Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
User avatar
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 am
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Location: Indianapolis

User avatar
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 am
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Location: Indianapolis

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:52 am https://www.theproscloset.com/products/ ... vanced-1-m

~$1k more than they gave me. :notbad:
And sold. That was fast. :impressive:

I hopped on the Emonda ALR 5 today. I dunno, I didn't care for it much. Maybe it's because I have the Peloton set up so upright and because I rode the FX not too long ago, but I found the riding position really uncomfortable and the ride brutal. Maybe it's the 25s on the Emonda vs 32s on the FX, or maybe it's the contrast from having been on the Aethos last. No idea, but I remain road bike-less.
User avatar
Zillon
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 27204
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:11 pm
Drives: 🌮
Location: Dirty JerZ

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:36 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:52 am https://www.theproscloset.com/products/ ... vanced-1-m

~$1k more than they gave me. :notbad:
And sold. That was fast. :impressive:

I hopped on the Emonda ALR 5 today. I dunno, I didn't care for it much. Maybe it's because I have the Peloton set up so upright and because I rode the FX not too long ago, but I found the riding position really uncomfortable and the ride brutal. Maybe it's the 25s on the Emonda vs 32s on the FX, or maybe it's the contrast from having been on the Aethos last. No idea, but I remain road bike-less.
Sounds like you need a Domane/Synapse.
Garage: 2013 Terrorist 🌮 | 2006 :jizz: rocket
Got a parts itch that needs scratchin'? Hit me up: Momentum Worx
User avatar
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 am
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Location: Indianapolis

Zillon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:14 pmSounds like you need a Domane/Synapse.
I think I’m just a :pussy: I’m only 34 and about 1” from being able to bend over and out my palms flat on the floor ice cold. I should be able to ride a regular road bike. It’d probably fine with some tubeless 28s, I dunno.
User avatar
Zillon
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 27204
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:11 pm
Drives: 🌮
Location: Dirty JerZ

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:07 pm
Zillon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:14 pmSounds like you need a Domane/Synapse.
I think I’m just a :pussy: I’m only 34 and about 1” from being able to bend over and out my palms flat on the floor ice cold. I should be able to ride a regular road bike. It’d probably fine with some tubeless 28s, I dunno.
Start doing some yoga to improve core strength/flexibility and start tweaking your Peloton position a bit. See if you can become comfortable with a more aggressive fit.
Garage: 2013 Terrorist 🌮 | 2006 :jizz: rocket
Got a parts itch that needs scratchin'? Hit me up: Momentum Worx
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21774
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:07 pm
Zillon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:14 pmSounds like you need a Domane/Synapse.
I think I’m just a :pussy: I’m only 34 and about 1” from being able to bend over and out my palms flat on the floor ice cold. I should be able to ride a regular road bike. It’d probably fine with some tubeless 28s, I dunno.
:iono: I think it just takes some getting used to... When I first started riding my Raleigh, I thought it was absolutely terrible and that drop bars were the worst because of the discomfort/lack of visibility. Now I find anything upright :disgust:

:iono: I think you just sort of have to pull the trigger at a certain point.
User avatar
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 am
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Location: Indianapolis

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:55 pm :iono: I think it just takes some getting used to... When I first started riding my Raleigh, I thought it was absolutely terrible and that drop bars were the worst because of the discomfort/lack of visibility. Now I find anything upright :disgust:

:iono: I think you just sort of have to pull the trigger at a certain point.
You might be right. I just have so little experience on a road bike, and what little I do have was pretty negative so I'm afraid to take a leap and buy whatever. I'm still probably most intrigued by the CAAD13/Supersix since they can take 30s and from what I gather online even 32s, but are also aggressive enough to race in a crit if I'm ever feeling up to it. FTP is up to 209 now...still shit, but improving. The CAAD even on the stock 25s had a quieter ride than the Emonda, I just need a 54 if it's a Cannondale. For whatever reason they seem to fit bigger than other brands, both in my experience and from what bike shop bros tell me. I loved the Aethos, but ain't no way I'm spending that kinda dough.
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21774
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

coogles wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:55 pm :iono: I think it just takes some getting used to... When I first started riding my Raleigh, I thought it was absolutely terrible and that drop bars were the worst because of the discomfort/lack of visibility. Now I find anything upright :disgust:

:iono: I think you just sort of have to pull the trigger at a certain point.
You might be right. I just have so little experience on a road bike, and what little I do have was pretty negative so I'm afraid to take a leap and buy whatever. I'm still probably most intrigued by the CAAD13/Supersix since they can take 30s and from what I gather online even 32s, but are also aggressive enough to race in a crit if I'm ever feeling up to it. FTP is up to 209 now...still shit, but improving. The CAAD even on the stock 25s had a quieter ride than the Emonda, I just need a 54 if it's a Cannondale. For whatever reason they seem to fit bigger than other brands, both in my experience and from what bike shop bros tell me. I loved the Aethos, but ain't no way I'm spending that kinda dough.
I feel you man, I dropped $2600 for something I had never seen in my life, it was definitely nerve wracking.

I love it... but I also haven't ridden all that many bikes. Over the years with cars as I've driven more and more, I notice more and more nuanced things. I'm sure over time I will do the same with bikes and may one day think mine isn't all that, but it has worked out really well so far and I love it.

I actually rented this Specialized Allez in Hawaii and did this epic ride and was amazed by how :notbad: it was. It was Claris/Aluminum/Poverty spec and man, :aintcare: , the Hawaii ride was fucking epic (will post about it later). But like, if the shittiest vintage road bike I've ridden is a 1 on my scale and my Ribble a 10, my Raleigh is like a 3 and the Specialized was like an 8. It was objectively so much worse than my bike but in actuality it is splitting hairs. Cyclists really overanalyze/over worship the equipment. Just get strong and go on rides that are cool and it's great even if it's not a fantastic bike.

I honestly agree with all of Troy's assessments going from a :fancy: bike to a decent but inexpensive one, it really still does the same job unless you're like insanely competitive.

I am still faster than almost all of the guys with $10K bikes around here, and Zill is the best cyclist I know and doesn't have anything crazy expensive.
User avatar
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 am
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Location: Indianapolis

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:22 pmI feel you man, I dropped $2600 for something I had never seen in my life, it was definitely nerve wracking.

I love it... but I also haven't ridden all that many bikes. Over the years with cars as I've driven more and more, I notice more and more nuanced things. I'm sure over time I will do the same with bikes and may one day think mine isn't all that, but it has worked out really well so far and I love it.

I actually rented this Specialized Allez in Hawaii and did this epic ride and was amazed by how :notbad: it was. It was Claris/Aluminum/Poverty spec and man, :aintcare: , the Hawaii ride was fucking epic (will post about it later). But like, if the shittiest vintage road bike I've ridden is a 1 on my scale and my Ribble a 10, my Raleigh is like a 3 and the Specialized was like an 8. It was objectively so much worse than my bike but in actuality it is splitting hairs. Cyclists really overanalyze/over worship the equipment. Just get strong and go on rides that are cool and it's great even if it's not a fantastic bike.

I honestly agree with all of Troy's assessments going from a :fancy: bike to a decent but inexpensive one, it really still does the same job unless you're like insanely competitive.

I am still faster than almost all of the guys with $10K bikes around here, and Zill is the best cyclist I know and doesn't have anything crazy expensive.
Oh dude I’m totally with you on the rider vs equipment argument. Let’s also not kid ourselves about Zack’s bike, though. A CAAD10 with a higher end carbon wheelset is fast AF under the right rider, which he obviously is. I’m far less concerned about specs than I am about simply being comfortable. If I’m not, I can guarantee I won’t ride it, which is exactly what happened with my old CAAD10. Stiff frame + 23s + bad/aggressive fit meant I never ever wanted to ride it. It was a total torture device.

Riding the Emonda ALR brought back bad memories of how pingy the CAAD10 was on 23s. Might be acceptable with some tubeless 28s, might still find it rougher than I’d like. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to drop $2,200 and cross my fingers.
User avatar
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 19840
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:15 pm
Drives: Trek Domane
Location: Florida, Man

coogles wrote:
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:22 pmI feel you man, I dropped $2600 for something I had never seen in my life, it was definitely nerve wracking.

I love it... but I also haven't ridden all that many bikes. Over the years with cars as I've driven more and more, I notice more and more nuanced things. I'm sure over time I will do the same with bikes and may one day think mine isn't all that, but it has worked out really well so far and I love it.

I actually rented this Specialized Allez in Hawaii and did this epic ride and was amazed by how :notbad: it was. It was Claris/Aluminum/Poverty spec and man, :aintcare: , the Hawaii ride was fucking epic (will post about it later). But like, if the shittiest vintage road bike I've ridden is a 1 on my scale and my Ribble a 10, my Raleigh is like a 3 and the Specialized was like an 8. It was objectively so much worse than my bike but in actuality it is splitting hairs. Cyclists really overanalyze/over worship the equipment. Just get strong and go on rides that are cool and it's great even if it's not a fantastic bike.

I honestly agree with all of Troy's assessments going from a :fancy: bike to a decent but inexpensive one, it really still does the same job unless you're like insanely competitive.

I am still faster than almost all of the guys with $10K bikes around here, and Zill is the best cyclist I know and doesn't have anything crazy expensive.
Oh dude I’m totally with you on the rider vs equipment argument. Let’s also not kid ourselves about Zack’s bike, though. A CAAD10 with a higher end carbon wheelset is fast AF under the right rider, which he obviously is. I’m far less concerned about specs than I am about simply being comfortable. If I’m not, I can guarantee I won’t ride it, which is exactly what happened with my old CAAD10. Stiff frame + 23s + bad/aggressive fit meant I never ever wanted to ride it. It was a total torture device.

Riding the Emonda ALR brought back bad memories of how pingy the CAAD10 was on 23s. Might be acceptable with some tubeless 28s, might still find it rougher than I’d like. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to drop $2,200 and cross my fingers.
Tires and tire pressure in my experience make up something like 95% of the comfort of a road bike.

(not counting fit, obviously)
User avatar
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 am
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Location: Indianapolis

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:39 am Tires and tire pressure in my experience make up something like 95% of the comfort of a road bike.

(not counting fit, obviously)
100%, which is why a CAAD13 on some tubeless 700x32 GP5000s is so appealing. It'd be fast and comfortable. The biggest the Emonda will take is 28s, and that used Tarmac SL4 I linked awhile back will only take 25s. Too bad I'm a dummy and ordered in the wrong size.
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21774
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

coogles wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:22 pmI feel you man, I dropped $2600 for something I had never seen in my life, it was definitely nerve wracking.

I love it... but I also haven't ridden all that many bikes. Over the years with cars as I've driven more and more, I notice more and more nuanced things. I'm sure over time I will do the same with bikes and may one day think mine isn't all that, but it has worked out really well so far and I love it.

I actually rented this Specialized Allez in Hawaii and did this epic ride and was amazed by how :notbad: it was. It was Claris/Aluminum/Poverty spec and man, :aintcare: , the Hawaii ride was fucking epic (will post about it later). But like, if the shittiest vintage road bike I've ridden is a 1 on my scale and my Ribble a 10, my Raleigh is like a 3 and the Specialized was like an 8. It was objectively so much worse than my bike but in actuality it is splitting hairs. Cyclists really overanalyze/over worship the equipment. Just get strong and go on rides that are cool and it's great even if it's not a fantastic bike.

I honestly agree with all of Troy's assessments going from a :fancy: bike to a decent but inexpensive one, it really still does the same job unless you're like insanely competitive.

I am still faster than almost all of the guys with $10K bikes around here, and Zill is the best cyclist I know and doesn't have anything crazy expensive.
Oh dude I’m totally with you on the rider vs equipment argument. Let’s also not kid ourselves about Zack’s bike, though. A CAAD10 with a higher end carbon wheelset is fast AF under the right rider, which he obviously is. I’m far less concerned about specs than I am about simply being comfortable. If I’m not, I can guarantee I won’t ride it, which is exactly what happened with my old CAAD10. Stiff frame + 23s + bad/aggressive fit meant I never ever wanted to ride it. It was a total torture device.

Riding the Emonda ALR brought back bad memories of how pingy the CAAD10 was on 23s. Might be acceptable with some tubeless 28s, might still find it rougher than I’d like. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to drop $2,200 and cross my fingers.
Yeah, I'm not knocking his bike by any means, just that he is fast as hell and certainly isn't rocking some five figure thing. I ride with one person who has a $7500 bike and she is not the fastest person I ride with by any means. The last group ride I did (127 miler), myself and a dude with a $600 used Fiji had by far the best time. To be fair another dude in that group is way faster than me, but he was struggling with the heat. He also rides a 2016 Domane and can do solo centuries at 20+ MPH.

I think you're on the right track. Just keep riding things I guess, but I do think that you'll get more comfy on whatever you get as you get used to it/get your fit dialed it.
User avatar
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 19840
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:15 pm
Drives: Trek Domane
Location: Florida, Man

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:39 am Tires and tire pressure in my experience make up something like 95% of the comfort of a road bike.

(not counting fit, obviously)
100%, which is why a CAAD13 on some tubeless 700x32 GP5000s is so appealing. It'd be fast and comfortable. The biggest the Emonda will take is 28s, and that used Tarmac SL4 I linked awhile back will only take 25s. Too bad I'm a dummy and ordered in the wrong size.
:word:

Domane disc, Defy, Contend can also take 32mm but I know that you like the CAAD. I'm planning to test 28 and 32 on my bike eventually. I have had a 28mm gp5000 on backorder for about 2 months now. The 32's I have on the shelf from my superx but dunno if they will quite fit on my rim brake bike.

I also want to try a different tire compound at some point, thinking pirelli cinturato velo for puncture resistance.
User avatar
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 am
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Location: Indianapolis

:ohdang:

I bought the Emonda today. :nuke: My wife found a used kids' bike on the swap and our little dude needed a bigger helmet, so I went back to the bike shop to get one. They recently got some Domane SL 5s in stock - I wanted to try out an endurance geometry - and having a couple 54s and 56s to get to try out both sizes was a nice plus. I figured I'd hop on the Emonda again last just to see, but I gave the bike a quick looking over before getting on and noticed the saddle was all the way back the rails. That would be the reason the reach felt too long, and also why I felt like I was pushing forward instead of down. The bike shop bro moved the saddle to the midpoint on the rails and it brought back that Goldilocks feeling I had the first time I got on a Trek H2 bike. Also, it felt WAY snappier than the Domanes did, and so it is mine. There was some tickety tickety from the front derailleur so I left it there for adjustment, but I'll pick it up tomorrow. :fuckyeah:
User avatar
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 19840
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:15 pm
Drives: Trek Domane
Location: Florida, Man

:nice:

Which emonda is it again?

I was out of town for the past week so no riding, hopefully I can get some sleep tonight and get out tomorrow if the thunderstorms cooperate.
User avatar
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 am
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Location: Indianapolis

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:23 pm :nice:

Which emonda is it again?

I was out of town for the past week so no riding, hopefully I can get some sleep tonight and get out tomorrow if the thunderstorms cooperate.
The ALR 5 disc, full 105 groupset. It’s the slate gray to black fade, which is pretty meh, but it’s fine. Would’ve rather had the purple or the yellow to red fade they offer on the frameset.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... 5/p/24166/
User avatar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21774
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 am
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:02 pm :ohdang:

I bought the Emonda today. :nuke: My wife found a used kids' bike on the swap and our little dude needed a bigger helmet, so I went back to the bike shop to get one. They recently got some Domane SL 5s in stock - I wanted to try out an endurance geometry - and having a couple 54s and 56s to get to try out both sizes was a nice plus. I figured I'd hop on the Emonda again last just to see, but I gave the bike a quick looking over before getting on and noticed the saddle was all the way back the rails. That would be the reason the reach felt too long, and also why I felt like I was pushing forward instead of down. The bike shop bro moved the saddle to the midpoint on the rails and it brought back that Goldilocks feeling I had the first time I got on a Trek H2 bike. Also, it felt WAY snappier than the Domanes did, and so it is mine. There was some tickety tickety from the front derailleur so I left it there for adjustment, but I'll pick it up tomorrow. :fuckyeah:
:fuckyeah: congrats man!
User avatar
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 am
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Location: Indianapolis

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:29 pm :fuckyeah: congrats man!
Thanks dude! :excited:
User avatar
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 19840
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:15 pm
Drives: Trek Domane
Location: Florida, Man

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:23 pm :nice:

Which emonda is it again?

I was out of town for the past week so no riding, hopefully I can get some sleep tonight and get out tomorrow if the thunderstorms cooperate.
The ALR 5 disc, full 105 groupset. It’s the slate gray to black fade, which is pretty meh, but it’s fine. Would’ve rather had the purple or the yellow to red fade they offer on the frameset.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... 5/p/24166/
:notbad:

My bike is mostly flat black which is also not ideal but it was available at the right time/price so I got it. The good thing about a boring paint job is that you can add pieces of flair to it. The next step for me is rainbow bar tape. :gay:
User avatar
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 am
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Location: Indianapolis

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:00 pm
coogles wrote:
The ALR 5 disc, full 105 groupset. It’s the slate gray to black fade, which is pretty meh, but it’s fine. Would’ve rather had the purple or the yellow to red fade they offer on the frameset.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... 5/p/24166/
:notbad:

My bike is mostly flat black which is also not ideal but it was available at the right time/price so I got it. The good thing about a boring paint job is that you can add pieces of flair to it. The next step for me is rainbow bar tape. :gay:
That's true, maybe I'll eventually do something funky with it. For now I just want to put some 28s on it and maybe do a carbon seatpost to kill some road buzz depending on how the 28s do at improving the ride.

Also I found out that the delta cleats that come with the Peloton are actually not compatible with the Keo cleats Look now uses with their pedals. I really don't want to buy a second pair of shoes, so I either need to replace the pedals on the Peloton or use Peloton-branded pedals on the Emonda, which makes me :triggered: for reasons. The only other delta-compatible pedals I've found are knock-off Chinese shit on Amazon.
User avatar
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 19840
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:15 pm
Drives: Trek Domane
Location: Florida, Man

Carbon saddlepost is one thing that I think I can feel a difference on, but I have been using one exclusively for over a year now so who knows if that's true or placebo.

25/28mm staggered tire setup at ~60 psi I think is going to be the answer for me, assuming that the 32 doesn't fit. The 28mm GP5000TL was just updated today with a 7/26 ETA though... I ordered it with an original ETA of 6/6. :doomed:
User avatar
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 3440
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 am
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Location: Indianapolis

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:49 pm Carbon saddlepost is one thing that I think I can feel a difference on, but I have been using one exclusively for over a year now so who knows if that's true or placebo.

25/28mm staggered tire setup at ~60 psi I think is going to be the answer for me, assuming that the 32 doesn't fit. The 28mm GP5000TL was just updated today with a 7/26 ETA though... I ordered it with an original ETA of 6/6. :doomed:
My shop has some 700x28 GP5000 TL in stock but they want $95/ea for them. Ouch.
User avatar
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 19840
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:15 pm
Drives: Trek Domane
Location: Florida, Man

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:49 pm Carbon saddlepost is one thing that I think I can feel a difference on, but I have been using one exclusively for over a year now so who knows if that's true or placebo.

25/28mm staggered tire setup at ~60 psi I think is going to be the answer for me, assuming that the 32 doesn't fit. The 28mm GP5000TL was just updated today with a 7/26 ETA though... I ordered it with an original ETA of 6/6. :doomed:
My shop has some 700x28 GP5000 TL in stock but they want $95/ea for them. Ouch.
Yeah my order is about $64 for one tire. I wanted to try the Michelin Power Road TLR but it's also on backorder with an even later ETA. The puncture-resistant but slow-rolling Pirelli is available now :doe: so maybe I should order a pair to have them on hand for whenever I do want to try them.

I'm also not 100% sold on tubeless and plan to test the :scrooge: conti ultra sport with tubes sometime.
User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 38544
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:52 am
Drives: Blue short bus
Location: Philly

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:02 pm :ohdang:

I bought the Emonda today. :nuke: My wife found a used kids' bike on the swap and our little dude needed a bigger helmet, so I went back to the bike shop to get one. They recently got some Domane SL 5s in stock - I wanted to try out an endurance geometry - and having a couple 54s and 56s to get to try out both sizes was a nice plus. I figured I'd hop on the Emonda again last just to see, but I gave the bike a quick looking over before getting on and noticed the saddle was all the way back the rails. That would be the reason the reach felt too long, and also why I felt like I was pushing forward instead of down. The bike shop bro moved the saddle to the midpoint on the rails and it brought back that Goldilocks feeling I had the first time I got on a Trek H2 bike. Also, it felt WAY snappier than the Domanes did, and so it is mine. There was some tickety tickety from the front derailleur so I left it there for adjustment, but I'll pick it up tomorrow. :fuckyeah:
awwwwwww yeah
User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 38544
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:52 am
Drives: Blue short bus
Location: Philly

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:00 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:00 pm :notbad:

My bike is mostly flat black which is also not ideal but it was available at the right time/price so I got it. The good thing about a boring paint job is that you can add pieces of flair to it. The next step for me is rainbow bar tape. :gay:
That's true, maybe I'll eventually do something funky with it. For now I just want to put some 28s on it and maybe do a carbon seatpost to kill some road buzz depending on how the 28s do at improving the ride.

Also I found out that the delta cleats that come with the Peloton are actually not compatible with the Keo cleats Look now uses with their pedals. I really don't want to buy a second pair of shoes, so I either need to replace the pedals on the Peloton or use Peloton-branded pedals on the Emonda, which makes me :triggered: for reasons. The only other delta-compatible pedals I've found are knock-off Chinese shit on Amazon.
Could get higher TPI tires to soften the ride. Vittoria Corsa come to mind, but I know nothing about longevity. They're 320 TPI.
Post Reply