Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:22 pm https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... 53183/NONE

Woa, Zil twin.
8 year old four cylinder truck for 28 grand. What a time to be alive.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:22 pm https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... 53183/NONE

Woa, Zil twin.
Oh shit, I thought it was a V6.

Now is NOT the time to buy anything vehicular related, clearly.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Woa, Zil twin.
Engine:
159 hp 2.7L I4

Transmission:
4-Speed Automatic Overdrive

Yep, this :truk: delivers. Crazy, it was probably sub $25K new.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:29 pm

Engine:
159 hp 2.7L I4

Transmission:
4-Speed Automatic Overdrive

Yep, this :truk: delivers. Crazy, it was probably sub $25K new.
No miles on it, relatively, but still...who the hell would pay this much for a gutless 4 banger like this? :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Just verified, a 2021 Taco starts at $26.5K :lolol:

:nope: , fuck that $28K 159 hp beast.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

That 2.7 motor is a turd
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:41 pm Just verified, a 2021 Taco starts at $26.5K :lolol:

Those trucks don't exist. $26.5k is purely hypothetical.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:17 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:41 pm Just verified, a 2021 Taco starts at $26.5K :lolol:

That may be true, but it doesn't make an eight year old one that is fairly basic in spec somehow worth more than that.

:ohwell:

What a weird world we live in in 2021.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:07 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:17 am
That may be true, but it doesn't make an eight year old one that is fairly basic in spec somehow worth more than that.

:ohwell:

What a weird world we live in in 2021.
Yep, the world doesn't make sense anymore.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Shit, my GTI has positive equity. What a time to be alive.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:47 pm And I thought I overpaid last October at $22k.

Seems I chose wisely, for now.
:dat:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Finally have a deal worked out on a used Acura RDX. Going to try and put a deposit down today.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:47 pm And I thought I overpaid last October at $22k.

Seems I chose wisely, for now.
You will be just fine, I think if you drive it for five years it'll end up like a regular Taco, losing $500-1K/year, which is pretty damn dece, really.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Just checked out Carvana on our cars for shits and gigs to see if the market is getting any less dumb... and it looks like maybe it is slightly. My offer on the BMcuckleU is right at what I paid for it, the :jeep: has actually depreciated about $400 apparently! Less than $0.02 per mile depreciation :doe: , :notbad:

By comparison, when I bought the cuckleU round one, I recall noting that the first owner of that lost somewhere between $1.25-1.50 per mile.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:10 am if you drive it for five years
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:26 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:10 am if you drive it for five years
:notwrong:

He does seem like a bit of a changed man/content with Taco life.

:popcorn:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:22 pm Shit, my GTI has positive equity. What a time to be alive.
trade for the other :plac: mobile, le scatpack
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:46 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:26 am

:yeahok:

Once the market gets more normal, it'll be game on. :popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:27 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:46 am

We shall see. I certainly wouldn't bet against this outcome.

I am curious if I end up :plac: or not IF/when things go back to normal. I am honestly rather content with the :aintcare: BMW. :tits: and I are discussing :baby: which would probably remove a GR86 from the equation. :notsure: if there is much else I really want... I have been driving more in the past week for various reasons though, I've found I do miss the :poorvette: a bit sometimes.
ChrisoftheNorth

In other news, a month or so ago I reached out to my local Toyota :dillerman: to let me know when they got a new Tacoma with power seats in so I could come sit in it and take it for a drive. Dude contacted me today out of blue :impressive: to let me know they just got in a TuRD Sport I can come check out.

Word is the power seats make a big difference in comfort and headroom, so I'm looking forward to checking the truck out. I won't be buying it, but if I like it, I may discuss with them trying to get a TuRD OffRoad Access Cab in somehow.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:27 pm

I am curious if I end up :plac: or not IF/when things go back to normal. I am honestly rather content with the :aintcare: BMW. :tits: and I are discussing :baby: which would probably remove a GR86 from the equation. :notsure: if there is much else I really want... I have been driving more in the past week for various reasons though, I've found I do miss the :poorvette: a bit sometimes.
:baby: will destroy any :plac: thoughts, or at least it should. You guys have fine :baby: mobiles, and you'll have plenty of other things to focus spending on instead. #adulting
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:37 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:33 pm

:baby: will destroy any :plac: thoughts, or at least it should. You guys have fine :baby: mobiles, and you'll have plenty of other things to focus spending on instead. #adulting
Yeah, we will see. :iono: I am still kind of :aintcare: on the money aspect, I think :tits: just gets :triggered: by the large Jeep payment and somehow can't wrap her head around the fact that it is a free car basically. In a way she is :notwrong:

I do feel like the CTR is the ultimate dad car, but I just don't know if I care enough to pay 3X the price for it over the Beemah, especially knowing that I would be far more :triggered: with it sitting outside and being somewhat neglected. That's what's been so great about the BMW, I take it through the automated wash monthly, clean the interior like once per month or two, I'll keep up with mechanical maintenance, but otherwise just really don't give a shit about it, which has been very freeing. It still looks good, drives well, and is pretty comfy and fuel efficient.

I feel like if :baby: comes in to play at any point, I would rather spend any personal time I do have on cycling over car shit.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I'm more interested in buying more guitar/bike/house shit than a car at this point, some of which is subject to the same :bs: as cars these days as far as prices/availability.

It turns out that not driving for 2 years is a good way to stop the :plac: cycle.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:37 pm
Yeah, we will see. :iono: I am still kind of :aintcare: on the money aspect, I think :tits: just gets :triggered: by the large Jeep payment and somehow can't wrap her head around the fact that it is a free car basically. In a way she is :notwrong:

I do feel like the CTR is the ultimate dad car, but I just don't know if I care enough to pay 3X the price for it over the Beemah, especially knowing that I would be far more :triggered: with it sitting outside and being somewhat neglected. That's what's been so great about the BMW, I take it through the automated wash monthly, clean the interior like once per month or two, I'll keep up with mechanical maintenance, but otherwise just really don't give a shit about it, which has been very freeing. It still looks good, drives well, and is pretty comfy and fuel efficient.

I feel like if :baby: comes in to play at any point, I would rather spend any personal time I do have on cycling over car shit.
Having a relatively fun car is a nice escape from the doldrums of chasing babies around, my dude. Not saying you have to get the CTR, but sometimes if I need to run an errand and only have 20 minutes in the car alone, I'm fucking glad it's a car I enjoy. That's the entire reason the GTI is still around.