Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Toyota Ninja Turtle

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm

I'm finally getting back to the speed I was in July, ~17 mph on the flats at ~160 bpm. Also found a men's XS jersey to try. It's a little short but at least isn't so damn baggy, though the arms and chest are still a little loose. Guess I'll try women's sizes next. :whocares:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:40 pm

troyguitar wrote:
I'm finally getting back to the speed I was in July, ~17 mph on the flats at ~160 bpm. Also found a men's XS jersey to try. It's a little short but at least isn't so damn baggy, though the arms and chest are still a little loose. Guess I'll try women's sizes next. :whocares:

Pretty much every shirt I own is short like that :disappoint: It is an issue with being tall/long torso but not fat. I find it so odd that our sizing assumes you automatically get fatter as you get taller.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:33 pm

So I was bleeding my brakes on the Whorbea and somehow I stripped the bleeder bolt on the right/rear lever. I suppose this means I need an entire new lever? :disgust: I don't understand how I did it, just finger tightening things but there were pieces of metal thread when I backed it back out and nothing will tighten in there now.

Also, I need to get new :225: for the wife's bike. Current are some Bontrager Comfort 26X1.95. They are pretty well worn down, probably OE from 15 years ago. She complains that it has no grip in gravel/sand so something better for that would be nice. I'd love to see lower rolling resistance as well so she is maybe slightly quicker.

troyguitar

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:45 pm

I grabbed those Tifosi photochromic glasses and they seem pretty good so far. Used them yesterday in full sun and, while they are nowhere near as dark as sun glasses, they were dark enough to take the edge off. Used them today in overcast dark clouds plus rain and they beat the hell out of sunglasses or my regular prescription glasses. They look dumb but :ohwell:

Here's my audition shot to take Bono's place in U2.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:48 pm

I have also come to the conclusion that I need to get a proper bike stand. The brake bleeding ghetto-spec was pretty lame.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote:
I grabbed those Tifosi photochromic glasses and they seem pretty good so far. Used them yesterday in full sun and, while they are nowhere near as dark as sun glasses, they were dark enough to take the edge off. Used them today in overcast dark clouds plus rain and they beat the hell out of sunglasses or my regular prescription glasses. They look dumb but :ohwell:

Dang, I kind of want these now... they are just sooo fugly. :notsure:

Zillon
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Trailcock / Jizz Rocket

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:17 pm

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote:

Dang, I kind of want these now... they are just sooo fugly. :notsure:
Photochromic lenses are pretty :neat:
Zildor the Liberal Cuck
Garage: 2019 Trailcock | 2006 :jizz: rocket
Bender wrote:Lulz you don't respect science. You respect fake science that validates your pre-existing opinions.

fledonfoot
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:58 pm

D Griff wrote:
I have also come to the conclusion that I need to get a proper bike stand. The brake bleeding ghetto-spec was pretty lame.
Bikehand Bike Repair Stand (Max 55 lbs) - Home Portable Bicycle Mechanics Workstand - for Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes Maintenance https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D9B7OKQ/re ... yFbKTW0JN7

I bought this in 2016 and it’s served me well. Folds up nicely and hides away.

troyguitar

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:21 pm

Well I got some gloves and toe covers from Pearl today, looks like both will fit well so that's a start. I'm still going to need some kind of jacket. What's good?

Apparently I'm looking at having various base layer shirts with jerseys and/or a jacket over them depending on conditions. Maybe even an additional lightweight rain/snow shell to throw on top. :iono:

fledonfoot
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:25 am

troyguitar wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:21 pm
Well I got some gloves and toe covers from Pearl today, looks like both will fit well so that's a start. I'm still going to need some kind of jacket. What's good?

Apparently I'm looking at having various base layer shirts with jerseys and/or a jacket over them depending on conditions. Maybe even an additional lightweight rain/snow shell to throw on top. :iono:
I have a thin, form fitting lightweight wind breaker I use in the fall and spring on the MTB. It folds down to about the size of a clenched fist.

Do you have any pants/tights yet?

troyguitar

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:53 am

I have one pair of leggings ready to try. Women's small fits perfectly and is at least too warm to wear indoors, we'll see how it feels outdoors when it's cold. :datass:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075F ... UTF8&psc=1

Looks like the internet claims that Castelli Alpha RoS is "the" fall/winter/spring jacket to buy but it's also almost $400... :notsure:

I guess if I wear the thing 150 times a year it could be worth it, dunno about fit :doe:

Zillon

Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:27 am

I’ve never spent $400 on a jacket. :iono:

I’ve got a Giordana fleece lined jacket that does great, I’ve had it since 2008. I don’t wear it often, usually just go for a vest (Castelli Gabba vest I bought secondhand) over my jersey, armwarmers, and baselayer. It works perfectly down to 30 degrees or so.

Whatever you get, make sure it breathes out the back but blocks the wind to your chest. Otherwise you’re gonna be a frozen sweatsicle.
Zildor the Liberal Cuck
Bender wrote:Lulz you don't respect science. You respect fake science that validates your pre-existing opinions.

troyguitar

Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:59 am

Prices must have gone up since 2008. The good Giordana jacket costs even more than the Castelli one:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/gior ... F0MTAwMTk3

Keep in mind that what works for you is not likely to be anywhere near enough for me:

It's much colder here, with more freezing downhill sections on top of that.

You put out twice as much power as me or more, giving you WAY more internal heating.

You have a higher tolerance for cold in general and more thermal mass.

You have a significantly more aerodynamic position on the bike and thus get less chilled by the wind.

Zillon

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:14 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:59 am
Prices must have gone up since 2008. The good Giordana jacket costs even more than the Castelli one:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/gior ... F0MTAwMTk3

Keep in mind that what works for you is not likely to be anywhere near enough for me:

It's much colder here, with more freezing downhill sections on top of that.

You put out twice as much power as me or more, giving you WAY more internal heating.

You have a higher tolerance for cold in general and more thermal mass.

You have a significantly more aerodynamic position on the bike and thus get less chilled by the wind.
Just because I’m putting out more power doesn’t meant I’m producing more heat. That may be true for engines, but bodies are different, and it depends heavily on genetics.

Some people are natural heaters (I am, actually). I can sweat at the slightest increase in heart rate. Other people just don’t sweat.

It is definitely colder there though.

My real issues in the cold come from my hands and feet, not my torso. Once I’m warmed up, I’m good to go for my core.
Zildor the Liberal Cuck

troyguitar

Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Your warmup lasts almost as long as my entire ride :doe: - I'm targeting 45 minutes a day.

Sure I might get warm by the end, but I don't want to be miserable for most of the ride. Today was sunny and 60 but still freezing with a brutal wind out of the North. The Pearl gloves helped significantly but the toe covers were not enough, I definitely need better socks :doe: since my feet started out wet and stayed that way.

I tend to get sweaty and cold feet for no reason, even just sitting on the couch. :disgust:

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:47 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Love the hair! I sense James May vibes.
Airboat Michaelangelo.

Zillon

Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:58 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Your warmup lasts almost as long as my entire ride :doe: - I'm targeting 45 minutes a day.

Sure I might get warm by the end, but I don't want to be miserable for most of the ride. Today was sunny and 60 but still freezing with a brutal wind out of the North. The Pearl gloves helped significantly but the toe covers were not enough, I definitely need better socks :doe: since my feet started out wet and stayed that way.

I tend to get sweaty and cold feet for no reason, even just sitting on the couch. :disgust:
Look into some neoprene shoe covers. Or hell, entirely different shoes for winter.

I got lucky and a friend of mine who moved to Miami sent me his 45NRTH winter shoes. I’m kinda stoked to try some winter mountain biking this year.
Zildor the Liberal Cuck

troyguitar

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:13 pm

New shoes/boots probably makes sense, I got the neoprene toe covers though I'm :notsure: whether they're really doing anything. I need to see what's out there for SPD winter boots.

Zillon

Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:16 pm

troyguitar wrote:
New shoes/boots probably makes sense, I got the neoprene toe covers though I'm :notsure: whether they're really doing anything. I need to see what's out there for SPD winter boots.
I use the neoprene toe covers down to 45 or so, especially if it’s going to warm up as the ride goes on. Below that, it’s a full blown shoe cover, especially if it’s gonna be :moist:
Zildor the Liberal Cuck

troyguitar

Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:11 am

Zillon wrote:
troyguitar wrote:
I use the neoprene toe covers down to 45 or so, especially if it’s going to warm up as the ride goes on. Below that, it’s a full blown shoe cover, especially if it’s gonna be :moist:
What else do you do for rain/snow? When it's 75+ I can just get wet, but not at these temperatures.

Zillon

Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:55 am

troyguitar wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:11 am
Zillon wrote:
What else do you do for rain/snow? When it's 75+ I can just get wet, but not at these temperatures.
I avoid riding in the rain unless I get caught in it due to poor planning or a race situation. Same for snow.

If the weather’s bad, I’m generally not going out because I don’t feel like dealing with a dirty rusty bike when it’s all over.

I have raced in the snow/sleet though. Made for epic photos. It also hurt like a motherfucker and it took forever to warm up afterwards.

Zildor the Liberal Cuck

troyguitar

Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:30 pm

Ballz. If I avoided weather I didn't like then I'd almost never go outside. I figure I might as well ride in everything if I'm stuck in this hell hole.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:38 pm

troyguitar wrote:

My feet and hands get freezing all the damn time as well, I think it’s just mediocre circulation naturally.

I’ve mountain biked in 25F and it’s miserable. I did full winter gloves and my hands were still freezing and in pain. The rest of my body was comfy after a few tough climbs.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:39 pm

Zillon wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:58 pm
troyguitar wrote:

Look into some neoprene shoe covers. Or hell, entirely different shoes for winter.

I got lucky and a friend of mine who moved to Miami sent me his 45NRTH winter shoes. I’m kinda stoked to try some winter mountain biking this year.
:mahman:

I love it when I receive free cycling shoes in the mail.

Johnny_P
Drives: Burble

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:31 am

@troy pactimo has pro level stuff at decent prices. I’d see what they have.

I use ski gloves for snow riding. It works. My Gore jacket is good to like maybe 20f. Below that good luck just bundle up. Toes will go numb first, toe warmers may help if you pair with full shoe covers.

Maybe also check out Colorado cyclist and see what they have for winter riding.

If you do a jacket be sure to get a bright ass color not black. It’s a lot harder to see cyclists in the dark or among a backdrop of dead trees, and nobody is looking for cyclists in cold weather.

• Information