Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:26 am
coogles wrote:
More than a bit. It took forever to sell my (nicer IMO) CAAD10 back in 2017 or 18 or whenever and I only got $600 for it IIRC. :disappoint: indeed

Carbon 56cm Felt FR6, $1300 in IL.
That is pretty sweet.
coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport

D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:14 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:26 am

Carbon 56cm Felt FR6, $1300 in IL.
That is pretty sweet.
:notbad:

There's also this one, which is admittedly above what I've thought of spending but dang, is nice.

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/ ... -2013-56cm
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So, who all has had a bike fit done? I have some ongoing knee discomfort... thinking of springing for this, it is :waxer: but possibly worth it? http://uptowncyclescharlotte.com/retul-fitting/

There are other shops around that can do a basic fitting for $100-200, I think I might just opt for "the good shit" in this case.

Thoughts from the experts?
coogles

D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:24 pm So, who all has had a bike fit done? I have some ongoing knee discomfort... thinking of springing for this, it is :waxer: but possibly worth it? http://uptowncyclescharlotte.com/retul-fitting/

There are other shops around that can do a basic fitting for $100-200, I think I might just opt for "the good shit" in this case.

I had one done when I bought the CAAD back in 2012, but it was just the shop's "bronze" level fitting. https://www.bgindy.com/articles/bicycle ... s-pg22.htm

The guy adjusted the saddle fore/aft, and stem height, length, and angle. Unfortunately, the dude set me up as if I was an experienced cyclist and was planning to enter a race the next day, and it was way too aggressive. I think if I would have known better what I wanted out of the bike, the session would have been a lot more useful. That said, if you're having some discomfort, I'd go for the full motion-based fit. $300 is nothing compared to fixing injuries on the back end. You ride enough, I'd opt for the full spa treatment. At the very least get the cleat adjustment as well, though.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:So, who all has had a bike fit done? I have some ongoing knee discomfort... thinking of springing for this, it is :waxer: but possibly worth it? http://uptowncyclescharlotte.com/retul-fitting/

Go for the full service thing or don't bother IMO. I only had more basic services available in NY and for people like us who aren't afraid to fix/move/try/read shit ourselves there wasn't much value in it.

Related: I found a Fizik Arione Tri 2 seat for $20 on Facebook last week and it made my trek way better for me. Apparently the Tri version has more padding than the $200 carbon one I have on the SuperX, so it's even tolerable with normal street clothes on. I did a full hour on it on Saturday in gym shorts NFG.

Next I'm going to throw a 1x crankset on it, ordered a 48T one off aliexpress because almost no one makes road sized 1x cranksets. I wanted 50T but they're all out of stock. :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:26 pm
D Griff wrote:So, who all has had a bike fit done? I have some ongoing knee discomfort... thinking of springing for this, it is :waxer: but possibly worth it? http://uptowncyclescharlotte.com/retul-fitting/

Go for the full service thing or don't bother IMO. I only had more basic services available in NY and for people like us who aren't afraid to fix/move/try/read shit ourselves there wasn't much value in it.

Related: I found a Fizik Arione Tri 2 seat for $20 on Facebook last week and it made my trek way better for me. Apparently the Tri version has more padding than the $200 carbon one I have on the SuperX, so it's even tolerable with normal street clothes on. I did a full hour on it on Saturday in gym shorts NFG.

Next I'm going to throw a 1x crankset on it, ordered a 48T one off aliexpress because almost no one makes road sized 1x cranksets. I wanted 50T but they're all out of stock. :ohwell:
Curious to hear how the Aliexpress ring works out, I will be buying similar for the Raleigh soon!

Thanks for the feedback on the fit. My main driving force is some knee pain, seems worth a try if it could prevent injury.

I need to do some saddle shopping as well. :whocares: about slightly more weight if it means you're comfy. I figure the fit may be an opportunity to try some saddles and shoes as well hopefully.
troyguitar

Yeah I tried 8 or 10 different saddles at the store, that was the main benefit for me. Fizik Arione is the only shape that I have ever felt OK on so far (I hesitate to call it actually comfortable). The carbon version is good with padded shorts, this Tri version works with anything :doe: which is perfect for my use now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:01 pm Yeah I tried 8 or 10 different saddles at the store, that was the main benefit for me. Fizik Arione is the only shape that I have ever felt OK on so far (I hesitate to call it actually comfortable). The carbon version is good with padded shorts, this Tri version works with anything :doe: which is perfect for my use now.
Yeah I'd like something on the Ribble that goes well with a chamois, I may try out a Brooks on the Raleigh, I want that to look cool and be passable sans cycle shorts as well as with.
Zillon
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: 🌮

D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:24 pm So, who all has had a bike fit done? I have some ongoing knee discomfort... thinking of springing for this, it is :waxer: but possibly worth it? http://uptowncyclescharlotte.com/retul-fitting/

I've been fit several times, and highly recommend it.

I'd also recommend Matt get fit when he gets a new bike, too - his right knee was doing some wonky stuff last weekend.
Garage: 2013 Terrorist 🌮 | 2006 :jizz: rocket
Got a parts itch that needs scratchin'? Hit me up: Momentum Worx
SAWCE
Drives: Willys Wheeler

Troy, found your next water bottle cage:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/port ... j99-lK4X6o
:sawce:

www.animalpak.com
Use ALIUS10 discount code when you check out :like:
troyguitar

SAWCE wrote:Troy, found your next water bottle cage:

:notwrong:

I got my :truk: rack set up today, now I need to figure out some bags for it.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:31 pm
SAWCE wrote:Troy, found your next water bottle cage:

:notwrong:

I got my :truk: rack set up today, now I need to figure out some bags for it.

:fuckyeah: it's pizza:30
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Zillon wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:06 pm

I've been fit several times, and highly recommend it.

I'd also recommend Matt get fit when he gets a new bike, too - his right knee was doing some wonky stuff last weekend.
:word: I am going to :doit:

He will as well I'm sure, he had a basic fit with his current bike but he actually mentioned the knee kick out on our DC ride, he thinks he was sitting slightly cock eyed on his bike so he was glad you noticed so he can try to correct. He needs to get a new bike ASAP, that thing is hideous :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I felt good about this ride this morning, took back a KOM In my neighborhood, some guy had beat my previous best by nine seconds and I took his new time by 25 seconds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coogles

D Griff wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:57 pm I felt good about this ride this morning, took back a KOM In my neighborhood, some guy had beat my previous best by nine seconds and I took his new time by 25 seconds!
:fuckyeah:

rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

might as well open a LBSImage
coogles

Back over 200. :fuckyeah:

troyguitar

:impressive:

Probably a stronger rider than me already. Good thing I don't want to race.
coogles

troyguitar wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:31 am :impressive:

I might be able to produce more wattage than you, but I also have, what, 40 pounds on you? I doubt I’d be faster out on the road.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:31 am :impressive:

I might be able to produce more wattage than you, but I also have, what, 40 pounds on you? I doubt I’d be faster out on the road.
I'm pretty aero via being small but :notsure: if it really makes much difference at our :jalepenis: power levels. I see big (muscular) people on upright hybrids doing 20 mph fairly often.
troyguitar

Annoyingly I'm still having problems with my neck despite going to a much much more upright position on the Domane (it even hurts on the wife's super upright bike), so for now I have given up on trying to be fast or even do a lot of miles. That's basically been a problem since last July.

When things settle down with the move I plan to find some real doctors down here and figure it out.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:57 am Annoyingly I'm still having problems with my neck despite going to a much much more upright position on the Domane (it even hurts on the wife's super upright bike), so for now I have given up on trying to be fast or even do a lot of miles. That's basically been a problem since last July.

When things settle down with the move I plan to find some real doctors down here and figure it out.
Solid plan to move forward with. That sucks though :disappoint:

This is probably a dumb thought but is your helmet heavy?
coogles

troyguitar wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:46 am
coogles wrote:
I'm pretty aero via being small but :notsure: if it really makes much difference at our :jalepenis: power levels. I see big (muscular) people on upright hybrids doing 20 mph fairly often.
:notsure: we’ll find out how fast I really am or am not. Feeling pretty meh on spending the money to get a road bike. But still, aero effects or not, I’d think the extra weight I’d have to push around would outweigh any power advantage I may or may not have.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:57 am Annoyingly I'm still having problems with my neck despite going to a much much more upright position on the Domane (it even hurts on the wife's super upright bike), so for now I have given up on trying to be fast or even do a lot of miles. That's basically been a problem since last July.

Solid plan to move forward with. That sucks though :disappoint:

This is probably a dumb thought but is your helmet heavy?
Nah, I am used to wearing much heavier motorsports helmets, and I often do the unthinkable and ride around town without a helmet at all. :doomed:

At this point I get neck pain pretty much any time I do anything strenuous, whether it really involves the neck or not. Like lifting heavy boxes or furniture recently has been triggering it. Just need to find the right doctor and spend the money to see them.
Zillon
Drives: 🌮

coogles wrote:Back over 200. :fuckyeah:

:fuckyeah:

Back on the gainz train :mahman:
Garage: 2013 Terrorist 🌮 | 2006 :jizz: rocket
Got a parts itch that needs scratchin'? Hit me up: Momentum Worx