DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:33 pm Just tested my OHP to answer Desert’s question. 135x1 was a bitch. Shouldn’t have tested after my full shoulder routine. I’ll try again Monday or something before I start my chest day.
Yeah that doesn't really count.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:22 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:21 am

Good stuff man. What kind of protein did you end up picking up. Just remember to slightly cut back on your fat intake to make room for those protein calories if you're able to. Just 10g of fat pulled out will make enough room for about 20g of protein, and most are gonna give you 22-25g per scoop, plus a gram or two of carbs and maybe one of fat.
It's a chocolate whey isolate with minimal car. On brand I think?
Nice. ON makes decent stuff. I used it for years before Animal put out their first protein powder a few years back.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:32 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:33 pm Just tested my OHP to answer Desert’s question. 135x1 was a bitch. Shouldn’t have tested after my full shoulder routine. I’ll try again Monday or something before I start my chest day.
Yeah that doesn't really count.
Yeah man, it was a struggle lol. Maybe I'll go in on Sunday for 20 minutes and dick around with it to see what I can hit then when I'm fresh and not lifting anything else that day.
SAWCE

Couldn't OHP at Michelle's gym. It's like half a step up from a Planet Fitness. The closest thing to barbells there are is those "smith machines" there the bar can also move forward and backward instead of just up and down. Good enough for her to squat and do rack deads on, but I couldn't do a single one of my workouts in there.

Squats on Saturday were nice though. Stuck with the 395 and added a rep to every set. Gonna try to do the same this Saturday for 4x8x395, then the following weekend my BIL will be out here and we'll head up to Gold's Gym in Venice to lift legs before meeting the rest of my family at the beach. I'll probably try my sets with 315 that day since he naturally motivates me to push a bit harder.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:02 pm Couldn't OHP at Michelle's gym. It's like half a step up from a Planet Fitness. The closest thing to barbells there are is those "smith machines" there the bar can also move forward and backward instead of just up and down. Good enough for her to squat and do rack deads on, but I couldn't do a single one of my workouts in there.

Squats on Saturday were nice though. Stuck with the 395 and added a rep to every set. Gonna try to do the same this Saturday for 4x8x395, then the following weekend my BIL will be out here and we'll head up to Gold's Gym in Venice to lift legs before meeting the rest of my family at the beach. I'll probably try my sets with 315 that day since he naturally motivates me to push a bit harder.
Go on.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:05 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:02 pm Couldn't OHP at Michelle's gym. It's like half a step up from a Planet Fitness. The closest thing to barbells there are is those "smith machines" there the bar can also move forward and backward instead of just up and down. Good enough for her to squat and do rack deads on, but I couldn't do a single one of my workouts in there.

Go on.
Crunch fitness. We're currently talking about this in OT. Feel free to join the discussion.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Having a good week so far. Did my third day of squats at 245 and they felt pretty ok compared to the first day.
Pressed 95 lbs
did deadlifts at 255 again, this time without getting lightheaded and passing the f00k out
Did some chin ups with the rubber bands.

So, like progress and shit man.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Another really good arm workout in the downstairs gym at work.

Added 5lbs to bb curl and got all my reps, but gonna stay there another week.
Finished all my reps, plus a few extra on on the last set of db curl.
Same story for hammer curl.

Added 3 reps accros my 4 sets of close grip bench after moving up to a new weight last week.
Lost a few reps on floor skull crushers, but my triceps were fried from the extra effort on CGB.
Added 5lbs and got all my reps plus some bonus ones on the last set of cable triceps extensions.

The pump is real.
SAWCE

Okay leg day on Saturday. Added a rep to every squat set and hack squat set. So ended up with 4 sets of 8 reps @ 295 on squats, and 3 sets of 8 reps with 290lbs loaded onto the hack squat machine.. no idead how much the sled weighs. Moved on to leg press, and it just wasn't feeling right. Got 9 reps on my first 2 sets, then only 3 on my last one. Hit my seated curls after that, but got into the gym a little late and did't have time to hit my single leg curls or my lunges. Decent workout over all, but wish I'd had another 10 minutes.

Gonna go up to The Mecca, Gold's Gym in Venice Beach, on Saturday with my BIL out visiting from Texas and I'll load up 315 for my squat sets there.
SAWCE

Couldn't use the smith machine yesterday. Sucked, but was cool to see the comparison between that last week, and a free barbell yesterday for my incline bench work.

Last week I hit 10, 10, 10, 10+2 (rest pause) with two plates on each side of the smith. I have no idea how much the bars weigh to start. Probably not 45lbs.
Yesterday I hit 5, 4, 4, 5+1(spotted on the last rep) with two plates on a barbell. Full 225. Felt so, so much heavier than on the smith.Extra weight of the bar, plus having to balance/stabilize.

Rest of the workout was good. Hit a flat hammer strength bench press after that instead of dumbbells, then cable flyes, and machine flyes. Added weight or reps to everything other than the incline press.
SAWCE

Brad or Dirk end up buying anything from IronTanks during that EoFY sale?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:14 pm Brad or Dirk end up buying anything from IronTanks during that EoFY sale?
No but I should have those are great belts. Will get around to it one of these sales.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:29 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:14 pm Brad or Dirk end up buying anything from IronTanks during that EoFY sale?
No but I should have those are great belts. Will get around to it one of these sales.
:disappoint:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

no. I have tiny motorbike parts to buy.

Also I think i need to work on my form more before i go to a belt. And, I'm honestly concerned with sizing..... i'm getting noticeably thinner so i don't want to go :waxer: on a nice belt just to shrink out of in a year.

i'll probably get this before the end of the month :doe:
https://www.amazon.com/RDX-Powerlifting ... l_huc_item
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:06 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:05 pm

Go on.
Crunch fitness. We're currently talking about this in OT. Feel free to join the discussion.
Missed the Michelle chat :popcorn: ?

Haven't been in here in forever, kinda bitched out after I hurt my back and didn't want to post the embarrassing numbers to y'all, but I've been back to lifting consistently. Trying the 531 Boring But Big program again since I didn't get far into it last time. This week was:
DL: 275X10
Bench: 205X10
Squat: 225X8
OHP: 115X8

Still fucking weak but slowly climbing again. I'm being very careful to not re-fuck my back.

Curious on the belt discussion in here, I've never used one. :notsure:
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:06 pm

Haven't been in here in forever, kinda bitched out after I hurt my back and didn't want to post the embarrassing numbers to y'all, but I've been back to lifting consistently. Trying the 531 Boring But Big program again since I didn't get far into it last time. This week was:

Still fucking weak but slowly climbing again. I'm being very careful to not re-fuck my back.

Nice man, glad you’re getting back into it. 531 is great and I think resetting every month will help keep your number in check while you develop you back to avoid another injury.

My lower back was fucking pumped today after my deadlift sets.. was having trouble walking and bending over right after, but it’s alreay feeling fine. Hit 345 for the first time in a long time and went 10, 10, 8, 8. Not bad for my first attempt. I’ll really push in two weeks when I go again to get all 4x10.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Nice man, glad you’re getting back into it. 531 is great and I think resetting every month will help keep your number in check while you develop you back to avoid another injury.

My lower back was fucking pumped today after my deadlift sets.. was having trouble walking and bending over right after, but it’s alreay feeling fine. Hit 345 for the first time in a long time and went 10, 10, 8, 8. Not bad for my first attempt. I’ll really push in two weeks when I go again to get all 4x10.
Nice, that is a solid number! I'm straight up embarrassed squatting now, but ah well. Just gotta work at it more, it seems to be progressing.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

Been having some nagging L shoulder and elbow tenderness lately, especially during the front rack of cleans. Hoping some extra thoracic stretching will get that straightened out.
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 pm

Nice, that is a solid number! I'm straight up embarrassed squatting now, but ah well. Just gotta work at it more, it seems to be progressing.
Yeah you’ll get back up now.

It’s not conducive to 531s strength goals, but one thing you might try is doing hamstring curls and/or extensions before you squat. You’ll pre-exhaust the muscles in your legs so when you squat lifter weights feel heavier. This’ll help keep your back safe and still get you a good leg workout.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:sawce:
My friend at work gave notice and is quitting his VP level Bank job to coach full-time. The ONLY certification he has is the Starting Strength Coach. August is already completely booked for him. :notbad: at $120+ a session.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:23 am :sawce:
My friend at work gave notice and is quitting his VP level Bank job to coach full-time. The ONLY certification he has is the Starting Strength Coach. August is already completely booked for him. :notbad: at $120+ a session.
Its it really hard to get the SSC cert though? I mean that's good for him, i just get the impression thats a bitch to get.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Damn, that’s awesome. I need to buckle down and get some sort of cert.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:33 am
Its it really hard to get the SSC cert though? I mean that's good for him, i just get the impression thats a bitch to get.
It's insanely difficult to get the cert. Other SSC's have let their other certs expire because they don't drive nearly the business that the SSC does.

The cert starts with you attending a weekend long seminar, where you are initially evaluated on your in-person coaching ability. IF you pass that part, then you have 14 days to respond to 5 essay questions to challenge your depth of knowledge. I believe my friends response was in the neighborhood of 50 pages.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

another meh workout in terms of performance. 4th day of squats at 255, and if anything it was more of a grind today than the first day at 255.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

yesterday was another meh day in terms of performance. 5th day of 255 squats.....and they started to feel not shitty.
195 bench press again where i had to grind out the last rep. Last workout on the bench was 200 lbs and i could not do all the reps.

I'm going to take my TRT shot tonight and see how tuesday and friday feel. If no improvement....maybe i need a different program.
brain go brrrrrr