:55 am

ok..... so its better to do some volume on non BP days? IE dont lift heavy then drop weight and immediately crank out reps?
You could do drop sets like that on BP days, but I had some good results with adding in the lower weight, higher rep volume after getting my work sets in on OHP days.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:33 am

You could do drop sets like that on BP days, but I had some good results with adding in the lower weight, higher rep volume after getting my work sets in on OHP days.
Ok, I'll try that this week.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Where are you getting stuck Brad? Can't get the weight off your chest, or can't lock out the last part of the lift? If it's the lockout, strengthening your triceps will help that..
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:01 am Where are you getting stuck Brad? Can't get the weight off your chest, or can't lock out the last part of the lift? If it's the lockout, strengthening your triceps will help that..
I'll fail about halfway up the lift, like i'll start to get if off my chest and just stall about 1/2 way thought the bar path and have to set her down on the safeties.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:04 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:01 am Where are you getting stuck Brad? Can't get the weight off your chest, or can't lock out the last part of the lift? If it's the lockout, strengthening your triceps will help that..
I'll fail about halfway up the lift, like i'll start to get if off my chest and just stall about 1/2 way thought the bar path and have to set her down on the safeties.
Hmm.. yeah throw in more chest volume like 'Pecs said.. do it either after your heavy bench work or OHP work.. then on the other day, do some heavy (6-10 reps, 3-4 sets) close grip bench pressing to build up some triceps strength, then I'd follow both of those with some higher volume triceps work like skull crushers one day and overhead extensions (french press) the other day.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:18 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:04 am

Hmm.. yeah throw in more chest volume like 'Pecs said.. do it either after your heavy bench work or OHP work.. then on the other day, do some heavy (6-10 reps, 3-4 sets) close grip bench pressing to build up some triceps strength, then I'd follow both of those with some higher volume triceps work like skull crushers one day and overhead extensions (french press) the other day.
Cool deal, thanks.

I'd like to stick to the starting strength model for another month or so... i am seeing results. Like my shirts are getting too small...in a good way. Sleeves are slowly creeping up my arms lol
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:40 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:18 am

Cool deal, thanks.

I'd like to stick to the starting strength model for another month or so... i am seeing results. Like my shirts are getting too small...in a good way. Sleeves are slowly creeping up my arms lol
Have you just been doing 3x5 for bench, squat, dead, and ohp? Alternating bench and ohp while deadlifting and squatting every day?

If so, that's only phase 1 of the real starting strength program, and is only meant to be run for one month.. if you want to keep the progression going, I'd look into moving to phase 2.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:00 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:40 am

Cool deal, thanks.

Have you just been doing 3x5 for bench, squat, dead, and ohp? Alternating bench and ohp while deadlifting and squatting every day?

If so, that's only phase 1 of the real starting strength program, and is only meant to be run for one month.. if you want to keep the progression going, I'd look into moving to phase 2.
This is my program. 3x5 worksets, 5 minutes between sets. But on deadlifts only 1 set of 5. And im not a good boy about the pullups.... sometimes I skip them depending on time and hit them the next workout.

Week1:
Day 1 Day 2 Day 3
Squat Squat Squat
Bench Press Bench
Deadlift
Pullup

Week2:
Day 1 Day 2 Day 3
Squat Squat Squat
Press Bench Press
Power Clean Deadlift
pullup Pullup
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:07 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:00 pm

This is my program. 3x5 worksets, 5 minutes between sets. But on deadlifts only 1 set of 5. And im not a good boy about the pullups.... sometimes I skip them depending on time and hit them the next workout.

Week1:
Day 1 Day 2 Day 3
Squat Squat Squat
Bench Press Bench
Deadlift
Pullup

Week2:
Day 1 Day 2 Day 3
Squat Squat Squat
Press Bench Press
Power Clean Deadlift
pullup Pullup
Okay yeah adding in the power cleans and pull ups makes it closer to phase 2.. I'd look up the specifics of phase 2 and follow that to a T for 2 months, then do phase 3.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:10 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Week1:
Day 1 Day 2 Day 3
Squat Squat Squat
Bench Press Bench
Deadlift
Pullup

Week2:
Day 1 Day 2 Day 3
Squat Squat Squat
Press Bench Press
Power Clean Deadlift
pullup Pullup
Okay yeah adding in the power cleans and pull ups makes it closer to phase 2.. I'd look up the specifics of phase 2 and follow that to a T for 2 months, then do phase 3.
Where do you find the different phases? I'm following what the book said pretty much to a t. (except back extensions.... i don't have that machine in my home gym)
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:17 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:10 pm

Where do you find the different phases? I'm following what the book said pretty much to a t. (except back extensions.... i don't have that machine in my home gym)
https://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

Do you have the actual starting strength book from Mark Rippetoe? I was thinking about buying that after I'm done reading my current meathead book.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:22 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Do you have the actual starting strength book from Mark Rippetoe? I was thinking about buying that after I'm done reading my current meathead book.
I have the ebook, yes. I can share if you want.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:25 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:22 pm

Yeah I'll take a look if you don't mind sharing. Have my email?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:35 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:25 pm

Yeah I'll take a look if you don't mind sharing. Have my email?
i think, let me look
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

sent
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Thank you sir. Beats buying the paperback since it's like a $50 book now or something.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Yeah, I do it on the opposing days, so I do 531...

OHP day I follow it up with 5X10 bench.
Squat day I follow it up with 5X10 DL.
And vice versa.

I'm repeating week three of this cycle so my deload week will be next week before my triathalon. I ended up getting one more rep of OHP than last week today, so that was good. 125X4.