DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:08 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:36 pm Lol. I used ON Gold Standard Whey exclusively for years when I started lifting. Tried some the other day and couldn’t stand the taste of it anymore.
Clearly the juice has changed your tastebuds. :lol:
:lol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

man, hard day yesterday in the gym.

almost got my ohp numbers, 147.5 for 4, then 130 4x4 for volume missed last rep.

deads...I guess I was not recovered. I repeat my last weight of 400, which last workout I got for a triple then a single. this week... got a double and a grinder single and I almost passed out after the single. dropped down to 315x5x2 for volume work.

I'm about to rework my spreadsheet so that my volume work is 70% of Max and light work is 60%

even though the struggle is real on the program...I'm definitely noticed a change. dropping bulk in the right places, adding in right places. So I stick with it for another month.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

well I found a bug in my spreadsheet. fixed. hopefully it didn't screw up my progress too badly.

looking at my training log over the past month, here is where I'm at on my 5rm:

added 10 lbs to squat (this is after a big deload due to my form breaking down)

added nothing to bench. but I'm definitely doing more work so it's laid a foundation for gainz I hope.

added 5 lbs to press. this is pretty impressive as the press is a hard lift to progress. 💪

added nothing to deadlift. :flaccid: but hopefully, like on bench, I've added more work as a foundation for gainz.

hopefully I'll see some results after dropping my volume work weight

next milestone is doing 1k totals on the big 3 for reps. only 25lbs to go.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:20 am well I found a bug in my spreadsheet. fixed. hopefully it didn't screw up my progress too badly.

looking at my training log over the past month, here is where I'm at on my 5rm:

added 10 lbs to squat (this is after a big deload due to my form breaking down)

added nothing to bench. but I'm definitely doing more work so it's laid a foundation for gainz I hope.

added 5 lbs to press. this is pretty impressive as the press is a hard lift to progress. 💪

added nothing to deadlift. :flaccid: but hopefully, like on bench, I've added more work as a foundation for gainz.

hopefully I'll see some results after dropping my volume work weight

next milestone is doing 1k totals on the big 3 for reps. only 25lbs to go.
:notbad: :fax:

Like you said, you’ve laid a strong foundation for future gains. :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:03 pm Image
:like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Although I switched over to Animal at :sawce: suggestion and so far it's been good. I just finished my first tub - cinnamon bun, it was yummy but ordered the big ass bag of chocolate for my next round, can't really go :wrong: with that.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:31 pm Although I switched over to Animal at :sawce: suggestion and so far it's been good. I just finished my first tub - cinnamon bun, it was yummy but ordered the big ass bag of chocolate for my next round, can't really go :wrong: with that.
:nice: their plain chocolate is a good flavor too. Mint chocolate chip, and chocolate coconut might be my two favorite from them. Mix a little peanut butter in to them :drool:
SAWCE

Shoulders felt weak the last two weeks, was barely improving on any lifts. Finally last night I broke out of the rut. 10,10,10,7+1+1 @ 225lbs on the smith machine for my press to start the night out. I should be able to get all 4 sets of 10 with 225 in the next 2-3 weeks. Upright rows felt good too and I finished my rep goal with 175lbs on the smith there. Side and front raises next, then two different exercises for rear delts. Finished up with shrugs and felt good so I supersetted them with more side raises using dumbbells.

Traps look better from the back than front, but they’re growing and I’m finally getting some width to my shoulders and that rounded/capped look too.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

struggle bus today.

stared updated program with volume being 70% of Max for volume.

holy shit, everything was heavvvvy today. intensity squats killed me and even 70% for 4x5 was struggle bus.
225 on the bench didn't happen for 5, only got 4. followed.up with a tripple after rest, the. did my volume work.

idk what's up. but I feel like my progress is stalled.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Got back to the gym this morning after feeling under the weather the last week and a half or so.

Gracias on the trapbar suggestion, I’m going to keep that in the rotation now. Thinking about squats on Monday and Friday with trapbar on Wednesdays.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

another difficult day yesterday. 385 for 5 on deads didn't happen, pulled 3, then 1. Nuts.

I did nail all my presses doe. but the 70% volume work felt really heavy.

I'm going to finish this cycle but I really don't feel myself making progress
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Another good shoulder day yesterday :fuckyeah: finished my 4x10 with 225 for presses. Added weight to upright rows. Same weight for side raises, but more reps. More weight for front raises, db rear raises and machine rear raises. Skipped shrugs cause got caught up talking about Arnold expo/bbing with one of the pros at my gym who just trains people and judges local shows now.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:32 pm Another good shoulder day yesterday :fuckyeah: finished my 4x10 with 225 for presses. Added weight to upright rows. Same weight for side raises, but more reps. More weight for front raises, db rear raises and machine rear raises. Skipped shrugs cause got caught up talking about Arnold expo/bbing with one of the pros at my gym who just trains people and judges local shows now.
Sucks about the Arnold.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:44 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:32 pm Another good shoulder day yesterday :fuckyeah: finished my 4x10 with 225 for presses. Added weight to upright rows. Same weight for side raises, but more reps. More weight for front raises, db rear raises and machine rear raises. Skipped shrugs cause got caught up talking about Arnold expo/bbing with one of the pros at my gym who just trains people and judges local shows now.
Sucks about the Arnold.
Yeah. The show is still happening at least. Would have sucked for everyone who’d been prepping for this for the last year to not be able to compete.
SAWCE

Solid bro day yesterday. Trashed biceps first, then moved onto triceps.

Hammer curls to start. We have a bar where you grab with your palms facing each other so you can curl them together instead of using individual dumbbells. Feels great. Four sets, goal is 10-12, took the last one to failure with 23 reps or something, so I can obviously go heavier for all the sets and will adjust next week.

Spider curls after that. 4 sets, 10-12 rep goal. 55lb barbell. Got all four sets and hit a few partial reps after the 12th one of the fourth set to really hit failure. These are brutal.

This is normally my last exercise for bis: banded dumbbell preacher curls. The resistance curve completely drops off at the top of a preacher curl since gravity is just pushing the dumbbell/barbell straight down into your elbows which are supported by the bench. To counter this, we anchor a band in front of the bench so when you’re at the top of the curl it’s trying to pull your arm back down in front of you. These suck. 15lb dumbbell plus an EliteFTS Pro Mini Band. Assuming I was pulling it to about 40”, that tracks on an extra 28lbs of resistance at the peak of the curl. 4 sets, 10-12 reps. Really had to fight for the last few reps on the last two sets. After rep 12 on the last set I dumped the dumbbell and just pulled the band which somehow felt even harder :iono: I got maybe 5 reps like that.

Saw an interesting iso-hold style finisher on IG yesterday from a guy I liked, so tried that out. You hold the weight where you’re mechanically the weakest on a lift for 30 seconds, then rep out 10-12 reps. 20 second hold in the same spot, 8-10 reps. 10 second hold, rep to failure. Used a 25lb barbell to try it out and got 20 reps on the last portion. Felt good. I was holding with my arm at a 90° angle for the pauses.

Moved onto triceps. Skull crushers were bothering my elbow, so tried starting with close grip bench instead. We used a football ball with the parallel grips and put a plate on each side. 10 reps for 4 sets. Meh. Shoulder didn’t love that movement either, so I’ll have to find a new heavy move to start my triceps work with.

Straight bar cable extensions, 4 sets 10-12 reps. Had to use a different cable machine than I normally do so wasn’t sure where to start. First set was easy so I added 10lb every set. Maxed out the machine at 146.6lbs for my last set and got 15 instead of 12.

Last triceps move was cross body single arm extensions. Recently started doing these to really target the long head of the triceps. They feel great. 4x10-12. Only used 20lbs and got all 12 every set.

Did a similar triceps finisher, but used light dumbbells for skull crushers since that’s what the post l I’d seen was doing. 15lb dumbbells. Hit each of the three holds and then I think I cranked out 23 reps on the failure portion.

PL buddy was bugging me to curl with him after that so I hit a single set of curls with him seeing how many we could hit with 25lb plates on either side of an EZ bar. I weighed the bar at 20lbs, so 70lbs total. I got 26 reps: he jumped up to 80lbs and for 23 reps or something.

Arms were toast. Surprisingly not too sore today. Must have been the breakfast burrito I had for dinner :fuckyeah: gainz.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

wow, another hard morning.

for reasons of time I split my press and deadlift workouts this week. presses went fine Wednesday, but today...deads... ded.

last week I only got 385 for three. then pulled a double after rest. So, instead of adding fahve more freedom units I wanted to repeat last week and get my fahve.

:nope: 385 for singles, 4 times. So I'm definitely not getting stronger on the deadlift. however I did fit easily into a shirt that has been too tight today. and pants feel looser, as well as weight lifting belt.

I don't know what to do guys. I'm 'pretty strong', and it'd be nice to loose some El bees. my upper body is actually looking like I have some muscle for once, so should I switch to a more cardio focus higher rep hytrophy program to build some mass and hopefully loose some fat and let strength waiver? Or should I keep on keeping on? Go back to 531 because it was working?
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:38 am wow, another hard morning.

for reasons of time I split my press and deadlift workouts this week. presses went fine Wednesday, but today...deads... ded.

last week I only got 385 for three. then pulled a double after rest. So, instead of adding fahve more freedom units I wanted to repeat last week and get my fahve.

:nope: 385 for singles, 4 times. So I'm definitely not getting stronger on the deadlift. however I did fit easily into a shirt that has been too tight today. and pants feel looser, as well as weight lifting belt.

I don't know what to do guys. I'm 'pretty strong', and it'd be nice to loose some El bees. my upper body is actually looking like I have some muscle for once, so should I switch to a more cardio focus higher rep hytrophy program to build some mass and hopefully loose some fat and let strength waiver? Or should I keep on keeping on? Go back to 531 because it was working?
Depends on what the goal is. If primary goal is lose the lbs, then yeah a hypertrophy plan with longer workouts and higher reps will burn a few more calories for you. Could also be beneficial to your joints to lay off the heavy lifting for a bit and let hem recover.

If you just want to get broootally stronk and aren’t as worried about your weight, go back to 531 or possibly a different PL program.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:46 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:38 am wow, another hard morning.

Depends on what the goal is. If primary goal is lose the lbs, then yeah a hypertrophy plan with longer workouts and higher reps will burn a few more calories for you. Could also be beneficial to your joints to lay off the heavy lifting for a bit and let hem recover.

If you just want to get broootally stronk and aren’t as worried about your weight, go back to 531 or possibly a different PL program.
yea I'll have to think about it. I definitely won't get more time to work out, so I'll have to take that in consideration with my goal
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:10 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:46 pm

yea I'll have to think about it. I definitely won't get more time to work out, so I'll have to take that in consideration with my goal
Switching to the hypertrophy program you could do supersets which would cut down on some of the time needed to do a full workout, and depending on how long you’re resting between sets right now you laughter not need any “additional” workout time at all.

If that does become the goal and more time per workout isn’t available then I’d look at increasing frequency with number time times per week you’re working out to burn extra calories, and other places in your day you can add some activity: little 5-10 minute walks around the building at work, pushing the kiddo in a stroller around the hood before bed, etc. Calories in would also need to be looked at, but those can only go so low before life starts sucking donkeydong so I like to look for the ways to increase output first and making sure that input doesn’t also increase as some people naturally do when they burn more calories.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:55 pm

Switching to the hypertrophy program you could do supersets which would cut down on some of the time needed to do a full workout, and depending on how long you’re resting between sets right now you laughter not need any “additional” workout time at all.

If that does become the goal and more time per workout isn’t available then I’d look at increasing frequency with number time times per week you’re working out to burn extra calories, and other places in your day you can add some activity: little 5-10 minute walks around the building at work, pushing the kiddo in a stroller around the hood before bed, etc. Calories in would also need to be looked at, but those can only go so low before life starts sucking donkeydong so I like to look for the ways to increase output first and making sure that input doesn’t also increase as some people naturally do when they burn more calories.
yea, I've been watching what I eat, especially during the week, cut way back on booze during the week and that's where my current losses have come from. Diet is definitely the priority but need to also try to maintain strength.... looking less fat / feeling yoked would be great too
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I got pinned under rep 1 of my squats after adding only 5 lbs from last week. redic.

I'm taking a couple months off from strength gains as my goal and refocusing on maintaining as much strength as I can, doing some cardio, loosing a few ell bees.

after that I'll probably go back to 531.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:55 pm

:notbad: advice.

I walk the parking lot at lunch for about 30 minutes most days as we have to be at the office 9+ hours regardless, may as well take the time. I feel better at work and it’s a nice little bit of extra activity.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Busted out the total gym today. Worked arms, good pump various sets of bicep and tricep exercises. Thing is amazing for what it is.

:chucknorristhumbup:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:04 pm Busted out the total gym today. Worked arms, good pump various sets of bicep and tricep exercises. Thing is amazing for what it is.

:chucknorristhumbup:
:fuckyeah:

I still need to order that Wieder piece of Amazon. Been getting pretty good workouts with just the bands I have :doe:
SAWCE

Back to the basics. Prison style.

Pull-ups actually really kicked my ass. 8 haven’t done them in over a year since right before my show so I was a good 40-45lbs lighter then. The square gate frame wasn’t the most comfortable thing to hang on either.