DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:09 am
SAWCE wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:00 pm Went and got some body work done tonight. Wanted to get just my back worked on, but gave him free reign to do whatever he felt I needed. The first thing me noticed was that my right shoulder was internally rotated, so he started on my right pec so it wasn’t pulling so hard on my shoulder. After that we moved onto my lats. Most of the work with his hands was bearable, but fuck when he used one of the graston tools to scrape at some scar tissue and more stuff around it felt like he was cutting into my skin. My lats and upper corner of my right pec are all black and blue now.

Range of motion improvement from a single session is impressive though. Laying on my back I couldn’t get my right arm all the way over my head before we started, but by the end of the session I was able to.

Do you train overhead press?
Not standing, but I do an overhead pressing movement on a machine on shoulder day.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:59 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:09 am

Do you train overhead press?
Not standing, but I do an overhead pressing movement on a machine on shoulder day.
I'm bar far not the expert here, but in the starting strength book they make a really good case for why you train ohp. A big part of it was back strength, shoulder mobility. Something about how if the beach press goes up without the press the muscles tent to tighten and pull shoulders forward reducing mobility and making you more prone to injury
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:11 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:59 am

I'm bar far not the expert here, but in the starting strength book they make a really good case for why you train ohp. A big part of it was back strength, shoulder mobility. Something about how if the beach press goes up without the press the muscles tent to tighten and pull shoulders forward reducing mobility and making you more prone to injury
Yeah I should probably switch up my pressing movement to a standing overhead, it’s just not ideal for building size. Maybe I’ll throw some in at the end of my shoulder workout as a finisher. Thanks mang.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Last pr week before I go on a diet and try to loose some pounds.

PR squat of 405. Might have been a little ugly, but I'll take it. I did 360 last cycle.

Benched 250.

Did drop sets to finish out the workout.

Tomorrow or Saturday I'll try for deadlift Max and press max.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:fuckyeah:
4 plates is awesome.
SAWCE

Nice :fax: solid squat number there for sure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Well, not enough recovery on upper body so no PR on press, felt weak af.

Got my 405 deadlift for 1.5 :doe:

Pull 1 was the half. Grip was failing so I had to bail.

Took a few minutes and used alternating grip for pull 2, and got that bitch.

Now...diet time. Advice for maintaining strength while I try to cut calories and loose some weight? 312 freedom units this am 😱
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:49 am Well, not enough recovery on upper body so no PR on press, felt weak af.

Now...diet time. Advice for maintaining strength while I try to cut calories and loose some weight? 312 freedom units this am 😱
Keep protein high, 1g per pound of body weight.
Keep lifting heavy.
Start your caloric deficit small: use what you’ve been eating and start by just cutting out 250 calories from fats and carbs. After you stop losing weight and your weight has been stagnant for two weeks, pull another 250 cals. Rinse and repeat.
Keep cardio high. The more you burn from simple shit like walking around, the more you can keep eating which will keep your strength up. Start by doing like three 10 minute walks every day. Try to get up to five or six of those walks.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:49 am Well, not enough recovery on upper body so no PR on press, felt weak af.

Bruh. 312 w/405 squat and deadlift? I'm going to start calling you Hoss. Thought about quitting your job, buying a bunch of black T-shirts and running a bar in the French Quarter?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Wonder if I’ll ever crack the 300s...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:15 pm Wonder if I’ll ever crack the 300s...
You won’t. :pussy:

:lol:
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:32 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:15 pm Wonder if I’ll ever crack the 300s...
You won’t. :pussy:

:lol:
:(
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:03 pm

Bruh. 312 w/405 squat and deadlift? I'm going to start calling you Hoss. Thought about quitting your job, buying a bunch of black T-shirts and running a bar in the French Quarter?
Lol it's not a good 312. Much gut, wow
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:10 am

Keep protein high, 1g per pound of body weight.
Keep lifting heavy.
Start your caloric deficit small: use what you’ve been eating and start by just cutting out 250 calories from fats and carbs. After you stop losing weight and your weight has been stagnant for two weeks, pull another 250 cals. Rinse and repeat.
Keep cardio high. The more you burn from simple shit like walking around, the more you can keep eating which will keep your strength up. Start by doing like three 10 minute walks every day. Try to get up to five or six of those walks.
That sounds like the basic plan, thanks!
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Had a close call in the gym yesterday. Did a good job of taking my smith bench presses to failure, did a rest/pause on the last set to make sure I really hit it. Moved on to decline bench, and my third set I failed on rep 7. Chilling with the bar on my chest, I thought I could get enough momentum to throw it up onto the lowest rack arm. Left side landed, right didn’t, so that side of the bar came crashing down. Luckily the plates slid enough to where they hit the ground right after the bar hit my face. Right on my chin, if it’s been an inch higher or I’d been an inch lower down on the bench it would have knocked out a few teeth for sure. Managed to slide out from underneath it, set it back up and get another 6 reps for my fourth set. Jaw is a bit sore this morning.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:39 am Had a close call in the gym yesterday. Did a good job of taking my smith bench presses to failure, did a rest/pause on the last set to make sure I really hit it. Moved on to decline bench, and my third set I failed on rep 7. Chilling with the bar on my chest, I thought I could get enough momentum to throw it up onto the lowest rack arm. Left side landed, right didn’t, so that side of the bar came crashing down. Luckily the plates slid enough to where they hit the ground right after the bar hit my face. Right on my chin, if it’s been an inch higher or I’d been an inch lower down on the bench it would have knocked out a few teeth for sure. Managed to slide out from underneath it, set it back up and get another 6 reps for my fourth set. Jaw is a bit sore this morning.
Being huge is not without its perils.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So. Old Man C5-C6 inpingement news. Looked up some physical therapy exercises, neck tucks, etc. to start getting some feeling back in my left index finger. The impingement is affecting the tricep then heads down to the finger. I've gone from 4 X 10 dips with body weight to needing 60 lbs. of assist to do 8. Starting to get the feeling back doe. Will be interesting to talk to Mayo doc about how to avoid this going forward, if I can. Beginning to think deadlifts are not really a factor in cervical area. Not sure about squats, researching. Not sure why it would be. Other than being old AF, I'm beginning to thing a likely culprit may be staring at my phone all the fking time.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:23 pm So. Old Man C5-C6 inpingement news. Looked up some physical therapy exercises, neck tucks, etc. to start getting some feeling back in my left index finger. The impingement is affecting the tricep then heads down to the finger. I've gone from 4 X 10 dips with body weight to needing 60 lbs. of assist to do 8. Starting to get the feeling back doe. Will be interesting to talk to Mayo doc about how to avoid this going forward, if I can. Beginning to think deadlifts are not really a factor in cervical area. Not sure about squats, researching. Not sure why it would be. Other than being old AF, I'm beginning to thing a likely culprit may be staring at my phone all the fking time.
Back squats could be for sure. Try swapping them out for front squats, or if your gym has a safety squat bar , that may help as well.

If you really like back squats and want to keep them in, I’d just go lighter and do higher rep or a slower tempo. Count to 5 while you lower the weight, give it a few seconds down in the hole, then a controlled lift back up as explosively as you can while maintaining form and not letting your hips shoot up before your chest.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:45 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:23 pm So. Old Man C5-C6 inpingement news. Looked up some physical therapy exercises, neck tucks, etc. to start getting some feeling back in my left index finger. The impingement is affecting the tricep then heads down to the finger. I've gone from 4 X 10 dips with body weight to needing 60 lbs. of assist to do 8. Starting to get the feeling back doe. Will be interesting to talk to Mayo doc about how to avoid this going forward, if I can. Beginning to think deadlifts are not really a factor in cervical area. Not sure about squats, researching. Not sure why it would be. Other than being old AF, I'm beginning to thing a likely culprit may be staring at my phone all the fking time.
Back squats could be for sure. Try swapping them out for front squats, or if your gym has a safety squat bar , that may help as well.

If you really like back squats and want to keep them in, I’d just go lighter and do higher rep or a slower tempo. Count to 5 while you lower the weight, give it a few seconds down in the hole, then a controlled lift back up as explosively as you can while maintaining form and not letting your hips shoot up before your chest.
Thanks. Will investigate.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:48 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:45 pm

FWIW I had some major back pain issues as discussed in here in 2017-2018 and they're pretty much all resolved, a big contributor seems to be switching to front squats at :sawce: suggestion. It's a little :sad: going down in weight by like half, but I'm slowly building those up now and doing 531 with them. Can aggravate the wrists :doe:
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:03 am

FWIW I had some major back pain issues as discussed in here in 2017-2018 and they're pretty much all resolved, a big contributor seems to be switching to front squats at :sawce: suggestion. It's a little :sad: going down in weight by like half, but I'm slowly building those up now and doing 531 with them. Can aggravate the wrists :doe:
Are you doing a snatch grip? I like the arms crossed in front of you grip, but that does get hard at heavier weight.

If you snatch grip and you have wrist wraps, you can use the wrist wraps to loop around the bar and then hold the straps so you don’t have to get your wrist bent back quite as far. Google search should show what I’m talking about. I think Christian Thibadeau was the first person I saw recommend that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:05 pm

Are you doing a snatch grip? I like the arms crossed in front of you grip, but that does get hard at heavier weight.

If you snatch grip and you have wrist wraps, you can use the wrist wraps to loop around the bar and then hold the straps so you don’t have to get your wrist bent back quite as far. Google search should show what I’m talking about. I think Christian Thibadeau was the first person I saw recommend that.
Yeah I can't really get it done with the arms crossed grip, I've tried. The wraps strategy is interesting, I will look into that.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Noted. This event has made me to a lot of research into cervical issues and neck position on both squat and deadlift. It's also made me realize I don't have the back of a 25 year old anymore, so it's time to start modifying my behavior accordingly. Live and learn.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Noted. This event has made me to a lot of research into cervical issues and neck position on both squat and deadlift. It's also made me realize I don't have the back of a 25 year old anymore, so it's time to start modifying my behavior accordingly. Live and learn.
Just saw something today along the lines of
“An injury shouldn’t be the end of a training career. It should be the start of a smart one.”

Work around the injury, build up muscle to support that area and prevent future injuries.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:38 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Just saw something today along the lines of
“An injury shouldn’t be the end of a training career. It should be the start of a smart one.”

Work around the injury, build up muscle to support that area and prevent future injuries.
Exactly how I’m. Looking at it