DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: CookieMonster

Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:07 pm

:jalepenis: numbers from week 1:

Squat 150
Deadlift 195
OHP 100
Bench 120

Went a little too aggressive on OHP will probably repeat the hundo to reduce risk of premature stalling.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Willys Wheeler

Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:56 pm

Yeah 100lb ohp is your strongest lift there for sure. I’d probably hut that for a few more cycles. Or, if you have 2.5lb weights, progress it by 5lbs total each cycle while everything else moves up by 10lbs.
:sawce:

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Pretty good shoulder day yesterday.

I start with a machine press. The one we have is from Body Masters. Maxes out at “240lbs” (who knows what the actual weight of it is).. I’ve had it maxed for a few weeks and adding small weights to it, but last night I went a little bigger. Managed to get two 10lb dumbbells and. 15lb one stacked onto the rack for a goal of 275lbs. It was my last working set and pushed it to failure with 15 reps, then two rest/pauses where I got 6 and 3 more reps. 24 reps total and my shit was lit up.

Moved onto upright rows from there. 135lbs on the smith machine, 4 sets of 10.

After that I do a superset or side and front lateral raises. I don’t feel my shoulders working much with dumbbells for those moves so I’ve been hitting cables. Struggling with progressing on them, so last night I took the weight down and made sure to hold the peak contraction of every rep for 3 seconds. That had my shoulders dying by the end.

Two moves for rear delts, and then a few sets of shrugs to finish off. Great pump, but still got to go heavy for the pressing movement to kick things off. Perfect workout.

Apex

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:18 pm

SAWCE wrote:
Yeah 100lb ohp is your strongest lift there for sure. I’d probably hut that for a few more cycles. Or, if you have 2.5lb weights, progress it by 5lbs total each cycle while everything else moves up by 10lbs.
:dat:
I’ll probably keep it at a hundo for a couple cycles to let everything else catch up.

I’ll throw some numbers in here once a week or so to keep me honest.

I didn’t realize how good it is to workout at 5am. I’ve had zero noticeable downside to it. Hopefully I can keep up a MWF routine so my weekends are still free. :like: so far

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Apex wrote:
SAWCE wrote:
I’ll probably keep it at a hundo for a couple cycles to let everything else catch up.

I didn’t realize how good it is to workout at 5am. I’ve had zero noticeable downside to it. Hopefully I can keep up a MWF routine so my weekends are still free. :like: so far
MWF is solid. There’s a 3 day bb split that I’ll probably run at some point in the near-ish future. Nice to have those weekends free for sure.

I can’t do 5am lifts and be there mentally to push and give my all, but more power to you for doing it. I can crank cardio out in the morning and that’s about it. I try to stay in bed for that though :hubba:

Apex

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:28 pm

SAWCE wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:23 pm
Apex wrote:

MWF is solid. There’s a 3 day bb split that I’ll probably run at some point in the near-ish future. Nice to have those weekends free for sure.

I can’t do 5am lifts and be there mentally to push and give my all, but more power to you for doing it. I can crank cardio out in the morning and that’s about it. I try to stay in bed for that though :hubba:
I’m still on baby weights; we’ll see how things go when it gets heavy. :lol:

Morning cardio :hubba:

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:31 pm

Cycle 11 off to decent start except for my OHP. Hit most of my reps, moved mucho mass, feeling strong. Doing drop sets on the lifts that I cant hit target reps on, so in this case the OHP and the Deadlift. I think the grip problems stalled my ability to do 7 or 8 reps on a heavy deadlift, but the straps have solved that issue.

onward and upward!
Weekly :fax:
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:49 pm

Reporting in on the rehab situation, not that any of it is particularly exciting.

August 1, 2019. DL-325
Squat-375
OHP-135
Bench-275
Weight 211

Then I fucked myself up BUT GOOD, C7 impingement leaving me crying like a schoolgirl, and gutting strength on my left side, down through the tricep into the index finger.....which is still a little numb, but better.

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the trauma was actually occassioned by the naked squat bar across my neck.....I have never like the pads because of control/feel issues and because he-man but NO LONGER. After trying front squats and hating them, I am padding up and getting back to work.

The bad.....wow, if you need the tricep, I am fucked. 4X10 unassisted dips before injury, now using 50 lbs of assistance and getting 8,6,4 reps. Tricep curls with 70 lb bar, now using 50 lb bar. OHP now 85 vs. 135.
Bench is THE MOST DEPRESSING. Could not move 175 last weekend.

The less bad. Pulled 245 X 4 last week, squats I am approaching very gingerly, prioritizing form......245X5 2 days ago.

In every single exercise going forward, I am focusing on a neck neutral , zero cervical stress form for every exercise. While it is depressing that so much work has been wasted, the continued work is getting me back to where I want to be and helping the healing process, in the last two weeks I am starting to feel more and more normal.

That's the report from the old man. Weighed in a 216 this morning, I should weigh 205 to approximate my pre-injury BMI. Sad! But back on it.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Also ordered a bag to carry my ever increasing array of shit around. I now have knee sleeves, the bar pad, straps, stretch bands, etc. etc.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

Apex

Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Glad to see you’re back at it Breh!

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Apex wrote:
While I was on oxycodone I ate the fuck out of cheeseburgers and their ilk. Then I knocked off the oxy but replaced that with way too much booze. None of this has been good for BMI.

Apex

Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:24 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 pm
Apex wrote:
While I was on oxycodone I ate the fuck out of cheeseburgers and their ilk. Then I knocked off the oxy but replaced that with way too much booze. None of this has been good for BMI.
Negative Ghostrider.

Now back to our regularly scheduled gainz.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:27 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Reporting in on the rehab situation, not that any of it is particularly exciting.

August 1, 2019. DL-325
Squat-375
OHP-135
Bench-275
Weight 211

Then I fucked myself up BUT GOOD, C7 impingement leaving me crying like a schoolgirl, and gutting strength on my left side, down through the tricep into the index finger.....which is still a little numb, but better.

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the trauma was actually occassioned by the naked squat bar across my neck.....I have never like the pads because of control/feel issues and because he-man but NO LONGER. After trying front squats and hating them, I am padding up and getting back to work.

The bad.....wow, if you need the tricep, I am fucked. 4X10 unassisted dips before injury, now using 50 lbs of assistance and getting 8,6,4 reps. Tricep curls with 70 lb bar, now using 50 lb bar. OHP now 85 vs. 135.

The less bad. Pulled 245 X 4 last week, squats I am approaching very gingerly, prioritizing form......245X5 2 days ago.

In every single exercise going forward, I am focusing on a neck neutral , zero cervical stress form for every exercise. While it is depressing that so much work has been wasted, the continued work is getting me back to where I want to be and helping the healing process, in the last two weeks I am starting to feel more and more normal.

That's the report from the old man. Weighed in a 216 this morning, I should weigh 205 to approximate my pre-injury BMI. Sad! But back on it.
Rough man, but glad you’re getting back on it.

Back squats are honestly overrated. Use the pad if t feels good, but if the movement in general isn’t great for your leverages, just skip it. Front squats are a great alternative for most people, and will give your code a nice challenge as well. Just have to find what position with your arms works best for you. Depending on what kind of gym you go to, they may have a safety squat bar.. it’ll have pads that come up over your shoulders/traps and the bar is cambered and shifts the weight out in front of you like a front squat. Goblet squats, sissy squats, etc can all replace the back squat in your programming too.

I can help you choose whatever variant will best support your goals if you want.

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Desertbreh wrote:

August 1, 2019. DL-325
Squat-375
OHP-135
Bench-275
Weight 211

glad you are back. do you listen to barbell logic? they have some excellent program notes for older d00ds
Weekly :fax:
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:22 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote:

August 1, 2019. DL-325
Squat-375
OHP-135
Bench-275
Weight 211

glad you are back. do you listen to barbell logic? they have some excellent program notes for older d00ds
No but after my first real kick in the balls from Father Time, I'm taking a more scholarly approach to all of this so will check it out.

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 pm

SAWCE wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:

August 1, 2019. DL-325
Squat-375
OHP-135
Bench-275
Weight 211

Back squats are honestly overrated. Use the pad if t feels good, but if the movement in general isn’t great for your leverages, just skip it. Front squats are a great alternative for most people, and will give your code a nice challenge as well. Just have to find what position with your arms works best for you. Depending on what kind of gym you go to, they may have a safety squat bar.. it’ll have pads that come up over your shoulders/traps and the bar is cambered and shifts the weight out in front of you like a front squat. Goblet squats, sissy squats, etc can all replace the back squat in your programming too.

I can help you choose whatever variant will best support your goals if you want.
Investigated. Do not have the SSB, but it looks badass. Great tips, will hammer the goblet squats next week. You're a brocyclopedia, Brandon. Thanks.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:52 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
SAWCE wrote:

Investigated. Do not have the SSB, but it looks badass. Great tips, will hammer the goblet squats next week. You're a brocyclopedia, Brandon. Thanks.
Any time my man. I think you’ve got my contact info. Feel free to hit me up outside of here if there’s ever any question while you’re in the gym and would like a faster response.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:54 pm

Didn’t make it up to LBC tonight. Hit a quick arm day at my gym. Nice little pump. Shoulders and arms definitely growing a bit.

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:05 pm

SAWCE wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:52 pm
Desertbreh wrote:

Any time my man. I think you’ve got my contact info. Feel free to hit me up outside of here if there’s ever any question while you’re in the gym and would like a faster response.

Will do. Truly appreciated.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:18 pm

Arms finally breaking 17”. Left one is just over, right one is 17.25”. Not a bad size, but they still look thin to me with how long they are. Need to get to that 18-19” range at least.

Apex

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:26 pm

SAWCE wrote:
Arms finally breaking 17”. Left one is just over, right one is 17.25”. Not a bad size, but they still look thin to me with how long they are. Need to get to that 18-19” range at least.
Dubs or bust.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 pm

Apex wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:26 pm
SAWCE wrote:
Dubs or bust.
One day for sure!

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:51 pm

SAWCE wrote:
Didn’t make it up to LBC tonight. Hit a quick arm day at my gym. Nice little pump. Shoulders and arms definitely growing a bit.

Text pic to Latina. :notbad:

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:00 am

Desertbreh wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:51 pm
SAWCE wrote:

Text pic to Latina. :notbad:
It’s on my Instagram story. She’ll see it. Bet she replies with a 😍

Johnny_P
Drives: Burble

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Re: Gyms

Thinking of joining Lisa and I up to a local gym. She wants to get a bit more fit. I am just bored every morning.

What is a reasonable cost to expect to pay?
I'm reading a lot of stuff about it being damn near impossible to cancel a membership at a few near my house, is this a typical gym trait?
Is planet fitness really as terrible as it sounds?

• Information