DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:48 am Made it into the gym despite the cold yesterday and had a surprisingly :fuckyeah: session. Added weight on my first three lifts and stayed within my rep range. Stuck with 7 plates and a quarter on each side of the leg press since I haven’t hit all 30 reps with that yet and got 25. I’ll get all 30 next week. Paused squats I could have been pausing longer, but still hit 8 reps with 285. I’ll stay here next week too and increase the time of my pauses and try to get closer to the top of the rep range which is 8-12. Only exercise that kinda sucked was the finisher single leg curls. I was just wiped out at that point. Barely got into my rep range. Hitting that day that well while sick makes me :excited: to get in next week and absolutely crush it.
:massles: :massles: :massles:
:massles: :nice: :massles:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:20 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:48 am Made it into the gym despite the cold yesterday and had a surprisingly :fuckyeah: session. Added weight on my first three lifts and stayed within my rep range. Stuck with 7 plates and a quarter on each side of the leg press since I haven’t hit all 30 reps with that yet and got 25. I’ll get all 30 next week. Paused squats I could have been pausing longer, but still hit 8 reps with 285. I’ll stay here next week too and increase the time of my pauses and try to get closer to the top of the rep range which is 8-12. Only exercise that kinda sucked was the finisher single leg curls. I was just wiped out at that point. Barely got into my rep range. Hitting that day that well while sick makes me :excited: to get in next week and absolutely crush it.
This routine I’ve been doing the last 10 weeks has been great for my legs. Adding in the adductor machine where you squeeze your legs together has throw some good size on them since I never really used to train that muscle. No thigh gap next year when I’m on stage!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:38 am

This routine I’ve been doing the last 10 weeks has been great for my legs. Adding in the adductor machine where you squeeze your legs together has throw some good size on them since I never really used to train that muscle. No thigh gap next year when I’m on stage!
:nice:

You finding jeans that fit OK? My thighs are already a tight squeeze in many pants, not much out there for people who lift but are also kinda skinny (I'm 185ish but my thighs/chest are more like a 220 pound person's I guess).
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

that thing was useless to me before I started doing barbell training. I had it maxed out in like 2 weeks
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:42 am

that thing was useless to me before I started doing barbell training. I had it maxed out in like 2 weeks
In4 videos of you crushing watermelons between your thighs. I’m lucky, the machine at our gym for t is weighted pretty heavily. Although in the last 10 weeks I’ve worked up to where I’m only one pin hole away from maxing it out. I’m gonna have an extender thing built that I can put in the stack and has a sleeve like the end of a barbell so I can add additional weight to machines like that.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:42 am

You finding jeans that fit OK? My thighs are already a tight squeeze in many pants, not much out there for people who lift but are also kinda skinny (I'm 185ish but my thighs/chest are more like a 220 pound person's I guess).
Barely squeezing into my Levi 541s. I even go up 2” in the waist and still have trouble. Gonna try a pair of 505 or whatever their relaxed fit is. I just don’t like baggy ankles. If the thighs work I’ll have the lower legs tailored to taper in a bit. If not, I’ll probably just buy one of those newer weightlifting brands jeans that are supposed to have bigger thighs for us. They’re just stupid expensive compared to $50 Levi’s.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:42 am
Apex wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:21 am The self improvement thread got me off my ass this morning and hit the gym. I took the day off so I kept my alarm on and went for a morning workout.
Kept it light since I haven’t moved any iron in a long ass time.
Squat 135
Bench 115
Deadlift 185
Dips 5, 5, 3, 2

I’m going to schedule something like Monday, Wednesday, Friday for getting up an hour earlier and hitting the gym. We’ll see how next week goes.

What are you thinking as far as programming?

I've been doing 531 for 3 lifts a week.

Day 1 - front squat and bench + BBB OHP + some accessory stuff
Day 2 - dead lift + accessory stuff
Day 3 OHP + Bench BBB + accessory stuff

I've been pretty happy with this setup. I generally bike and run at least one day a week, sometimes twice, so hitting lifting 3X and cardio 2-3X.
Basic Starting Strength NLP for now. Squat every day, alternating bench and OHP. Not sure about dead’s since this gym has the hex plates and not round ones which makes it a pain to reset for each rep.

Add in some dips and curls as I feel like it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:24 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:42 am

In4 videos of you crushing watermelons between your thighs. I’m lucky, the machine at our gym for t is weighted pretty heavily. Although in the last 10 weeks I’ve worked up to where I’m only one pin hole away from maxing it out. I’m gonna have an extender thing built that I can put in the stack and has a sleeve like the end of a barbell so I can add additional weight to machines like that.
:iono: kinda messy but no doubt I could.

this was way back in my planet shitness days so I think the stack maxed out at like 240
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:00 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:24 pm

this was way back in my planet shitness days so I think the stack maxed out at like 240
Funny how different brands are weighted differently. At my old gym I used it once or twice and was high 100s. This machine at my current gym maxes at 125 IIRC and I’m still not there on it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:15 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:00 pm

Funny how different brands are weighted differently. At my old gym I used it once or twice and was high 100s. This machine at my current gym maxes at 125 IIRC and I’m still not there on it.
oh yeah the effect of levers and pulleys is huge. that's why barbells are best for raw practical strength. I realize you have different goals.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:24 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:15 pm

oh yeah the effect of levers and pulleys is huge. that's why barbells are best for raw practical strength. I realize you have different goals.
Yep. Very few lifts I do with free weights now
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:26 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:42 am

Barely squeezing into my Levi 541s. I even go up 2” in the waist and still have trouble. Gonna try a pair of 505 or whatever their relaxed fit is. I just don’t like baggy ankles. If the thighs work I’ll have the lower legs tailored to taper in a bit. If not, I’ll probably just buy one of those newer weightlifting brands jeans that are supposed to have bigger thighs for us. They’re just stupid expensive compared to $50 Levi’s.
I have some 514s which are a lose comfy fit on my thighs... but kinda baggy in the lower leg/ankle for my tastes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:42 am

What are you thinking as far as programming?

I've been doing 531 for 3 lifts a week.

Day 1 - front squat and bench + BBB OHP + some accessory stuff
Day 2 - dead lift + accessory stuff
Day 3 OHP + Bench BBB + accessory stuff

I've been pretty happy with this setup. I generally bike and run at least one day a week, sometimes twice, so hitting lifting 3X and cardio 2-3X.
Basic Starting Strength NLP for now. Squat every day, alternating bench and OHP. Not sure about dead’s since this gym has the hex plates and not round ones which makes it a pain to reset for each rep.

Add in some dips and curls as I feel like it.
:notbad:
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:47 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:26 pm

I have some 514s which are a lose comfy fit on my thighs... but kinda baggy in the lower leg/ankle for my tastes.
Unless the numbering has changed 514 is their slim straight. You might like the 541, athletic taper. Bigger in the thighs than 514, with a slightly smaller calf/ankle than the 514.

Of course this is Levi’s though so every fucking pair fits differently :rage: worst QC from a major company that I’ve ever experienced.
Apex

I found bumpers! There was a set of 45lb bumper plates sitting next to the squat rack this morning so I grabbed them to setup some deadlifts. So much better than the stupid hex plates.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:36 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:47 pm

Unless the numbering has changed 514 is their slim straight. You might like the 541, athletic taper. Bigger in the thighs than 514, with a slightly smaller calf/ankle than the 514.

Of course this is Levi’s though so every fucking pair fits differently :rage: worst QC from a major company that I’ve ever experienced.
Bro. I've had similar experiences with Gap Jeans............BIG TIME. 32 inch inseam? Kbrah. Some are floodwaters, some are a little too long. How is that possible?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:36 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:36 pm

Bro. I've had similar experiences with Gap Jeans............BIG TIME. 32 inch inseam? Kbrah. Some are floodwaters, some are a little too long. How is that possible?
Interesting. I’ve had good qc with BR branded stuff and they’re all rolling off the same factory lines.

Speaking of, I actually went and tried on their athletic taper fit jeans last night. They fit well. Give my thigh about an extra inch of room over a pair of the same sized/cut Levi’s, plus they had some stretch to them. The length did seem long for a 34” inseam though, so maybe you’re on to something there.

I’ll likely pick up a pair or two of them while they’re doing this 30% off sale right now. Extra 10% for using my BR credit card, and I have a $25 reward from past purchases that needs to be used by 11/30... should bring the cost of two pairs down to $70ish each. Not great, not terrible.
Apex

:jalepenis: numbers from week 1:

Squat 150
Deadlift 195
OHP 100
Bench 120

Went a little too aggressive on OHP will probably repeat the hundo to reduce risk of premature stalling.
SAWCE

Yeah 100lb ohp is your strongest lift there for sure. I’d probably hut that for a few more cycles. Or, if you have 2.5lb weights, progress it by 5lbs total each cycle while everything else moves up by 10lbs.
SAWCE

Pretty good shoulder day yesterday.

I start with a machine press. The one we have is from Body Masters. Maxes out at “240lbs” (who knows what the actual weight of it is).. I’ve had it maxed for a few weeks and adding small weights to it, but last night I went a little bigger. Managed to get two 10lb dumbbells and. 15lb one stacked onto the rack for a goal of 275lbs. It was my last working set and pushed it to failure with 15 reps, then two rest/pauses where I got 6 and 3 more reps. 24 reps total and my shit was lit up.

Moved onto upright rows from there. 135lbs on the smith machine, 4 sets of 10.

After that I do a superset or side and front lateral raises. I don’t feel my shoulders working much with dumbbells for those moves so I’ve been hitting cables. Struggling with progressing on them, so last night I took the weight down and made sure to hold the peak contraction of every rep for 3 seconds. That had my shoulders dying by the end.

Two moves for rear delts, and then a few sets of shrugs to finish off. Great pump, but still got to go heavy for the pressing movement to kick things off. Perfect workout.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:56 pm Yeah 100lb ohp is your strongest lift there for sure. I’d probably hut that for a few more cycles. Or, if you have 2.5lb weights, progress it by 5lbs total each cycle while everything else moves up by 10lbs.
:dat:
I’ll probably keep it at a hundo for a couple cycles to let everything else catch up.

I’ll throw some numbers in here once a week or so to keep me honest.

I didn’t realize how good it is to workout at 5am. I’ve had zero noticeable downside to it. Hopefully I can keep up a MWF routine so my weekends are still free. :like: so far
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:18 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:56 pm Yeah 100lb ohp is your strongest lift there for sure. I’d probably hut that for a few more cycles. Or, if you have 2.5lb weights, progress it by 5lbs total each cycle while everything else moves up by 10lbs.
I’ll probably keep it at a hundo for a couple cycles to let everything else catch up.

I didn’t realize how good it is to workout at 5am. I’ve had zero noticeable downside to it. Hopefully I can keep up a MWF routine so my weekends are still free. :like: so far
MWF is solid. There’s a 3 day bb split that I’ll probably run at some point in the near-ish future. Nice to have those weekends free for sure.

I can’t do 5am lifts and be there mentally to push and give my all, but more power to you for doing it. I can crank cardio out in the morning and that’s about it. I try to stay in bed for that though :hubba:
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:23 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:18 pm

MWF is solid. There’s a 3 day bb split that I’ll probably run at some point in the near-ish future. Nice to have those weekends free for sure.

I can’t do 5am lifts and be there mentally to push and give my all, but more power to you for doing it. I can crank cardio out in the morning and that’s about it. I try to stay in bed for that though :hubba:
I’m still on baby weights; we’ll see how things go when it gets heavy. :lol:

Morning cardio :hubba:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Cycle 11 off to decent start except for my OHP. Hit most of my reps, moved mucho mass, feeling strong. Doing drop sets on the lifts that I cant hit target reps on, so in this case the OHP and the Deadlift. I think the grip problems stalled my ability to do 7 or 8 reps on a heavy deadlift, but the straps have solved that issue.

onward and upward!
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Reporting in on the rehab situation, not that any of it is particularly exciting.

August 1, 2019. DL-325
Squat-375
OHP-135
Bench-275
Weight 211

Then I fucked myself up BUT GOOD, C7 impingement leaving me crying like a schoolgirl, and gutting strength on my left side, down through the tricep into the index finger.....which is still a little numb, but better.

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the trauma was actually occassioned by the naked squat bar across my neck.....I have never like the pads because of control/feel issues and because he-man but NO LONGER. After trying front squats and hating them, I am padding up and getting back to work.

The bad.....wow, if you need the tricep, I am fucked. 4X10 unassisted dips before injury, now using 50 lbs of assistance and getting 8,6,4 reps. Tricep curls with 70 lb bar, now using 50 lb bar. OHP now 85 vs. 135.
Bench is THE MOST DEPRESSING. Could not move 175 last weekend.

The less bad. Pulled 245 X 4 last week, squats I am approaching very gingerly, prioritizing form......245X5 2 days ago.

In every single exercise going forward, I am focusing on a neck neutral , zero cervical stress form for every exercise. While it is depressing that so much work has been wasted, the continued work is getting me back to where I want to be and helping the healing process, in the last two weeks I am starting to feel more and more normal.

That's the report from the old man. Weighed in a 216 this morning, I should weigh 205 to approximate my pre-injury BMI. Sad! But back on it.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.