DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Two intentional days off before I go and run ten miles.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Chest circuit for :fax:

•8-10 reps: Incline dumbbell press, reverse grip
•Max reps: Incline dumbbell press, regular grip (same weight)
•Max reps: Push-up, feet elevated
•Max reps: Flat dumbbell press, reverse grip (same weight)
•Max reps: Flat dumbbell press, regular grip (same weight)
•Max reps: Push-up
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

cross posted

Home gym is virtually done. First workout in. I did about an hour. Since i Slacked this week (due to building the fucking thing) I did squats & bench and a well rounded complex routine, complex b. One hour, about 800 calories.

Its most excellit in function. works well. Bench is comfortable.

The Rogue bar is amaze balls. I can't discern any defects that would have put in in the boneyard (maybe its double knurled? but its consistent and nice so whatever). Totally worth the money bros.

It felt really good to put in some work. I will probably extend the financial pain of this and just go buy 2 more matching 45lb plates since lading up ~260 pounds of plates is a PITA, but i'm glad i have a set because its versatile.

Fax's :haus: of gainz (& losses) is open for biznuizz
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:31 pm cross posted

Home gym is virtually done. First workout in. I did about an hour. Since i Slacked this week (due to building the fucking thing) I did squats & bench and a well rounded complex routine, complex b. One hour, about 800 calories.

The Rogue bar is amaze balls. I can't discern any defects that would have put in in the boneyard (maybe its double knurled? but its consistent and nice so whatever). Totally worth the money bros.

It felt really good to put in some work. I will probably extend the financial pain of this and just go buy 2 more matching 45lb plates since lading up ~260 pounds of plates is a PITA, but i'm glad i have a set because its versatile.

NIce man. Does that rubber pad not cut off right where you're trying to stand for squats and still be supported by the spotter arms? or do you face the opposite wall and walk forward after taking the bar off the rack?
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:fuckyeah: :jelly:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:34 pm

NIce man. Does that rubber pad not cut off right where you're trying to stand for squats and still be supported by the spotter arms? or do you face the opposite wall and walk forward after taking the bar off the rack?
It is a little in the way, today i just walked it back. I've trained myself to 'fail forward' from using the rack at the y, so it shouldn't be an issue. But I might cut a tile to fit that space.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:08 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:34 pm

It is a little in the way, today i just walked it back. I've trained myself to 'fail forward' from using the rack at the y, so it shouldn't be an issue. But I might cut a tile to fit that space.
:word:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Started reading Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training. I will try to learn things and incorporate them into my training.

Yesterday I was feeling like poo all day but still went home and did bench/row, and Complex A
Row
Clean
Front squat
Military press
Back squat
Good mornings.

I bumped up to 75 lbs for the complexes. For the first round i did legit cleans but for the second I modified and cut out the deadlift portion. I may have caused my back some tenderness doing military presses as well.... it feels pretty ok today but i must be more careful.

For the bench presses...now that i have spotter bars...and not one to be embarrassed too if i crawl out under them... I really focused on form and depth, and i must have been cheating the move a bit. I had to drop serious weight off the bar (progressively) to get my 5 sets in, and still had to use those spotter arms once. This must be why i was stuck, but alas, Its something to work on. I'm still moving some serial metal around.

Training at home was nice. I threw on some Starting strength yout00b and did my thing while trying to learn it better.
48 minutes, 574 calories, avg 137 BPM, but was easily over 150 the last 15-20 doing the complexes.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:43 am Started reading Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training. I will try to learn things and incorporate them into my training.

Yesterday I was feeling like poo all day but still went home and did bench/row, and Complex A
Row
Clean
Front squat
Military press
Back squat
Good mornings.

I bumped up to 75 lbs for the complexes. For the first round i did legit cleans but for the second I modified and cut out the deadlift portion. I may have caused my back some tenderness doing military presses as well.... it feels pretty ok today but i must be more careful.

For the bench presses...now that i have spotter bars...and not one to be embarrassed too if i crawl out under them... I really focused on form and depth, and i must have been cheating the move a bit. I had to drop serious weight off the bar (progressively) to get my 5 sets in, and still had to use those spotter arms once. This must be why i was stuck, but alas, Its something to work on. I'm still moving some serial metal around.

Training at home was nice. I threw on some Starting strength yout00b and did my thing while trying to learn it better.
48 minutes, 574 calories, avg 137 BPM, but was easily over 150 the last 15-20 doing the complexes.
Solid man. Hang cleans are a good alternative to full cleans, especially now when you only have a 10 and a 5 on the bar and it's gonna be sitting way lower than if you had a full plate on there. Can try to progress that movement by setting your spotter arms at or just below knee height next time and clean the bar from there so you still have to get down a bit.
Apex

In4swole :fax:
SAWCE

Had a decent chest workout last night.

205 on incline again. Got my first two sets of 10. Third set I got 9, then racked the weight for 5 breaths, pulled it off and hit my 10th rep. Fourth set was the same, but I got 7 reps and did three 5-breath paused reps to finish all 10.

That gassed me pretty hard so when I went to flat dumbbell press after that it was rought. Last week with 55s I hit 10, 10, 10, 15, all nice and slow and controlled with pauses at the top and bottom. Going up to the 60s yesterday I struggled to hit 10, 10, 10, 11.

Incline dumbbell flyes after that... stuck with the same weight I hit on them last time, and I'm glad I did, cause I was getting a pinch in my left shoulder at full extension. Cut my last two sets short by 1 and 2 reps respectively.

Machine flyes after that. First two sets felt good, then tried a new grip on the last one and it felt funky, but I still got all my reps.

Abs after chest then went home. Didn't do cardio, I'll get it in one morning before work or saturday after I hit legs.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:05 am

Solid man. Hang cleans are a good alternative to full cleans, especially now when you only have a 10 and a 5 on the bar and it's gonna be sitting way lower than if you had a full plate on there. Can try to progress that movement by setting your spotter arms at or just below knee height next time and clean the bar from there so you still have to get down a bit.
good tip, but i bought bumpers for complexes :D
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:42 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:05 am

good tip, but i bought bumpers for complexes :D
Well in that case....

:pussy:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

What's a quality fish oil?

Is there a supplement thread? NVM. It's on the first page

:derp:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Yesterday i started working with the Starting strength squat form, totally feeling it today. I was still working with serious weight, but less. I think that I'm going to continue reading this Starting Strength book and try that program for the time being while continuing complexes for cardio. I'll also try to work in 10 minutes a few times a week on the rower.

Complex B
Deadlift
Clean-grip high pull
Clean-grip snatch
Back squat
Good mornings
Row

49 minutes 696 cal, avg HR of 151, with over 160 hr average on the complexes. The polar app said my tempo was "maximum" and the I "significantly improved my aerobic fitness" among other things. I also re-check my stats in the app to see if my metrics were still accurate so the calculations for calories were half ass accurate.

Diet this week is a bit off the rails, but starting sunday we are getting back on it hard core and staying on it for at least a month. Weight was 287 this am :facepalm: :disappoint:

I will say this though, i fell strong AF these days. My upper & lower body (ie just not the middle lol) actually have some definition in those muscles. My back is feeling super strong. My shoulder blades touch the wall before my back :wtf: thats new. Under all the belly my Abs feel like really strong....and despite still haveing lots of fluff....i feel like there is less between the gut and the muscles.

Anyway, onwards.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:41 am Yesterday i started working with the Starting strength squat form, totally feeling it today. I was still working with serious weight, but less. I think that I'm going to continue reading this Starting Strength book and try that program for the time being while continuing complexes for cardio. I'll also try to work in 10 minutes a few times a week on the rower.

Complex B
Deadlift
Clean-grip high pull
Clean-grip snatch
Back squat
Good mornings
Row

49 minutes 696 cal, avg HR of 151, with over 160 hr average on the complexes. The polar app said my tempo was "maximum" and the I "significantly improved my aerobic fitness" among other things. I also re-check my stats in the app to see if my metrics were still accurate so the calculations for calories were half ass accurate.

Diet this week is a bit off the rails, but starting sunday we are getting back on it hard core and staying on it for at least a month. Weight was 287 this am :facepalm: :disappoint:

I will say this though, i fell strong AF these days. My upper & lower body (ie just not the middle lol) actually have some definition in those muscles. My back is feeling super strong. My shoulder blades touch the wall before my back :wtf: thats new. Under all the belly my Abs feel like really strong....and despite still haveing lots of fluff....i feel like there is less between the gut and the muscles.

Anyway, onwards.
If you have any questions on SS squat form, grab a video and I am happy to give my 2cents. That's what I have been doing for the past few years now.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Apex wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:28 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:41 am Yesterday i started working with the Starting strength squat form, totally feeling it today. I was still working with serious weight, but less. I think that I'm going to continue reading this Starting Strength book and try that program for the time being while continuing complexes for cardio. I'll also try to work in 10 minutes a few times a week on the rower.

Complex B
Deadlift
Clean-grip high pull
Clean-grip snatch
Back squat
Good mornings
Row

Anyway, onwards.
If you have any questions on SS squat form, grab a video and I am happy to give my 2cents. That's what I have been doing for the past few years now.
will do. been watching the youtubes on this too.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Whats different about a Starting Strength squat?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:31 pm Whats different about a Starting Strength squat?
Not that i was ever formally taught....

but from what i can tell you keep your neck neutral and look down, knees wider, hips drop below knees.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:13 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:31 pm Whats different about a Starting Strength squat?

but from what i can tell you keep your neck neutral and look down, knees wider, hips drop below knees.
Sounds like a normal squat to me :lol:
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:48 pm

It should be a typical low-bar squat.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Gotcha. I squat like that, but I keep the bar higher. Low-bar never felt quite right to me.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:55 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Gotcha. I squat like that, but I keep the bar higher. Low-bar never felt quite right to me.
It's cause you just wanna look big and not get strong. :lol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

yea, basically i was able to get more depth by going to a wider stance and pointing toes out, which like i said never being taught, I didnt know to do.

Good talk guise :neek:
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Dude at my work has recently started working out/lifting. He claims he's already deadlifting 365 for reps and that he squatted 385 completely raw. He wants to do a max day on Saturday, so I might roll with him just so I can see what his real numbers are and how shallow he's squatting.