Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:37 pm You do realize that he is a freak of nature that actually borders on semi/pro athlete territory, right?

I’ve ridden with him for several years. He is not human and it’s demoralizing.
Also :dat:

His last FTP test result was a little more than 50% higher than my last. I could dedicate my life to cycling and it would take me years to get there, if I ever could at all.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

More nothing happening here, maybe this thing can pull 16 mph. Image
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:58 pm More nothing happening here, maybe this thing can pull 16 mph. Image
If you ride it like that you’re going to feel an uncomfortable eight inches…
Zillon
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: 🌮

fledonfoot wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:58 pm More nothing happening here, maybe this thing can pull 16 mph. Image
Super aero, :doe:
Garage: 2013 Terrorist 🌮 | 2006 :jizz: rocket
Got a parts itch that needs scratchin'? Hit me up: Momentum Worx
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:31 pm
Become one with the bike.
Zillon

Didn’t ride all weekend, decided to be lazy and take a weekend off and do some other stuff. Played video games, got some much needed sleep, and saved the riding for today, since I had the day off.

Initially I had planned out a route that was 100 miles on the nose to go steal some Strava KOMs back across the river in PA, but with a swirling headwind today, and legs that felt tight and slow, I decided to cut it a little shorter.

I did manage to set new PRs on some old haunts and I did steal one KOM back, but the legs weren’t feeling up for much after those early efforts. I need to get back to hitting the intervals on the Peloton every week.

coogles

Week 3 steps up the intensity a little bit, with zone 4 and zone 5 intervals on day 1. Zone 4 tops out at ~220W for me, Zone 5 ~250, and I was aiming to be at the top of those zones for all of the working sets. Holding 220W seems like maybe it’s getting a little bit easier? Tough to tell, with most of the work having been at lower outputs so far. Part of me thinks the program is leaving something on the table by spending so much time in zones 2&3 when, if the goal is to produce a higher average output over 20 minutes, we could instead be spending more time working zones 4&5. Admittedly I haven’t done any reading around the science behind power zone training, but intuitively it seems one would need to train above threshold power in order to improve it.

troyguitar

Internal cable routing is a pain in the ass. Dunno if I'll be able to test ride this thing today.

Also I'm apparently missing some kind of grommet or end cap where the rear shift cable comes out near the derailleur. A quick Google shows no such part called out by name from Liv/Giant. :thisisfine:
coogles

I don't think I'll do it this year, but next year I'm for sure registering for the Hilly Hundred.

http://www.hillyhundred.org/index.html

~50 & 53 miles on a Saturday and Sunday, 2,500 ft. of climbing the first day and 3,000 ft. the second.

Ride maps:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28446758
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28576315

Once I get a 250W FTP test I'm planning to sign up for my first crit too. I'll start at the lowest level for sure (category 5?), but it's sort of something I've put on my bucket list. We'll see how close I can get in 2.5 weeks. :popcorn:
coogles

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:39 pm Internal cable routing is a pain in the ass. Dunno if I'll be able to test ride this thing today.

Also I'm apparently missing some kind of grommet or end cap where the rear shift cable comes out near the derailleur. A quick Google shows no such part called out by name from Liv/Giant. :thisisfine:
in4firstrideimpressions
troyguitar

No rides yet but I finally got it ready for a test. :popcorn:

troyguitar

It also weighs about 16.5 lbs as pictured which is :notbad: on a moderate budget. Fancier :ramz: and cassette could drop another pound, otherwise there's not a hell of a lot of room to get lighter without spending big $$ on dura-ace shit.
troyguitar

First test in the books, no major issues other than my half-assed rubber grommet solution for the shift cable slowly failing. I need to figure out what part actually goes there soon, for now I put a random plastic washer over it to keep it in place-ish.

The bike is definitely faster for the same effort and more fun in general. I still only did 17 mph at 170 bpm but that beats 16 on the same route last week for a similar effort... braking, accelerating, climbing, descending (such as it exists here) are all quite a bit easier/better. Crosswinds are a lot more noticeable but will hopefully be not bad enough to be dangerous.

Ultegra R8020 shifting is absolutely no better than Claris R2000. If anything it might even be slightly worse to be honest. The only reason to get this groupset is to have hydraulic disc brakes with levers that have adjustments for both reach and free stroke - which is valuable to me but somewhat annoying that it costs so much to get those features.

I think that the only part I'd do differently so far is to get a smaller/lighter cassette and perhaps the short cage derailleur to go with it. 11-36 seems like way more than I need on a fast bike. The biggest gear I used today was 25. :ohwell: I'll ride it as-is for awhile before making that kind of change.

Also 25mm GP5000TL on a stiff carbon bike is really no different in comfort than 25 or 32mm on the floppy aluminum one, assuming pressures are adjusted about right. Bumps still suck but not unbearably so. I might cancel my backordered 28mm's and stick to 25 at this point for the weight/aero benefits.

:whocares:
Zillon

Bike looks rad Troy.

I think you'll find the shifting will crisp up a bit once you get that grommet sorted and also if you size down the cassette/shorten the chain length. That being said, it should get better as the chain wears in a tiny bit and the cables stretch out a bit and you re-tune it.

Call a Giant shop and tell them about your situation and see if they can help you find the right part you need.
Zillon

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:30 am I don't think I'll do it this year, but next year I'm for sure registering for the Hilly Hundred.

http://www.hillyhundred.org/index.html

~50 & 53 miles on a Saturday and Sunday, 2,500 ft. of climbing the first day and 3,000 ft. the second.

Ride maps:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28446758
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28576315

Once I get a 250W FTP test I'm planning to sign up for my first crit too. I'll start at the lowest level for sure (category 5?), but it's sort of something I've put on my bucket list. We'll see how close I can get in 2.5 weeks. :popcorn:
Hell yeah. Some crit beef will toughen those legs up for sure.

See if you can find a practice crit nearby, too - one of the biggest challenges with lower level crits aside from cornering, will be the yo-yoing in pace. It'll nuke your legs.
coogles

Zillon wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:43 pm Hell yeah. Some crit beef will toughen those legs up for sure.

See if you can find a practice crit nearby, too - one of the biggest challenges with lower level crits aside from cornering, will be the yo-yoing in pace. It'll nuke your legs.
This race is a perfect example of that yo-yoing in a lower level crit. The host of the channel/coach recommended getting in front of the pack early if possible so you can ride at a more consistent, manageable pace rather than sprint/brake/sprint/brake and get blown up early.

troyguitar

FWIW the only guy I know doing crits right now is getting his ass kicked in the 250W range. The cat5 leaders are averaging 28 mph... So you need to be faster than fucking hell to hang in the "beginner" class. I'd be hopelessly left behind in 30 seconds.
coogles

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:20 am FWIW the only guy I know doing crits right now is getting his ass kicked in the 250W range. The cat5 leaders are averaging 28 mph... So you need to be faster than fucking hell to hang in the "beginner" class. I'd be hopelessly left behind in 30 seconds.
Womp womp. I guess there’s only one way to find out.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:20 am FWIW the only guy I know doing crits right now is getting his ass kicked in the 250W range. The cat5 leaders are averaging 28 mph... So you need to be faster than fucking hell to hang in the "beginner" class. I'd be hopelessly left behind in 30 seconds.
Womp womp. I guess there’s only one way to find out.
It might not be so crazy near you. He's in CO where cyclists apparently only range from Zil-spec up to world tour pros. If you're slower than that I guess you sit home and smoke weed instead?
Zillon

Only way to get stronger is to get blown out the back until you don't.

Practice crits are great for this. Get blown up, sit up, wait for them to come around again and jump in again until you blow up again. Rinse and repeat. Eventually you'll get better at a few things:

1) Reading the pack
2) Maintaining a steady cadence
3) Power
4) Sprinting
5) Cornering
troyguitar

Zillon wrote:

Practice crits are great for this. Get blown up, sit up, wait for them to come around again and jump in again until you blow up again. Rinse and repeat. Eventually you'll get better at a few things:

1) Reading the pack
3) Power
4) Sprinting
5) Cornering
I mean, sure, but at 28 mph I can't do anything besides sprint for 30 seconds... You need to have a base level of speed at least in the ballpark before there's any point in riding with faster people.

Like me riding with you would be a waste of both of our time. You'd be at 60 bpm bored while I'm 180 bpm dying, neither of us gaining anything.
coogles

Zillon wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:05 pm

1) Reading the pack
3) Power
4) Sprinting
5) Cornering
Unfortunately I don’t know of any practice crits, but I’ll certainly look. I do have a really nice training loop close to me that I’ll be putting to good use once this 5 week program is over.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:12 pm
Zillon wrote:

1) Reading the pack
3) Power
4) Sprinting
5) Cornering
I mean, sure, but at 28 mph I can't do anything besides sprint for 30 seconds... You need to have a base level of speed at least in the ballpark before there's any point in riding with faster people.

Like me riding with you would be a waste of both of our time. You'd be at 60 bpm bored while I'm 180 bpm dying, neither of us gaining anything.
Maybe move to somewhere with hills, maybe New York, and get stronger? :iono:

:trollface:
Zillon

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:14 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:12 pm I mean, sure, but at 28 mph I can't do anything besides sprint for 30 seconds... You need to have a base level of speed at least in the ballpark before there's any point in riding with faster people.

Maybe move to somewhere with hills, maybe New York, and get stronger? :iono:

:trollface:
:lolol:

Practice crits are a good way for anyone to show up and throw down and get stronger, and learn a few things.

I know of a handful around me - NE Philly Airport Tuesday night crit, Trexlertown Thursday night crits, Great Valley 30 training crit, Greentree training crit.

I bet if you loaded up the Strava heatmap on route builder and cruised around some office parks, you'd find a training crit. It'd be a super solid/bright heatmap loop.
Zillon

Rode some expensive bikes today. That was a mistake.