DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:45 pm Posted on the Gram, but thought I’d share too. 1 year of back gains. Jan 26 2019 on top, today Feb 8 on bottom.

holy crap, :impressive:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

my last workout was shit. missed everything on reps, everything felt really heavy.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Hit 285 for my fahves on squat this morning. :notbad:
Actually starting to not feel weak and useless anymore. :megusta:
Got 2 sets of fahve at 130 on OHP and finished up with some curls at 60 for sets of 14.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

skipped light day and hit deads and press today. 395 for 3, and then 1.

seems.like I'm not really putting weight on the bar... Maybe I should go back to 531?
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

I jumped on the C2 rower for 30mins today. Holy fuck, could barely lift my legs into the truck after 6000meters. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:45 pm Posted on the Gram, but thought I’d share too. 1 year of back gains. Jan 26 2019 on top, today Feb 8 on bottom.

That is a huge back :mindblown:

:impressive: :impressive: :impressive:
:impressive: :massles: :impressive:
:impressive: :impressive: :impressive:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Thanks guys. Gotta bring these legs up to match them now. Coach and I are eyeing shows in mid-late December so I can start prep when I get back from Norway.

Current plan is to hit 250 by mid-June or early-July so I have some time to hold onto that weight and let my body adapt a bit before we start peeling off the fat. Hoping to end up 220+, but I’ll be happy with 215+. 215 would be a 30lb increase from my last show. Should be a noticeable difference on stage.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

well I'm doing my thing over here.

I think maybe I am making progress but just having trouble adjusting to program. Might need to go lighter on volume lifts or do a second back off set.

yesterday was press and deadlift day.

hit my 1x5 at 145 on press, and the 130 4x5 volume work. that's a solid PR on fahves for press.

deads... 400 for a tripple, then a single. so missed 5.
then 360 for 3x3 instead of 2x5.
maybe weights are so high and I'm so close to my 1rm I need 3's vs 5's?

last Friday
squats I reset some, and hit my 355 @1x5. then 315 for 3x5, then on 4th set only got 4. not bad.
bench press
230 for 4, and 4th was a grinder. I have yet to hit 5 despite drive up weight steadily, probably need to repeat this weight.
volume, 205 for 2x5, last rep was ugly af grinder. dropped to 185 for 2x5 more, and last rep was a grinder.

for lifts where I've had to delaod my volume work every week for weight or reps: Should I just deload it more to globally? I'm doing 80% of my 1rm for volume work right now.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:22 pm well I'm doing my thing over here.

I think maybe I am making progress but just having trouble adjusting to program. Might need to go lighter on volume lifts or do a second back off set.

hit my 1x5 at 145 on press, and the 130 4x5 volume work. that's a solid PR on fahves for press.

last Friday
squats I reset some, and hit my 355 @1x5. then 315 for 3x5, then on 4th set only got 4. not bad.
bench press
230 for 4, and 4th was a grinder. I have yet to hit 5 despite drive up weight steadily, probably need to repeat this weight.
volume, 205 for 2x5, last rep was ugly af grinder. dropped to 185 for 2x5 more, and last rep was a grinder.

for lifts where I've had to delaod my volume work every week for weight or reps: Should I just deload it more to globally? I'm doing 80% of my 1rm for volume work right now.
Well, Wendler's BBB program suggests doing volume work for higher reps at like 60% 1 RM... that's what I normally do but my strength gainz have been pretty :pussy: so :notsure: if I would recommend the same.

I really need to mix it up and try something new.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:58 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:22 pm well I'm doing my thing over here.

last Friday
bench press

Well, Wendler's BBB program suggests doing volume work for higher reps at like 60% 1 RM... that's what I normally do but my strength gainz have been pretty :pussy: so :notsure: if I would recommend the same.

Wendler is on the juice though so that and genetics are why he's a monster and you're not.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:58 am

Wendler is on the juice though so that and genetics are why he's a monster and you're not.
Yeah I have a lot going against me:
-don't eat enough :meat:
-just extremely unathletic by birth, no changing that
-I like running/biking and enjoy doing those quite a bit

:aintcare: really though, at least I'm not :fatty: and stronger than the average joe.
SAWCE

FWIW I agree with a lower load % for your accessory work. You’ve already done your 85-95% heavy work. Backing off to 80% is still heavy and going to wear in your joints. Plus at 80% you aren’t going to be able to get many reps. Dropping to 60-65% you’ll save some stress in your joints, and be able to hit a higher rep count which will give you a little edge for hypertrophy while still building strength.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:57 pm FWIW I agree with a lower load % for your accessory work. You’ve already done your 85-95% heavy work. Backing off to 80% is still heavy and going to wear in your joints. Plus at 80% you aren’t going to be able to get many reps. Dropping to 60-65% you’ll save some stress in your joints, and be able to hit a higher rep count which will give you a little edge for hypertrophy while still building strength.
thanks. I will start doing this next week
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:22 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:57 pm FWIW I agree with a lower load % for your accessory work. You’ve already done your 85-95% heavy work. Backing off to 80% is still heavy and going to wear in your joints. Plus at 80% you aren’t going to be able to get many reps. Dropping to 60-65% you’ll save some stress in your joints, and be able to hit a higher rep count which will give you a little edge for hypertrophy while still building strength.
:like: get up in the 12-15-20 rep range for your accessory work. Worst case scenario you run that for 4-6 months, decide you preferred the heavier accessory work and you go back with hopefully some extra size and endurance to grind out extra reps at the higher %.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:42 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:22 pm

:like: get up in the 12-15-20 rep range for your accessory work. Worst case scenario you run that for 4-6 months, decide you preferred the heavier accessory work and you go back with hopefully some extra size and endurance to grind out extra reps at the higher %.
Would you do higher rep BBB/accessory work with the same lift you go big for? I frequently do 531 bench and then 5X10 OHP and vice versa for example. Would it be better to just do bench with bench, OHP with OHP?
Apex

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:07 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:42 pm

Would you do higher rep BBB/accessory work with the same lift you go big for? I frequently do 531 bench and then 5X10 OHP and vice versa for example. Would it be better to just do bench with bench, OHP with OHP?
I’ve always alternated volume and intensity work.
You’re going to be smoked from intensity so you won’t be able to get the same volume you could if you did it on an alternate day.

I’d suggest intensity bench, volume press. Intensity press, volume bench. Etc.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Apex wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:59 am

You’re going to be smoked from intensity so you won’t be able to get the same volume you could if you did it on an alternate day.

See, i know im :wrong: for doing this but im doing intensity and volume on the same day. Mostly for the time savings. do a big 1x5 and then hit the volume work for 4x5 at lower weight.

I mean its working, the wife unit commented that my arms and back are noticeably larger after only a few weeks. :iono: It's just insanely hard to get more than 2 days to work out consistently (that are also at least a day apart) for over an hour each session. If I can continue to progress working out 2 days a week :aintcare: even if its slower than I could otherwise.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yup, that's what I've been doing, it also allows me to hit both twice a week. Just curious to hear what others around here are doing :like:
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:04 am

See, i know im :wrong: for doing this but im doing intensity and volume on the same day. Mostly for the time savings. do a big 1x5 and then hit the volume work for 4x5 at lower weight.

I mean its working, the wife unit commented that my arms and back are noticeably larger after only a few weeks. :iono: It's just insanely hard to get more than 2 days to work out consistently (that are also at least a day apart) for over an hour each session. If I can continue to progress working out 2 days a week :aintcare: even if its slower than I could otherwise.
Nothing wrong with this either. Hitting a big set followed by back off sets is perfectly acceptable too.

Different strokes, same end results.
SAWCE

I think either approach will work fine. If you’re just trying to get strong one may be slightly better than the other, but I think the difference would be negligible if you aren’t an elite level powerlifter. From my understanding of PL accessory work isn’t necessarily to build more raw strength, it should be used to address weakness or technique flaws. So hitting the same muscle group as you just hit for your heavy work seems to make sense since you just saw where those weak links are and you can focus your accessory work to target that.

For bodybuilding, I hit 1 muscle group a day (sometimes adding in a second if they’re related to get more volume for that secondary smaller group ie: chest and triceps) and I hammer it into the ground. So if you’re doing accessory work to add size, I’d do the higher volume approach I mentioned before and hit the same muscle group as you just did in your heavy training. A chest day for me for example looks like this:
Flat bench press smith machine 4x6-10 (this is going to be my heaviest lift of the day)
Decline bb or db press 4x6-10 (My chest is already weakened from the first exercise, so I’m doing something that has a mechanical advantage and I can naturally move more weight with, but the load is a little lighter than if I was fresh so I can keep in the higher end of that rep range for more hypertrophy. I’m also hitting the same muscle at a different angle to make sure that I’m activating as many muscle fibers as possible throughout the entire workout. Decline bench is going to target my upper pecs as long as I keep my elbows tucked a bit and don’t hit too low on my chest with the barbell.)
Hammer strength wide press 4x6-10 (again something that I could go way heavier on than a normal flat bench because of the resistance curve of the machine, but the wider grip and previous fatigue are going to limit my load and the wide grip is again changing the angle of attack to hit different fibers in my chest.)
Dips 4x6-10 (here I’m targeting my lower pecs and starting to bring my triceps in to action a little bit more.)
Machine flyes super set with pushups 4x10-12 with pushups taken to failure (giving my elbows a break from all the pressing with the flyes, I’m also able to get a great mind-muscle connection on these and squeeze my pecs every inch of every rep. The pushups are icing on the cake to make sure that no fiber is left I stimulated.)
Triceps extension 6x10-12 (arms are a weak point for me visually, so adding in some extra volume on my chest day.)
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:06 pm I think either approach will work fine. If you’re just trying to get strong one may be slightly better than the other, but I think the difference would be negligible if you aren’t an elite level powerlifter. From my understanding of PL accessory work isn’t necessarily to build more raw strength, it should be used to address weakness or technique flaws. So hitting the same muscle group as you just hit for your heavy work seems to make sense since you just saw where those weak links are and you can focus your accessory work to target that.

For bodybuilding, I hit 1 muscle group a day (sometimes adding in a second if they’re related to get more volume for that secondary smaller group ie: chest and triceps) and I hammer it into the ground. So if you’re doing accessory work to add size, I’d do the higher volume approach I mentioned before and hit the same muscle group as you just did in your heavy training. A chest day for me for example looks like this:
Flat bench press smith machine 4x6-10 (this is going to be my heaviest lift of the day)
Decline bb or db press 4x6-10 (My chest is already weakened from the first exercise, so I’m doing something that has a mechanical advantage and I can naturally move more weight with, but the load is a little lighter than if I was fresh so I can keep in the higher end of that rep range for more hypertrophy. I’m also hitting the same muscle at a different angle to make sure that I’m activating as many muscle fibers as possible throughout the entire workout. Decline bench is going to target my upper pecs as long as I keep my elbows tucked a bit and don’t hit too low on my chest with the barbell.)
Hammer strength wide press 4x6-10 (again something that I could go way heavier on than a normal flat bench because of the resistance curve of the machine, but the wider grip and previous fatigue are going to limit my load and the wide grip is again changing the angle of attack to hit different fibers in my chest.)
Dips 4x6-10 (here I’m targeting my lower pecs and starting to bring my triceps in to action a little bit more.)
Machine flyes super set with pushups 4x10-12 with pushups taken to failure (giving my elbows a break from all the pressing with the flyes, I’m also able to get a great mind-muscle connection on these and squeeze my pecs every inch of every rep. The pushups are icing on the cake to make sure that no fiber is left I stimulated.)
Triceps extension 6x10-12 (arms are a weak point for me visually, so adding in some extra volume on my chest day.)
:word:

I think I might change it up to doing the same muscle group based on this. I enjoy 531 for the big movements and strength gain but wouldn't consider myself a real power lifter by any means. Not really a body builder either as I don't want to be huge or put in that much dedication, but looking good is certainly a benefit/goal. I may just stick with 531 and start focusing my assistance work a little more like the type of workouts you're doing. Like for chest - 531 on flat bench + higher volume on incline, throw in some tris, dumbell bench, dips, flys.
SAWCE

Learned a month or so ago about taking a wider grip on my rack deads in order to actually be able to use and squeeze my lats. I’d been trying it at the weight I’d worked up to with a hip-width grip, but was struggling. Finally swallowed my pride last night and dropped down to 405 and was able to knock out all four sets of 10. I’ll work my way back up to where I was with the wider grip now.
Apex

SAWCE

Lol. I used ON Gold Standard Whey exclusively for years when I started lifting. Tried some the other day and couldn’t stand the taste of it anymore.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:36 pm Lol. I used ON Gold Standard Whey exclusively for years when I started lifting. Tried some the other day and couldn’t stand the taste of it anymore.
Clearly the juice has changed your tastebuds. :lol: