DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:36 pm Dude at my work has recently started working out/lifting. He claims he's already deadlifting 365 for reps and that he squatted 385 completely raw. He wants to do a max day on Saturday, so I might roll with him just so I can see what his real numbers are and how shallow he's squatting.
In4quartersquats
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:36 pm Dude at my work has recently started working out/lifting. He claims he's already deadlifting 365 for reps and that he squatted 385 completely raw. He wants to do a max day on Saturday, so I might roll with him just so I can see what his real numbers are and how shallow he's squatting.
:lolol: :pftch:

Thats alot of iron for anyone.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Apex wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:28 pm
In4quartersquats
This is exactly what I"m expecting. I know I can cleanly squat 385 ass to grass, so I'm really hoping to just go shit on him on Saturday. I won't say anything about his form unless he asks, I'll just do it correctly and let him feel stupid.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:16 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:28 pm

In4quartersquats
This is exactly what I"m expecting. I know I can cleanly squat 385 ass to grass, so I'm really hoping to just go shit on him on Saturday. I won't say anything about his form unless he asks, I'll just do it correctly and let him feel stupid.
Perhaps, but you can't cheat on a deadlift.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:19 pm

This is true. So that'll be where I see if he's just some naturally strong freak, or completely lying about hitting these lifts.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Block pulls doe.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Block pulls doe.
That or he has just terrible form and has been lucky not to injure himself yet. Maybe I'll see his spine squirt out of his back.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:30 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Block pulls doe.
That or he has just terrible form and has been lucky not to injure himself yet. Maybe I'll see his spine squirt out of his back.
Does the guy look like he can pull 350 plus or not? You know what to look for...even if he weighs 180 you have to have a certain about of upper back development, etc. to get it done.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:58 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Does the guy look like he can pull 350 plus or not? You know what to look for...even if he weighs 180 you have to have a certain about of upper back development, etc. to get it done.
No, he doesn’t at all. He’s about 5’9”, 230lbs probably about 30-35% bodyfat.

He’s a semi-pro bowler and claims that bowling has made the right side of his body super strong :yeahok:

The fact that he doesn’t look like he can do anything that he claims is the only reason I’m going, I just want to shut him up, cause now that he lifts he just comes to my desk all day to talk about it and brag.

The only lift I think he’s honest about is a 165lbs max bench.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Morning workout.

Deadlifts this morning. Went a lot lighter that I did with the trap bar focusing on form. 185 vs 250. And you know what? I can tell what gets worked more on a proper deadlift vs the trap bar.

I then did the complexes, I think it was D
upright row
cleans
backsqaut
behind the neck press
good moriings
rows

I then spent 10 minutes on the rower, and closed out with some barbell calf raises.

139 avg HR (not high during deads), 1 hour, 757 kcal. I spent the last half of that hour in at least the yellow and red zone for HR. I've been feeling REALLY good, and strong. :megusta:

Time to go feed :baby: .
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:50 am Morning workout.

Deadlifts this morning. Went a lot lighter that I did with the trap bar focusing on form. 185 vs 250. And you know what? I can tell what gets worked more on a proper deadlift vs the trap bar.

I then did the complexes, I think it was D
upright row
cleans
backsqaut
behind the neck press
good moriings
rows

I then spent 10 minutes on the rower, and closed out with some barbell calf raises.

139 avg HR (not high during deads), 1 hour, 757 kcal. I spent the last half of that hour in at least the yellow and red zone for HR. I've been feeling REALLY good, and strong. :megusta:

Time to go feed :baby: .
Yeah trap bar deadlifts should feel much more squat-like and hit your legs a little more than your back like a barbell deadlift does.

Good stuff man. Keep it up.

Had a good shoulder workout last night myself, then had the dude at my gym give me a little adjustment and some ART on my shoulders.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

I look thrilled.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

This home gym thing was a good move. Yesterday I'd have never made it to the YMCA due to mom's day & feeling of general shit from overindulgence saturday. But i got in a workout and it was good.

The HR monitor worked like crap yesterday, really pissed me off. whatever.

Doing sunday/tue/thur this week to keep up and EOD schedule.

I did squats and a complex workout with 5 extra lbs on the bar, and 5 minutes on the rower.

I also got some pullup assist bands for use in the gym. Because one day i want to do a goddamn pull up.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:04 am This home gym thing was a good move. Yesterday I'd have never made it to the YMCA due to mom's day & feeling of general shit from overindulgence saturday. But i got in a workout and it was good.

The HR monitor worked like crap yesterday, really pissed me off. whatever.

Doing sunday/tue/thur this week to keep up and EOD schedule.

I did squats and a complex workout with 5 extra lbs on the bar, and 5 minutes on the rower.

I also got some pullup assist bands for use in the gym. Because one day i want to do a goddamn pull up.
Yeah I didn't make it into the gym at all this weekend :( Two weekends in a row now. Can't let that keep happening.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Morning workout, did bench presses and rows with a few assisted pull ups. Heart rate monitor didnt work again.

anywho, 30 minutes lifting google fit says 383 calories. 20 minutes doing complexes and 10 minutes on the rower was good fro 511 according to google...total jives with what the HRM said even though it was intermittent at best.

Feeling wise it was very good even though I cant do a proper hang snatch or overhead squat and subed out moves...I did a clean and used a 15lb plate for overhead squats. But yea, pushed iron, felt great, progress made.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:14 am Had a decent chest workout last night.

205 on incline again. Got my first two sets of 10. Third set I got 9, then racked the weight for 5 breaths, pulled it off and hit my 10th rep. Fourth set was the same, but I got 7 reps and did three 5-breath paused reps to finish all 10.

That gassed me pretty hard so when I went to flat dumbbell press after that it was rought. Last week with 55s I hit 10, 10, 10, 15, all nice and slow and controlled with pauses at the top and bottom. Going up to the 60s yesterday I struggled to hit 10, 10, 10, 11.

Incline dumbbell flyes after that... stuck with the same weight I hit on them last time, and I'm glad I did, cause I was getting a pinch in my left shoulder at full extension. Cut my last two sets short by 1 and 2 reps respectively.

Machine flyes after that. First two sets felt good, then tried a new grip on the last one and it felt funky, but I still got all my reps.

Abs after chest then went home. Didn't do cardio, I'll get it in one morning before work or saturday after I hit legs.
Last night was very similar to last week.

205 on incline for 10, 10, 9 +1 with a rest/pause, then 6 +1,1,2 with rest/pauses to get to my 10. Felt stronger overall even though I technically did one less rep on the 4th set since I got 6 vs 7 to start.

Hit the 60s for flat db press again. Slowed them down even more than last week and got 10, 10, 10, 12. So felt good about that.

Hit a cable fly instead of dumbbells.

Then machine flyes to finish. 5lbs more than last time and still went nice and slow and got all the reps.

Wanted to see what I could hit on a flat bench at the very end of my workout. Haven't flat benched consistently since last summer or so. Did 225 for a single rep at the end of my workout a few weeks ago. Hit 235 last night for 1. In another couple of weeks I'll try 245.
SAWCE

Just ordered some knee sleeves from Iron Rebel. $80 minus 10% discount code I had. Still just about $80 after tax :doe: Went for the XL size. My knees are 16" around, but my calves are 17" :fuckyeah: Which is funny, because when I see my calves I feel like they're big, but my arms being the same size, look small to me. Maybe cause everyone has big arms and small calves, so I feel like my arms should be bigger.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Deadlifts and Complex D today. Followed by ~10 minutes on the rower. ~1 hr and 867 kcal according to my POS HR tracker.....

I also tried using my pull up assist bands but failed. I guess i need to do some more research on how to use them correctly. Oh i also did some calf raises but i need to rethink my setup for safety.

• Upright row
• Clean-grip snatch
• Back squat
• Behind the neck press (modded to regular press last 2 sets)
• Good mornings
• Row

Work out was good and hard, definitely gassed. I was 285 this morning.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:48 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:58 pm

He’s a semi-pro bowler and claims that bowling has made the right side of his body super strong :yeahok:

The fact that he doesn’t look like he can do anything that he claims is the only reason I’m going, I just want to shut him up, cause now that he lifts he just comes to my desk all day to talk about it and brag.

What was the result of this?
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:46 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:48 pm

What was the result of this?
I missed it. Drove up north to see Mama Sawce before chemo started up again.

He told me what all his lifts were, but I can't really remember, and until I see them actually executed I'm still taking it was a :fax: sized grain of pink himalayan salt.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Squats and complex B yesterday evening. Did my shoulder stretches to get the grip on my bar better/correct. I put 225 on the bar and ground out 4 sets of five with decent form, but those last few reps were getting ugly so I dropped the weight to 185 for the last set of five. All in all my squats felt great.

I then did a few sets of 5 of assisted chin-ups. I hope to one day do this un assisted, but for now giant rubber bands are fun.

I'm bumping weight on complexes again, 75 lbs. It was quite difficult, but the thing that really was running out at the end was my grip.

Pretty sure HR tracker is broken; it didn't track my HR worth a damn. Why is this so hard? :rage:

I was 281.3 this am. I'll log it as 282, but hey....might see south of 280 this week? :iono:
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:45 am Squats and complex B yesterday evening. Did my shoulder stretches to get the grip on my bar better/correct. I put 225 on the bar and ground out 4 sets of five with decent form, but those last few reps were getting ugly so I dropped the weight to 185 for the last set of five. All in all my squats felt great.

I then did a few sets of 5 of assisted chin-ups. I hope to one day do this un assisted, but for now giant rubber bands are fun.

I'm bumping weight on complexes again, 75 lbs. It was quite difficult, but the thing that really was running out at the end was my grip.

Pretty sure HR tracker is broken; it didn't track my HR worth a damn. Why is this so hard? :rage:

I was 281.3 this am. I'll log it as 282, but hey....might see south of 280 this week? :iono:
Band assisted pullups are IMO, the best way to progress to actual pull-ups since they assist you less as you pull through the movement. Try to focus on holding yourself at the top for a full second or two, and then lowering slowly over a couple of seconds, and you'll be hitting them with no band pretty quick. You have an added advantage where you're dropping body fat, so your relative strength is going way up. I'd say once you can hit 3 sets of 10 with a certain band, go to one that provides a little less resistance, or try to find a way to hang that one from a slightly lower spot so that it provides less assistance.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

My workouts have taken a major hit the past few weeks. As in not at all entering the gym.

But I was motivated today. I went in and started slow again.

As of today, I have managed to lose 30lbs on this deployment. I’m not even close to where I want to be overall. But it’s a pretty awesome feeling to know that I was able to lose so much this quickly. My goal was 20lbs and I’ve kicked its ass. A few more pounds and I’ll be below 200 for the first time in over two years. And amazingly enough even with zero lifting or cardio. I managed to lose another 5lbs. Im going to credit the walking I do and my diet which hasnt been too terrible. This was the kickstart I needed to get going again. 30lbs lost in just over 4 months. Lets see how far I can keep this going.
SAWCE

Shoulders are still responding well to the smith presses, and since I actually feel them working during that, I have a better connection with them through the rest of the workout. Picture was after smith presses and two sets of dumbbell lateral side raises. Did two more sets of those, two sets of machine lateral side raises, four sets of machine reverse flyes, and four sets of smith machine shrugs. Pump just got even more ridiculous as I went.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Squat rack was unattended but weights were loaded. I wait and look around, sure enough a guy comes up and says he’s on it, 3 more sets.

No problem.

So maybe don’t spend 7 minutes talking to other people in between sets when you know someone is waiting.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist: