DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:23 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:47 pm

Does your back hurt when you squat on the Smith Press?
I've so rarely used it that I'm not really sure.
Combined with a belt, it provides a more controlled "environment" than a free squat. The downsides are probably some sort of lack of muscle stimulus but you're just trying to work out without pain.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:33 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:23 pm

I've so rarely used it that I'm not really sure.
Combined with a belt, it provides a more controlled "environment" than a free squat. The downsides are probably some sort of lack of muscle stimulus but you're just trying to work out without pain.
FWIW I do most of my barbell movements on the smith machine now. :aintcare: If you're looking to directly target the muscle it can be superior to a free barbell since you aren't worried about stabilizing, and you can take it to true failure without worrying about crushing yourself.

Solid recommendation from DesertBRAHrat and one I forgot to include in mine.
SAWCE

I hit cardio and sauna this morning, but I may pass on lifting tonight to give my body another day to shake this cold. Sucks. This weekend is likely fucked for lifting as I'm going to Santa Barbara with Michelle as a little anniversay weekend trip and I don't think she'd be stoked on me spending a few hours at a gym up there.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

D Griff wrote:
SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:34 pm Try only doing front squats? You'll still build massive calves, and since you stay more upright it puts less strain on your lower back.

Alternatively, either don't squat at all, or squat at the end of your leg day.

You're not a powerlifter, so there's nothing saying that you have to squat. Some professional bodybuilding physiques have been built with just machines for guys who had issues with squats.

If you really want to squat, programming them last in your workout will ensure that you're using a lighter weight due to fatigue and build up of metabolic waste during the workout and will keep you down in numbers that shouldn't aggravate your back while still stimulating your legs since they're doing work.
I think maybe the only front squats idea is a good one. I do like free weights/bar bells more and I'm not really trying to get huge or have an insane physique, I'd just like to look good and be stronger than most.

Front squats will be lower weight by nature and involve the back less as mentioned, I'm sure easier on the spine as well. I think they'll still be solid for building :massles: as well.
I did the same to my back in August. Didn’t go back to the gym until December, and didn’t squat or deadlift, just leg press and other back exercises starting low with weight. Back wasn’t perfect so I used the holidays as an excuse for another 4 week break. Now I’m on week three back in. Week 2 I did regular squats, albeit at low weight. This week I’m squatting a little heavier (205 for the heaviest set) and did low weight deads yesterday. Will report on back status later.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

honestly last time i tweaked my back on squats it didn't really feel better until I worked out again. I squat every session soo....

This am had a really good session, 285 for squats. 105 power cleans. poopoo presses at 105.

I think its time for 5/3/1 if i want to build more strength. curious to get the scale back so i can see if this month of diet helped lose some mass. It probably didnt :disgust:
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Too sick to lift yesterday. Sucked. Staying home from work today. Maybe by the end of the day I’ll feel well enough to go throw some weights around.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Thanks to everyone on the back tips... good stuff for sure!

@Brad, 531 was awesome for me, I definitely gained some solid strength with that and was surprisingly pleased on what it did to the physique as well. As far as diet... it can be tough to gain strength whilst losing weight, I wouldn't sweat those numbers, you're pretty strong. Keep doing it and working on the weight loss, you might not have huge strength gainz but it'll come over time.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:23 am Thanks to everyone on the back tips... good stuff for sure!

@Brad, 531 was awesome for me, I definitely gained some solid strength with that and was surprisingly pleased on what it did to the physique as well. As far as diet... it can be tough to gain strength whilst losing weight, I wouldn't sweat those numbers, you're pretty strong. Keep doing it and working on the weight loss, you might not have huge strength gainz but it'll come over time.
word.

got scale back. no change in overall mass :disgust:
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Finally got into the gym last night. Had a surprisingly good shoulder session. Woke up this morning for cardio and then hit arms and chest. Today didn’t feel as good, but happy to be back in there after 3 days off.
SAWCE

Took a little longer than I wanted with the weird back pain two weeks ago and being sick last week, but I got my 405 rack pulls last night for a clean 4 sets of 10.

Squats tonight. Debating just hoping up to 315 instead of spending a few more weeks trying to finish 4x10 with 305
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 am Took a little longer than I wanted with the weird back pain two weeks ago and being sick last week, but I got my 405 rack pulls last night for a clean 4 sets of 10.

Squats tonight. Debating just hoping up to 315 instead of spending a few more weeks trying to finish 4x10 with 305
Stick to the program.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 am Took a little longer than I wanted with the weird back pain two weeks ago and being sick last week, but I got my 405 rack pulls last night for a clean 4 sets of 10.

Stick to the program.
There isn't really a program for me. Keep my reps in the 6-10 range for compound movements. None of my 305 sets were below 6, so I could go up to 315 if I can keep them all above 6 too.. but yeah.. I'll probably wait til I max out the 305 with 4x10, then move up.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:33 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 am

Stick to the program.
There isn't really a program for me. Keep my reps in the 6-10 range for compound movements. None of my 305 sets were below 6, so I could go up to 315 if I can keep them all above 6 too.. but yeah.. I'll probably wait til I max out the 305 with 4x10, then move up.
Oh, I thought you had more of a set program. :lol: Carry on then!
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:35 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:33 pm

No sir. If i was powerlifting I would for sure. We just go by feel for bodybuilding doe. Coach wants me to keep my compound movements in the 6-10 rep range so I can go heavier, and then isolation movements are 10-12, sometimes up to 15 or 20 depending on the muslce being worked.
Calvinball

Gym was closed at 6 when I went. Roads were fine at that point, but turned to crap by 9ish.

SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:58 pm Gym was closed at 6 when I went. Roads were fine at that point, but turned to crap by 9ish.

:(

There was actually a road closed on my way to the gym for cardio this morning at 5.

Can't wait to get my own treadmill.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:33 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:35 pm

No sir. If i was powerlifting I would for sure. We just go by feel for bodybuilding doe. Coach wants me to keep my compound movements in the 6-10 rep range so I can go heavier, and then isolation movements are 10-12, sometimes up to 15 or 20 depending on the muslce being worked.
:like:
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:29 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:33 pm

I'll probably make a switch to powerlifting once kids are in the mix. I know it won't be fair for me to be spending 1-2 hours at the gym 6 days a week then, so I could dial it back to 3-4 days and do 531 or something. Get in and train my big lift for that day, then maybe 2-3 assistance lifts, and get out. Keep it under an hour.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:35 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:29 pm

I'll probably make a switch to powerlifting once kids are in the mix. I know it won't be fair for me to be spending 1-2 hours at the gym 6 days a week then, so I could dial it back to 3-4 days and do 531 or something. Get in and train my big lift for that day, then maybe 2-3 assistance lifts, and get out. Keep it under an hour.
Dis is why I want a place that I can build a small home gym. Power rack, bench, good bar, and plates. Donezo. Keep workouts to under an hour, and can do them whenever.

Then get the little one lifting when she's a teenager. :massles:
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:38 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:35 pm

Dis is why I want a place that I can build a small home gym. Power rack, bench, good bar, and plates. Donezo. Keep workouts to under an hour, and can do them whenever.

Yeah man, I really hope my kids see me lifting and have an interest in picking it up too. Would be awesome.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:40 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Yeah man, I really hope my kids see me lifting and have an interest in picking it up too. Would be awesome.
Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa..........................many many steps before crotchfruit. Let's complete those in a satisfactory manner first.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:40 pm

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa..........................many many steps before crotchfruit. Let's complete those in a satisfactory manner first.
Step 1: Spray
Step 2: Pray
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Control your inner Mormon.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:02 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Control your inner Mormon.
Just trying to put a Mormon in someone's inner's.

Really though, kids aren't in my immediate future. 3-5 years most likely. I'd like to be out of Cali before a kid comes along.
Calvinball

SAWCE wrote:
Apex wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:29 pm :like:
That’s essentially what I do