Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:55 am
Well, it's 17 years old and a Camry, so pretty much used up poverty to most people.

Anything lightly used, that's within 5 model years old, is within a few $k of new MSRP right now. Vroom offered MSRP for our Crosstrek with 3k miles on it. That means they think they can sell it for more than new MSRP. :mindblown: :wat: :fullretard:
Vroom just offered my friend $31k for his 2018 green GTI with 7k miles. He paid $25k for it new.
The madness is real.

I found a 21 Tacoma Sport access cab 6MT on Carvana. 2k miles on it, basically new. $42k was the price, and it had a link to the original window sticker showing it was $37k MSRP. :hellno: :wat: Just wait.

Unless you get screwed like Troy's friend. Hopefully insurance pays the full new amount.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:59 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:49 pm

Vroom just offered my friend $31k for his 2018 green GTI with 7k miles. He paid $25k for it new.
The madness is real.

I found a 21 Tacoma Sport access cab 6MT on Carvana. 2k miles on it, basically new. $42k was the price, and it had a link to the original window sticker showing it was $37k MSRP. :hellno: :wat: Just wait.

Unless you get screwed like Troy's friend. Hopefully insurance pays the full new amount.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... 55908/NONE
ChrisoftheNorth

MrH42 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:59 pm
The madness is real.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... 55908/NONE
There's actually a brand new crew cab TuRD OR :manuel: at a :dillerman: 100 miles from me for the same price. BUT, I don't want a crew cab, I really want an access cab for the bigger bed utility. Which means no :manuel: :ohwell:

Access cab TuRD ORs don't exist in the midwest.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:00 pm
There's actually a brand new crew cab TuRD OR :manuel: at a :dillerman: 100 miles from me for the same price. BUT, I don't want a crew cab, I really want an access cab for the bigger bed utility. Which means no :manuel: :ohwell:

What about dat Frontier? Any interest or is the Toyota thing strictly for resale
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:13 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:00 pm

What about dat Frontier? Any interest or is the Toyota thing strictly for resale
My rules for buying a vehicle right now are:
1.) New
2.) Outstanding resale before 2020

I don't even want a Tacoma. I've never been a fan due to meh powertrain and drive, horrible headroom, and meh interior. But residual value is no joke on those things and my wife absolutely loves them for some reason. If I had to buy a vehicle right now, a TuRD OR access cab appeals to me the most as it would do everything I want and I could off it later without losing much if anything.

The new Frontier looks ok, but meh. If I could score a deal on a used one, I'd seriously consider...but that's proven to be not the case. New residual will probably be just as crappy as the last one. Also can't get an extended cab Bro4x, which I'd really like.

What I REALLY want is a Colorado ZR2 Extended cab, BUT I'm still a bit :notsure: about the powertrain, and the things are insanely inflated in value. I remember giving back my ZR2 in 2019 when the lease was up and trade values were in the high $20k range with 28k miles on the 2017 truck. Now, my exact truck is a high-$30k truck. Extended cabs don't seem to be out there at all, and when they pop up they're commanding more than crews, which was never the case before. If I pay $40k for an ext cab ZR2, I'd lose my ass on it in a year or so. Plus, that 3.6 and 8-speed is :notsure: durability in the long run.

I'm really just going to wait. If I bought something, it would just sit 99% of the time since I don't go anywhere. If I keep the boat local, I don't even need to deal with the 250 mile tow. And with that, wildcard option could be a new BRZ which makes me super :excited: for some reason.

Also still considering a #vanlyfe build.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Get a van that can tow the boat
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:36 pm Get a van that can tow the boat
ChrisoftheNorth

Exactly. Any #vanlyfe build would be capable of that.

The debate right now is how much we'd actually#vanlyfe vs driving the Subaru around to different Airbnb's. Vans are stupid pricey
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:39 pm
:mindblown: Doesn't need to tow the boat if it is one!
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:14 am

The debate right now is how much we'd actually#vanlyfe vs driving the Subaru around to different Airbnb's. Vans are stupid pricey
That’s why I never pursued it. Anything I’d want to do with a van I could accomplish with a tent and literally any other vehicle.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:43 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:14 am

That’s why I never pursued it. Anything I’d want to do with a van I could accomplish with a tent and literally any other vehicle.
There are a few benefits of a van over a tent...

Comfortably sleeping in rest stops and/or in public (Cracker Barrel, Walmart, etc)

Ease/speed of setup... i.e. just park and camp.

Ability to carry all your stuff easily, which would be big if gone for months at a time.

That said, a van is $60k minimum. That's a tough one IMO. The Cucktrek and RTT can do just about anything a Van can, other than easily sleeping in public and carrying a lot of stuff. The question really is: how much does that matter?
troyguitar

Van is pretty epic for long trips or staying anywhere near civilization. Not my thing anymore, but I could see it being great for some people with remote jobs. Drive to wherever, work from coffee shops or parks ZFG, ride bikes or play muzak the rest of the time.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:25 am Van is pretty epic for long trips or staying anywhere near civilization. Not my thing anymore, but I could see it being great for some people with remote jobs. Drive to wherever, work from coffee shops or parks ZFG, ride bikes or play muzak the rest of the time.
This is the romantic idea, yes.

But in practice, internet is pretty crappy unless you're in a major area. At which point, it's probably easier to just jump from airbnb to airbnb. And for $60k, you can stay in a LOT of airbnbs.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

$60k buys a looooot of plane tickets and hotel nights at nice places. You have to really love sleeping in a car and shittin in the woods and rest stops to justify the price of it all.
troyguitar

MrH42 wrote:$60k buys a looooot of plane tickets and hotel nights at nice places. You have to really love sleeping in a car and shittin in the woods and rest stops to justify the price of it all.
At ~$200 a night in any metro area it buys you a year, plus you're hopefully no longer paying rent back "home" and the van should retain some nonzero value - dunno, seems a worthwhile way to explore different areas for a few years.

It's obviously not my thing :doe:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:14 am
MrH42 wrote:$60k buys a looooot of plane tickets and hotel nights at nice places. You have to really love sleeping in a car and shittin in the woods and rest stops to justify the price of it all.
At ~$200 a night in any metro area it buys you a year, plus you're hopefully no longer paying rent back "home" and the van should retain some nonzero value - dunno, seems a worthwhile way to explore different areas for a few years.

A year is a long time to be vacationing around. Gotta take into account time value of that $60k, etc too. But yeah. If you're going to spend a year away from home, then it makes sense. I see tons of people dropping $50k-$100k on a trailer, only to use it for maybe a few weeks in a year. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around that justification.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:14 am

Ah, you're talking about living out of the thing. That's a different discussion. While I don't think it's as realistic as many think, it would be doable and certainly more financially friendly.

I'm talking about being away from home for 1-2 mos a year. For that, you're getting a few years for your $60k. In our particular case, we have family we could stay with in SoCal and Phoenix, so we could probably get close to a month total for free.
ChrisoftheNorth

MrH42 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:19 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:14 am At ~$200 a night in any metro area it buys you a year, plus you're hopefully no longer paying rent back "home" and the van should retain some nonzero value - dunno, seems a worthwhile way to explore different areas for a few years.

A year is a long time to be vacationing around. Gotta take into account time value of that $60k, etc too. But yeah. If you're going to spend a year away from home, then it makes sense. I see tons of people dropping $50k-$100k on a trailer, only to use it for maybe a few weeks in a year. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around that justification.
People love to :troywax: on RVs...trailers, vans, etc. just to use them a few times a year. The reality is that parks (local, state, national) book up FAST and often 6-12mo in advance, so you can't really just hit the road and start camping. Yes, there's first come first served sites and yes, you can camp on open .gov land in the middle of nowhere, but first come first served we've found tend to fill up fast and you need a pretty capable vehicle to go "off the grid". And when you are "off the grid" you're literally disconnected from everything, making remote work impossible.

I think there's going to be a hard crash in RV values when people realize that they're not as useful as they seem. A massive debt or cash outlay for something to use a few times a year is dumb. Expectations will not match reality.
troyguitar

Yeah, when I say van lyfe I mean living in a van down by the river. For occasional use you're better off with a hotel or a tent.
ChrisoftheNorth

But that also brings up why a van is appealing to me. Starting with a blank slate, it could be built to be flexible in that when it's not a camper, it can haul things inside, tow things, and be a decent overall "pickup truck". For me, a van would become my all-around vehicle, not just something that sits next to the house and used rarely. I don't NEED to go anywhere on my own, so the larger size isn't the end of the world. A short wheelbase and length Transit is about the size of a base F-150.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

TRD OR access cab 6MT is off the order books for 2022 model years apparently.

SR or Sport trims only.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:14 am At ~$200 a night in any metro area it buys you a year, plus you're hopefully no longer paying rent back "home" and the van should retain some nonzero value - dunno, seems a worthwhile way to explore different areas for a few years.

My parents did this. Bought a big ass trailer. Had to buy a new truck to haul it. Rona prices at that so full MSRP. So what $80 grand? And they get 10 MPG towing it.

Compared to my moms Mazda which gets 35? MPG highway… each trip up to me costs them an additional $500-$550 in fuel and tolls.

$80k plus $550/trip the costs make absolutely no sense.
troyguitar

YOLO
ChrisoftheNorth

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:32 pm TRD OR access cab 6MT is off the order books for 2022 model years apparently.

SR or Sport trims only.
I don't think TuRD OR access cab ever had the 6MT option, at least I've never found even a used one.

A Sport trim would be ok, but an OR 6AT wouldn't be the end of the world. I want a long bed more than anything else for utility. OR would be nice because I miss going off-road and a TuRD OR will go anywhere I could want.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:40 am

My parents did this. Bought a big ass trailer. Had to buy a new truck to haul it. Rona prices at that so full MSRP. So what $80 grand? And they get 10 MPG towing it.

Compared to my moms Mazda which gets 35? MPG highway… each trip up to me costs them an additional $500-$550 in fuel and tolls.

$80k plus $550/trip the costs make absolutely no sense.
For retired people, I think it depends on trips and how they use it. My old man dropped $140k on his diesel pusher motorhome, and the fucker lives out of it now for 10 mos of the year. He actually wants to sell his house and live out of it permanently, and we've had to convince him otherwise to keep his financial picture diversified.

He stays all over the country and he's seen more in the last year or so than he has in his entire 70 year lifetime. He's getting his money's worth.