DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:17 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:55 am

ok..... so its better to do some volume on non BP days? IE dont lift heavy then drop weight and immediately crank out reps?
Yeah, I do it on the opposing days, so I do 531...

OHP day I follow it up with 5X10 bench.
Squat day I follow it up with 5X10 DL.
And vice versa.

I'm repeating week three of this cycle so my deload week will be next week before my triathalon. I ended up getting one more rep of OHP than last week today, so that was good. 125X4.
I did 3x10 at 135 in between the pullups last night, definitely felt a bit of a pump. I guess we will see how thursday morning goes.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:38 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:17 pm

Yeah, I do it on the opposing days, so I do 531...

OHP day I follow it up with 5X10 bench.
Squat day I follow it up with 5X10 DL.
And vice versa.

I'm repeating week three of this cycle so my deload week will be next week before my triathalon. I ended up getting one more rep of OHP than last week today, so that was good. 125X4.
I did 3x10 at 135 in between the pullups last night, definitely felt a bit of a pump. I guess we will see how thursday morning goes.
:word:

Just add 5 pounds to those each workout as you're able to keep building up. A lot of programs (5X5, apparently starting strength, Wendler) don't really call for enough volume on bench and OHP, IMO. I like Wendler because it's flexible and you can do whatever assistance work you like really, but I don't think the upper body numbers will yield huge results without adding in more reps.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Man, this morning I pulled on a t-shirt and for a minute was like "damn, I'm really getting big, this thing is so tiny"... then I realized that it was Allison's shirt :disappoint: .
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:57 am Man, this morning I pulled on a t-shirt and for a minute was like "damn, I'm really getting big, this thing is so tiny"... then I realized that it was Allison's shirt :disappoint: .
:lolol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Oh, in other news..... squats improving. did 3x5 at 295 yesterday, a milestone because i weighed in at 287 this am.... so i did over bodyweight for my work set! :megusta:
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:00 am Oh, in other news..... squats improving. did 3x5 at 295 yesterday, a milestone because i weighed in at 287 this am.... so i did over bodyweight for my work set! :megusta:
:fuckyeah:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:57 am Man, this morning I pulled on a t-shirt and for a minute was like "damn, I'm really getting big, this thing is so tiny"... then I realized that it was Allison's shirt :disappoint: .
:lolgasm:
SAWCE

About to buy some more 2XL shirts :megusta:
SAWCE

Last night on 345 deads I got 10, 10, 10, 9. I'm gonna move up to 355 next time.

Added a little bit to my weighted pull-ups and got 10, 10, 10, 8 with 25lbs, so I may go up to 35 for those next time too. Nice to see I haven't lost any strength yet with how fast my weight is dropping.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Not noticing back pain except when I’m sitting with no or poor back support. Hopefully I’ll be back in the gym next week.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Form check plz. I had to drop down to 185 and still failed on the last rep :(

brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:19 pm Form check plz. I had to drop down to 185 and still failed on the last rep :(

The only thing I'm noticing is that the bar moves straight up and down for the top half of the rep, but the lower half you're moving it down away from your head if that makes sense. Ideally the bar path should be pretty straight up and down. Grip looks like it could be a little wider, not sure if that would influence the bar path at all... Other than that it looks good. You're taking a brief pause at the bottom of the rep and pushing through all the way without bouncing or jerking around at all.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:25 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:19 pm Form check plz. I had to drop down to 185 and still failed on the last rep :(

The only thing I'm noticing is that the bar moves straight up and down for the top half of the rep, but the lower half you're moving it down away from your head if that makes sense. Ideally the bar path should be pretty straight up and down. Grip looks like it could be a little wider, not sure if that would influence the bar path at all... Other than that it looks good. You're taking a brief pause at the bottom of the rep and pushing through all the way without bouncing or jerking around at all.

Thanks, little bit wider grip was my only self critique. re: bar path, does it not by nature have a slight arc to it? I know the point is to minimize, but I guess your saying im doing a poor job of minimizing it?
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:58 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Thanks, little bit wider grip was my only self critique. re: bar path, does it not by nature have a slight arc to it? I know the point is to minimize, but I guess your saying im doing a poor job of minimizing it?
Yeah some arc is normal, yours is just odd in that it seems to be two straight lines.. you start pushing up at an angle towards your face, then at one point it just starts moving straight up and down.. it's that same point on the way down where you start to bring the bar away from your face.. I think if the whole press was just one straight (angled) line (or an actual arc) to that point and then back down, it'd move more naturally and your weights would start going up. It's just that pivot point that's throwing me off when I see it.

I know I worded that weird as fuck, but I hope you know what I'm getting at.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:04 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:58 pm

Yeah some arc is normal, yours is just odd in that it seems to be two straight lines.. you start pushing up at an angle towards your face, then at one point it just starts moving straight up and down.. it's that same point on the way down where you start to bring the bar away from your face.. I think if the whole press was just one straight (angled) line (or an actual arc) to that point and then back down, it'd move more naturally and your weights would start going up. It's just that pivot point that's throwing me off when I see it.

I think i get it and i think i see what you are speaking of. I'll adjust. Thanks!
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:13 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:04 pm

I think i get it and i think i see what you are speaking of. I'll adjust. Thanks!
Happy to help. Hope it actually helps.
SAWCE

Pretty good shoulder day yesterday.

Hit my smith machine presses behind my neck since the normal bench I use was taken.. went 135, 145, 155, 165 all for 10 reps. I might alternate those each week with my front presses, being behind my neck seemed to isolate my shoulders during the press from my chest a bit more.

Side raises with 40lb dumbbells, then dropped to the 20s after my last set to keep that going and really hit failure.

Machine side raises after that, then machine rear raises, and finished with shrugs on the smith machine.

Nice that I'm still keeping strength with my weight dropping. Excited to train arms today at lunch and then weigh in tomorrow to see how this week went.
SAWCE

Don't remember if I talked about it last week, but I found an Arm Blaster in our work gym. Wore it for all three of my biceps exercises last week and yesterday. Holy fuck that extra isolation in your biceps is brutal. Really showed me how much I was using my shoulders and back to pull the weight up. Went from hitting 4 sets of 12 with 91.5lbs on EZ bar curls, to struggling and not hitting all 4 sets of 12 last week with 66.5lbs (our bar weighs 16.5lbs). Got all four sets today, so I'll move up the weight a bit next time, but fuck man, this thing is gnarly. I really think I'll be able to get a little extra growth out of my biceps between now and my show with it.
SAWCE

HIt another full workout with the Arm Blaster today. Smoked my arms. Feels good man. I'm really excited about this growth potential with it's extra isolation.
SAWCE

Closing in on my old rep PR for deadlifts that I hit the last time I ran 531. Best ever set was 365x11. Pulling 355 this week. Got 10, then 7, 7, and 7.

Theoretically I’m stronger now since I’m hitting multiple sets at those weights and leaving a little in the tank for the following sets, but I’ll wait to officially call that until I hit 375 for a good 10 reps and then a few more sets with it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:42 pm Closing in on my old rep PR for deadlifts that I hit the last time I ran 531. Best ever set was 365x11. Pulling 355 this week. Got 10, then 7, 7, and 7.

Theoretically I’m stronger now since I’m hitting multiple sets at those weights and leaving a little in the tank for the following sets, but I’ll wait to officially call that until I hit 375 for a good 10 reps and then a few more sets with it.
:amaze:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:40 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:42 pm Closing in on my old rep PR for deadlifts that I hit the last time I ran 531. Best ever set was 365x11. Pulling 355 this week. Got 10, then 7, 7, and 7.

I'm especially happy considering I’m eating at a deficit and losing weight at a steady pace of 4lbs/week over the last three weeks. I’ll try to keep my strength up there as close to the show as I can.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:14 am
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:40 pm

I'm especially happy considering I’m eating at a deficit and losing weight at a steady pace of 4lbs/week over the last three weeks. I’ll try to keep my strength up there as close to the show as I can.
:impressive: :massles:
SAWCE

Crushed my deadlifts from two weeks ago.
Last time was 355x10,7,7,7
Just hit 355x10,10,8,7
The last rep my have been an 8th... at the top of one I counted 6 in my head, but then had the thought that the rep before was only 4... got two more after that. So either 7 or 8, but I’m counting as 7 so I don’t oversell.
Inb4 I only got 3 every set but I just can’t count and lift at the same time :sawce:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

:sawce:

Broken ankle. No squats or DL's for a month ( :( )

1. is there a focused upper body program you can recommend to get my bench and OHP up faster than i was trying with Starting strength?

2. anything suggestion i can do in the home gym in the boot to help me not loose leg strength? or at work. keeping in mid that i cant work out in the boot, because i sweat so much it would be a stinky mess.
brain go brrrrrr