DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:02 am
Jaxper wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:50 am

:massles:

I can't wait for my knee to allow me to go that heavy again.
Using sleeves or anything? I left them off for all my warm up sets yesterday (135,185,225,275,315,365) and then just put them on for that max set for peace of mind.
Yeah, I use them. This is more related to a nagging injury from when I smacked it pretty good, head on, while playing with my godson - probably shifting it out of alignment a bit. That, plus tight hips, makes it unhappy. It has definitely improved over the last month or so though.
The panda hath arrived.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:fuckyeah: 405!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Jaxper wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:27 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:02 am

Using sleeves or anything? I left them off for all my warm up sets yesterday (135,185,225,275,315,365) and then just put them on for that max set for peace of mind.
Yeah, I use them. This is more related to a nagging injury from when I smacked it pretty good, head on, while playing with my godson - probably shifting it out of alignment a bit. That, plus tight hips, makes it unhappy. It has definitely improved over the last month or so though.
:word:

My hips are way less tight at this job than before since I actually walk around a good amount each day.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:51 am:fuckyeah: 405!
Felt good man. First rep was heavy, but moved way better than the last time I hit it. Almost didn’t try for the second rep, but I’m glad I did. Next month I’ll try to get a third rep.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

:sawce: question:

At what point in a 531 cycle should I test my Max?

I need to go on a bit of a cut cycle this fall to try and loose some weight, so I know in the weight room I'll just be fighting attrition.

But godammit I want to deadlift & squat 405. The spreadsheet you sent that I've used says that I should be good for that weight as a 1rm, actually a little more.

So should I do a 1rm test on like a week 3 or after a deload week?
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:55 am :sawce: question:

I need to go on a bit of a cut cycle this fall to try and loose some weight, so I know in the weight room I'll just be fighting attrition.

But godammit I want to deadlift & squat 405. The spreadsheet you sent that I've used says that I should be good for that weight as a 1rm, actually a little more.

Replace a deload week with a 1RM week? :iono:
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:23 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:55 am :sawce: question:

I would probably do :dat: especially since it sounds like you generally feel good enough at the end of each 3 week mesocycle to jump into the next and have been more or less going 6 weeks on then deloading. Hit your next 3 week cycle so you can have the progressively heavier weights each week and on the 4th week if you feel good, try the 1RM. If you don’t feel good, take a deload week, start the next cycle and try 1RM in place of the 1+ week 3 like you suggested.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:59 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:23 pm

I would probably do :dat: especially since it sounds like you generally feel good enough at the end of each 3 week mesocycle to jump into the next and have been more or less going 6 weeks on then deloading. Hit your next 3 week cycle so you can have the progressively heavier weights each week and on the 4th week if you feel good, try the 1RM. If you don’t feel good, take a deload week, start the next cycle and try 1RM in place of the 1+ week 3 like you suggested.
Sounds good, I'll do that. Thanks!
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:28 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:59 pm

Sounds good, I'll do that. Thanks!
No prob! In4 updates :excited:
SAWCE

Smashed back tonight. Added a rep on every set of 255lb bb rows, and obliterated last week’s rack deadlift numbers. Last week hit 7,7,7,6 as my first time pulling 435lbs. Tonight was 10,10,10,9. Pump was stupid.
SAWCE

Said stupid pump.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

New squat pr on weight, but only 2 reps. Felt super weak through this whole cycle. Did get my new bench pr of a proper 225 for 4 :doe:

I think I'll definitely go one more cycle before testing maxes
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Heaviest I ever got to last year (was the heaviest I’d ever been) was right at it just under 227. I’ve been flirting with 227 for the last month with some fluctuations taking me a bit below on some of my check ins. Finally broke it this morning and say 227.4 on the scale. Not a huge increase, but feels good to be setting a new record for myself especially with how much leaner I am than the last time I was here. Gonna push hard to break 230 by the end of the month.
SAWCE

Been doing “widowmaker” sets on the leg press. You pick the heaviest weight that you can get 15 reps with, and you’re not allowed to rack it until you get 30 reps or it pins your legs down to your chest trying. You can pause as much as needed with your legs extended, but you can’t lock them out that way the tension is still on the muscle even while you’re regrouping and catching your breath. Every time you complete the 30 reps, the next week you have to go up by adding a 25lb plate to each side, until you hit a weight that you actually fail on, and then you increase by 10lbs per side once you get up to the 30 reps however many weeks later. You do this for 16 weeks straight.

I started two weeks ago with 5 plates on each side. Got it without too many pauses, hit the 5 and a quarter last week which was much harder, then went to 6 plates yesterday and thought I was going to die. 6 plates and a 25 on each side next week is really going to suck. Going to really try to dig deep and hit the 30 reps though.
SAWCE

The rest of the workout for this leg day is:

Laying curls: 3-4 warm up sets, 1 working set with 2 rest-pauses where you set the weight down and take 5 deep breaths before going for a few more reps. Goal is 16-24 total reps.

Adductors: 3-4 warm up sets, 1 working set with 2 rest-pauses. Goal is 16-24 total reps.

Abductors: 3-4 warm up sets, 1 working set. 20-30 straight reps.

Widow maker leg press

Pause squats: 3-4 warm up sets. 1 working set with a 4-6 second pause at the bottom of each rep. 8-12 reps.

60-90 second weighted quad stretch.

Single leg curl: 3-4 warm up sets, 1 working set with 2 rest-pauses. Goal is 16-24 total reps.

60-90 second weighted hamstring stretch.

Will be interesting to see what kind of change I can get from my legs over these 16 weeks.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

That sounds miserable
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

It’s not fun at all. I’m hurting today for sure.
SAWCE

Went and got some body work done tonight. Wanted to get just my back worked on, but gave him free reign to do whatever he felt I needed. The first thing me noticed was that my right shoulder was internally rotated, so he started on my right pec so it wasn’t pulling so hard on my shoulder. After that we moved onto my lats. Most of the work with his hands was bearable, but fuck when he used one of the graston tools to scrape at some scar tissue and more stuff around it felt like he was cutting into my skin. My lats and upper corner of my right pec are all black and blue now.

Range of motion improvement from a single session is impressive though. Laying on my back I couldn’t get my right arm all the way over my head before we started, but by the end of the session I was able to.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:38 pm Image
Said stupid pump.
Goddam man. This is looking good.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Old man setback story. A big one You may recall me discussing an incident in January where I got back from a roadtrip to Vegas and I had some back pain, swelling, and noticed a major strength cut I had to work through for a number of months. Back with a vengeance in late August after a road trip to Jackson, WY. Went back to the gym, squat workout on Wed, subsequent minor pain in left upper shoulder, Saturday chest, Sunday DL, a clean workout, did not finish my 5X5 at 290 but good form. By next Tuesday, serious back pain only opioids could solve, then MRI, then, then then. C4-C5 impingement, steriods to reduce swelling, left side strength again decimated in the weight room. It's a nerve issue. Problem is how to avoid. Am I done lifting heavy weight, or am I done driving long distances in a car without stopping? TBD.

I'd avoid getting old if you can avoid it kids. Year 50 has been setback city.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:03 am Old man setback story. A big one You may recall me discussing an incident in January where I got back from a roadtrip to Vegas and I had some back pain, swelling, and noticed a major strength cut I had to work through for a number of months. Back with a vengeance in late August after a road trip to Jackson, WY. Went back to the gym, squat workout on Wed, subsequent minor pain in left upper shoulder, Saturday chest, Sunday DL, a clean workout, did not finish my 5X5 at 290 but good form. By next Tuesday, serious back pain only opioids could solve, then MRI, then, then then. C4-C5 impingement, steriods to reduce swelling, left side strength again decimated in the weight room. It's a nerve issue. Problem is how to avoid. Am I done lifting heavy weight, or am I done driving long distances in a car without stopping? TBD.

1) buy Tesla
2) sleep in passenger seat reclined with car in autopilot mode
3) load up on HGh!
4) profit
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:03 am Old man setback story. A big one You may recall me discussing an incident in January where I got back from a roadtrip to Vegas and I had some back pain, swelling, and noticed a major strength cut I had to work through for a number of months. Back with a vengeance in late August after a road trip to Jackson, WY. Went back to the gym, squat workout on Wed, subsequent minor pain in left upper shoulder, Saturday chest, Sunday DL, a clean workout, did not finish my 5X5 at 290 but good form. By next Tuesday, serious back pain only opioids could solve, then MRI, then, then then. C4-C5 impingement, steriods to reduce swelling, left side strength again decimated in the weight room. It's a nerve issue. Problem is how to avoid. Am I done lifting heavy weight, or am I done driving long distances in a car without stopping? TBD.

1) buy Tesla
2) sleep in passenger seat reclined with car in autopilot mode
3) load up on HGh!
4) profit
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:55 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:38 pm Image
Said stupid pump.
Goddam man. This is looking good.
Thanks man! I’m really excited to see what I’m able to do over the next 48 weeks or so before starting to cut for another show. Gonna work my ass off and try to put on another 10-20lbs of muscle in that timeframe.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

SAWCE wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:00 pm Went and got some body work done tonight. Wanted to get just my back worked on, but gave him free reign to do whatever he felt I needed. The first thing me noticed was that my right shoulder was internally rotated, so he started on my right pec so it wasn’t pulling so hard on my shoulder. After that we moved onto my lats. Most of the work with his hands was bearable, but fuck when he used one of the graston tools to scrape at some scar tissue and more stuff around it felt like he was cutting into my skin. My lats and upper corner of my right pec are all black and blue now.

Range of motion improvement from a single session is impressive though. Laying on my back I couldn’t get my right arm all the way over my head before we started, but by the end of the session I was able to.
I think I need some of this as well. My shoulder mobility has been :shit: lately, and my left hip is still being a sticky bitch. I can get it to loosen with foam rolling and stretches every day, but some myofascial release work is going to be needed for more sustained relief. Looks quite painful! Glad to see it's helping you!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:00 pm Went and got some body work done tonight. Wanted to get just my back worked on, but gave him free reign to do whatever he felt I needed. The first thing me noticed was that my right shoulder was internally rotated, so he started on my right pec so it wasn’t pulling so hard on my shoulder. After that we moved onto my lats. Most of the work with his hands was bearable, but fuck when he used one of the graston tools to scrape at some scar tissue and more stuff around it felt like he was cutting into my skin. My lats and upper corner of my right pec are all black and blue now.

Do you train overhead press?
brain go brrrrrr