DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I really like throwing deadlifts in last for a back workout. Pre-exhaust everything else first, and then you can get a similar stimulus from the deadlifts with a much lighter weight which will save wear and tear on the bod and CNS.

I'm not doing full deadlifts right now, partial rack deadlifts with the bar coming to a stop just below my knees (I keep meaning to go a little lower and finally will this week). I do them second in my routine after barbell rows, and holy smokes I'm toasted after those two. Some cable rows and pulldowns, and then an old lat pull-over machine for some isolation work to really pump some blood back there and I'm done for the day.

Are you standing or sitting for that OHP? Standing was one of the hardest lifts for me to progress on. Seated I was able to push more weight since I had more stability and could focus on that drive rather than keeping the entirety of my body from being crushed by the weight overhead. Not sure if you're still going to a gym with the resurgence of the Vid, but if you are and they have one, try seated OHP in a smith machine. Feel free to send a video for form check too. One thing that helped mine as well was taking a slightly closer grip and keeping my elbows stacked under my wrists rather than letting them flare out.. your elbows should be slightly in front of your body this way.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:31 pm I really like throwing deadlifts in last for a back workout. Pre-exhaust everything else first, and then you can get a similar stimulus from the deadlifts with a much lighter weight which will save wear and tear on the bod and CNS.

I'm not doing full deadlifts right now, partial rack deadlifts with the bar coming to a stop just below my knees (I keep meaning to go a little lower and finally will this week). I do them second in my routine after barbell rows, and holy smokes I'm toasted after those two. Some cable rows and pulldowns, and then an old lat pull-over machine for some isolation work to really pump some blood back there and I'm done for the day.

Are you standing or sitting for that OHP? Standing was one of the hardest lifts for me to progress on. Seated I was able to push more weight since I had more stability and could focus on that drive rather than keeping the entirety of my body from being crushed by the weight overhead. Not sure if you're still going to a gym with the resurgence of the Vid, but if you are and they have one, try seated OHP in a smith machine. Feel free to send a video for form check too. One thing that helped mine as well was taking a slightly closer grip and keeping my elbows stacked under my wrists rather than letting them flare out.. your elbows should be slightly in front of your body this way.
Standing. I'll use these protips tomorrow is shoulder day.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:38 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:31 pm I really like throwing deadlifts in last for a back workout. Pre-exhaust everything else first, and then you can get a similar stimulus from the deadlifts with a much lighter weight which will save wear and tear on the bod and CNS.

Standing. I'll use these protips tomorrow is shoulder day.
:fuckyeah: Let me know how it goes. I'm hitting them Friday so I'll try to be more cognizant of what I do so I can report back with more tips if needed. You may see a slight drop in tomorrow's session being the first time with the new form and not being able to use any leg drive from the seated position, but once you get used to it you should start seeing your numbers move up much much quicker than before.
SAWCE

Breh mentioned this thread, and I realized I haven't posted in here in a while.

3.5 months post show. Body weight is sitting around 220lbs. I've been completely off all supersupplements for the last month, letting my body get back to homeostasis and giving my androgen receptors a break. I should have started other supplements to kickstart my natural production again after two weeks off, but being out of town so much for family stuff I haven't been able to grab it from my dudebro. Should be happening tonight. In theory, my levels are zilch right now, but I've still been maintaining strength in the gym, and I don't look too much softer. Hoping to keep that up through the post-cycle process and the rest of my clean-out phase, which will probably last another 4-6 weeks, and then be ready to fucking explode once we reintroduce the good stuff.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I pulled 500 last week. Felt really good to achieve a goal.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:32 am I pulled 500 last week. Felt really good to achieve a goal.
:fuckyeah: I hadn’t pulled from the floor in a while and attempted 500 a few weeks ago, but :nope: moved 455 for a double at least.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:32 am I pulled 500 last week. Felt really good to achieve a goal.
Nice man, that is huge!

I would likely max out at like 275 now :lolol:

I haven't tried to squat or pull over 200 since early 2020. :ohwell:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:12 pm
Nice man, that is huge!

Same. :sad:

But also I feel amazing, so eh. This Knees over Toes shit is legit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:13 pm

Nice man, that is huge!

I feel good and look better as well. I am probably done lifting heavy for the rest of my life. I have recently bumped squats back into the rotation though, mostly to build up strength around the joints/knees.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:57 pm

I feel good and look better as well. I am probably done lifting heavy for the rest of my life. I have recently bumped squats back into the rotation though, mostly to build up strength around the joints/knees.
If your gym has a leg press or hack squat, there's really no need to do barbell squats at all for building size or strength... unless you plan on competing in a powerlifting meet where the squat is one of the judged lifts. IIRC you go to Planet Fitness or your local YMCA, they should both have a leg press at the very least. FWIW the machine leg press at the PF near my parent's house has one of the best patterns for loading quads that I've ever felt. Plate loaded one is fine, but goddamn that horizontal machine one blew my shit up. Also, not sure what shit looks like for you as far as getting into a gym if yours are even open and something you feel comfortable doing right now, but if they are and you're squatting there, sub it for machine stuff and you'll still be solid. If you're just working at home, yeah squats are probably going to be best and you can supplement them with lunges.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Same on both of your first two points. I hit all of my major lifting PRs in my early 20s within 18 months of the end of my college hockey "career", then herniated my L5S1 disc. I was still an athlete that simply turned attention to a different activity, but as I got stronger and didn't move as much through sport, I lost mobility and athletic ability along the way. I wasted the next 10+ years trying to match those PRs again and aggravated my back every time I got close on the DL and squat. I lost more training time, was always stiff, and wasn't improving my athleticism at all. Now I'm running faster, jumping higher, am more mobile, and overall feel better than I have in years at 35. Lifting heavy is fun, but there are lots of dudes who can squat and deadlift a house who can't run or jump.
SAWCE

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:41 pm

Same on both of your first two points. I hit all of my major lifting PRs in my early 20s within 18 months of the end of my college hockey "career", then herniated my L5S1 disc. I was still an athlete that simply turned attention to a different activity, but as I got stronger and didn't move as much through sport, I lost mobility and athletic ability along the way. I wasted the next 10+ years trying to match those PRs again and aggravated my back every time I got close on the DL and squat. I lost more training time, was always stiff, and wasn't improving my athleticism at all. Now I'm running faster, jumping higher, am more mobile, and overall feel better than I have in years at 35. Lifting heavy is fun, but there are lots of dudes who can squat and deadlift a house who can't run or jump.
Running? What's running, Precious?

You ain't wrong though. I've lost most of the very little athletic ability I had in pursuit of Teh Gainz. Luckily, I don't have any athletic aspirations, so it doesn't bother me too much. I'll downsize a bit and get more mobility work in when we have a kid so I can be an active parent and do shit with them, but other than that I'm fine just getting big and being an immobile fuck :lol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:57 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:41 pm

You ain't wrong though. I've lost most of the very little athletic ability I had in pursuit of Teh Gainz. Luckily, I don't have any athletic aspirations, so it doesn't bother me too much. I'll downsize a bit and get more mobility work in when we have a kid so I can be an active parent and do shit with them, but other than that I'm fine just getting big and being an immobile fuck :lol:
Nothing wrong with that if you're happy and healthy my dude. :like:

I'm out there trying to make this 35 year old body stop pucks like it's still 18 years old, and that requires and bit of a different approach.
SAWCE

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:01 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:57 pm

Nothing wrong with that if you're happy and healthy my dude. :like:

I'm out there trying to make this 35 year old body stop pucks like it's still 18 years old, and that requires and bit of a different approach.
Oh yeah for sure. You've got to have a very different approach to training and health than I do for my goals. It'd be fun to get back into something like that one day; I've hopped on a skateboard a few times a fucked around with that, but can't do anything I used to be able to. That's something I'll likely pick up after downsizing a bit as well. Where we live now would have been perfect for it, there's a skatepark that's walking distance from our house, but just wrong timing and the risk of injury and being set back from bbing is too high for me to really want to do that right now.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:54 am
:fuckyeah: I hadn’t pulled from the floor in a while and attempted 500 a few weeks ago, but :nope: moved 455 for a double at least.
Oh dang, the gainz are real! Thanks dude
Nice man, that is huge!

Thanks!

I've done a 400 squat before too but cant now, regressed some after covid on all my lifts, DL affected the least thankfully. 400 sqaut coming back tho.

I need a new goal for 2022. im thinking a 500/400/300/200 dead/squat/bench/press 30lbs lighter might be a good one. the 200 seated press might be a bitch tho, im only at like 155 now.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:30 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:54 am

Oh dang, the gainz are real! Thanks dude

Nice man, that is huge!

Thanks!

I've done a 400 squat before too but cant now, regressed some after covid on all my lifts, DL affected the least thankfully. 400 sqaut coming back tho.

I need a new goal for 2022. im thinking a 500/400/300/200 dead/squat/bench/press 30lbs lighter might be a good one. the 200 seated press might be a bitch tho, im only at like 155 now.
This is always a good goal. Buddy and I had it back in the day.. 5 plate deadlift, 4 plate squat, 3 plate bench press, 2 plate OHP, and 1 plate curl since everyone loves a set of big biceps.
SAWCE

Taking a new approach to loading my sets. I’ve always done the traditional work up in weight each set, but I’ve decided to try just 2-3 light warm up sets to grease the movement pattern and prepare my joints, then hit my heaviest weight as my first working set, and back of the weight from there so I can still keep my rep count and time under tension high.

Tested it out tonight and I’m a fan. Took the 125lb dumbbells for a ride on incline bench press. Buddy spotted me to 8 reps. :notbad: considering that previously I had gotten 8 reps with the 105s. Hit 100lbs for my back off sets and got 10 reps for each.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:56 pm Taking a new approach to loading my sets. I’ve always done the traditional work up in weight each set, but I’ve decided to try just 2-3 light warm up sets to grease the movement pattern and prepare my joints, then hit my heaviest weight as my first working set, and back of the weight from there so I can still keep my rep count and time under tension high.

Tested it out tonight and I’m a fan. Took the 125lb dumbbells for a ride on incline bench press. Buddy spotted me to 8 reps. :notbad: considering that previously I had gotten 8 reps with the 105s. Hit 100lbs for my back off sets and got 10 reps for each.
Interesting strategy, I’ve never tried that either. Definitely would be curious to hear your thoughts/results over time.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:42 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:56 pm Taking a new approach to loading my sets. I’ve always done the traditional work up in weight each set, but I’ve decided to try just 2-3 light warm up sets to grease the movement pattern and prepare my joints, then hit my heaviest weight as my first working set, and back of the weight from there so I can still keep my rep count and time under tension high.

Interesting strategy, I’ve never tried that either. Definitely would be curious to hear your thoughts/results over time.
I’ll keep you posted. I know that a good number of pro bb’ers train this way.

Chest is definitely sore from yesterday this morning :megusta:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:02 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:42 am

I am kind of back to a 531 type thing on bench, press, and barbell rows, then I supplement with light squat/DL reps and a bunch of smaller movement lifts. I am typically lifting 2X/week now and basically doing all upper body + squats one day and all upper body + DL one day. :notsure: if it is the optimal strategy but it seems to be working well with maintaining strength and some :massles: while not tiring out my legs much for cycling/running.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sup y'all. I thought some of you might mind the training I'm doing interesting. Cliff notes are that most every movement involves taking a muscle group through a full range of motion under load. It requires a ton of regression initially but I am now getting to a point where I can start adding some actual weight again. I've become a massive believer in this stuff and just signed up to go through an initial conversation about becoming a coach. It'll probably start as a side hustle, but the goal is to eventually open my own gym under the ATG umbrella and do this full time. First step will be to start actually loading some of this in video form and starting an Instagram page to talk about all of it. That's not really in my wheelhouse, but we'll see how it goes.

Full range dips -

Full range chins -

And that was basically it for upper body work on this day. The session finishes with a lateral mobility circuit.

Piriformis pulses -

Adductor raises -

QL -
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Are those pics actually you?

:jimp:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote:Are those pics actually you?

:jimp:
That's me bruh. :lolol:
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:04 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:02 am

I am kind of back to a 531 type thing on bench, press, and barbell rows, then I supplement with light squat/DL reps and a bunch of smaller movement lifts. I am typically lifting 2X/week now and basically doing all upper body + squats one day and all upper body + DL one day. :notsure: if it is the optimal strategy but it seems to be working well with maintaining strength and some :massles: while not tiring out my legs much for cycling/running.
I think for lifting twice a week, you've probably got about as optimal a split as you can. You'll easily maintain strength/size with that, and could likely increase both if you wanted to train hard enough and add in more food.
SAWCE

Looks good Coog! Full ROM is always a good thing, and I think taking a step down in weight while "re-learning" some of those movement patterns is something most people could do more often. That adductor ROM in particular is :impressive: I have horrible mobility there and need to keep working that stretch.