DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also ordered a bag to carry my ever increasing array of shit around. I now have knee sleeves, the bar pad, straps, stretch bands, etc. etc.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Glad to see you’re back at it Breh!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:05 pm Glad to see you’re back at it Breh!
While I was on oxycodone I ate the fuck out of cheeseburgers and their ilk. Then I knocked off the oxy but replaced that with way too much booze. None of this has been good for BMI.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:13 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:05 pm Glad to see you’re back at it Breh!
While I was on oxycodone I ate the fuck out of cheeseburgers and their ilk. Then I knocked off the oxy but replaced that with way too much booze. None of this has been good for BMI.
Negative Ghostrider.

Now back to our regularly scheduled gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:49 pm Reporting in on the rehab situation, not that any of it is particularly exciting.

August 1, 2019. DL-325
Squat-375
OHP-135
Bench-275
Weight 211

Then I fucked myself up BUT GOOD, C7 impingement leaving me crying like a schoolgirl, and gutting strength on my left side, down through the tricep into the index finger.....which is still a little numb, but better.

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the trauma was actually occassioned by the naked squat bar across my neck.....I have never like the pads because of control/feel issues and because he-man but NO LONGER. After trying front squats and hating them, I am padding up and getting back to work.

The bad.....wow, if you need the tricep, I am fucked. 4X10 unassisted dips before injury, now using 50 lbs of assistance and getting 8,6,4 reps. Tricep curls with 70 lb bar, now using 50 lb bar. OHP now 85 vs. 135.
Bench is THE MOST DEPRESSING. Could not move 175 last weekend.

The less bad. Pulled 245 X 4 last week, squats I am approaching very gingerly, prioritizing form......245X5 2 days ago.

In every single exercise going forward, I am focusing on a neck neutral , zero cervical stress form for every exercise. While it is depressing that so much work has been wasted, the continued work is getting me back to where I want to be and helping the healing process, in the last two weeks I am starting to feel more and more normal.

That's the report from the old man. Weighed in a 216 this morning, I should weigh 205 to approximate my pre-injury BMI. Sad! But back on it.
Rough man, but glad you’re getting back on it.

Back squats are honestly overrated. Use the pad if t feels good, but if the movement in general isn’t great for your leverages, just skip it. Front squats are a great alternative for most people, and will give your code a nice challenge as well. Just have to find what position with your arms works best for you. Depending on what kind of gym you go to, they may have a safety squat bar.. it’ll have pads that come up over your shoulders/traps and the bar is cambered and shifts the weight out in front of you like a front squat. Goblet squats, sissy squats, etc can all replace the back squat in your programming too.

I can help you choose whatever variant will best support your goals if you want.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:49 pm Reporting in on the rehab situation, not that any of it is particularly exciting.

August 1, 2019. DL-325
Squat-375
OHP-135
Bench-275
Weight 211

Then I fucked myself up BUT GOOD, C7 impingement leaving me crying like a schoolgirl, and gutting strength on my left side, down through the tricep into the index finger.....which is still a little numb, but better.

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the trauma was actually occassioned by the naked squat bar across my neck.....I have never like the pads because of control/feel issues and because he-man but NO LONGER. After trying front squats and hating them, I am padding up and getting back to work.

The bad.....wow, if you need the tricep, I am fucked. 4X10 unassisted dips before injury, now using 50 lbs of assistance and getting 8,6,4 reps. Tricep curls with 70 lb bar, now using 50 lb bar. OHP now 85 vs. 135.

The less bad. Pulled 245 X 4 last week, squats I am approaching very gingerly, prioritizing form......245X5 2 days ago.

In every single exercise going forward, I am focusing on a neck neutral , zero cervical stress form for every exercise. While it is depressing that so much work has been wasted, the continued work is getting me back to where I want to be and helping the healing process, in the last two weeks I am starting to feel more and more normal.

That's the report from the old man. Weighed in a 216 this morning, I should weigh 205 to approximate my pre-injury BMI. Sad! But back on it.
glad you are back. do you listen to barbell logic? they have some excellent program notes for older d00ds
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:57 pm

August 1, 2019. DL-325
Squat-375
OHP-135
Bench-275
Weight 211

glad you are back. do you listen to barbell logic? they have some excellent program notes for older d00ds
No but after my first real kick in the balls from Father Time, I'm taking a more scholarly approach to all of this so will check it out.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:27 pm

August 1, 2019. DL-325
Squat-375
OHP-135
Bench-275
Weight 211

Back squats are honestly overrated. Use the pad if t feels good, but if the movement in general isn’t great for your leverages, just skip it. Front squats are a great alternative for most people, and will give your code a nice challenge as well. Just have to find what position with your arms works best for you. Depending on what kind of gym you go to, they may have a safety squat bar.. it’ll have pads that come up over your shoulders/traps and the bar is cambered and shifts the weight out in front of you like a front squat. Goblet squats, sissy squats, etc can all replace the back squat in your programming too.

I can help you choose whatever variant will best support your goals if you want.
Investigated. Do not have the SSB, but it looks badass. Great tips, will hammer the goblet squats next week. You're a brocyclopedia, Brandon. Thanks.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:47 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:27 pm

Investigated. Do not have the SSB, but it looks badass. Great tips, will hammer the goblet squats next week. You're a brocyclopedia, Brandon. Thanks.
Any time my man. I think you’ve got my contact info. Feel free to hit me up outside of here if there’s ever any question while you’re in the gym and would like a faster response.
SAWCE

Didn’t make it up to LBC tonight. Hit a quick arm day at my gym. Nice little pump. Shoulders and arms definitely growing a bit.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:52 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:47 pm

Any time my man. I think you’ve got my contact info. Feel free to hit me up outside of here if there’s ever any question while you’re in the gym and would like a faster response.

Will do. Truly appreciated.
SAWCE

Arms finally breaking 17”. Left one is just over, right one is 17.25”. Not a bad size, but they still look thin to me with how long they are. Need to get to that 18-19” range at least.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:18 pm Arms finally breaking 17”. Left one is just over, right one is 17.25”. Not a bad size, but they still look thin to me with how long they are. Need to get to that 18-19” range at least.
Dubs or bust.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:26 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:18 pm Arms finally breaking 17”. Left one is just over, right one is 17.25”. Not a bad size, but they still look thin to me with how long they are. Need to get to that 18-19” range at least.
Dubs or bust.
One day for sure!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:54 pm Didn’t make it up to LBC tonight. Hit a quick arm day at my gym. Nice little pump. Shoulders and arms definitely growing a bit.

Text pic to Latina. :notbad:
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:51 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:54 pm Didn’t make it up to LBC tonight. Hit a quick arm day at my gym. Nice little pump. Shoulders and arms definitely growing a bit.

Text pic to Latina. :notbad:
It’s on my Instagram story. She’ll see it. Bet she replies with a 😍
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Re: Gyms

Thinking of joining Lisa and I up to a local gym. She wants to get a bit more fit. I am just bored every morning.

What is a reasonable cost to expect to pay?
I'm reading a lot of stuff about it being damn near impossible to cancel a membership at a few near my house, is this a typical gym trait?
Is planet fitness really as terrible as it sounds?
SAWCE

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:25 pm Re: Gyms

Thinking of joining Lisa and I up to a local gym. She wants to get a bit more fit. I am just bored every morning.

I'm reading a lot of stuff about it being damn near impossible to cancel a membership at a few near my house, is this a typical gym trait?
For what you two would likely do in there, Planet Fitness will fill your needs just fine. Normal rates for other commercial gyms you can expect to pay anywhere from $30-50/month, but some definitely get more expensive. Cancelling usually isn’t too much of a hassle.. you give notice, they bill you a final time and you have 30 days from them to visit the gym. That’s always been my experience. I’ve had various 24 hour fitness memberships over the years and been a member at four different independent bb gyms out here in San Diego.

If you find a local place, they’ll often let you pay for a year up front for a bit of a discount. $300 is standard for that, bringing your rate down to $25/month. If you know you’ll use them, that’s the way to go.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:jimp:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

SAWCE wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:09 pm

For what you two would likely do in there, Planet Fitness will fill your needs just fine. Normal rates for other commercial gyms you can expect to pay anywhere from $30-50/month, but some definitely get more expensive. Cancelling usually isn’t too much of a hassle.. you give notice, they bill you a final time and you have 30 days from them to visit the gym. That’s always been my experience. I’ve had various 24 hour fitness memberships over the years and been a member at four different independent bb gyms out here in San Diego.

If you find a local place, they’ll often let you pay for a year up front for a bit of a discount. $300 is standard for that, bringing your rate down to $25/month. If you know you’ll use them, that’s the way to go.
Thanks buddy.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Try to find a YMCA. Also, starting strength. doetttt
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:32 am

SAWCE

Apex wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:51 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:32 am

:triggered:
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:46 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:51 am

:hue:

Also, finally got a scale today. Weighed in at 230 fully dressed doe. :notbad: thought I was going to be at least 10-20lbs heavier.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:22 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:46 pm

:hue:

Also, finally got a scale today. Weighed in at 230 fully dressed doe. :notbad: thought I was going to be at least 10-20lbs heavier.
We’re pretty close to the same weight. I was 225.2 Saturday morning naked after using the restroom.