DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:10 pm

SAWCE wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:46 pm
golftdibrad wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:38 pm
wow, another hard morning.

for reasons of time I split my press and deadlift workouts this week. presses went fine Wednesday, but today...deads... ded.

last week I only got 385 for three. then pulled a double after rest. So, instead of adding fahve more freedom units I wanted to repeat last week and get my fahve.

:nope: 385 for singles, 4 times. So I'm definitely not getting stronger on the deadlift. however I did fit easily into a shirt that has been too tight today. and pants feel looser, as well as weight lifting belt.

I don't know what to do guys. I'm 'pretty strong', and it'd be nice to loose some El bees. my upper body is actually looking like I have some muscle for once, so should I switch to a more cardio focus higher rep hytrophy program to build some mass and hopefully loose some fat and let strength waiver? Or should I keep on keeping on? Go back to 531 because it was working?
Depends on what the goal is. If primary goal is lose the lbs, then yeah a hypertrophy plan with longer workouts and higher reps will burn a few more calories for you. Could also be beneficial to your joints to lay off the heavy lifting for a bit and let hem recover.

If you just want to get broootally stronk and aren’t as worried about your weight, go back to 531 or possibly a different PL program.
yea I'll have to think about it. I definitely won't get more time to work out, so I'll have to take that in consideration with my goal
Weekly :fax:
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Willys Wheeler

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:55 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
SAWCE wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:46 pm

Depends on what the goal is. If primary goal is lose the lbs, then yeah a hypertrophy plan with longer workouts and higher reps will burn a few more calories for you. Could also be beneficial to your joints to lay off the heavy lifting for a bit and let hem recover.

If you just want to get broootally stronk and aren’t as worried about your weight, go back to 531 or possibly a different PL program.
yea I'll have to think about it. I definitely won't get more time to work out, so I'll have to take that in consideration with my goal
Switching to the hypertrophy program you could do supersets which would cut down on some of the time needed to do a full workout, and depending on how long you’re resting between sets right now you laughter not need any “additional” workout time at all.

If that does become the goal and more time per workout isn’t available then I’d look at increasing frequency with number time times per week you’re working out to burn extra calories, and other places in your day you can add some activity: little 5-10 minute walks around the building at work, pushing the kiddo in a stroller around the hood before bed, etc. Calories in would also need to be looked at, but those can only go so low before life starts sucking donkeydong so I like to look for the ways to increase output first and making sure that input doesn’t also increase as some people naturally do when they burn more calories.
:sawce:

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:08 pm

SAWCE wrote:
golftdibrad wrote:

Switching to the hypertrophy program you could do supersets which would cut down on some of the time needed to do a full workout, and depending on how long you’re resting between sets right now you laughter not need any “additional” workout time at all.

If that does become the goal and more time per workout isn’t available then I’d look at increasing frequency with number time times per week you’re working out to burn extra calories, and other places in your day you can add some activity: little 5-10 minute walks around the building at work, pushing the kiddo in a stroller around the hood before bed, etc. Calories in would also need to be looked at, but those can only go so low before life starts sucking donkeydong so I like to look for the ways to increase output first and making sure that input doesn’t also increase as some people naturally do when they burn more calories.
yea, I've been watching what I eat, especially during the week, cut way back on booze during the week and that's where my current losses have come from. Diet is definitely the priority but need to also try to maintain strength.... looking less fat / feeling yoked would be great too
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:15 pm

I got pinned under rep 1 of my squats after adding only 5 lbs from last week. redic.

I'm taking a couple months off from strength gains as my goal and refocusing on maintaining as much strength as I can, doing some cardio, loosing a few ell bees.

after that I'll probably go back to 531.

D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Brub Tub and Kamry \\W

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:50 pm

SAWCE wrote:
golftdibrad wrote:

:notbad: advice.

I walk the parking lot at lunch for about 30 minutes most days as we have to be at the office 9+ hours regardless, may as well take the time. I feel better at work and it’s a nice little bit of extra activity.

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:04 pm

Busted out the total gym today. Worked arms, good pump various sets of bicep and tricep exercises. Thing is amazing for what it is.

:chucknorristhumbup:
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:04 pm
Busted out the total gym today. Worked arms, good pump various sets of bicep and tricep exercises. Thing is amazing for what it is.

:chucknorristhumbup:
:fuckyeah:

I still need to order that Wieder piece of Amazon. Been getting pretty good workouts with just the bands I have :doe:

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:11 pm

Back to the basics. Prison style.

Pull-ups actually really kicked my ass. 8 haven’t done them in over a year since right before my show so I was a good 40-45lbs lighter then. The square gate frame wasn’t the most comfortable thing to hang on either.

Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:15 pm

Last week I felt sick all week, tomorrow I start figuring out my quaran-routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:therapist:

D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:52 am

I am just running and biking a lot and will be tiny by the end of this.

:ohwell:

I may move around some brake rotors today or something.

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:27 am

So I took advantage of having a home gym yesterday whilst all you suckers are locked out #privliage # :waxer: #gainz

My squats are really, really shit as of late, I dont know whats going on. I tried to get my 375 for 5 I had to set on the pins last week for ZERO.... and I got 2. Maybe I have too much volume programed? not enough recovery? squatting once a week not enough? I'm at a loss.

At least Bench presses went well, 230 for fhave followed by volume work.

coogles
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am

Was just about to pull the trigger on a full home gym setup, full :wasteful: style, but of course every damn option I'd consider at Rogue is out of stock. :rage:

Doing some bodyweight circuits and cardio that are kicking my ass, but I'll get bored of it before too long. I did manage to snag a pair of 35lb and 53lb kettlebells, so at least I'll get to throw those around.

Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: CookieMonster

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:16 am

coogles wrote:
Was just about to pull the trigger on a full home gym setup, full :wasteful: style, but of course every damn option I'd consider at Rogue is out of stock. :rage:

Doing some bodyweight circuits and cardio that are kicking my ass, but I'll get bored of it before too long. I did manage to snag a pair of 35lb and 53lb kettlebells, so at least I'll get to throw those around.
Check out Titan Fitness for racks and stuff. Might need to look elsewhere for a bar doe, I’m not sure if they sell them.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:40 am

Apex wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:16 am
coogles wrote:

Check out Titan Fitness for racks and stuff. Might need to look elsewhere for a bar doe, I’m not sure if they sell them.
Yeah stock for home gyms got bought up fast. Check out EliteFTS, they make great equipment and should still have some stock. They’re offering a promo for people trying to build home gyms right now. It should be on their site, but I think the code I saw was HOMEGYMHERO and it gets you 10% off or something.

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:48 am

coogles wrote:

get a titan shitness rack and rogue barbell, weights from whereever you can get them. Id sugest bumpers.

coogles
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:57 am

Titan's 3x3 racks are out of stock too, and Elite FTS doesn't have options in the price points I'd consider that look very compelling, honestly. It also shows 4-6 weeks to ship, which is longer than a Rogue rep told me they're probably out on racks. I have a pull-up bar, TRX bands, and the two sets of kettlebells. That plus bodyweight work will get me by...not like I have a ton of time to work out with a 1 year old who can't go to daycare and a two newborns at home anyway.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:26 pm

coogles wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:57 am
Titan's 3x3 racks are out of stock too, and Elite FTS doesn't have options in the price points I'd consider that look very compelling, honestly. It also shows 4-6 weeks to ship, which is longer than a Rogue rep told me they're probably out on racks. I have a pull-up bar, TRX bands, and the two sets of kettlebells. That plus bodyweight work will get me by...not like I have a ton of time to work out with a 1 year old who can't go to daycare and a two newborns at home anyway.
Try some elitefts bands as a cheap work around. I have 5: red, green, orange, grey, and the red mini band, and I’ve been getting great workouts with them. I’ll probably buy one more that’s even heavier than the grey one.

D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:13 pm

Have a Zoom meeting for an hour, going to try to do two hunnit push ups during it. I think I should start doing this daily whenever I have a meeting I don't need to speak in.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:31 pm

D Griff wrote:
Have a Zoom meeting for an hour, going to try to do two hunnit push ups during it. I think I should start doing this daily whenever I have a meeting I don't need to speak in.
:nice:

I got tagged in one of the “see pushups, do push-ups” challenges on Instagram the other day. Dude who tagged me knocked out 50 in one set, so that was my goal. Got 45. Probably could have squeezed out the last 5, but I’m a bitch. Was a fun little challenge.

Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:54 pm

SAWCE wrote:
D Griff wrote:

I got tagged in one of the “see pushups, do push-ups” challenges on Instagram the other day. Dude who tagged me knocked out 50 in one set, so that was my goal. Got 45. Probably could have squeezed out the last 5, but I’m a bitch. Was a fun little challenge.
Most I ever did was 85 iirc, which I did build up to specifically with a program. Not like I was just like “hey I wonder how many push-ups I can do?”

:therapist:

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Calvinball wrote:
SAWCE wrote:

Most I ever did was 85 iirc, which I did build up to specifically with a program. Not like I was just like “hey I wonder how many push-ups I can do?”

Goddamn. That’s still a bunch. Probably a solid minute and a half or two minutes of pumping. I can’t even pump that long between the sheets :(

D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:19 pm

SAWCE wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:12 pm
Calvinball wrote:

Goddamn. That’s still a bunch. Probably a solid minute and a half or two minutes of pumping. I can’t even pump that long between the sheets :(
:mahman:

I think I've gotten in the neighborhood of 60 push ups. Just doing sets of 30ish right now. Knocked out 250 total on the call.

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:28 pm

Total Gym'd today. This is a pretty sweet little setup for what it is. Did back today.....some things are too easy, but other are like "wow".....don't do that at the gym. Today's one of those was the "Iron Cross"....it kicked my ass. Should be sore in some strange places tomorrow. This thing gives a good pump which is all you can ask for ATM.
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:55 pm

https://qytzp.myshopify.com/products/senior-dumbbell

Cap makes decent products afaik, so this is gonna he one of the better buys to start a home set of dumbbells if you don’t want to go :waxer: on a set of adjustable ones.

D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:12 am

Ended up doing about 400 push ups yesterday.

Slightly sore this morning. I think I will try to organize my shed a bit and also do some prison workouts in the yard, try to hit back/bis with heavy things we have on hand.

• Information