DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:23 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:13 pm

You got it!

Back to our first posts. For protein.. do you take a protein supplement? If not, it's an easy, relatively cheap way to get that intake up. A two-scoop shake right after your workout is gonna boost you up 44-50g depending on the brand you buy.

If you don't want to use whey, plant-based powder, casein, or any other protein "supplement", I would recommend at least tracking your meat/egg/dairy intake to try to get that number up. You don't have to go :fullretard: :math: and count all of your macros/calories, but get a cheap food/weed scale to leave on your kitchen counter, and just try to hit 4-6oz of chicken/beef (cooked weight) a few times a day. Aim for the higher side with beef since it'll have more fat thus less protein, plus it's easier to get down more beef than protein due to the fat and flavor.

4oz chicken (breast) will give you about 34g or protein.
6oz will give you about 51g.

4oz ground beef (90% lean) will give you about 28g protein.
6oz will give you about 42g.

Hit a breakfast with eggs, egg whites, bacon, sausage, whatever it takes to get you to 50g for that meal, then a 6oz chicken meal, for lunch, 2 scoops of protein post workout or for a snack, and 6oz beef/steak for dinner and you've got a good 200g right there.
My breakfast is, 5 out of 6 days, a shake composed of a scoop of Chocolate whey (Coscto buy) 1/2 a banana, and milk. Slam that, then on the way to work I swallow a multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin d, some nature boy BP pill, two turmerics capsules, and a probiotic. Lunch is usually a Chicken breast from Pollo Loco or some other lean brotein. Dinner I need to work on, discipline wise. I pretty much bagged out on beer except for sushi joints but IRL I think my expectation that giving that up was going to melt away weight just let me eat shit like girl scout cookies with abandon. Now curbing that problem. Booze is limited to whiskey on ice or red wine, I drink it PRN.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:30 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:23 pm
My breakfast is, 5 out of 6 days, a shake composed of a scoop of Chocolate whey (Coscto buy) 1/2 a banana, and milk. Slam that, then on the way to work I swallow a multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin d, some nature boy BP pill, two turmerics capsules, and a probiotic. Lunch is usually a Chicken breast from Pollo Loco or some other lean brotein. Dinner I need to work on, discipline wise. I pretty much bagged out on beer except for sushi joints but IRL I think my expectation that giving that up was going to melt away weight just let me eat shit like girl scout cookies with abandon. Now curbing that problem. Booze is limited to whiskey on ice or red wine, I drink it PRN.
Not bad. Throw the extra protein in post-workout if you feel like it, and have a good portion of a lean protein for dinner and you’re well on your way.
SAWCE

Filmed that video. It’s about 5 minutes. Don’t think it’ll post in here, so anyone who wants it kick me your email address.

Bonus, at the end you’ll see the dude I complain about talking to me literally walk up while I’m working and start showing me shit in his phone. :neat:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:01 pm Filmed that video. It’s about 5 minutes. Don’t think it’ll post in here, so anyone who wants it kick me your email address.

Bonus, at the end you’ll see the dude I complain about talking to me literally walk up while I’m working and start showing me shit in his phone. :neat:
Sent.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Good arm session last night.

Started with an activation exercise where you just rest a 5lb plate in your hand and do curls with that. You keep your palm and fingers flat, and shorten the range of motion to where the plate won't slide off your hand. The idea is to learn to take your forearms out of bicep curls since your fingers are flat open and you aren't using any grip strength to keep the plate in place. Two sets of 10 reps each arm for those.

After that I did day 1 on that arm program I linked here a page or two back.

Eccentric focused barbell curls. Four sets of eight reps, every rep gets a five second eccentric. Started with 55lbs, worked up to 85. That last rep with 85 I couldn't do the full 5 seconds, so I'll stay at that weight.

After that, two sets of incline dumbbell curls supersetting with alternating standing dumbbell curls. Sets of 10 for the incline, going to failure with good form on the standing. Five second eccentrics on every rep here too. I was using 20lb dumbbells and fuck they burnt bad.

Hit the DC style bicep stretch after those were done. More excruciating pain. I could only hold the full stretch for about 20 seconds. I'll have to work my way up to the recommended 60-90 seconds.

Triceps next. I forgot to do the warm up sets for triceps and moved straight into the banded close grip bench press. Took a minute to figure out the best way to set up my band, but once I got it going I hit the two sets of 8 reps with 155lbs plus the band tension and they felt great.

PJR pullovers after that. Think a dumbbell pull over for your chest mixed with skull crushers. Two sets of 20 reps had my shit burning bad. Very elbow friendly too which is nice since I've been getting some pain in my right elbow/forearm.

Did DC stretching for triceps after. Hit 35 seconds on each arm, but realized the weight was being supported by the bench a bit, so I'll have to tweak them next time so that all the weight is stretching my triceps out.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

:notbad: :sauce:

I hit week 2 day one 531 today, squats and bench presses. I got 8 squats at 285 and 10 bench presses at 185. Since it had been since sunday that i had worked out, I did some additional work on the bench in the from of drop a drop set of BP's for 1x10, 1x10 and 1 x 5 of squats at 185, some banded pullups, and some front sqauts at 135.

Feeling pretty good so far, hopefully i can make some time to train saturday or sunday and get back on schedule.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Nice dudes. Dropsets, or back-off sets if you aren't doing them as a continuous dropset, are a great way to get in some extra volume without frying your CNS going heavy all the time.
SAWCE

Really good shoulder workout tonight. Almost finished my last set of smith machine shoulder press with 225. I got 8 on my own, and had Michelle spot me through 10, then did a drop set to 185x6 and 135x5.

She finally switched from the commercial Chuze gym to a legit gym up the street from our place called Boulevard Fitness. I’ll likely switch my membership there when my 6 months at Stern’s is up in May. There are a few machines they’re lacking, but they have the basics and I’ll be able to get some good workouts in there.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

first workout of week 3 cycle 2 (531) , hit all my squats at 305 for 7 reps, missed a couple on the bench at 195. Was shotting for 9 got 7. Supplemented with some volume on the bench at 135. all in all :notbad: progressing nicely. I guess thats the name of the game in this intermediate training phase...
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

After two weeks of not getting to fully hit rack deads (PL bro hogging the rack week 1, and lost my straps/shitty trainer hogging the rack week 2) I finally got to truely hit 435 on rack deads tonight. First time doing the weight with straps and my normal setup, got 10 reps easy my first set. Second set moved a bit slower, but still hit 10 :fuckyeah: Third set I had to tap out at 8 reps, but still feeling good considering I’d never touched this weight before. Set four I’m feeling good, then on my seventh rep, felt a twinge in my right hamstring. About 1/3 of the way up my leg. Called the set after that rep to not make things worse. I think it’s a minor pull, not a tear, but it’s still hurting a bit. Made it through the rest of my workout fine, although doing standing t-bar rows I could feel that it was right as I was bent over.

Supposed to squat tomorrow, but I’ll see how it feels in the morning as I do my cardio, and how it feels on some hamstring curls as I warm up for squats.
SAWCE

Hmmm. hammy is still a bit tender this morning. Not stoked about that. I'll go through my normal warm up of extension and curl supersets, then slowly work up to what should be my working weight on squats to test it out. I'm trying to keep my squats as quad dominant as possible, but my hamstrings definitely assist in the movement, so I don't want to just go balls out and actually tear the thing if it's compromised right now.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:23 am Hmmm. hammy is still a bit tender this morning. Not stoked about that. I'll go through my normal warm up of extension and curl supersets, then slowly work up to what should be my working weight on squats to test it out. I'm trying to keep my squats as quad dominant as possible, but my hamstrings definitely assist in the movement, so I don't want to just go balls out and actually tear the thing if it's compromised right now.
:( dang, hopefully its just a pull. I've been pulling lots of muscles lately it seems, but they always feel better in a few days.

I think I'm supposed to pull 310 friday for my next workout, looking forward to it. Then yard work for cardio :disgust:
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:51 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:23 am Hmmm. hammy is still a bit tender this morning. Not stoked about that. I'll go through my normal warm up of extension and curl supersets, then slowly work up to what should be my working weight on squats to test it out. I'm trying to keep my squats as quad dominant as possible, but my hamstrings definitely assist in the movement, so I don't want to just go balls out and actually tear the thing if it's compromised right now.
:( dang, hopefully its just a pull. I've been pulling lots of muscles lately it seems, but they always feel better in a few days.

I think I'm supposed to pull 310 friday for my next workout, looking forward to it. Then yard work for cardio :disgust:
Yard work is one of the few things that makes me want to grab a crispy beer. Bust your ass for a few hours, sweating out in the sun, then go to a hole in the wall and get a pitcher of something light, possibly mexican, and a platter of buffalo wings.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:00 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:51 am

Yard work is one of the few things that makes me want to grab a crispy beer. Bust your ass for a few hours, sweating out in the sun, then go to a hole in the wall and get a pitcher of something light, possibly mexican, and a platter of buffalo wings.
its very possible beers will be had
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Slow morning here in the office. Gonna go find the foam roller we have and see how that feels on my hamstring.
SAWCE

I"ve been experimenting with different handles for the bent over t-bar rows, and think I found a winner last night. Normally you'll see dudes throw a V row handle from a cable machine under the bar and use that. Some gyms have handles designed to slip over the end of the barbell where you'd load the weights, these work a little better since they come out further and extend your ROM. My gym doesn't have that, which lead to me experiementing. Tried a few different V handles, didn't love any of them. Two weeks ago I tried a handle that was two individual cable machine grips connected by a strap, but it was a little too long, and even with 25lb plates loaded on the bar, I couldn't fully extend my arms while being bent over corretly. Last night I found something similar, but it's just a reinforced leather strap, maybe 18" long with loops on either end. Perfect length, and while the loops kinda hurt your hands to hold during the set, the fact that your hands aren't in fixed positions means you can spread them apart a bit as you row the weight up, and really retract your shoulder blades and squeeze your lower traps and rhomboids.

The strap has a D-ring on the back side of it in the middle, so I'm going to try it for my pulldowns next week. My only concern is that my biceps will take over that movement because of how hard you have to grip the strap. I'll figure out a work-around for that as I go though.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Pulled 315 this morning. Hit that milestone after about 2.5 years of deadlift work. On to 405.
Weight down from 227 to 223.

Working on giving the lab guy, my doctor and the life insurance nurse the middle finger.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:28 pm Pulled 315 this morning. Hit that milestone after about 2.5 years of deadlift work. On to 405.

Working on giving the lab guy, my doctor and the life insurance nurse the middle finger.
:fuckyeah:
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:28 pm Pulled 315 this morning. Hit that milestone after about 2.5 years of deadlift work. On to 405.

Fuck yeah dude!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:37 pm

:fuckyeah:
:dat:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:43 pm

Fuck yeah dude!
Was pleased with the DL. Will stick with the 330 1RM for a while and build some volume.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:53 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:43 pm

Fuck yeah dude!
Was pleased with the DL. Will stick with the 330 1RM for a while and build some volume.
Those bands show up in the mail yet?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:53 pm

En route.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:59 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:57 pm

En route.
:nice: Excited to hear how they help you out.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:03 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:59 pm

En route.
:nice: Excited to hear how they help you out.
Yeah I'm stoked to try 'em. At the end of the day shoulder issues are a barrier to my OHP and chest progress.