Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

Zillon wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:31 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm :notbad:

I love that with no gears and 100 ft/mile of climbing you are still faster than me on a flat paved road.
It was a full gas effort to try to warm up. I fiddled with the bike on the side of the road for 20-30 mins until I discovered the frayed cable at the shifter, which turned me into a popsicle. All my core heat disappeared.

The shop that fixed my cables today (Rainbow Bicycles in Lewiston, 5/7, would recommend) had all of their cycling tops 50% off, so I grabbed a proper thermal long sleeve Sugoi jersey, some thermal gloves, and some better insulating shoe covers. I should be much more comfortable tomorrow.

I want redemption. I’ve got gravel to grind, hills to find.
:mahman:

I didn't have time to get my new rotor/pads on the mountain bike today due to leaf removal/work. Tomorrow I will get that going and do a road or woods ride, :notsure: which. Mountain would be fun as it's been a long time.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Toyota Ninja Turtle

Zillon wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm :notbad:

I love that with no gears and 100 ft/mile of climbing you are still faster than me on a flat paved road.
It was a full gas effort to try to warm up. I fiddled with the bike on the side of the road for 20-30 mins until I discovered the frayed cable at the shifter, which turned me into a popsicle. All my core heat disappeared.

The shop that fixed my cables today (Rainbow Bicycles in Lewiston, 5/7, would recommend) had all of their cycling tops 50% off, so I grabbed a proper thermal long sleeve Sugoi jersey, some thermal gloves, and some better insulating shoe covers. I should be much more comfortable tomorrow.

I want redemption. I’ve got gravel to grind, hills to find.
In any case it's :impressive:

I have yet to get past 17 mph even in a full 180+ bpm effort on smooth flat pavement, total "sprint" for ~10 miles... :turtle:
Zillon
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Terrorist Taco / Jizz Rocket

Redemption.

Absolutely epic ride. Sunny, mid 40s, a bit breezy but wasn’t hard to find shelter from the wind for the most part. Clothing I bought yesterday was also a good move; hands and feet never got cold, and the long sleeve jersey was perfect.

Snatched the KOM I had targeted, which was epic. Also found some of the roughest “gravel” I’ve ever ridden: logging road turned into ATV and snowmobile trail. Fell twice, had to walk some spots, super greasy mud due to freeze-thaw cycles already.

5/7 day
Zildor the Liberal Cuck
Garage: 2013 Terrorist 🌮 | 2006 :jizz: rocket
Bender wrote:Lulz you don't respect science. You respect fake science that validates your pre-existing opinions.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sounds like an amazing ride! I would’ve already been off the bike on those sections of I wasn’t on a mountain bike :lolol: :impressive:

How did you target the KOM? Just check a bunch of leaderboards while building the route?

Love the pics!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I crossed over 3k miles for the year yesterday, which was cool. Didn’t take pics, but it was a great day, high at almost 70F, first ride in a while where I could go out in just shorts and a jersey. I did a few hill repeats over along the river and it was just beautiful with sunshine, the last remaining fall colors, and water views.

I ended with a nice little nail, a mile from my house and sort of a rough area so I just walked home rather than put in my spare tube, I think I’ll just patch the tire and replace the tube, hopefully that will be fine. Would y’all replace this tire? Something like 2800 miles on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zillon

D Griff wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 am Sounds like an amazing ride! I would’ve already been off the bike on those sections of I wasn’t on a mountain bike :lolol: :impressive:

How did you target the KOM? Just check a bunch of leaderboards while building the route?

Love the pics!
It was a rough section for sure. :hue:

So, Strava has a function where you can start segments as favorites - and with the Wahoo, any starred segments will show up on the screen of the computer as you’re riding and show you your progress relative to the KOM or your previous best.

I just kept putting time into the previous KOM holder; kept the pedals buried until I rolled over the peak.
Zildor the Liberal Cuck
Bender wrote:Lulz you don't respect science. You respect fake science that validates your pre-existing opinions.
troyguitar

So I took 3 full days off the bike, ate like a normal person, and got back on today. I gained 3 lbs and 3/4" on my waist, and got about another 20% weaker.

In July, a 150 bpm effort was 200 watts.

By last week, it was down to 160 watts.

Today it's down to 130. I'm now weaker than I was when I first got a bike, after 7 years of zero exercise whatsoever.

But look at the bright side, at least I wasted thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours working hard for nothing?
fledonfoot
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Sounds like your power meter is broken.
Zillon

troyguitar wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:26 pm So I took 3 full days off the bike, ate like a normal person, and got back on today. I gained 3 lbs and 3/4" on my waist, and got about another 20% weaker.

Today it's down to 130. I'm now weaker than I was when I first got a bike, after 7 years of zero exercise whatsoever.

But look at the bright side, at least I wasted thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours working hard for nothing?
Go ride more hills and do some intervals workouts.

You need an actual training plan at this point. Time for some sufferfest.
Zildor the Liberal Cuck
coogles
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport

troyguitar wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:26 pm So I took 3 full days off the bike, ate like a normal person, and got back on today. I gained 3 lbs and 3/4" on my waist, and got about another 20% weaker.

If your power meter isn't actually broken/miscalibrated, your performance on the bike is the symptom, not the cause.

Until you start getting some real sleep and reign in what sounds like an excessive drinking habit, you will never have the physique you want or the athletic performance you're working for. 1 step forward, 2 or 3 steps back.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Zillon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:32 pm

Go ride more hills and do some intervals workouts.

You need an actual training plan at this point. Time for some sufferfest.
:dat:

I lifted for YEARS with shit results, spent hours every week on it, always wondered why certain people got so much more strong/jacked with seemingly the same effort. Well, turns out if you actually have a plan it works better. I started doing 5X5, then 531 and got way stronger, especially after starting to track calories/macros.

I think I've had accelerated improvement with cycling because I have done a bunch of cross training with running, lifting, and mountain biking. The body needs variety in training, this has been proven time and time again.

You said yourself that you prefer to go out and ride 150 BPM on the flats as much as possible. There is nothing wrong with this approach, still great exercise and can be fun, but you will certainly plateau with that style of "training". You can either choose to be happy where you are, given you can ride long distances, you are already a good rider. Or, you can put in the effort to do the things you don't love to improve.

You could never become a great guitar player by choosing only one song and playing it over and over and over, even if it was a difficult song.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I finally got the brakes squared away on the Orbea, cleaned up all of the components, and went out and had a wonderful trail ride this morning. It was perfect fall weather/conditions, 50ish degrees, sunny, great colors, nice empty trails. I forgot how fun mountain biking can be! The leaves were a little slick at points, but overall 5/7 outing, I may just go again tomorrow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar

I would have been fine with a plateau. I'm instead getting weaker and weaker and weaker with every passing moment.

So you guys that appear to just ride for fun are actually doing some structured training program that you don't talk about?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:12 pm I would have been fine with a plateau. I'm instead getting weaker and weaker and weaker with every passing moment.

So you guys that appear to just ride for fun are actually doing some structured training program that you don't talk about?
No, but I do a lot of cross training as previously mentioned and work out a lot more than you. I also eat better, drink less, and sleep more.

Zill, who is clearly the best here, constantly cross trains with Peloton sessions and shit, so yes, I would say he does do structured training. I doubt the Peloton classes are done "for fun".

All of that being said, I seem to have plateau in speed at this point. The only way to get faster from here for me is buy more expensive shit and/or do some smarter training.
Zillon

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:12 pm I would have been fine with a plateau. I'm instead getting weaker and weaker and weaker with every passing moment.

No, I just know my body at this point and know what I need to do to get faster. I do interval workouts during the week via Peloton, ride big on weekends, and throw in the occasional weekday ride for extra miles/effort when the weather/daylight permits. I also track my efforts via Strava and loosely adhere to a “3 on, 1 off” training schedule. 3 weeks of gradual increases in intensity followed by one week that’s easy/low intensity.

I also allow my body time to recover between efforts, eat properly most of the time, and don’t drink in excess.
Zildor the Liberal Cuck
troyguitar

coogles wrote:...your performance on the bike is the symptom, not the cause.

Until you start getting some real sleep...
This is almost certainly the whole problem. I'm just venting here anymore, not looking for answers.

You guys share your experiences, I share mine. Sorry mine are largely negative.
SAWCE
Drives: Willys Wheeler

Zillon wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:41 pm

No, I just know my body at this point and know what I need to do to get faster. I do interval workouts during the week via Peloton, ride big on weekends, and throw in the occasional weekday ride for extra miles/effort when the weather/daylight permits. I also track my efforts via Strava and loosely adhere to a “3 on, 1 off” training schedule. 3 weeks of gradual increases in intensity followed by one week that’s easy/low intensity.

I also allow my body time to recover between efforts, eat properly most of the time, and don’t drink in excess.
Three week blocks like that are great. Used in a lot of powerlifting programs.
:sawce:
Zillon

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:00 pm

This is almost certainly the whole problem. I'm just venting here anymore, not looking for answers.

It’s all good dude. Better to share than to bottle it up.
Zildor the Liberal Cuck
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:00 pm

Venting is good man, carry on. I think you're likely right that the sleep is the number one issue. I have dealt with some light insomnia in the past, it blows. I still think weed is a decent thing to consider, it will definitely help you sleep, it's cheaper/healthier than booze too. Not ideal, but may be worth trying.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

So, what is the difference between front disk brakes versus front fork/frame mounted brakes?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:12 am So, what is the difference between front disk brakes versus front fork/frame mounted brakes?
Disc brakes generally are a lot better, particularly hydraulic (no cable, fluid in the lines rather than pulling a cable). Rim brakes are terrible in the rain as the rims get wet and you have almost zero stopping powah.

Nice weather riding on the road, rim brakes are fine, no issue saving the few bucks. If you're going to ride trails or in inclement weather, definitely try to get discs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Disc brake cons:

More expensive
Can be slightly heavier

Disc Brake Pros:
Better stopping power and modulation
Less impacted by weather/wetness
Easier to adjust/lower maintenance
Look cooler