Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:31 pm Image

That new bike smell lasted all of a week and a half. Dropped the chain on a Image day ride and put some nice gouges in the frame. :flaccid:

Oh well.
Hey, you got it out of the way!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

oh balls, that sucks. Is the frame itself OK, no creaking?
Any idea why it dropped? FD need to be tweaked?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:08 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:45 pm

Hey, you got it out of the way!
Ugh.

Still hurts to look at.

Rides great though, just a flesh wound. I’ve got a K-edge chain catch on order that should arrive tomorrow.

Also, the new bike lane over Delaware alongside the 295 overpass is :tits:
Looks like a great ride outside of the mishap, such a :tits: looking bike. Glad to see you getting out into the colder months too.

I did a ride around Charleston, SC this weekend and their bridges all have bike and pedestrian areas, really makes island hopping a lot more fun. I sometimes get nervous on bridges when there's fast moving traffic and nowhere to go but over the side if this hits the fan. Separated bike areas are indeed :tits:
Johnny_P

Maybe 2022 is the year JP buys a mountain bike.
Maybe.
Probably not, but would be cool.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:08 pm Maybe 2022 is the year JP buys a mountain bike.
Maybe.
I'm thinking about offing the Nukeproof and the Giant Defy and buying something gravelly.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:08 pm Maybe 2022 is the year JP buys a mountain bike.
Maybe.
I'm thinking about offing the Nukeproof and the Giant Defy and buying something gravelly.
I think gravel would be so much fun, I'd love to get into some gravel races. My hesitation is that outside of a few greenways, the nearest gravel is like... 90 minutes from me. :notsure: I would get much use out of a bike I have to drive 2-3 hours to use. Meanwhile there is 100+ miles of single track within 15 miles of here. Do you have much gravel stuff nearby?

What size are the bikes you may off? ... :plac:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:21 pm

I think gravel would be so much fun, I'd love to get into some gravel races. My hesitation is that outside of a few greenways, the nearest gravel is like... 90 minutes from me. :notsure: I would get much use out of a bike I have to drive 2-3 hours to use. Meanwhile there is 100+ miles of single track within 15 miles of here. Do you have much gravel stuff nearby?

What size are the bikes you may off? ... :plac:
Nukeproof Scout is Large with 27.5+ wheels. Fox 36. SRAM NX/GX drivetrain with Shimano XT brakes and Spank Oozy 395+ trail wheels.

Giant Defy is a M/L size with 105 11 speed double drivetrain. All stock on that one.
Johnny_P

Maybe.
Go for it, I find it to be a lot of fun. Note that if you go nuts with taking it far off road into MTB territory, it is kind of a lot on your upper body (read wrists and elbows) so there's that.

Yeah I dunno, I love my steel boat anchor.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

What else is new in the bike world? Hate tosay it but this thread kinda died when :mahtroy: quit us :sad:

I finished up my Raleigh build and it's a lot of fun:
1x setup with SRAM GRX 50T in front and Shimano Claris 8 speed 11-34 in the back, Tektro long reach calipers, Shimano 700C wheels, Brooks saddle, 32 GravelKing tarz. I have to say, I love this bike. I went out on it for a 27 mile ride this weekend and averaged 18.6 MPH, I was pretty stoked on that for a 27 pound boat anchor on nobbies. I also rode all over Charleston on it and did a local metric century. Man, the 32MM tires just ride so cush, it is a great chill machine. I might try some easy single track with it soon because why not :lolol:

We are still experiencing some nice days from time to time but it's mostly cold here now, went out this morning in 'feels like 27' weather and froze my ass off for 40 miles. The Ribble does feel pretty amazing still after riding the Raleigh a lot recently, but I'm still impressed by how much some semi-dece modern components really closed the gap.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:52 pm What else is new in the bike world? Hate tosay it but this thread kinda died when :mahtroy: quit us :sad:

1x setup with SRAM GRX 50T in front and Shimano Claris 8 speed 11-34 in the back, Tektro long reach calipers, Shimano 700C wheels, Brooks saddle, 32 GravelKing tarz. I have to say, I love this bike. I went out on it for a 27 mile ride this weekend and averaged 18.6 MPH, I was pretty stoked on that for a 27 pound boat anchor on nobbies. I also rode all over Charleston on it and did a local metric century. Man, the 32MM tires just ride so cush, it is a great chill machine. I might try some easy single track with it soon because why not :lolol:

We are still experiencing some nice days from time to time but it's mostly cold here now, went out this morning in 'feels like 27' weather and froze my ass off for 40 miles. The Ribble does feel pretty amazing still after riding the Raleigh a lot recently, but I'm still impressed by how much some semi-dece modern components really closed the gap.
I would share my Peloton graphs if I thought anyone cared. :lolol: But that's the extent of the riding I'm doing now with the weather.

The Raleigh sounds like a fun little sled. :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:52 pm What else is new in the bike world? Hate tosay it but this thread kinda died when :mahtroy: quit us :sad:

I would share my Peloton graphs if I thought anyone cared. :lolol: But that's the extent of the riding I'm doing now with the weather.

I would share mine as well but they just show cadence and HR because of the poverty bike.

It's a shame, I feel like my powah numbers would be decent, I am generally adding like 25-50% to the instructor's recommended resistance most of the time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:59 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:21 pm

Always fun to share.

I’m gonna start cranking out some miles on the Peloton starting tomorrow. Did an easy-ish 20 minute class Tuesday to get back into things before getting boosted, didn’t really notice any side effects yesterday so I went ahead with a 30 minute class at about 90%.

Taking a rest day today and tomorrow I’ll do a 45 minute suffer session.
id you do the 20 minute rock ride with that older white woman?

I did that one last night, 'twas pretty easy but I certainly got my :sweaty: on. I had been eating like a :fatty: but had very little time, it at least helped me feel a bit better about myself.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:06 pm

id you do the 20 minute rock ride with that older white woman?

I did that one last night, 'twas pretty easy but I certainly got my :sweaty: on. I had been eating like a :fatty: but had very little time, it at least helped me feel a bit better about myself.
20 minute ride was a House ride with Jess King, and the one yesterday was a 30 minute Groove ride with Emma Lovewell.

I gravitate towards things with a good beat for workouts, rock music doesn’t motivate me much.

But yeah, definitely feeling a little soft after 2 weeks off of everything. Felt a bit better after yesterday’s workout.
It’ll come back quickly.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Always fun to share.

I’m gonna start cranking out some miles on the Peloton starting tomorrow. Did an easy-ish 20 minute class Tuesday to get back into things before getting boosted, didn’t really notice any side effects yesterday so I went ahead with a 30 minute class at about 90%.

Taking a rest day today and tomorrow I’ll do a 45 minute suffer session.
Eh, it would be more fun if I was faster. I have a bit of :mahtroy: syndrome going on about being slower than you and Dan. Cycling hasn't been my #1 focus now that I'm playing hockey again, though, plus I've been prioritizing the weight room as well. 2 rides per week is all I've been doing, which is enough to maintain but not enough to notice any improvements. My FTP is still in that 210 range I think.

Here was my ride this morning. Super tough, actually, with two sets of 2 min Z5, 5 min Z3, and 2 min Z5. That last one was not easy at all, but PZ rides always make your output look low with that long 12ish minute warmup at the beginning.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:49 am Pelocardio has to be helping your hockey though, I'd imagine?

Also, I do 5 minute warmup rides before my classes so I can start at a higher resistance, and I'll also push to the very last second of the class then do a 5 minute cooldown ride. Makes a difference.
For sure! I think my latest approach to strength training has helped as well, but the bike has definitely made those longer penalty kills less painful.

I usually do a 10 minute warmup before I do something like a 20 minute HIIT & Hills class, that way I can come out of the gate around 200W and maintain that average the whole time. I'm bad about doing cooldown rides, though. For shame. And with the warmup built into the PZ classes I stick with that, my ego will just have to deal with it.

I'm starting the next Power Zone Pack challenge on Jan 3, which will ramp me up to 3 or 4 rides per week and finish with a FTP test. We'll see if I can can make some gainzzzz in the new year and get closer to my 250W goal.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:02 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:49 am Pelocardio has to be helping your hockey though, I'd imagine?

Also, I do 5 minute warmup rides before my classes so I can start at a higher resistance, and I'll also push to the very last second of the class then do a 5 minute cooldown ride. Makes a difference.
For sure! I think my latest approach to strength training has helped as well, but the bike has definitely made those longer penalty kills less painful.

I usually do a 10 minute warmup before I do something like a 20 minute HIIT & Hills class, that way I can come out of the gate around 200W and maintain that average the whole time. I'm bad about doing cooldown rides, though. For shame. And with the warmup built into the PZ classes I stick with that, my ego will just have to deal with it.

I'm starting the next Power Zone Pack challenge on Jan 3, which will ramp me up to 3 or 4 rides per week and finish with a FTP test. We'll see if I can can make some gainzzzz in the new year and get closer to my 250W goal.
It's really tricky to see big gainz without a lot of riding, I would say if it's helping with hockey, which seems to be your main passion/focus, then it's a win. I have certainly seen loss of strength and size from when I was pretty focused on lifting now that over the past two years I've really transitioned to cycling. You can do all of the things but it's difficult to be the best at any of them period, and especially if you're doing many disciplines. I think I just got bored with lifting after so many years. I still enjoy it, but it's just not something I want to spend many hours/week on, I want to get outside.

I think you deserve a lot of credit for getting any work outs in man, you have a lot going on.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:14 am It's really tricky to see big gainz without a lot of riding, I would say if it's helping with hockey, which seems to be your main passion/focus, then it's a win. I have certainly seen loss of strength and size from when I was pretty focused on lifting now that over the past two years I've really transitioned to cycling. You can do all of the things but it's difficult to be the best at any of them period, and especially if you're doing many disciplines. I think I just got bored with lifting after so many years. I still enjoy it, but it's just not something I want to spend many hours/week on, I want to get outside.

I think you deserve a lot of credit for getting any work outs in man, you have a lot going on.
It definitely seems like frequency and volume are hugely important for making cycling gains. I made some nice gains when we first got the Peloton doing 3 20 minute rides per week, but if I want to keep getting faster it's going to take more time in the saddle. There are no shortcuts.

Realizing a loss in size and strength would be tough for me. I'm already not a big dude, I want to hold onto the muscle I have. That 100% is part of the reason I haven't gone all-in on the bike. But man if you enjoy it that is all that matters.

And thank you :mahman:. It's tough to find the time sometimes, but staying active and fit is also a big part of what keeps me sane. I daydream regularly about quitting my job and becoming an Athletic Truth Group coach (the Knees Over Toes stuff). But I'm too big of a chicken to go all-in on something like that and make that kind of bet on myself.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:59 am :dat:

You should see some crossover with lifting/hockey and power, but endurance will certainly hurt. That's why you can put out some big sprint numbers but your Peloton power averages are lower.

Nothing to be ashamed of. Plus yeah, 3 kids... you're at least doing something.
Plus I've never been an endurance athlete to begin with, but my FTP is still up close to 20% over where I started. That's not nothing.

I do enjoy me some sprinting. :hubba:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:34 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:14 am It's really tricky to see big gainz without a lot of riding, I would say if it's helping with hockey, which seems to be your main passion/focus, then it's a win. I have certainly seen loss of strength and size from when I was pretty focused on lifting now that over the past two years I've really transitioned to cycling. You can do all of the things but it's difficult to be the best at any of them period, and especially if you're doing many disciplines. I think I just got bored with lifting after so many years. I still enjoy it, but it's just not something I want to spend many hours/week on, I want to get outside.

It definitely seems like frequency and volume are hugely important for making cycling gains. I made some nice gains when we first got the Peloton doing 3 20 minute rides per week, but if I want to keep getting faster it's going to take more time in the saddle. There are no shortcuts.

Realizing a loss in size and strength would be tough for me. I'm already not a big dude, I want to hold onto the muscle I have. That 100% is part of the reason I haven't gone all-in on the bike. But man if you enjoy it that is all that matters.

And thank you :mahman:. It's tough to find the time sometimes, but staying active and fit is also a big part of what keeps me sane. I daydream regularly about quitting my job and becoming an Athletic Truth Group coach (the Knees Over Toes stuff). But I'm too big of a chicken to go all-in on something like that and make that kind of bet on myself.
Yep, just like [user not found] said, the endurance takes a lot of building up, but it certainly goes across multiple sports. I ran for years but never really more than 6-8 miles at a time. Pretty much stopped running for two years and only cycled, but recently started back running as it's less shitty in the cold. After a week or two I was easily able to go out and do a half marathon, I attribute that 100% to the cycling endurance gainz.

I hear you on the sanity thing, I need to be active or I lose my mind, particularly now that I am just in my damn house 24/7 pretty much.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:impressive: as always, :mahman:
Johnny_P

Oh I bought a helmet.
Smith Persist MIPS. It's comfy, and protects more of my temples and back of my head. Will see how it vents in hotter weather but I'm happy.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It was a nice 60F this morning but the roads were wet, so I took the Raleigh out since it was already dirty and the gravel tires are a little more confidence inspiring on the road.

Kind of shocking how not dangerously slow this thing is. :notsure: on the power/wattage. I have it classified as a cross bike now, gravel was even higher calories/wattage, road is too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:46 am Interesting, I wasn't aware of bike classifications changing estimated power. :themoreyouknow:
It makes sense, the same 40 miles on a mountain bike versus a road bike at the same speed is way more power. I just wish I had some insight into the algorithm. I did a similar ride on the Ribble earlier this week and the delta in power/calories seems far too large IMO. I don't really care about the powah, although it's fun to see high numbers. I do use the calories to a degree to determine diet, so I'm :notsure: what to believe.

Like, I'm assuming it would be Mountain > Gravel > Cross > Road for power output over the same ride, but I don't know if that is indeed the case.

I'll post up the Ribble ride for :science:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Wow, so a similar ride, almost the identical speed, but a 47% increase in the power estimate by being on the "gravel bike". :notsure:

Gravel bikes are slower, but that seems like way too big of a delta.