DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Got my arm workout in at lunch. Felt good. Eating these extra calories already has my strength going up. I brought someone from my team down to lift with me too, so I think that helped as well.

I'd been struggling finishing out my 185lb close grip bench.. but got all four sets of 10 today, and hit a bonus 11th rep on the fourth set.

Really hoping I can get a solid inch added to my upper arms between now and show day. Would mean a little more than an inch during every day life since I'll be peeling off a little size from fat getting as lean as I need to be to be competitive.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:29 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:23 am My workouts have taken a major hit the past few weeks. As in not at all entering the gym.

But I was motivated today. I went in and started slow again.

As of today, I have managed to lose 30lbs on this deployment. I’m not even close to where I want to be overall. But it’s a pretty awesome feeling to know that I was able to lose so much this quickly. My goal was 20lbs and I’ve kicked its ass. A few more pounds and I’ll be below 200 for the first time in over two years. And amazingly enough even with zero lifting or cardio. I managed to lose another 5lbs. Im going to credit the walking I do and my diet which hasnt been too terrible. This was the kickstart I needed to get going again. 30lbs lost in just over 4 months. Lets see how far I can keep this going.
You probably do lot more walking in Qatar to get somewhere as opposed to Murica where you essentially drive almost everywhere you go?

Same thing happens to me in Turkey, I only drive when I go somewhere far, and the majority of my time there is usually roadtrips. It’s easier to lose weight for me there than it is here, because I walk way more often, as I really have no other choice since driving, finding parking and find available spaces in paid garages is really irritating, it makes parking in DC feel like i’m in a suburb.
I probably walk 4 miles a day out here compared to 1 back stateside. Ive had multiple 10 mile days. And I bet ive had 1 in the states.
Barnes93cb

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:15 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:05 pm

:megusta: In4 :fax: squats455
FTFY.. ain't nobody in here using 2.5lb plates on their squat.
5x5 tells me to use 2.5 plates....

But yeah youre right. No one is using those. Especially at 445lbs.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:29 pm

You probably do lot more walking in Qatar to get somewhere as opposed to Murica where you essentially drive almost everywhere you go?

Same thing happens to me in Turkey, I only drive when I go somewhere far, and the majority of my time there is usually roadtrips. It’s easier to lose weight for me there than it is here, because I walk way more often, as I really have no other choice since driving, finding parking and find available spaces in paid garages is really irritating, it makes parking in DC feel like i’m in a suburb.
I probably walk 4 miles a day out here compared to 1 back stateside. Ive had multiple 10 mile days. And I bet ive had 1 in the states.
Yeah, that makes sense. 10 miles is a lot. I probably think my record is 6 miles in the US, and that was in Manhattan lol
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Barnes93cb

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:21 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 pm

Yeah, that makes sense. 10 miles is a lot. I probably think my record is 6 miles in the US, and that was in Manhattan lol
Walked through a bizarre, two malls, and by the port. Was a full 8 hours of walking.
SAWCE

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:15 pm

FTFY.. ain't nobody in here using 2.5lb plates on their squat.

Yeah they’re good for 5x5/starting strength, but once you’re over 315 on your squat, you might as well just use the 5s
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:25 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 pm

Yeah they’re good for 5x5/starting strength, but once you’re over 315 on your squat, you might as well just use the 5s
You've never run out a linear progression, have you? The difference between 345, 350, and 355 for example is huge.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

This morning was meh. Had to deload BP. Squats were ugly.
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Barnes93cb wrote:
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:21 am Yeah, that makes sense. 10 miles is a lot. I probably think my record is 6 miles in the US, and that was in Manhattan lol
Walked through a bizarre, two malls, and by the port. Was a full 8 hours of walking.
A bizarre what?

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Apex

Calvinball wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:00 pm
Barnes93cb wrote:
A bizarre what?

A bazaar, perhaps?
Calvinball

Apex wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:00 pm A bizarre what?

A bazaar, perhaps?
Way to kill the joke, Pex.

Apex

Calvinball wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:47 pm
Apex wrote:
A bazaar, perhaps?
Way to kill the joke, Pex.

:sad:
Barnes93cb

Calvinball wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:00 pm
Barnes93cb wrote:
A bizarre what?

Outdoor market. To be specific in this country its called a Souq.

Souq Waqif Doha Qatar.
Calvinball

Pex ruined my joke and Barnsey didn’t even pick up on it.

My day is Image

SAWCE

Apex wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:40 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:25 pm

You've never run out a linear progression, have you? The difference between 345, 350, and 355 for example is huge.
I haven’t. I know what you mean though. I was just giving you and :fax: shit.
Calvinball

Ran yesterday and got to the gym today. Considering I was hospital-bound for two weeks it was :notbad:

Running was tougher, only managed 1.44 miles with my ten minute ladders on the treadmill. I did hit 275 on deads though, they felt pretty good when I did 255 so I went for it and got three good reps at 275.

Apex

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:12 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:40 pm

I haven’t. I know what you mean though. I was just giving you and :fax: shit.
I’ll allow it.
SAWCE

Leg workout today. I left my gym bag and log book at work on Thursday so didn't have my numbers to beat for reps, so I just added weight to every lift and called it good.

Extension/Laying Curl superset: 185/95 x 15, 15, 15
Squat: 295 x 6, 6, 6, 6
Hack Squat: 290 x 6, 6, 6
Leg Press: 590 x 6, 7, 8
Seated Curls: 115x 15, 15, 15, 15
Single Leg ISO Curls: 50 x 10, 10, 10, 10

Called it a day after that. I thought my boss was having me come into the office at 1, so I needed to cut it short and didn't get my two sets of lunges in at the end.. got home and showered and finally at 1:15 he text me that he was running late :disappoint:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

So yesterday I had a decent day in the olde home gym.

Squats were ugly on the last workout so i don't bump the weight. They were less ugly yesterday.

Press felt good at 90 lbs.

Deadlifts. oh boy.

I been getting this weird tingly warmth after some of my heavy pulls. Dint feel bad, didn't get light headed... didn't think anything much of it.

So I'm doing 255 1x5 on my workset, i get the weird sensation on the 3rd pull.... 4th i get it but not as intense...
5th pull i got it up....and i guess it went down ok.... cause i passed TF out. I recall going to set it down then just being thrust back into a weird place...i'm on the knees, hands still on the bar struggling to keep myself upright.

I googled. It's apparently not uncommon, but clearly not good. Any thoughts on how to not to experience this again vs just being careful?
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:55 pm So yesterday I had a decent day in the olde home gym.

Squats were ugly on the last workout so i don't bump the weight. They were less ugly yesterday.

Deadlifts. oh boy.

I been getting this weird tingly warmth after some of my heavy pulls. Dint feel bad, didn't get light headed... didn't think anything much of it.

So I'm doing 255 1x5 on my workset, i get the weird sensation on the 3rd pull.... 4th i get it but not as intense...
5th pull i got it up....and i guess it went down ok.... cause i passed TF out. I recall going to set it down then just being thrust back into a weird place...i'm on the knees, hands still on the bar struggling to keep myself upright.

I googled. It's apparently not uncommon, but clearly not good. Any thoughts on how to not to experience this again vs just being careful?
Weird tingly warmth where exactly? (Sorry if I missed that detail in reading the post)
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Calvinball wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:13 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:55 pm So yesterday I had a decent day in the olde home gym.

Deadlifts. oh boy.

Weird tingly warmth where exactly? (Sorry if I missed that detail in reading the post)
Everywhere, but in the extremities a little more.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:26 pm
Calvinball wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:13 pm

Everywhere, but in the extremities a little more.
Don't think I've ever heard of or experienced this. Is it related to blood pressure maybe? I know mine goes through the roof on heavy pulls/squats. I take way way less stims in my pre workout before those days.

You wear your heart rate monitor, yeah? Does it only happen at/over a certain heart rate?
Calvinball

SAWCE wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:26 pm Everywhere, but in the extremities a little more.
Don't think I've ever heard of or experienced this. Is it related to blood pressure maybe? I know mine goes through the roof on heavy pulls/squats. I take way way less stims in my pre workout before those days.

You wear your heart rate monitor, yeah? Does it only happen at/over a certain heart rate?
Definitely blood flow related, since it’s throughout his body it’s not likely to be like nerves pinching.

Question is, blood pressure issue, or not enough oxygen in the blood?

:fax: pay attention to your breathing, do you end up holding your breath or anything like that?

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Calvinball wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:41 pm
SAWCE wrote:

Definitely blood flow related, since it’s throughout his body it’s not likely to be like nerves pinching.

:fax: pay attention to your breathing, do you end up holding your breath or anything like that?

I definitely hold my breath to assist in bracing the core. I've pretty much given up on the HRM, the thing has gone from bad to worse in its ability to track my HR.

Everything I'm seeing says its a sudden drop in BP from relaxing after bracing the core hard.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:45 pm
Calvinball wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:41 pm

I definitely hold my breath to assist in bracing the core. I've pretty much given up on the HRM, the thing has gone from bad to worse in its ability to track my HR.

Everything I'm seeing says its a sudden drop in BP from relaxing after bracing the core hard.
I definitley feel shitty after a set if I'm not breathing properly.. When you're at the top of a squat, or bottom of a deadlift, go through a full breath cycle and let your core relax on the exhale, then brace it again as you pull that air into your stomach and set for the next rep.